ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

2019 Taylormade Spider X

15678911»

Comments

• KmacKmac Advanced Members Posts: 660 ✭✭
    Agree on the headcover. White gets dirty too easy
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Advanced Members Posts: 3,436
    edited March 11
    I did a putter fitting today with my club fitter/builder (trhode on this site). A few interesting findings.

Alignment aid: The thicker alignment aid does work really well. I thought I wanted a single site line, but I tried both versions, and the thicker alignment aid really helped me line up the ball. After 20 minutes, I didn't even consider the single thin site line.

Finish: I putted with both the copper and the navy. The navy is a very dark navy, which I like. The finish looked good, and appeared to be of high quality, so I am hoping the finish isn't an issue with extensive play.

Small slant (30 degree toe hang) vs. Single bend (face balanced): I liked both, but we both thought that I pulled the putts less frequently with the small slant.

My fitter put a mirror on the face of my gamer (SeeMore center shaft) and then on the Spider X, then a laser behind the cup. It was interesting to see how much better I was lining up with the Spider X compared to my gamer. When he would remove the ball, and the laser would hit the mirror, almost every time the Spider X was lined up within the cup. With my gamer, I was more like 50-50 inside the cup vs. left of it (I am left handed). I did this roughly 20 times with each putter, and the results were consistent. In a real round, I will line up the line on the ball with my intended line, so alignment is less of a practical issue, but it was interesting to see this result.

This putter felt really great, and put a nice roll on the ball. Trhode bent the putter to 3 degrees flat (standard lie is 70 degrees) and that helped even more. I ended up ordering the Navy, 34 inches, small slant, thick alignment aid, 3 degrees flat. Going to put my Flat Cat Tak grip on it when it comes. Once it comes, we will test it and determine if we need to change the weights.
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60 stiff shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro White
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 degree with Diamana X Limited 70 stiff shaft
    P790 3-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Cobra F8 22 degree hybrid with Tensei Pro Blue 80 stiff shaft
    Titleist SM7 54 and 60 degree wedges
    Lajosi Damascus Steel mallet with copper insert
  • agoodmanmbkagoodmanmbk Advanced Members Posts: 392 ✭✭
    edited March 11
    Still loving mine. Weight, feel off the face and balance is perfect imo
    Titleist TS2 Tensei Pro White 60
    Titleist TS2 14.25* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70
    PING G410 19* Tensei Pro Blue 80
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 56*SS/60*SS
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy
    TaylorMade TP5
  • Mr.FujiMr.Fuji Connection Advanced Members Posts: 637 ✭✭
    Just ordered a 34” small slant copper with white and a Lamkin deep etched grip to throw on it, should be here tomorrow.
    Ping G400 Max PX HC Yellow
    Ping SF Tech 16*
    Titleist 816H1 21*
    Titleist 913H 24*
    Callaway CF16/Pro Combos 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
    Spider X Copper
  • gioria126gioria126 Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    I replaced my slant-neck Copper X with a Pure Grips mid one (the stock SS grip keeps pushing right). I also adjusted my ball position to be more forward. Played today, front 9 was still bad, either fell short or direction was off. Back 9 I changed to use left hand down putting, started to hole almost everything. I will have to stick with this stroke and putter and see how good it can be.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Advanced Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    I have had my navy and thick white line since the day or two before official release. If you were to search every post I have made on this forum, you will not find one where I talk about putting well.

FWIW I was using a 35 inch SC and had putted left hand low for 40 years.

The day I put this in play I watched a Jason Day video and have tried to mimic his setup with my 34 inch X. I have not made every putt lol, but I have made a bunch and those not made are close. Zero 3 putts in three rounds which may be a life long record.

The original Spider was too soft for me and I could not get the ball to the hole on long putts or slow greens. The X lines up so well and has the perfect insert for me.

As I said, I have never talked about a putter before and as a club HO I have never said the following about any golf equipment. The X is a game changer for me.

Sunday was a windy day and high of 43. I played at a slope of 120 and my driver was less than average for me. I threw a 75 on the card with two OB's.

I use to detest putting. Now I can't wait to get on the green.
    Taylormade 2017 M2 with Hzrdus stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff [font=arial, sans-serif]Oban Kiyoshi[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Tour Limited[/font]
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z945 with Recoil 110 F4 5i - PW
    Taylormade Milled grind 52 with Recoil 110 F4
    Callaway PM 56 & 60 with SteelFiber R
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 64 with SteelFiber R

Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!
  • lefty74pghlefty74pgh Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,535 ✭✭
    rxk9fan wrote:

I have had my navy and thick white line since the day or two before official release. If you were to search every post I have made on this forum, you will not find one where I talk about putting well.

