Callaway ERC Soft

Comments

• DrewcruiseDrewcruise Members Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Going to give this ball a try. Just seems like I always end up back with v1x. I really would love to play a different ball but all around it’s tough to beat. Do the 3 lines go all the way around or just 1 side like I saw on Phil’s ball?
  • DLBTide7DLBTide7 Birmingham, ALMembers Posts: 93 ✭✭

gpleonard wrote:

Two rounds in now with the Callaway ERC Soft. It is the real deal. Distance is very good. Granted it is not a Urethane ball, but does behave well on the greens. I was using it previously only to putt as I was given a two ball pack. Definitely like this ball as it helps line up my putts. The Triple Track is great at helping me line up. I will play this ball for the season and beyond.

For being a non urethane ball, did you see any short game faults? How was the flight of the ball? What other golf ball would you compare it to?

I played the ERC soft for the first time on Sunday. It is long off the Driver. I saw very good height on my iron shots which negates the lower spin. I only had one 7 iron, from about 165, that I thought “released” too far on the green.

I loved the alignment aid; a definite help.

Still too early to make declarative statements, but so far so good on the ball.
    PXG Gen2 XF Driver
    PXG Gen2 X 3 metal
    PXG Gen2 17 degree hybrid
    PXG Gen2 XF Irons, 4-Gap
    PXG milled wedges, 56 and 60
    PXG Mustang putter
  • coachemupcoachemup Members Posts: 363 ✭✭
    I am an AVX player and was also fond of the Mizuno RB Tour (see Mizuno thread). I have a low trajectory window and like to play balls which don't spin excessively, but have a nice, soft feel to them.

Anyway, I took a sleeve of ERC's out during lunch today and here are my thoughts:

1) Ball is definitely a higher tracjectory ball

2) Ball is a touch too clicky for me and has a "heavy" feel to it. Not sure how else to describe it.

3) Spin is a touch lower with this ball and it doesn't check as well as I would like (60 yard pitch shot). I prefer a hop and stop type shot and this ball hoped and rolled out about 3 to 5 feet. It was consistant though and that is always a good thing.

4) Slight distance loss with all clubs in the bag (hitting into a 15 mph wind and the higher trajectory of this ball hurt distance).

5) Thought the alignment aid for putting was kind of cool. I prefer nothing showing on my ball (or putter head) when I putt, but still made 8 of 10 10 footers with the aid.

Overall, it's a nice ball and will fit alot of golfers needs. I would like to spend more time putting with this alignment system to see if it could be a major improvement for me, but do not want to putt with this ball because of the sound and it is a little "too fast" off the putter head.
    Driver- TaylorMade R9 Superdeep
    3 Wood- Adams Tight Lies Original 13
    4 Wood- Adams Tight Lies Original 16
    Irons- PGA Diamondback Blades (RAW) 2 (20)- PW (52)
    Wedges- Edel Custom Carbon 56
    Putter- Titleist Bullseye
    Ball- Mizuno Tour RB
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ClubWRX
    I dunno. Marketing’s a pretty special thing.

I thought Titleist was getting away with ridiculousness offering a high-priced non-urethane ball in the NSX. Now Callaway is in on the game.

And all this in an era where we’re starting to get decent priced urethane balls in the Project A and Q Star Tour.

It’s a strange game and not a game I’ll be playing.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,017 ✭✭
    PorscheFan wrote:

I thought Titleist was getting away with ridiculousness offering a high-priced non-urethane ball in the NSX. Now Callaway is in on the game.
    There is no such golf ball as a Titleist NSX. Titleist has the AVX ball which is a urethane covered ball. The competition for the Cally ERC Soft is the Titleist Tour Soft. The ERC Soft is more expensive than the Tour Soft by $5/dozen.
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,611 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

PorscheFan wrote:

There is no such golf ball as a Titleist NSX. Titleist has the AVX ball which is a urethane covered ball. The competition for the Cally ERC Soft is the Titleist Tour Soft. The ERC Soft is more expensive than the Tour Soft by $5/dozen.

