2019 Taylormade Spider X

Comments

• milosmilos ms1 Australia 144WRX Points: 79Handicap: 4Members Posts: 144 Fairways
    Jdavenp3 wrote:

I'm loving everything about this putter with the exception of one caveat. The white face is picking up sharpie marks left and right. I use a full line around my ball and the white is getting decently stained.

Doesn't bother me much at all but some people may be turned off. It's a **** fine putter though.

That's bothering me less than the marks on the head cover. Seems I take my putter cover off with my left hand before I remove my glove and then remove my glove. My headcover now has some nasty black smudge staining from my glove. Sigh.

The positive is that I feel there will be a long honeymoon with this putter. First 3 outings with it have been spectacular.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JCKHJCKH  78WRX Points: 1Banned Posts: 78 Bunkers
    love the smaller look of this compared to spider tour.
    Posted:
  • AG12AG12  1790WRX Points: 917Handicap: 10Members Posts: 1,790 Platinum Tees
    Well still getting comfortable with the Spider X. This was my second round with it today and had one less putt than last week on a tougher course. Drained a bunch of long ones but three jacked a par three (not the putters fault).

Also to those stating the face getting dirty. I didn’t let my sharpie mark on my ballbdry long enough before I hit my putt and got a blue mark on the face. As others have mentioned when I got home I used a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser with some water and it came right off!
    Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60
    3W: Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70
    5W: PING G410 18* Tour 75
    4HY: Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8
    Irons: PING G410 5-UW Project X LZ 120
    Wedges: Titleist SM7 54.14F/60.10M DG S200 
    Putter: Bettinardi BB1F Blackout Limited Run
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • jbole267jbole267 Calgary 385WRX Points: 99Handicap: 1Members Posts: 385 Greens
    The more I putt with this the better it is starting to feel.

I switched from the superstroke pistol to an iomic putter grip and night and day difference. Head feels better at impact and weight as well.

I think once the weights are made available you will be able to really get this thing dialed in.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 - Ventus Black 7X
    Srixon Z785 KBS 130X
    Titleist Vokey Sm7 50-54-58
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 64
    Scotty Cameron Mil Spec
    Taylormade TP5X
  • Cheesehead42Cheesehead42  685WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 685 Golden Tee
    Special build from the tour van for an unnamed plyer

Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]WITB:[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING G400 LST 8.5 Kuro Kage 60g X-Flex[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Px LZ 6.5 2 iron[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC 3i-PW Modus3 120 X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 Wedges: 49,53,59 Modus3 120 X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Custom Black Lab Flow Neck Putter[/font]
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic  3527WRX Points: 500Handicap: 3.0Members Posts: 3,527 Titanium Tees

Would make a sick armlock
    Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4 iron w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 95X
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 50 S-Grind
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 56 X-Grind
    Vokey Low Bounce K-Grind 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini Copper

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6630WRX Points: 1,079Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,630 Titanium Tees

I just recently saw someone on TV (a guy I believe) using a Backstryke putter.

Can't for the life of me remember who it was though.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

• Golfer_1993Golfer_1993  623WRX Points: 106Handicap: 4.0Members Posts: 623 Golden Tee
    nsxguy wrote:

I just recently saw someone on TV (a guy I believe) using a Backstryke putter.

Can't for the life of me remember who it was though.

Jim Furyk. I'm a 100% sure the putter is for him.
    Posted:
  • coomdaddycoomdaddy  84WRX Points: 26Handicap: 3ClubWRX Posts: 84 Fairways
    Has anyone already covered why there isn’t a single bend in navy in the thread? Sorry if I missed it.
    Posted:
  • mBiden2mBiden2 #15 and counting..... Atlanta, GA 1043WRX Points: 267Handicap: 10.2Members Posts: 1,043 Platinum Tees
    coomdaddy wrote:
    Has anyone already covered why there isn’t a single bend in navy in the thread? Sorry if I missed it.

Not sure, but I was wondering the same thing. I def like the navy over the copper but there needs to be some bend options.
    Posted:
    WITB

Driver - ***under construction***
    3W - ***under construction***
    Irons - ***under construction***
    Wedges - ***under construction***
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-Slant
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6630WRX Points: 1,079Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,630 Titanium Tees
    mBiden2 wrote:

coomdaddy wrote:

Not sure, but I was wondering the same thing. I def like the navy over the copper but there needs to be some bend options.

Not sure I understand the question.

The "single bend" is the flange model, yes ? I assume so since the "double bend" is obvious and only available in copper/white.

The flange model is available in all 4 iterations; copper/white, copper/single white line, navy/white and navy/single white line.

Bummer because of course I personally like face balanced (double bend) putter and I like the navy coloring,,,,,,,, so of course the only face balanced one is copper/white.
    Posted:

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Titleist AVX

Advertisement
  • Golfer_1993Golfer_1993  623WRX Points: 106Handicap: 4.0Members Posts: 623 Golden Tee
    nsxguy wrote:

mBiden2 wrote:

coomdaddy wrote:

The "single bend" is the flange model, yes ? I assume so since the "double bend" is obvious and only available in copper/white.

The flange model is available in all 4 iterations; copper/white, copper/single white line, navy/white and navy/single white line.

Bummer because of course I personally like face balanced (double bend) putter and I like the navy coloring,,,,,,,, so of course the only face balanced one is copper/white.

The Copper comes with a single bend and a flow neck. The Navy only comes with a flow neck, no single bend.
    Posted:

nsxguy wrote:

mBiden2 wrote:

coomdaddy wrote:
    Has anyone already covered why there isn't a single bend in navy in the thread? Sorry if I missed it.

The Copper comes with a single bend and a flow neck. The Navy only comes with a flow neck, no single bend.

OK, I see now. TM is calling it "single bend" (for the face balanced).

Typically I believe that type of shaft is referred to by most others as a "double bend". My apologies if that is incorrect.
    Posted:

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Titleist AVX

nsxguy wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

mBiden2 wrote:

coomdaddy wrote:
    Has anyone already covered why there isn't a single bend in navy in the thread? Sorry if I missed it.

OK, I see now. TM is calling it "single bend" (for the face balanced).

Typically I believe that type of shaft is referred to by most others as a "double bend". My apologies if that is incorrect.

Well it depends on the shaft used on the putter. On the Spider X, they use a single bend shaft. On the Spiders last year, it was double bend shafts. The number of bends in the shaft will also determine the amount of offset you have. For example last year, the Spider Tour Red Double Bend had half a shaft of offset. This year, the Spider X Single Bend has a full shaft of offset. It's still face balanced, it's just the way the shaft connects to the head, and how it looks when you putt.
    Posted:
  • PhilippPhilipp  321WRX Points: 60Members Posts: 321 Greens
    Got mine in navy today.

I'm positively surprised that the navy appears to be almost black.
    Posted:
  • Golfguy224Golfguy224  29WRX Points: 13Handicap: 12ClubWRX Posts: 29 Bunkers
    How’s everyone liking the new spider?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • kekoakekoa  9312WRX Points: 791Handicap: 4-20ClubWRX Posts: 9,312 ClubWRX
    Golfguy224 wrote:

How's everyone liking the new spider?

Just got my son the gold spider. First round out he had 15 putts and shot -3 (9 holes only). I'm not sure what it is about the insert, but I saw a huge improvement on distance control on some very slick greens. He is very happy with it thus far.
    Posted:
    Golfguy224 wrote:

Love mine, sank a couple long ones this Saturday at a course I have never played before. Amazing what a putter can do for your confidence
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    WITB
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Northern California 2382WRX Points: 412Handicap: 2.0Members Posts: 2,382 Platinum Tees
    Golfguy224 wrote:

I’m totally sold on mine. Loving the alignment aid and the distance control is night and day better than the red tour I used for a while. Consistently knocking 40 footers to a foot all day is nothing but fun.

I’ve made peace with the paint issues. If it chips badly, I’ll send it off to Continental and have it done correctly.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 
  • radimanradiman  4741WRX Points: 363Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 4,741 Titanium Tees

Golfguy224 wrote:

I’m totally sold on mine. Loving the alignment aid and the distance control is night and day better than the red tour I used for a while. Consistently knocking 40 footers to a foot all day is nothing but fun.

I’ve made peace with the paint issues. If it chips badly, I’ll send it off to Continental and have it done correctly.

