Callaway ERC Soft

Comments

• dkr1269dkr1269 Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I need all the help I can get.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,032 ✭✭
    Don't know where else to post, but did anyone else see that Phil used the triple line alignment on his ball during his blistering round?

Not saying he was using the ERC Soft, but it was interesting to see him adopt the alignment
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,008 ✭✭

Don't know where else to post, but did anyone else see that Phil used the triple line alignment on his ball during his blistering round?

Not saying he was using the ERC Soft, but it was interesting to see him adopt the alignment
    There are multiple Chrome Soft/Soft X balls on the USGA Conforming ball list that have the alignment lines.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,032 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

There are multiple Chrome Soft/Soft X balls on the USGA Conforming ball list that have the alignment lines.

I know; just noting the alignment image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

dDCfsyR.gif
  • fly787fly787 Las Vegas, Nevada and EuropePosts: 118 ✭✭
    Does anyone have any idea how we could copy the line pattern on existing balls? I tried to make a template but failed miserably ... image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    TM 2016 M2 9.5 757x
    TM 2016 M2 16.5 757x
    TM  P790 Recoil Shafts
    Honma  GW
    Callaway PM 56.13 SW
    Odessey Tank X7 with Flat Cat 
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,199 ✭✭
    edited Jan 21, 2019 7:04am #37
    fly787 wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how we could copy the line pattern on existing balls? I tried to make a template but failed miserably ... image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Its expensive but Tin Cup will make a custom marker for you and you could probably get it done there.

https://www.tin-cup.com/customize/
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries Fwy - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki  z80 Hybrid - S
    W/S FG62 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS  Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Mil-Spec Pro Platinum
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    fly787 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Alignment-Identification-Positioning-Sharpie/dp/B005D5VG14
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • fly787fly787 Las Vegas, Nevada and EuropePosts: 118 ✭✭
    Thanks...great idea- image/happy.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':happy:' />
    TM 2016 M2 9.5 757x
    TM 2016 M2 16.5 757x
    TM  P790 Recoil Shafts
    Honma  GW
    Callaway PM 56.13 SW
    Odessey Tank X7 with Flat Cat 
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,199 ✭✭

fly787 wrote:

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B005D5VG14

lol. lot cheaper than Tin Cup!
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries Fwy - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki  z80 Hybrid - S
    W/S FG62 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS  Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Mil-Spec Pro Platinum
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,929 ✭✭

fly787 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Alignment-Identification-Positioning-Sharpie/dp/B005D5VG14

Just an FYI. Walmart sells these.

Driver: Ping Rhapsody 16*
    FW: Ping G400 SFT 5w
    Hybrids: Exotics XRail 23*/26*
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne H

• QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 866 ✭✭
    edited Jan 25, 2019 12:04am #42
    Be really good if these would be made without those awful lines all over them.
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0 / Cobra F9 9 HZRDUS Smoke
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7, Evenroll #5
    TM TP5, Titleist AVX
  • som500som500 Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I really can’t wait to try this ball out.
  • lenman73lenman73 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    I am looking forward to it as well. I will try them at least once, and if it is not a good fit, then the search continues.
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    It is definitely longer than the Chrome Soft and higher launching which helps hold the greens with the reduced spin on approach shots.
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    Played my first round with the ERC Soft ball today. Was very happy , long and held the wind today in Florida. This will become my go to ball for this season. Exceeded my expectations.
    Gil Leonard
  • lenman73lenman73 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    ^^^^^^ glad to hear this. I just picked up a box yesterday. I dont really know why, but I have been excited to try an expensive, non urethane ball.lol
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    erock9174 wrote:

fly787 wrote:

Just an FYI. Walmart sells these.

So much for Callaway's patent on the alignment system.
  • lil'mikelil'mike Members Posts: 1,264 ✭✭

I noticed this again the other day in the Pro-Am. He putted and it got close to the hole so they zoomed on it and his ball had three lines on it. I thought he swtiched to the ERC ball. lol
  • hef63303hef63303 Members Posts: 2,857 ✭✭
    Mickelson has had the 3 stripe pattern logoed on his Chrome Soft balls. The 3 lines are of specific colors and specific sizes and specific placement based on Vernier Acuity. You can Google it to read about it.
  • mws0623mws0623 the boss Members Posts: 14
    I tested the ball for 18 holes on Feb. 8th 2019, cool but calm California conditions.

Currently playing as a 4.7 index. My tendency is below average driver play and very good short game scoring.

I was looking for extra driver distance off my 92mph driver with soft feel and greenside performance.