I think PorscheFan meant NXT which has been replaced by the Tour Soft as you mention. I guess for the $5/dozen Callaway is giving you graphene in the core, the hybrid cover which could spin more and the triple track alignment.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ClubWRX
    noodle3872 wrote:

grm24 wrote:

PorscheFan wrote:

I think PorscheFan meant NXT which has been replaced by the Tour Soft as you mention. I guess for the $5/dozen Callaway is giving you graphene in the core, the hybrid cover which could spin more and the triple track alignment.

You got it! Sorry - I had just moved the spare tire from my NSX before I typed this... Clearly on my brain!

I don’t know how these balls with compete in a world that now includes the Snell, Project A, etc. Excellent no-excuses urethane balls.

I love the alignment aid on the ERC, but my guess is since they’ve invested in the printing that it will turn up on the Chromie at some point. Now that I’d be interested in...
  • Rich DouglasRich Douglas Members Posts: 319 ✭✭
    The ERC is an interesting ball. I can't tell if I'm hitting it farther than the Chrome Soft. The 3-bar alignment aid is good, but you can buy a tool to do that on any ball. It is soft, but not noticeably more so than the Chrome Soft. It seems to have a bit less spin on chips, but that might be me expecting it.

The Chrome Soft will come out with the same alignment as the ERC. At that point, I simply don't see any advantages over the Chrome Soft. It's better than the Titleist AVX, but that's not the point. I just don't see the niche it fills at nearly the same price as the Chrome Soft. I'm not price-sensitive about balls anyway, so saving a few bucks doesn't matter.

I wonder what Snell is about to introduce?
    Driver: Titleist 917 D3 (Aldila Rogue MAX 65)
    2W: TM Mini Driver
    3H: Ping G410 (19 degrees)
    Irons: Wishon Sterling Single Length 4I-LW
    Putter: Bloodline (mallet)
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft
  • DoublebuckDoublebuck Doublebuck Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭

The ERC is an interesting ball. I can't tell if I'm hitting it farther than the Chrome Soft. The 3-bar alignment aid is good, but you can buy a tool to do that on any ball. It is soft, but not noticeably more so than the Chrome Soft. It seems to have a bit less spin on chips, but that might be me expecting it.

The Chrome Soft will come out with the same alignment as the ERC. At that point, I simply don't see any advantages over the Chrome Soft. It's better than the Titleist AVX, but that's not the point. I just don't see the niche it fills at nearly the same price as the Chrome Soft. I'm not price-sensitive about balls anyway, so saving a few bucks doesn't matter.

I wonder what Snell is about to introduce?

Try original soft. Wilson Duo Pro. Have to trust Frank.
  • dkr1269dkr1269 Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I grabbed a sleeve and played them Thursday. Not bad. The greens were soft but they definitely checked better than you would see on a normal surlyn covered ball. Distance was good, particularly into the wind compared to a Chrome Soft. There were several holes where I didn't think I had hit the ERC very well but had hit the CS very solid. When I got to the balls there wasn't much difference between them. Hit a few with the ERC that were long for me.

Feel wise I thought it was much softer and more muted than the CS. Definitely not mushy like the Supersoft, but no click like the CS. Not bad at all.

So performance wise they were pretty close to the CS, QST. For the price though I certainly prefer the Snell balls.
  • jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    I played the ERC today. A great ball all around. It is longer for me with the irons and driver. Didn’t hit any fairway woods with it. Soft feeling for sure but not marshmallow soft. Zero issues with it around the green. I played very hard greens today and it was good enough. The lines on it rock. Only one thing I disliked.... The price!
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,711 ✭✭
    $45/dz. here, same as Tour Softs. Pro (a) and QST are same price or cheaper and are urethane. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • BY#99BY#99 Members Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Can anyone confirm what the cover is? I am not sure I understand this ball. Spins more than Sutton but less than urethane. Not sure if a big market for that. There are plenty of “lower” sponningnurethane available. As stated the price point is high- there are urethane balls for cheaper and sled cent suyln balls cheaper. I am not sure that 3 painted lines in a ball is “technology” or worth the cost. It may be a decent ball but for the price I cannot see really using on a regular basis. I just wish Callaway would tell us what the cover is made if. Seems they are trying to not tell us which makes me skeptical.
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,611 ✭✭
    BY#99 wrote:

Can anyone confirm what the cover is? I am not sure I understand this ball. Spins more than Sutton but less than urethane. Not sure if a big market for that. There are plenty of “lower” sponningnurethane available. As stated the price point is high- there are urethane balls for cheaper and sled cent suyln balls cheaper. I am not sure that 3 painted lines in a ball is “technology” or worth the cost. It may be a decent ball but for the price I cannot see really using on a regular basis. I just wish Callaway would tell us what the cover is made if. Seems they are trying to not tell us which makes me skeptical.

They are saying what exactly the cover is because it is proprietary. They claim it is as if urethane and surlyn had a baby.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • DrewcruiseDrewcruise Members Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited Feb 17, 2019 11:02pm #76
    Played the ERC today and it was at minimum 10 yards shorter with the driver than 1vx for me. Irons weren’t as bad but still shorter. I loved the feel but was shocked at lack of distance. I’m curious because every thing I have read is that they were longer for others. Really enjoyed the triple track. Definitely less spin on approach shots but not lacking.
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

They claim it is as if urethane and surlyn had a baby.

Only from the standpoint of performance. It is a surlyn base but you need a soft cover to get spin around the green but if you make surlyn soft it becomes "dead" and is not very durable. So two components are added to surlyn to add speed and endurance. In regard to the Triple Track Technology, hyperacuity / vernier acuity isn't just the idea of three parallel lines but the color contrast, thickness and distance apart that the lines are is what is at the heart of the science.

Some take issue with the ball because the lines make it look "cheap". That doesn't seem to bother Phil using the technology on his CS-X. Also, Callaway has spent a number of years thinking outside the box and not just developing another urethane or another surlyn ball. Why should they get grief for that?

I've played it quite a bit now but am not 100% sold on it. I find it launches high and flies high and that steep angle of decent is a positive in that holding greens is not an issue. Chips and pitches have not been an issue as I have never been a high spin player on those types of shots to getting used to a little extra roll out has been easy for me. Those that play hard checking shots will probably have an issue with the ball. However, although I don't have the same sense with the ball off the irons I do feel I lose some distance with this ball off the driver if into the wind. I've used lines on the ball infrequently in the past but wanted to test out this Triple Track technology and I do feel it works.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,620 ClubWRX
    I’d be interested in trying this one, but I don’t want to spend $40 for an entire box (made flat mistake recently with the Volvik Matt Soft) so I’ll have to wait t8l I get somewhere where they sell by the sleeve.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 5,952 ✭✭
    Mahamilto wrote:

I want to see someone throw it on track man or GCQuad and hit full and partial wedges.

You hearing me Rick sheils and you tubers???
    I got a sleeve of these ERCs, E12S and BXS to compare against the Chrome Soft, SoftX that I play. I just have to arrange some time at the indoor golf place (trackman) near me to see what happens (I have a 3 hour round tomorrow, with no available slots before hand on their 4 bays, all booked solid). No, I will not be going on youtube (I'd break your screen) and their reservations are all booked this weekend.
    Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*
  • jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    Imp wrote:

Mahamilto wrote:

I want to see someone throw it on track man or GCQuad and hit full and partial wedges.

You hearing me Rick sheils and you tubers???
    I got a sleeve of these ERCs, E12S and BXS to compare against the Chrome Soft, SoftX that I play. I just have to arrange some time at the indoor golf place (trackman) near me to see what happens (I have a 3 hour round tomorrow, with no available slots before hand on their 4 bays, all booked solid). No, I will not be going on youtube (I'd break your screen) and their reservations are all booked this weekend.

I played the ball this past weekend and it was great. I do have a hard time with the price point based on the fact that I can get what in theory are better priced urethane balls and even the ZStar performance packs at $20 per dozen. I have yet to find someone that does a full in-depth review on a lauch monitor. I’m really interested to see what you come up with in your testing.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 379 ✭✭
    I really like the lines! When I saw Phil using one I was wondering if this was totally custom or something that might hit the market.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,661 ✭✭
    I'll try one when I find one.
  • DLBTide7DLBTide7 Birmingham, ALMembers Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Talked with the manager at the Edwin Watts store in Destin, FL today. The ERC Soft is flying off the shelves.
    PXG Gen2 XF Driver
    PXG Gen2 X 3 metal
    PXG Gen2 17 degree hybrid
    PXG Gen2 XF Irons, 4-Gap
    PXG milled wedges, 56 and 60
    PXG Mustang putter
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 6,992 ✭✭
    dkr1269 wrote:

I grabbed a sleeve and played them Thursday. Not bad. The greens were soft but they definitely checked better than you would see on a normal surlyn covered ball. Distance was good, particularly into the wind compared to a Chrome Soft. There were several holes where I didn't think I had hit the ERC very well but had hit the CS very solid. When I got to the balls there wasn't much difference between them. Hit a few with the ERC that were long for me.

Feel wise I thought it was much softer and more muted than the CS. Definitely not mushy like the Supersoft, but no click like the CS. Not bad at all.

So performance wise they were pretty close to the CS, QST. For the price though I certainly prefer the Snell balls.

Agree on all fronts except snell....haven't tried before ....which model is as compressible, high launching and long?
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,335 ✭✭
    DLBTide7 wrote:

Talked with the manager at the Edwin Watts store in Destin, FL today. The ERC Soft is flying off the shelves.

Same thing at my local PGATSS. Sold out of the white ones but have about 10 dozen yellows left.

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
    I have found the Snell MTB Black to be as long as anything else. I don't see much difference in driver length between the Snell or the Pro V1. I saw good length with the ERC Soft but not any longer than the Snell.
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 6,992 ✭✭
    dkr1269 wrote:

I have found the Snell MTB Black to be as long as anything else. I don't see much difference in driver length between the Snell or the Pro V1. I saw good length with the ERC Soft but not any longer than the Snell.

Can I ask your swing speed and do you find MTB black as soft?
  • tjeffoctjeffoc Members Posts: 37
    edited Feb 23, 2019 9:15pm #88
    Played the ERC last weekend for the first time and putted lights out with the triple track. Only hit 9 greens, but 25 putts and made a couple over 20 feet. Felt confident in the line and only had to focus on speed.

As far as distance goes, this ball is a little over a club longer in the irons than the ‘19 V1X I’ve been playing, which I felt like had too much spin and was fluttering at times. Spin around the greens is better than I expected, but not great.

Look forward to Cally making these lines available on more balls soon. If it isn’t for you that’s fine, but it definitely works for me.
    My swing speed is probably around 95mph on a good day. The ERC Soft felt softer than the Snell. The Snell probably falls between the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x on the softness scale.
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,104 ✭✭
    edited Feb 24, 2019 10:04pm #90
    So based on all the feedback so far, would the ERC be a good ball for someone with a driver SS of about 102-105, who is a high trajectory player with irons and likes a soft ball that only needs a lot of spin around the green?
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • njlamnjlam Members Posts: 903 ✭✭
    I got a demo sleeve of these and liked them.

Long with great trajectory and nice feel on shorter irons.

My proshop said these are supersofts with a slightly firmer feel.

Generally, I play Chromesoft truvis in season and the supersoft when it is colder than 55 degrees.

At $40/dozen, I am not sure where the ERC fits in.

I am not sure is can replace the Chromesoft for distance/feel in season.

With supersofts at $35/2dozen, the ERC is not that good to play in the winter.

All that being said, I miss the chevron, and don't like any lines on the ball that I didn't put on.
    Driver: Ping Rapture 12 w/MR Diamana BB R
    Woods: Ping G25 4w & 7w w/MR Diamana BB R
    Hybrid: Sonartec MD 25 w/MR Diamana BB R
    Irons: Ping i200 5-U w/Project X 5.5 LZ
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Issue w/DG S400
    Putter: Ping Anser 2 BeCu w/Winn 1.32
    Ball: Callaway Chromesoft Truvis