The day I put this in play I watched a Jason Day video and have tried to mimic his setup with my 34 inch X. I have not made every putt lol, but I have made a bunch and those not made are close. Zero 3 putts in three rounds which may be a life long record.

The original Spider was too soft for me and I could not get the ball to the hole on long putts or slow greens. The X lines up so well and has the perfect insert for me.

As I said, I have never talked about a putter before and as a club HO I have never said the following about any golf equipment. The X is a game changer for me.

Sunday was a windy day and high of 43. I played at a slope of 120 and my driver was less than average for me. I threw a 75 on the card with two OB's.

What Spider did you have before?
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame Advanced Members Posts: 2,604 ✭✭
    This past Sunday, 3 guys in my foursome was using the new Spider X with me as a lone holdout. Toward the end of my golf day (27 holes) after I was having trouble getting my putts to the hole due to slow and bumpy winter greens, my putter has very soft insert. I rolled the ball much better with friend's Spider X. Nearly bought a navy blue with white line but decided I'll wait.

They do seem to roll better than previous Spider models.
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    Titleist 917F2 15* & 18* Diamana D+ 80 x-stiff
    816H1 21 & 25 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    718 AP2 5-PW Modus 130 stiff
    SM4 52* & 58*
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"

• arobbins3arobbins3 Members Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Just switched from Evnroll ER2 to Spider X. Don't think this putter will be coming out of the bag any time soon!
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,842 ✭✭
    arobbins3 wrote:

Just switched from Evnroll ER2 to Spider X. Don't think this putter will be coming out of the bag any time soon!

RIP.jpg 91.3K
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Advanced Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    lefty74pgh wrote:

rxk9fan wrote:

What Spider did you have before?

The tour red but was not mine. It was my best friends who putted well with it...at least compared to me.
    Taylormade 2017 M2 with Hzrdus stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff [font=arial, sans-serif]Oban Kiyoshi[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Tour Limited[/font]
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z945 with Recoil 110 F4 5i - PW
    Taylormade Milled grind 52 with Recoil 110 F4
    Callaway PM 56 & 60 with SteelFiber R
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 64 with SteelFiber R

Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!
  • Ryan5508Ryan5508 Advanced Members Posts: 444 ✭✭
    arobbins3 wrote:

I loved my ER2 until I didn't.

I evnly rolled it everywhere but the hole most days.
    [font=georgia,serif]Ping G400 Max - Kuro Kage XD 70g[/font]
    Ping G400 3w - Tour 70 Callaway Epic SZ 3w
    Ping G400 2h - Tour 80 Callaway Apex 2h
    Ping i210 PW-4i - [font=georgia, serif]DG X100 Mizuno Mp18's PW-3i[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Ping[/font][font=georgia, serif] [/font][font=georgia, serif]G410 3 Crossover -[/font][font=georgia, serif] Tour 80 Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60[/font]
    Ping Glide 50, 56, 60 Evnroll ER2
    [font=georgia, serif]Taylormade [/font][font=georgia, serif]Spider X [/font][font=georgia, serif]slant neck Odyssey #7 RSX[/font]
  • bamagolfbamagolf Advanced Members Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I have been trying the copper/white in 35” in my local store and thought that I’d like one. What held me back was the 349 sticker. But, I might have been looking around on eBay last night and may have thrown out a bid that I thought wouldn’t win and it may have won anyway. So I may have one coming that’s 35”, stil in the wrapper. I saved a few dollars off retail but not much.
    Bag 1:
    Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
    Callaway GBB Heavenwood
    Callaway XR OS 6H
    Ping G410 5-LW
    Ping Eye 2 L
    TM Spider X 35"
  • Onespeed24Onespeed24 Advanced Members Posts: 118 ✭✭
    I just stopped by my local Golf Mart to pick up some grips and while there I checked to see what the Spider X display was looking like.

When they first put them on the floor a few weeks ago there was an even number of blue and copper models out there, probably 20 of each.

Today there were only a few blues left but still a bunch of coppers.

Its funny because when I was testing them a few weeks ago I was certain I was going to get the blue, but ended up with a copper with wide sight line.

It took seeing them outside in the sunlight before I made the switch to the copper.

So far so good and really enjoying this new putter.

FWIW, been testing the new 2019 TP5X and Mizuno RBTourX balls and so far both feel great off this putter insert.

