2019 Taylormade Spider X

Comments

• Golfguy224Golfguy224 ClubWRX Posts: 25 ✭✭
    milos wrote:

Golfguy224 wrote:

How's everyone liking the new spider?

**** ya it’s easy to Libe up at your target?

I'm loving mine. It has everything that I liked about the black whilst probably being a little bit better in every regard. No transition pains at all and might be putting better with it. Something I will say for all the concern about the increased cost is that thankfully to me it feels like a more premium putter. The sound is better, it's more pleasing to look at etc. At 34" I think its a bit heavier and benefits from that and I like and prefer the face feel a lot. I'm also sold on the white alignment for the improvement it makes for centered face impact. I could live without the sight line down the middle.

milos wrote:

Golfguy224 wrote:

How's everyone liking the new spider?

**** ya it’s easy to Libe up at your target?

I'm loving mine. It has everything that I liked about the black whilst probably being a little bit better in every regard. No transition pains at all and might be putting better with it. Something I will say for all the concern about the increased cost is that thankfully to me it feels like a more premium putter. The sound is better, it's more pleasing to look at etc. At 34" I think its a bit heavier and benefits from that and I like and prefer the face feel a lot. I'm also sold on the white alignment for the improvement it makes for centered face impact. I could live without the sight line down the middle.
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity, has anyone found a good replacement headcover for these? I haven't owned a mallet like this before, so I am not sure if there is just a standard mallet cover you can use, or if you need to get something specific to size. Because, let's be honest, these headcovers are pretty hideous. They are good quality, but so white. There is no way it doesn't turn a shade of yellow and dirty this season. It will drive me crazy.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    radiman wrote:

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a good replacement headcover for these? I haven't owned a mallet like this before, so I am not sure if there is just a standard mallet cover you can use, or if you need to get something specific to size. Because, let's be honest, these headcovers are pretty hideous. They are good quality, but so white. There is no way it doesn't turn a shade of yellow and dirty this season. It will drive me crazy.

Not everybody's cup of tea, but the Seamus mallet cover fits fine on my black spider. Probably more pricey than most want to do though.
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 26, 2019 12:09pm #365
    radiman wrote:

Usually around Master's time or most majors TM will release a "themed" putter cover both in blade and mallet style. I believe last year it was green exterior with the Georgia Peach interior to the cover. I am waiting to see what they have in store this year and will probably grab one for my X. Tbh though the Spider X was is much better quality than the Spider Tour covers but as you mentioned its the color that is hard to keep tidy.
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS3 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    Callaway Apex '19 5-AW Nippon Modus3 105
    Titleist SM7 54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • Milez28Milez28 Members Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭
    I ordered the blue but TM sent me the copper my mistake. So, I tried it anyway and man this thing is so easy to line up! Instead of sending it back for the blue I'm thinking about keeping this one. I did get mine with the Lamkin deep etched grip though. I don't care for the SS stock grip.

I wouldn't mind this cover

94b042338564e5939ba758866b9470d0.jpg
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • texasdavetexasdave Members Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Milez28 wrote:

I ordered the blue but TM sent me the copper my mistake. So, I tried it anyway and man this thing is so easy to line up! Instead of sending it back for the blue I'm thinking about keeping this one. I did get mine with the Lamkin deep etched grip though. I don't care for the SS stock grip.

Something must be up with TM...I ordered a blue/white with the red/silver Winn grip and they sent me a blue/single line with Superstroke Grip!!!

The box and invoice had the right putter listed but they put the wrong one inside.
    . TaylorMade M6 9*
    Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
    Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
    TaylorMade P790 5-PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
    Nike Method Matter B 1/07
    Titleist Pro v1x
    texasdave wrote:

Milez28 wrote:

Something must be up with TM...I ordered a blue/white with the red/silver Winn grip and they sent me a blue/single line with Superstroke Grip!!!

The box and invoice had the right putter listed but they put the wrong one inside.

Yeah this isn't the first, but I think maybe Taylormade knows me better than I know myself. Once before I ordered a custom driver and they sent me the wrong one, so while I waited for the right one to get delivered I played with it and was crushing it. So they ended up correcting it and sent the one I ordered, I sent the other back with the return label and played with it for a few rounds. I didn't hit it near as good as the first one they sent.. lol

I'll probably just order a blue one anyway and have a little competition. Loser goes to BST.
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the navy single sight line and copper/white, but not the other way around. Also find the slant neck to be much better incorporated than previous Spiders or any of the Odyssey's.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to try these out today, tried all available versions and found the copper with the white was my favorite just after a few quick putts. Face felt nice, bit firmer than last version at least to me.

