You've seen it, I've seen it: dropping at "knee height." WHY??

Comments

• VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,495 ✭✭
    marlowe70 wrote:

Common sense would dictate to stand up straight and bend at the waist to drop the ball with no knee bend. Simple as that.

No Player ever had the idea to bend the knees with the old rule because you get closer to the ground. Now all of a sudden Bryson wants to do so.

Serious question: I have seen an instructional video about the new rules in 2019. For an explanation about the new dropping rule someone dropped accidentally from shoulder height. He was allowed to pick up the ball and drop again from knee height. No penalty.

Isn`t it allowed to drop from above knee height?

It is not.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,384 ✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

marlowe70 wrote:

Common sense would dictate to stand up straight and bend at the waist to drop the ball with no knee bend. Simple as that.

No Player ever had the idea to bend the knees with the old rule because you get closer to the ground. Now all of a sudden Bryson wants to do so.

Serious question: I have seen an instructional video about the new rules in 2019. For an explanation about the new dropping rule someone dropped accidentally from shoulder height. He was allowed to pick up the ball and drop again from knee height. No penalty.

It is not.

Drop from above knee height

And they dock ya!

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,087 ✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

marlowe70 wrote:

It is not.

And concerning the video, if you drop incorrectly, you are allowed to do it again, correctly. You can take as many tries as it takes you to figure out how to drop if correctly. That is different from making a legal drop, and the ball rolling out of the relief zone. If you do that twice, you then must place it where it hit the ground on the second drop.
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,601 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 3:26pm #65
    Is there a minimal shin/foot angle allowed?

I mean seriously, Bryson made his point by supporting himself with a club and moving his knee closer to the ground by leaning forward.

Should the knee be locked out? Does the shin/thigh need to be a straight line? Should the foot/ shin be a 90*?
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,601 ✭✭
    So here is the detail:

How a ball may be dropped is simplified; the only requirement will be that the ball be let go from knee height so that it falls through the air and does not touch any part of the player’s body or equipment before it hits the ground.

So with this description, squatting down(as if to line up a putt) will move your “knee height” to about 8-10 inches above the ground . Okay to drop from this “ knee height”?
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,495 ✭✭
    justasgood wrote:

I mean seriously, Bryson made his point by supporting himself with a club and moving his knee closer to the ground by leaning forward.

Should the knee be locked out? Does the shin/thigh need to be a straight line? Should the foot/ shin be a 90*?

justasgood wrote:

So here is the detail:

How a ball may be dropped is simplified; the only requirement will be that the ball be let go from knee height so that it falls through the air and does not touch any part of the player's body or equipment before it hits the ground.

So with this description, squatting down(as if to line up a putt) will move your "knee height" to about 8-10 inches above the ground . Okay to drop from this " knee height"?

You can be in any postition you want, so long as the ball is dropped from knee height

Rule 14 states: "'Knee height' means the height of the player's knee when in a standing position."
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
    Vindog wrote:

justasgood wrote:

justasgood wrote:

So here is the detail:

How a ball may be dropped is simplified; the only requirement will be that the ball be let go from knee height so that it falls through the air and does not touch any part of the player's body or equipment before it hits the ground.

So with this description, squatting down(as if to line up a putt) will move your "knee height" to about 8-10 inches above the ground . Okay to drop from this " knee height"?

You can be in any postition you want, so long as the ball is dropped from knee height

Rule 14 states: "'Knee height' means the height of the player's knee when in a standing position."

I gonna do this when I drop

giphy.gif
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,631 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 4:14pm #69
    A better rule imho would be from the knee up, so they could avoid that very awkward move and some seniors injury...

Also, that is how Mugatu would drop...

tenor.gif?itemid=5051183
    Vindog wrote:

justasgood wrote:

justasgood wrote:

So here is the detail:

So Bryson semi squatting and supported by his club should have been penalty?
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭
    Can't wait for discussion about the fact that when the knee is bent, your actually BELOW knee level. image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
    justasgood wrote:

Vindog wrote:

justasgood wrote:

justasgood wrote:

So here is the detail:

The only thing that matters is if he dropped the ball from the height of his knee when he is standing. Not whether or not he is standing.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/147_1.0.svg
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 829 ✭✭
    Could have all been avoided with a hip drop
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,087 ✭✭
    justasgood wrote:

So here is the detail:

There wouldn't even be a thread if folks would actually read the rules for themselves. There's a drawing that specifically answers this question. The height is measured when the player is standing, not when he is squatting of laying down or standing on his head.
    Vindog wrote:

justasgood wrote:

Vindog wrote:

justasgood wrote:

justasgood wrote:

So here is the detail:

The only thing that matters is if he dropped the ball from the height of his knee when he is standing. Not whether or not he is standing.

