Multiple ball types in a round?

PorkerPorker Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
Interesting conversation came up at work, club in Adelaide, apparently some time ago, disqualified and stripped a player from his membership for playing more than 1 type of ball in a pennant match play tournament. This was a local club championship... not a state or national amateur tournament.

My understanding is a big no in pro golf and top end amateur events. In club level golf, it’s allowed unless the club has a local “1 ball rule”. Or it’s allowed because it’s impossible to enforce the law?

Don’t agree a player should be striped of membership for breaching such a rule. That’s a bit harsh.My questions to club players are:

1) do you switch balls on holes where it could give you an advantage?

2) how many different balls you play in a round ?

3) do you, like me, play a different ball as your provisional?

4) does your club have any local rules in place regarding?

Also if you feel from an ethical point of view this is not within the spirit of the game, please comment. Maybe your 4 ball has a rule? I have seriously been considering having a ball for different conditions and the difficulty of my local course could be lessened with his strategy but I’m having a moral dilemma regarding it. Love to hear from ya!

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,863 ✭✭
    Thought this thread was going the way of "shrinkage" and such.

Never change a ball unless lost, and that happens rarely.

ProV1 - summer

Bridgestone - winter
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 437 ✭✭
    I've never changed ball type in any sort of real competition, be it club level or sanctioned by a higher-level organization.

In casual play, or even friendly comps with my buddies, I'll switch balls all the time, but not because I'm trying to gain an advantage. Most of the time, it's a ball I've found out on the course, and I'm curious enough about it to give it a try. In that situation, who cares? I also tend to keep a "clean" putting ball in my pocket that matches the ball I used tee-to-green. Sometimes I forget to bring my towel onto the green and it's easier to switch to the clean ball rather than walk back to my bag to clean the dirty ball.
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry areaMembers Posts: 345 ✭✭
    My answers for tournaments or any official play where you hdcp or GHIN is recorded:

1) NEVER. Its against the rules!

2) (refer to question #1 answer)

3) Nope play a different # ball. Say i hit a #2 first ill hit a #3 for a provisional

4) Dont currently belong to a club so for me N/R

With todays balls I dont see how swapping helps. For me i want consistent flight characteristics and only way ive found that to happen is playing the same ball all the way around. I understand people will want a distance ball for longer holes and something that spins more on short holes yet at the same time you will have to hit an approach shot and putt/s. The distance ball and spinny (not sure thats a word) ball are going to respond totally different to those shots and it makes it too difficult (specially for amateurs) to be able to make corrective swing changes hole to hole putt to putt.

As far as kicking a member out. Yes that seems a bit harsh yet there are always 3 sides to every story and some clubs can be/are very strict on their rules. Pretty sure if Augusta, Pine Valley etc etc had the rule and wanted to enforce it they would have ZERO trouble filling your spot within in a matter of min. Just depends on if they are full and have a waiting list like many clubs do.
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,902 ✭✭
    Wonder what they do to a golfer who has 15 clubs in the bag?????
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • PorkerPorker Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    KAndyman... but is it illegal for normal saterday club competitions? Your thoughts reflect that, maybe it is but because the advantage is a bit of a give and take... no one cAres if the rule is breached
  • jlbos83jlbos83 Members Posts: 563 ✭✭
    KAndyman, it is not against the rules unless the competition is being run with the "one ball condition of competition", which is NOT recommended except for very high level tournaments. In almost all cases where normal humans are playing you can change ball types whenever substitution of the ball is allowed, such as between holes, when a ball is lost, or a ball is damaged. There may be a couple others, but that is the idea.
    Jeff, an Arizona hacker
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,029 ✭✭
    augustgolf wrote:

Wonder what they do to a golfer who has 15 clubs in the bag?????

Stone him! He's a witch!
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 - CAMO!
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • JkellenderJkellender Members Posts: 398 ✭✭
    How do you know she’s a witch?
    Titleist 913 D2 Fuji F3 Motore
    Titleist 913f Aldila Phenom
    Titleist 913h Diamana
    714 AP2 4-W PX 5.5
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
    Vokey SM4 56, 60
    WITB Link
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,029 ✭✭
    Jkellender wrote:

How do you know she’s a witch?

She looks like one!
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 - CAMO!
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • JkellenderJkellender Members Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Yes but what also floats in water?
    Titleist 913 D2 Fuji F3 Motore
    Titleist 913f Aldila Phenom
    Titleist 913h Diamana
    714 AP2 4-W PX 5.5
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
    Vokey SM4 56, 60
    WITB Link
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Devotee of OCD ENGLAND.Members Posts: 1,882 ✭✭
    Thought about (For example) ProV1X on longer holes and ProV1 on a short par 3 many times over the years.

IMO: from what little you might gain in performance; you'd lose in feel / touch / control by swapping between models.

Just adding another variation into the game. And there enough of those already. You need some constants in you want some consistency.......
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    RIFE Iconic Tour Vault 3 : Flow-Neck - 340g / 34.75"
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball ←NEW 2019 Version→

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,289 ✭✭
    Stripped of membership.. bit too harsh
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,241 ✭✭
    edited Jan 20, 2019 5:31pm #14
    On a solo round, I have used a distance ball of the tee and a spin ball into the green. In theory, it would help. But, it was hassle to constantly change balls. Also, I would feel foolish doing this if playing with the boys.

Sometimes, I switch to a crappy ball, when shooting over water.
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Members Posts: 2,026 ✭✭
    For local clubs who cares unless they have a rule in place. If you think about it, guys on tour wouldn't do it because they are so accustomed to 1 ball as it is, but for us weekend hacks, highly unlikely it would make any difference in overall score.

I believe the rules say you must finish the hole with a same ball unless damaged so if your club allows it, why not?
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • okie21okie21 Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Yeah, if I'm not playing well I will switch between holes and such. But that's to save my good balls, not to gain an edge. Stripping a membership is way too harsh in this case though.
    Titleist [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]917 D2 9.5 deg (Diamana White 70 S)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 718 AP1s 4-GW (DG AMT White S300), 1 1/4" over with 1/4" intervals 8-9i and shorter[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400) [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM '09 56 deg tour chrome (DG Wedge flex)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Newport 3, fresh from Custom Shop, std length and lie[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vice Pro Plus [/font]
  • WalterWalter Belgian Golfer Members Posts: 700 ✭✭
    Stripped of membership Sounds like medieval madness..
    Countdown for Augusta!!!
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 607 ✭✭
    https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=177&Rule=15

When changing balls, the player is permitted to substitute a ball of another brand or type unless the Committee has adopted the One Ball Condition of Competition (see Appendix I; Part C; Section 1c). This optional condition (usually referred to as ‘The One Ball Rule’) is generally adopted only in events that are limited to professional golfers or highly-skilled amateur golfers. Generally, this condition of competition is not adopted in club-level competitions.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 407 ✭✭
    I keep a stash of Kirkland Signature 3 piece balls in my bag and pull them out on some par 3's. I know that they're going to be a couple yards shorter and are going to spin a whole lot more than any other ball I play. So if those things are important on a par 3, I will tee it up with one of those. I would never switch on a Par 4 or 5 though.
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • PorkerPorker Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Hey arbeck, how far do back them up on a 7 iron shot on par3’s?