I am all but sold on using my shop money to get this putter. This paint chipping issue has me a little worried though. Did you post pictures by chance? I haven't gone through all twelve pages yet.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • Damenace613Damenace613 Sunny San Diego 638WRX Points: 90ClubWRX Posts: 638 ClubWRX
    radiman wrote:

Golfguy224 wrote:

I am all but sold on using my shop money to get this putter. This paint chipping issue has me a little worried though. Did you post pictures by chance? I haven't gone through all twelve pages yet.

golfgirlrobin might be referring to the existing paint issues with the Spider Tour putters. There are many people who have experienced less than stellar durability on their putters with the black but mainly with the red Spider Tours. I haven't seen or heard anything about the Spider X putters. I've had the Spider Tour Black putters in the past and didn't have too many issues but I'm always making sure a headcover is used at all times.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 Aldila Rogue Silver
    TaylorMade M1 2017 3HL
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    TaylorMade RSi2 B Version 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120
    TaylorMade PSi AW C-Taper 105
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 54*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58*
    Evnroll ER5 Black

Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30138WRX Points: 6,498Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,138 Titanium Tees
    Wide white alignment aide is the ticket for me. That and I prefer the click off the face compared to the red. I can just set it behind the ball and know where it’s pointed. Now I don’t worry about anything but stroking it. I’m making a lot of putts ! Excited about the year to come.
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• sbjinxsbjinx Orange County 2529WRX Points: 236Members Posts: 2,529 Titanium Tees

Wide white alignment aide is the ticket for me. That and I prefer the click off the face compared to the red. I can just set it behind the ball and know where it’s pointed. Now I don’t worry about anything but stroking it. I’m making a lot of putts ! Excited about the year to come.

First the M6 and now the spider image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR
    TM M2 - 15*
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• radimanradiman  4741WRX Points: 363Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 4,741 Titanium Tees
    Lol, it's -3 out right now and I found myself rushing to the store 10 minutes before they closed and picked up a navy with white alignment aid. I have had money to burn there since Christmas and was getting sick of trying to decide what to go with.

I haven't played anything but blade putters for who knows how long. And haven't used an insert for about the same length of time.

But, I really wanted to try my hand at a mallet and really liked the looks of this head with the alignment aid. So far, rolling on carpet, the insert does well to mimicking the feel of a deeply milled face. Soft, but not marshmallow soft.

I'm a little concerned on distance control. In the past, I had a **** of a time dialing in my distances with an insert. Hoping I can get over that in a hurry this year. I only have about 2 more months or so before I can putt on brown, wet, shaggy early season greens image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • RodrigoNicelyRodrigoNicely  957WRX Points: 185Members Posts: 957 Golden Tee

I’m wondering if I didn’t do myself a disservice getting the navy with black line. Everyone really seems to think the white helps line up better.
    Posted:
  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange County 2529WRX Points: 236Members Posts: 2,529 Titanium Tees

I’m wondering if I didn’t do myself a disservice getting the navy with black line. Everyone really seems to think the white helps line up better.

For me the white alignment was one of the main reasons I went with the spider vs stroke lab (my other was the insert but some people really like the new odyssey insert). And for me the white on gold helped me see the line better than navy on white. I think it’s all personal preference but I like what they did with the new spider this year.
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR
    TM M2 - 15*
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

Advertisement

You didn’t I have the single alignment line and if you naturally gravitated for the single alignment that should tell you something. Everyone is going to have varying opinions. For me the single alignment was less busy so I could focus on the entire putter head hitting the ball rather than the alignment line. You made a good choice whether it be single bend, slant neck, copper or navy. This putter flat out works
    Posted:
    WITB
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30138WRX Points: 6,498Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,138 Titanium Tees
    sbjinx wrote:

First the M6 and now the spider image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I know right. Technically I’ve had a red spider in rotation for over a year.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

I had a red spider with white line before. And while it worked. The wide white is 10x better. For me. It’s just automatic alignment.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

Advertisement
  • milosmilos ms1 Australia 144WRX Points: 79Handicap: 4Members Posts: 144 Fairways
    Golfguy224 wrote:

I'm loving mine. It has everything that I liked about the black whilst probably being a little bit better in every regard. No transition pains at all and might be putting better with it. Something I will say for all the concern about the increased cost is that thankfully to me it feels like a more premium putter. The sound is better, it's more pleasing to look at etc. At 34" I think its a bit heavier and benefits from that and I like and prefer the face feel a lot. I'm also sold on the white alignment for the improvement it makes for centered face impact. I could live without the sight line down the middle.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.