[url="http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/147_1.0.svg"]http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/147_1.0.svg[/url]

Does HD Slo Mo apply?

; )
    edited Jan 7, 2019 7:13pm #76
    bscinstnct wrote:
    Does HD Slo Mo apply?

; )

It should, the difference is night and day(ngerfield)

[media]
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,695 ClubWRX
    bscinstnct wrote:

Vindog wrote:

marlowe70 wrote:

It is not.

And they dock ya!

[media=]

So you should have your proxy drop for you?
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,593 ✭✭
    justasgood wrote:

So here is the detail:

Dude, you are really getting scary,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

14-3 See diagrams

http://www.usga.org/...ule&rulenum=14

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Vindog wrote:

marlowe70 wrote:

It is not.

And they dock ya!

[media=]

So you should have your proxy drop for you?

Guys on tour should goof on this rule and

Hula drop ; )

• youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 8:10pm #80
    In a recent Rules Seminar I asked; why does it matter how you drop it as long as the ball does not strike you or your equipment and remains within the Relief Area? No more can it roll up to two club-lengths, it must remain in the relief area (one or two-club-lengths).

The answer I got was there was a disagreement between the [email protected] and the USGA concerning dropping. The USGA wanted to place and the [email protected] wished to drop. This is the silly result.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    It is amazing the amount of people that get their panties in a dander for the most insignificant things because it may be different from the norm and yet it's within the rules.
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,442 ✭✭
    youraway2 wrote:

In a recent Rules Seminar I asked; why does it matter how you drop it as long as the ball does not strike you or your equipment and remains within the Relief Area? No more can it roll up to two club-lengths, it must remain in the relief area (one or two-club-lengths).

The answer I got was there was a disagreement between the [email protected] and the USGA concerning dropping. The USGA wanted to place and the [email protected] wished to drop. This is the silly result.

For real?

If that’s true, then the compromise was worse than either side’s stance IMO.
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    Scotty1140 wrote:

youraway2 wrote:

For real?

If that's true, then the compromise was worse than either side's stance IMO.
    It's true concerning the way my question was answered, I'm not sure if it's true.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
    edited Jan 7, 2019 8:51pm #84
    youraway2 wrote:

That wasn't really an answer to your question image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Nonetheless, I like drop over place.
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
  • ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 768 ✭✭
    edited Jan 8, 2019 11:08am #85
    Only golfers could find difficulty in something as simple as 'drop from knee height'. This sport truly attracts some strange people.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,836 ✭✭
    Good thing I only have to drop twice a year or so. I tried it yesterday and it does invoke quite the physical reaction. Size 13 foot makes it interesting bending forward to drop. Near impossible to gauge when you are at knee height stretching out a foot from your body forward. So to the side is the logical choice. Then you try to side bend to get down there . Just feels more natural since we all dropped from the side before. But it is a stretch to do it without bending the knee.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    edited Jan 8, 2019 8:43am #87

Good thing I only have to drop twice a year or so. I tried it yesterday and it does invoke quite the physical reaction. Size 13 foot makes it interesting bending forward to drop. Near impossible to gauge when you are at knee height stretching out a foot from your body forward. So to the side is the logical choice. Then you try to side bend to get down there . Just feels more natural since we all dropped from the side before. But it is a stretch to do it without bending the knee.

It doesn't have to be that hard. The human body is remarkable. With a lean to the side or front your hand is about at knee height in its natural position.
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
    Correct drop

1918791248001_5746295048001_5746234752001-vs.jpg?pubId=1918791248001&videoId=5746234752001

Incorrect drop

giphy.gif
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Members Posts: 3,335 ✭✭
    I just find it so funny that anyone finds this rule confusing or difficult... and Bryson is just being Bryson as always.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,207 ✭✭
    Dpavs wrote:

I just find it so funny that anyone finds this rule confusing or difficult... and Bryson is just being Bryson as always.

This^^^ x1000.
  • Joker91Joker91 Westminster, COMembers Posts: 556 ✭✭
    The proper way to drop

wajc1qX.gif