Bring back the “ Big Break “ !!!

Comments

• Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    I loved Big Break. So nice to see a golf reality competition. I would bring it back with an Ultimate Fighter type format:

Break them into 2 teams, with a celebrity coach on each team, and pick individual match ups for 9 holes with the winners going onto the next round. Maybe add a few side challenges for cash, rewards or advantages going into the matches (i.e. a mulligan, lengths of string). The winner gets a start in the Web.com or something.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • InterpolInterpol POWWWWWW Members Posts: 1,023
    BigSky59 wrote:

I remember watching when Tony Finau was a contestant, not having a clue or care who the kid was. Never thought to myself "this kid can hit cool trick shots around a wall, he will play in the Ryder Cup some day." Awesome to see where he is now in the world of golf...

Too bad Tony's brother didn't fare as well (they were on the series together if I recall correctly).

The guy I remember most vividly is that hotheaded jackass on BB Disney. I think Blake was his name.
    Cobra King F9, Atmos TS 7X
    Ping G 3W
    Ping G30 3H
    TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52, 56
    Nike X3X 60
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
  • 81Ralph3381Ralph33 Southern California Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Bingo1976 wrote:
    I loved Big Break. So nice to see a golf reality competition. I would bring it back with an Ultimate Fighter type format:

Break them into 2 teams, with a celebrity coach on each team, and pick individual match ups for 9 holes with the winners going onto the next round. Maybe add a few side challenges for cash, rewards or advantages going into the matches (i.e. a mulligan, lengths of string). The winner gets a start in the Web.com or something.

I love this idea. Hire this man and make it happen!
  • bblack_91240bblack_91240 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Man I LOVED that show. I’ve always wanted to try to hit a punch into glass window panes because of it or flop it over a wall. Now we get Driver vs. Driver...
    WITB
    TaylorMade M3 460 9.5° - Fujikura Speeder Motore TS 7.2X
    TaylorMade M3 3wd 15° - Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X
    TaylorMade M3 5wd 19° - Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X
    Nike Vapor Speed 3 Iron (19°) - Matrix Ozik Black Tie HM4 105X (Sans 5wd)
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Nike Engage Wedges
    52° Square
    56° Square
    60° Dual Sole
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Putter 35"
  • ryan84ryan84 Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
    I LOVED Indian Wells. Shanker the driving range pro was one of my all time favorites.
    Epic SZ 9 deg GD AD-DI 6x Black
    2016 m2 15 deg stock x-stiff
    TM M3 19 deg hybrid, Tensei blue 80 x-stiff
    Ping iblades 4-pw proj x 6.5
    TM Milled Grind 50,55,60
    Spider Tour Red Double Bend w/ sightline
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX
    Interpol wrote:

BigSky59 wrote:

I remember watching when Tony Finau was a contestant, not having a clue or care who the kid was. Never thought to myself "this kid can hit cool trick shots around a wall, he will play in the Ryder Cup some day." Awesome to see where he is now in the world of golf...

Too bad Tony's brother didn't fare as well (they were on the series together if I recall correctly).

The guy I remember most vividly is that hotheaded jackass on BB Disney. I think Blake was his name.

Tony’s brother was Gipper wasn’t he? And if I recall correctly (which is always a huge ????) wasn’t Gipper the one thought to have a better chance of making it?

Don “Pull it Tight” Donatello and Brian “Too Pure” (cant remeber his last name) were the two that still stick out to me. We still use those two phrases in our group.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • InterpolInterpol POWWWWWW Members Posts: 1,023

Tony’s brother was Gipper wasn’t he? And if I recall correctly (which is always a huge ????) wasn’t Gipper the one thought to have a better chance of making it?

That's right, his name was Gipper. And the producers hyped him up much more than they did Tony. Ironic...
    Cobra King F9, Atmos TS 7X
    Ping G 3W
    Ping G30 3H
    TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52, 56
    Nike X3X 60
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
  • Jwin323Jwin323 Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭
    averysdad wrote:

My favorite cast member ever on there was Don “pull that tape tight!” Donatello. I was pulling for him and also wanted to punch him in the face. I miss the show too. That new show they were doing at top golf was horrible. I never could even make it thru one episode.

That guy was an a$$bag. Back then he was running his mouth when he was caddying for Kevin Na. I offered to play him straight up for $10K and he couldn’t find his balls. Kept running his mouth though.
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,179 ✭✭
    I’m not denying he wasn’t...I just felt like he really and truly loved the game whether or not he made it or not. But the tv show only captures what we saw...didn’t know he was quite THIS guy.
  • melly9melly9 Members Posts: 29
    Brian Cooper from Big Break Puerto Rico just got his card for Champions Tour. Great guy.
  • XWIUhacker3XWIUhacker3 Members Posts: 102 ✭✭
    I tried out for it 5-6 years ago. Flew to Orlando for tryouts. Unfortunately didn’t make it. It was fun!
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Tour AD DI 7s
    KZG 3 Wood AD DI 6s
    Titleist 990 2i
    New Level 623-M 4-PW DG 120s
    Titleist Vokey 52*
    Titleist Vokey 56*
    Titleist Vokey 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless 303
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,869 ClubWRX
    I would love to see it come back, but with more focus on real golf and not silly competitions with weird shots.
    TaylorMade M1 9.5* Tour Issue - Black AD DI 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    I liked seeing how the big break contestants fared in their careers. Neat to see names like Richie Werenski pop up on a leaderboard from time to time.