I think the Mizuno ball may win out overall.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 Max 10.5*, Speeder 569 Evo II[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 5W, Speeder 569 Evo II[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G410 4H, Project X Evenflow Black[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno JPX-919 Forged 5-GW, Nippon Modus3 105 [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno S5 50*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS, 58* ES [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade Spider X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade TP5X[/font]
  • Gary JGary J Members Posts: 1
    How is it that the slant model is for those with an arc in the swing? Don't all swings have arcs? It seems straight back and through would be hard to do for any putt more than a few inches.
  • swoll crackerswoll cracker Advanced Members Posts: 389 ✭✭
    I decided to pull the trigger on a copper Spider X. I've never liked Spider putters but there's something about this particular model that really suits me. I line it up well and I really like the more streamlined look.
    Callaway EPIC Flash SZ 9*, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S-flex
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18* Project X EvenFlo 75 S-flex
    Callaway Rogue 21* Project X EvenFlo 75 S-flex
    Callaway X2Hot Pro 23* Hybrid Fujikura Motore F1 85
    Callaway Rogue Pro 5-AW Project X LZ 95 6.0
    Callaway MD4 54* S Grind
    Callaway MD4 PM Grind 58*
    Toulon Design Columbus 34"
    Gary J wrote:

How is it that the slant model is for those with an arc in the swing? Don't all swings have arcs? It seems straight back and through would be hard to do for any putt more than a few inches.

Probably to some degree all putter strokes have at least a slight arc, but some folks like to really swing the toe out and around during the stroke.

A SBST stroke is really hard to maintain but some strive for that, and so they make face-balanced or toe-hang putters to suit either stroke.

It's all about getting the face square at impact on the right line, and the different types of putters aid or hinder that depending on your stroke.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 Max 10.5*, Speeder 569 Evo II[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G410 4H, Project X Evenflow Black[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno JPX-919 Forged 5-GW, Nippon Modus3 105 [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS, 58* ES [/font]

Anyone have a recommendation for a putter cover that fits this Spider X well?
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60 stiff shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro White
  • SC-TX 88SC-TX 88 Advanced Members Posts: 1,020 ✭✭
    I’ve had my X since release but finally go it on the course this weekend. I’m impressed with the putter. I’ve always had a pretty good stroke, but have days where I struggle to see the line. The thicker white section really seems to help me with this. So far so good.
    M5 9.0 w/ Tensei White 70X tipped 1”
    M2 2017 TI T3 (actual 13.7) w/GD AD TP 8X tipped 0.5”
    M2 2016 TI 18 w/ Fujikura 93X Pro Spec tipped 0.5”
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2 w/Tensei Pro White 100TX tipped 0.5” (or) UDI 3 w/Fujikura Pro 115 Tour Spec X-Flex
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW w/ C-Taper 130X
    Raw SM6 54.08M, WedgeWorks 60 T Grind (54/60 DGTI S400)
    Machine M1A (“Tiger Proto”), TM Spider X, Toulon Atlanta, Ping Vault Anser 2, SeeMore FGP Mallet
    Rotate between 2/3 irons depending on course
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Advanced Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭
    SC-TX 88 wrote:

I've had my X since release but finally go it on the course this weekend. I'm impressed with the putter. I've always had a pretty good stroke, but have days where I struggle to see the line. The thicker white section really seems to help me with this. So far so good.

Most of you guys going with the thicker white line? or the single thin line ? I wish the thicker line was the width of a ball....would seem to make more sense ala the two ball putters. Also...how is the paint finish holding up on these ?

SC-TX 88 wrote:

I've had my X since release but finally go it on the course this weekend. I'm impressed with the putter. I've always had a pretty good stroke, but have days where I struggle to see the line. The thicker white section really seems to help me with this. So far so good.

Most of you guys going with the thicker white line? or the single thin line ? I wish the thicker line was the width of a ball....would seem to make more sense ala the two ball putters. Also...how is the paint finish holding up on these ?

From what I can tell, the paint job looks very good. Time will tell if this is true. There is some research and data behind the width of the thick white line they chose. I don't have it, but maybe someone who does will chime in. I find this thick white line to be a very good alignment aid.
  • barrysmootbarrysmoot It's Not So Much How You Drive, But How You Arrive ;) Advanced Members Posts: 397 ✭✭
    Never been a big Spider fan, but hit the Spider X 4x I've been to the store and all I can say for me is wow. I've never felt so confident putting and that thick white alignment is great. Going to definitely pick one or two up
  • Kale_mKale_m Advanced Members Posts: 1,627 ✭✭
    Was 15% off putters T golftown. Picked up a navy spider.

Come on golf season!
    Taylormade M4 9.5 (set to 7.5) Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    3w — undecided
    Taylormade 790 UDI 2 iron Tensei Pro White 90tx
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Tm milled grind 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 35” navy with true path alignment
  • SC-TX 88SC-TX 88 Advanced Members Posts: 1,020 ✭✭

SC-TX 88 wrote:

Two rounds in and no issue with paint. Hopefully this remains the case.