I typically play TP5x and AVX. The ERC soft compared favorably to the AVX for feel and short game performance. I ended up being a little disappointed in the driver performance. I had the same experience with Chrome soft--shorter 10 yds off the driver, but half a club longer on 5-9 irons.

I found the ERC ball flight to be higher than AVX, and about the same feel and spin as AVX around the greens. Much better spin than Bridgestone E6 I used to play. I Switched in and out a TP5x on some tee shots to confirm the Driver distance difference and it sure seemed shorter than my normal good shots.

As for control and distance with irons, the ERC was good for me. The AVX always seemed long off the tee but for Irons it has been inconsistent for me. I get occasional "flyers" on good strikes out of the fairway, which is why I am still looking for a new ball to play.

As for the triple-track, I use a long line on my ball anyway. I really like the triple track line. Nice look, not a distraction.

As you may already know, Triple track and the Vernier Acuity system has been around since a 2012 patent using the same colors and widths on the 2013 tripletrack golf balls, same as you see on the ERC Soft. I assume Callaway acquired the rights to the technology.

Callaway never claims to have invented it.

Although I like the printed lines and the iron performance, I will continue my search for an AVX driver like ball with a higher flight and TP5 consistency.
  • Pack7483Pack7483 Members Posts: 614 ✭✭
    I was at GG today and thought about picking up a dozen to try at $39. However they have the Tp5 and Tp5x for $34 so I grabbed 2 dozen tp5 instead!
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,853 ✭✭
    I haven’t had the flier phenomena on the AVX.

And it’s green side spin has been plenty, even at courses like bethpage black.

Would I like it to have ProV greenside spin? Yes. But I’m not sure it would help me that much more.

To me the only thing I’d like with the AVX is for the driver trajectory to be 1-2* higher, and the iron trajectory to be 1-2* lower.

In other words... I’d love the flight of the ProV1 (non x) but would be more than happy with all the other characteristics of the AVX.

It’s just so long and straight off the tee
    Titleist TS3 - 10.5 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Titleist AVX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • ashortgameashortgame Posts: 164 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2019 8:26pm #54
    After reading the ERC was Callaway's longest ball and low compression I got a sleeve for my wife to test.

She is distance challenged but has an extremely tidy short game. We've tried most balls for her and she had been using Callaway Super Softs which was a decent enough ball for her however control on the greens was issue.

Surprisingly its turned out that the best performing ball for her was Titlesit DT TruSoft. Not quite as long as the Supersoft but close enough however it spins so much better from 50 metres in.

We played 18 holes yesterday and for the first 9 holes she used the DT TruSoft up against the ERC. With the driver the ERC was consistently 7 to 12 metres shorter than the Titleist.

Quite surprising considering what I had read.

Results may vary with different players of course, but actually I was quite shocked given Callaway's hype.

Edit: corrected. My bad. I should really check before I post. Sorry about that!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 9:45pm #55
    ashortgame wrote:

she used the DT TruSoft up against the ERC. With the driver the ERC was consistently 7 to 12 metres shorter than the ERC.

Huh?
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,056 ✭✭

ashortgame wrote:

she used the DT TruSoft up against the ERC. With the driver the ERC was consistently 7 to 12 metres shorter than the ERC.

Huh?

Agreed. WHAT?!
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • BY#99BY#99 Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Has anyone found what the cover actuallly is? I find the marketing to be a little unforthcoming. $40 for a non-urethane ball is a tough sell for me.
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    Two rounds in now with the Callaway ERC Soft. It is the real deal. Distance is very good. Granted it is not a Urethane ball, but does behave well on the greens. I was using it previously only to putt as I was given a two ball pack. Definitely like this ball as it helps line up my putts. The Triple Track is great at helping me line up. I will play this ball for the season and beyond.
    Gil Leonard
  • gpleonard wrote:

Two rounds in now with the Callaway ERC Soft. It is the real deal. Distance is very good. Granted it is not a Urethane ball, but does behave well on the greens. I was using it previously only to putt as I was given a two ball pack. Definitely like this ball as it helps line up my putts. The Triple Track is great at helping me line up. I will play this ball for the season and beyond.
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

• gpleonard wrote:

For being a non urethane ball, did you see any short game faults? How was the flight of the ball? What other golf ball would you compare it to?
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,853 ✭✭
    I want to see someone throw it on track man or GCQuad and hit full and partial wedges.

You hearing me Rick sheils and you tubers???
    Titleist TS3 - 10.5 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Titleist AVX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag