Titleist TS3 vs Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero vs TM M5

124»

Comments

• ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭
    puresurfr wrote:

I own the TS3 and TS2 and started with the TS3 being my gamer and then went with the TS2. Today I had the chance to test the F9 and the M5 and the Flash driver. I used a TP5X ball but the shafts were all over the place but the results were surprisingly close....I found the F9 to have the highest ball speed but also the least forgiveness I terms of dispersion. The M5 had amazing speed all over the face and shots that felt bad went almost as far as pured shots.....Finally the Flash, I could not make heads or tails of this driver, it just didn't work for me, I just couldn't put a decent swing on it....maybe it was the swing weight or the shaft profile. Compared with my TS2, the F9 was slightly longer and had a faster ball speed, it definitely launched the lowest and had the lowest spin. the M5 had similar ball speed and back spin and launch as my TS2 but I found the face to be more forgiving in terms of mishits. All are very good drivers. My next driver to demo is the PXG Gen2. The Cobra F9 and the M5 definitely deserve further testing with different shafts. I currently use a Tour AD VR 6 and its tough to find a similar shaft for testing.

Similar shafts would all be from Graphite Design. The VR is based off the IZ, and the IZ is based off the DI........very subtle differences in each profile and materials from DI to IZ. Apparently.
    Cobra F9 7.5* + Fuji Speeder Pro XLR8 63tx.
    Taylormade R15 12* + Diamana R80x.
    Adams XTD 19* + Matrix White Tie x.
    Adams Pro 23 Tour Issue + Tour AD UT95x
    Adams DHY Pro 27 + Irod 105x.
    Adams XTD Forged Tour Issue 6i - GW + Recoil Prototype 125F5.
    Adams XTD Forged SW/LW + KBS Hi-Rev x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.
  • Cpm881Cpm881 Rookie Members Posts: 170 ✭✭
    I hit all 3 outdoors on flightscope- Epic Flash SZ, TS3, and M5. For me Epic flash was +2-3mph faster ball speed than M5 and TS3. M5 and TS3 were better than my old x2hot though, ~+1-2MPH faster ball speed. TS3 had best feel for me. I'm not a fan of the dull/muted/thud callaway/TM offerings have had over past couple years.

I own an Epic from 2 years ago and hate it. Despite my inability to hit the old Epic, I'm going with Epic Flash SZ.

Altho, I'm tempted to hold off until i can hit Cobra/Ping offerings.
    X2Hot 10.5* (soon to be Epic Flash 9*.....)
    TM M3 15*
    Steelhead XR 3h 19*
    i25s 4-UW
    Cleveland 54*, 60*
    TM Spider
    ProV1
  • DaRizDaRiz SoCalMembers Posts: 1,517 ✭✭
    I just had an indoor fitting on trackman, and after landing on a shaft, these were the 3 drivers that I really put through the ringer as the cream of the crop. G410 unfortunately was knocked out early, and I guess important to note I did not hit a Cobra. I am a 6 handicap swinging 112 mph with a +1 AOA.

Ball speed: Equal.

All within 1 mph, I did not see any significant variance. Side note: G410 was 2-3 mph less, which is why it got cut early.

Spin: Very close. M5 was 1900-2000, EFSZ and TS3 were 2000-2100. A few M5 dipped super low bringing the average down a bit. At my swing speed and trajectory this was not a significant factor in distance.

Sound/Feel: TS3 >>> EFSZ > M5

No comparison, the TS3 sounded like the Cobra LTD or Callaway DBD, super smushy and soft, but also thick and solid. Like a bongo bat if anyone remembers those. The EFSZ was much better than the M5, but both had the typical modern driver feel with that mechanical boxy sound.

Forgiveness: TS3 > EFSZ > M5

I was hitting a tight little draw grouping with the TS3 and then hit one way off the toe and watched it go dead straight. Something my Ping G would do. M5 felt hard to control directionally, too many slight pulls and pushes, any flaw in my face angle felt exposed. EFSZ was solid, but a few off center hits were not playable, and the data showed a much wider grouping than the TS3. My TS3 grouping minus the outliers was the size of a small hand towel.

Overall I was expecting to get fit into a TM or Callaway because I knew I needed to lower my spin coming from a Ping G, but I was not willing to give up foregiveness (which is my I was playing the G to begin with). Titleist was not even on my radar as I haven’t liked any of their drivers since the 913. They were loud, and spun too much without being forgiving. The TS3 blew me away in all categories, especially feel. I can’t say enough about how good it sounded. All three have amazing ball speed and ultra low spin, but with the TS3 I don’t feel like I have to pure it to be in play. I gained 10 mph ball speed and 30 yards vs my gamer. Went from 270 to 300 total distance. Cut spin in half (yes my Ping G was knocking on the door of a ghastly 4000 rpm). Most of that was from the shaft change, but the low spin + forgiveness of this TS3 head feels special.

TS3 8.5* Kiyoshi Purple 75
    TS2 16.5* Kiyoshi Purple 75
    913H 19* ADHY85
    4-6 MP-H4 s300 7-PW MP-4 s300
    SM5 50.12F 54.14F SM7 60.12D
    #7 MXM
  • KingKongKingKong Members Posts: 2,028 ✭✭
    I've owned all mentioned. All to my spec. The EF SZ was the clear cut winner. Only offering this year I haven't owned in the 410 and I suck with ping drivers, so I doubt I'll get one anyway.

Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Pro Orange 70TX
    Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ AD TP 8X
    G400 19* w/ AD DI 95X
    Apex Pro '19 4-P w/ C Taper S+
    SM7 Raw 50/54/58 w/ TI S400

ER5 Black

• aquapigaquapig Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    The ST190 is my gamer right now, after having my TS3 stolen.

Loved my TS3, but I tried the ST190 and was blown away. I could game either and be very happy.

• Kentsp1Kentsp1 Members Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Cpm881 wrote:

I hit all 3 outdoors on flightscope- Epic Flash SZ, TS3, and M5. For me Epic flash was +2-3mph faster ball speed than M5 and TS3. M5 and TS3 were better than my old x2hot though, ~+1-2MPH faster ball speed. TS3 had best feel for me. I'm not a fan of the dull/muted/thud callaway/TM offerings have had over past couple years.

I own an Epic from 2 years ago and hate it. Despite my inability to hit the old Epic, I'm going with Epic Flash SZ.

Altho, I'm tempted to hold off until i can hit Cobra/Ping offerings.

Exact same experience. Epic flash sz was slightly faster.
    Callaway Epic SZ  triple diamond 9* rogue max 75 X
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* rogue max 85 X
    Mizuno mp18 flihi 3&4 / 5-w mp 18 mmc modus 120 x
    Mizuno s18 50, 55, 60 modus 120 x
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR 34"