Visually I think they're a step up, performance wise I can't really say. I'll let others answer that.
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • Onespeed24Onespeed24 Members Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    For those with the X already in play, please give us a heads up if you experience any paint chip issues.

I was just looking on the bay at all the Spider Tours and there is not one on there (besides brand new ones) that wasn't chipped all over.

Both black and red versions. I think the paint is too hard or the metal is not prepped correctly prior to paint and they chip really easily.

It seems that even with a head cover on if they get bumped or knocked the paint would chip just from the contact.

Maybe TM has improved their paint process but I think I'll wait to see how the new X fairs with a little bit of use before pulling the trigger.

I'd be highly upset if my new $350 putter looked like a rental club after just a few weeks/months.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5*, Speeder 569 Evo II
    Ping G400 5W, Speeder 569 Evo II
    Ping G410 4H, Project X Evenflow Black
    Mizuno JPX-919 Hot Metal 5-GW, Nippon Modus3 105
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50* SS, 54* SS, 58* ES
    Taylormade Spider X, Copper
    Mizuno RB Tour X
    Onespeed24 wrote:

For those with the X already in play, please give us a heads up if you experience any paint chip issues.

I was just looking on the bay at all the Spider Tours and there is not one on there (besides brand new ones) that wasn't chipped all over.

Both black and red versions. I think the paint is too hard or the metal is not prepped correctly prior to paint and they chip really easily.

It seems that even with a head cover on if they get bumped or knocked the paint would chip just from the contact.

Maybe TM has improved their paint process but I think I'll wait to see how the new X fairs with a little bit of use before pulling the trigger.

I'd be highly upset if my new $350 putter looked like a rental club after just a few weeks/months.

Not going to lie. That's a concern of mine too. I've done really well in keeping my milled putters in very good shape. Paint chips bother me for some reason. I won't have mine outside for quite a while.
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Milez28 wrote:

Does the Deep Etched grip have copper accents like in the pic below?
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17 Jet Setter 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX Posts: 3,521 ClubWRX
    I struggled with mine on the course yesterday. It was probably just me though.

Playing faster greens then I'm used to omg the Florida trip though and they have a lot more break. Will be back out there today playing Championship gate.
    Ping G410 lst tensei  blue/tm m5
    Tm m5 3/5 wood
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Mizuno jpx 919 hot metal pro 6-gw
    Tm milled grind 54/58
    taylormade my spider 
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • Golfer_1993Golfer_1993 Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boycer11 wrote:

Playing faster greens then I'm used to omg the Florida trip though and they have a lot more break. Will be back out there today playing Championship gate.

Orlando golf trip, nice. I'm going down there myself next week, running away from the freezing temperatures in Quebec City.
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

Milez28 wrote:

When you order it on the web site, there is an upcharge, so I would think it is a Lamkin branded grip and not TM.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
    Konklifer wrote:

noodle3872 wrote:

Milez28 wrote:

When you order it on the web site, there is an upcharge, so I would think it is a Lamkin branded grip and not TM.

Correct, the TM branded one with copper accents would look good with it though.

• boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX Posts: 3,521 ClubWRX

boycer11 wrote:

Orlando golf trip, nice. I'm going down there myself next week, running away from the freezing temperatures in Quebec City.

I suck. Lol greens were really fast and tough. I didnt make anything.
    Ping G410 lst tensei  blue/tm m5
    Tm m5 3/5 wood
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Mizuno jpx 919 hot metal pro 6-gw
    Tm milled grind 54/58
    taylormade my spider 
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • Always_roughAlways_rough Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭
    radiman wrote:

Onespeed24 wrote:

Not going to lie. That's a concern of mine too. I've done really well in keeping my milled putters in very good shape. Paint chips bother me for some reason. I won't have mine outside for quite a while.