And Matt Every.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,386 ✭✭
    Was an entertaining show, I'd watch it if they brought it back.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,069 ClubWRX
    Absolutely bring it back. Maybe we'll discover another Tommy Two Gloves and......who was that barefooted guy??? Lol. Lots of good fun and characters more on the amateur side.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    PING G25 blue dot, 5-L, graphite reg
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,069 ClubWRX
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:
    I would love to see it come back, but with more focus on real golf and not silly competitions with weird shots.

Has to be competitions or it is just crappy golf.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    PING G25 blue dot, 5-L, graphite reg
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • csufmancsufman CaliforniaMembers Posts: 145 ✭✭
    When i finally got the golf channel they decided to cancel the show...fml.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,386 ✭✭
    I could do without a lot of the crazier challenges, breaking glass and the flop wall are fun but not really an indication of golf skill. I prefer more of the on course scenarios, approach shot, driving, putting and chipping accuracy. I liked making the bottom 3 play match play to decide who goes home.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • Big Oh!Big Oh! Knownuttin Members Posts: 51
    I really enjoyed the Big Break and I was disappointed when it was cancelled. It would be great if they updated it and brought I back, I would watch it for sure.
    Driver - MizinoST-80 10.5 Degree
    Fairway - MIzuno ST180 15 and18 Degree
    Hybrid - Mizuno CLK Hybrid 22 Degree
    Irons - Mizuno - JPX-900 Hot Metal, 5 - PW
    Wedges - Mizuno S-18 50-56-60
    Putter - EVNROLL 1.2 Tour Blade
    Ball - Titleist AVX and Tour Soft
  • Big Oh!Big Oh! Knownuttin Members Posts: 51
    Yeah, the Top Golf Show sucked!
    Driver - MizinoST-80 10.5 Degree
    Fairway - MIzuno ST180 15 and18 Degree
    Hybrid - Mizuno CLK Hybrid 22 Degree
    Irons - Mizuno - JPX-900 Hot Metal, 5 - PW
    Wedges - Mizuno S-18 50-56-60
    Putter - EVNROLL 1.2 Tour Blade
    Ball - Titleist AVX and Tour Soft
  • bkloessbkloess Members Posts: 42
    It was such a good show. It helped guys like Tony Finau.

I do like the Driver vs. Driver show as well. Golf Channel needs some more good shows to go along with the regular programming. I like all the instruction stuff, but it gets kind of stale after a while.
    Ping G400 LST 9.5 w/ Rogue 125 TX
    Ping G30 13 w/ Tour AD-DI 8x
    Ping S55 (3-P) w/ Tour Issue DG x100 +.5
    Ping Tour Gorge 52/56/60 w/ DG TI S400
    Scotty 009/ Scotty FB+ Circle T
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,168 ✭✭
    Worst show ever.

• mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,753 ✭✭
    hated it by the last series, but it was the announcers that made it unbearable (Abbott- sb on a wedding dress show, not golf) and the old tired 'tests' of golf, and stupid make believe personality likes/hates the producers attempt to play up. Let them just play head to head matches, and find another FInau, Bryan, 2 gloves, werenski. The other obvious problem is they have to fill out the field with diversity. I mean the cross handed guy with dreads was a great under dog story but not all are like him......
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,690 ✭✭
    Interpol wrote:

That's right, his name was Gipper. And the producers hyped him up much more than they did Tony. Ironic...

He's still out there grinding. See his name pop up in Monday qualifiers all the time.
  • cb24cb24 Members Posts: 1,690 ✭✭
    I loved big break, hope they bring it back both guys and girls were entertaining. They just need to raise the bar a little for some of the contestants. But hey being on TV is probably a lot of pressure
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,179 ✭✭
    ^^ does anybody remember the very 1st season? It was brutal...but it was still a decent watch because it was new. Was like golf summer camp.
  • jaysno24jaysno24 Members Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Yes please!
    TM M1 10.5
    TM M1 3W
    Cobra King Oversize 3-4H
    Cobra King F7 One-Length 5-G
    PXG 0311 Gen 2 LW
    TM Spider Tour Platinum 35"
  • Sanders74Sanders74 Members Posts: 273
    I liked the show bring it back

Better than most other reality junk thrse days
    Ping G 9*