I kind of like the white not being the width of a ball tbh. Focuses my eyes in on the sweet spot.
    M5 9.0 w/ Tensei White 70X tipped 1”
    M2 2017 TI T3 (actual 13.7) w/GD AD TP 8X tipped 0.5”
    M2 2016 TI 18 w/ Fujikura 93X Pro Spec tipped 0.5”
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2 w/Tensei Pro White 100TX tipped 0.5” (or) UDI 3 w/Fujikura Pro 115 Tour Spec X-Flex
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW w/ C-Taper 130X
    Raw SM6 54.08M, WedgeWorks 60 T Grind (54/60 DGTI S400)
    Machine M1A (“Tiger Proto”), TM Spider X, Toulon Atlanta, Ping Vault Anser 2, SeeMore FGP Mallet
    Rotate between 2/3 irons depending on course
  • LesmondLesmond Advanced Members Posts: 11,297 ✭✭
    Kale_m wrote:

Come on golf season!

Nice. I would get that deal too. Looking for the copper one.
    TaylorMade M3 Driver 9.5*
    TaylorMade M6 FWY 15*
    TaylorMade M3 FWY 18*

Titleist 718 T-MB 4
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX4 (Raw) 50* mid, 54* mid, 58* mid
    Nike Method Prototype 006 Rory Mcilroy
    21Pd3+4L8HL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
    Rors about to get a win with the copper w/ white X, same model I have.

I had a two day tournament this weekend... I didn't win.

• lang30lang30 Hawkeye Advanced Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    Lesmond wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

Come on golf season!

Am I missing something or is their starting price $100 over retail?
    G400 Max 9 Degree Tour75x
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Cobra F9 4 - GW C-Taper s+
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58 DG x100
    Taylormade Spider X
    lang30 wrote:
    Lesmond wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

Come on golf season!

It’s supposed to be $349. Is there a place that sells them for less?
    TaylorMade M6 FWY 15*
    TaylorMade M3 FWY 18*

Titleist 718 T-MB 4
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
  • nosilnosil Advanced Members Posts: 791 ✭✭
    lang30 wrote:

Lesmond wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

Come on golf season!

You are missing that GolfTown is located in Canada.
    nosil wrote:

lang30 wrote:

Lesmond wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

Come on golf season!

You are missing that GolfTown is located in Canada.
    Makes sense now, thanks. I clearly missed that fact.
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Taylormade Spider X
    Lesmond wrote:

lang30 wrote:
    Lesmond wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

Come on golf season!

It’s supposed to be $349. Is there a place that sells them for less?
    I just bought one on eBay for $319 new.
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Taylormade Spider X
    I might actually grab one today, I have some store credit and trade-ins to see if I can get it around $200 or so.

:) 
    TaylorMade M6 FWY 15*
    TaylorMade M3 FWY 18*

Titleist 718 T-MB 4
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
  • gioria126gioria126 Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Anyone found the navy goes "straighter" than the copper (both with the wide white alignment)? My issue is, when I purchased my copper one, I did not get to have a navy one to try and compare with. I felt my copper tends to go right, which I fixed it by changing to a new grip and also changing to left hand down putting. However, I got to try the navy and copper in store 2 days ago, and surprisingly I holed much better with the navy as it went exactly to the intended direction. I just don't need to make any adjustment and it naturally went to wherever I want. The copper in store there also has an issue about going right. I realized my eye sight stayed longer while using the navy vs the copper. Now I'm considering whether I shall sell my copper and get a navy...
  • ruffellprefleyruffellprefley Advanced Members Posts: 2,015 ✭✭
    why no single bend in the navy and only the copper? 
    Picked this one today for $87 after tax. With trade in and some store credit. Cant wait to try on the course this weekend. 

TaylorMade M6 FWY 15*
    TaylorMade M3 FWY 18*

Titleist 718 T-MB 4
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
  • KmacKmac Advanced Members Posts: 660 ✭✭
    Never been a big Spider fan, but hit the Spider X 4x I've been to the store and all I can say for me is wow. I've never felt so confident putting and that thick white alignment is great. Going to definitely pick one or two up
    haha because one just isnt enough
  • arobbins3arobbins3 Members Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Absolutely loving my copper Spider X! Weight, feel and consistency has been outstanding, even on crappy, overgrown greens in Michigan so far this spring it has been great.
    Can't wait to put this in play tomorrow. A lot of chatter about the headcover, but I think it has a nice look to it and somewhat matches the G400 headcovers.

G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Taylormade Spider X
  • Svang5Svang5 Advanced Members Posts: 587 ✭✭
    When will they offer the weights for Spider x putter? In desperate need of two 20 gram weights! Aftermarket or OEM. 
15678911»