Wilson Staff set, are these genuine or knock offs?

Hi guys,

Found this set for sale locally, the guy claims an inlaw won them in a raffle about 30 years ago and never opened them. I have done a bit of google-fu and I can't find any that match these exactly, the biggest difference is that all the ones I have seen online have black paint in the writing 'Wilson' on the bottom of the club. I have read in another thread that Wilson remade some sets in the mid 80's could these be remakes? or are they just knock off?

I have never tried blades so not sure if I don't like them that I will be able to resell them for what I pay. they are going for $120 AUD

any help would be greatly appreciated. also any input on value would also be great.

Comments

• WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,196 ✭✭
    Look genuine to me. Winning them 30 years ago seems to click.

Don't have a clue to value.

Nice clubs. Enjoy.
  • birly-shirlybirly-shirly Members Posts: 3,247 ✭✭
    I'm not seeing anything that shouts knock-off, in fact I'm doubtful that fakes were ever an issue in the heyday of those clubs. I would guess that they're nearer 40 than 30 years old. The price seems very good for someone who already knows and likes what they're looking at. But if you've never played blades, or wooden woods before, you could spend less trying a variety of heads and shafts to find something that suits you.
  • I have that sand wedge in my closet right now, it’s legit. My father bought it in the late 70s-early 80s and played with it until his back fusion a few years ago.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,236 ClubWRX
    Nobody knocked off clubs back then. These, just based on the grips, look to be a retail store version and not the Pro Shop higher end version. A better pic of the iron heads would be useful (face and back).
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • 57Staff57Staff Members Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Those look like Mini-Bullets from the mid-70's - no bore-through hosel and just the simple Staff script. Take a picture of one of the irons from the back of the club head. Should be a small indent towards the hosel end that will be the tell-tale sign.

Here are what mine looked like (just sold them) Kd85MZz.jpg?1
  • a-boogera-booger Members Posts: 2
    Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback and info. I don't think I would use the wooden woods, more interested in the iron set, woods go into storage or sale.
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,120 ✭✭
    I have a 4 wood with that sole, and an original Dynamic shaft. Very easy to hit and shape. Enjoy.
  • deepreddeepred Members Posts: 221 ✭✭
    What we have here is an early 80’s set of irons and woods I believe. I bought a set of these about 84 and they were only a couple years old.

The Driver is 11 degrees and the woods are matched to that, I don’t know what the actual loft is of the fairways.
    Wilson Staff M3 4-GW
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    Wilson Fybrid 15*
    KE4 5 wood
    Maltby SW54, black
    Snake Eyes SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ram Zebra deep face, black
  • deepreddeepred Members Posts: 221 ✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

I have a 4 wood with that sole, and an original Dynamic shaft. Very easy to hit and shape. Enjoy.

Best golf club I’ve ever owned. The 4 was a Dream, flew as far as the 3 with less roll and much easier to hit off the deck.
    Wilson Staff M3 4-GW
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    Wilson Fybrid 15*
    KE4 5 wood
    Maltby SW54, black
    Snake Eyes SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ram Zebra deep face, black
  • ShallowfaceShallowface Members Posts: 1,460 ✭✭
    deepred wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Best golf club I’ve ever owned. The 4 was a Dream, flew as far as the 3 with less roll and much easier to hit off the deck.

I also had a lot of success with one of those 4 woods. Never had one that was better.
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    Why would you think that these are knock-offs? Never been a market for Wilson knock-offs. Legit and excellent clubs, buy them and play well.
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,990 ✭✭

@Socrates said:
    Nobody knocked off clubs back then. These, just based on the grips, look to be a retail store version and not the Pro Shop higher end version. A better pic of the iron heads would be useful (face and back).

Clones were prevalent back then. People would copy the look of the irons and give them a similar name and sell them for less. I have friends that golf once a year that still play clone clubs from the 80s.

• rex235rex235 ClubWRX Posts: 3,987 ClubWRX

These are the '76 Bicentennial Staff irons, on page 2, 1976 Wilson Staff Professional Catalog.
    These were the first model after the Staff Dynapower model series, from 1957-1975.
    That would make them 43 years old.
    They were regripped, but they are not a knockoff.