Concerned about this as well. It's what kept me from buying a black spider. Every single person I played with that had one always had chips in the paint. I get that a lot of people leave it in the back of their cart without a headcover and it gets beat up. Yet, a couple of guys that walk said the paint chipped off the bottom because of sand on the greens, then got chipped more from taking the head cover on and off.

Does anyone know when or if the versions without the black line down the middle are going to be released?
    Got 14 daggum golf clubs, but none of 'em hit the ball straight.

(1W) M3 440
    (3W) 917 F3
    (3i) MP-18 fli hi
    (4i-PW) JPX 900 Tour
    (52, 56, 60) SM6
    Oven B1-01
  • nickosbadnickosbad Members Posts: 335 ✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a Spider X Copper/White yesterday and really looking forward to putting it in play this weekend!

My only issue is that none of the ones I’ve seen so far seem to have the grip fitted correctly...when I hold it with the grip what feels like square then it sits a good 5’ open

I guess it shouldn’t really matter as I’ll get used to it and the only option really is to try and remove/reset the shaft as the grip certainly isn’t going to be pullable!!
    Cobra F9 Yellow 9' HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 Tour 4-5 HXRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Taylormade P790 #3 C-Taper 120 Stiff
    Taylormade P770 4-PW C-Taper 120 Stiff
    Nike Engage 52' Square
    Nike Engage 56' Square
    Nike Engage 58' Dual Sole
    Nike Engage 60' Toe Sweep
    Taylormade Spider X Copper
    Ping Anser Nickel
    Ping DLX Cart / 4 Series White Tour Carry Bag
  • Onespeed24Onespeed24 Members Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    nickosbad wrote:

Picked up a Spider X Copper/White yesterday and really looking forward to putting it in play this weekend!

My only issue is that none of the ones I've seen so far seem to have the grip fitted correctly...when I hold it with the grip what feels like square then it sits a good 5' open

I guess it shouldn't really matter as I'll get used to it and the only option really is to try and remove/reset the shaft as the grip certainly isn't going to be pullable!!

Is it visually not lined up when you hold the putter and look down the shaft or does it just not feel lined up when you think your hands are square?

I'd check to make sure its visually lined up, if so that grip may just feel that way in your hands. The spine on the back is very pronounced and if your hands don't line up with it it may make it feel off line. I tried the previous version of this grip and got rid of it because of the very pronounced spine, I like a more gradual radius around the back. I actually really, really like the grips on the new Stroke Lab putters... I wonder if I could get one without all the Odyssey graphics?

Why wouldn't you be able to pull the grip and reinstall it? It should be pretty easy to do. Or at least get some solvent in there and loosen it up and twist it until you're comfortable with it.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5*, Speeder 569 Evo II
    Ping G400 5W, Speeder 569 Evo II
    Ping G410 4H, Project X Evenflow Black
    Mizuno JPX-919 Hot Metal 5-GW, Nippon Modus3 105
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50* SS, 54* SS, 58* ES
    Taylormade Spider X, Copper
    Mizuno RB Tour X
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolled a blue with white today. Never thought I would like the white alignment enhancement but I’m sold on it and the putter. It just all worked so nicely! Birthday is coming and now I know what I will be asking for!
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17 Jet Setter 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • Gmack1973Gmack1973 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭

radiman wrote:

Onespeed24 wrote:

Concerned about this as well. It's what kept me from buying a black spider. Every single person I played with that had one always had chips in the paint. I get that a lot of people leave it in the back of their cart without a headcover and it gets beat up. Yet, a couple of guys that walk said the paint chipped off the bottom because of sand on the greens, then got chipped more from taking the head cover on and off.

Does anyone know when or if the versions without the black line down the middle are going to be released?

Ive played a black spider for 2 years, and no paint chips at all. I carry my bag and always use the putter cover, and never had any issues with paint chipping.
  • milosmilos ms1 AustraliaMembers Posts: 142 ✭✭
    edited Feb 28, 2019 4:37am #385
    Gmack1973 wrote:

radiman wrote:

Onespeed24 wrote:

I've played a black spider for 2 years, and no paint chips at all. I carry my bag and always use the putter cover, and never had any issues with paint chipping.
    Same, my black is two years old and hardly has a mark. Pictures posted a few pages back and play 2-3 times a week on less the perfect greens. I have however seen others with the paint is worn down to bare metal at the back weight bumpers. I can only assume the owner makes significant contact with the ground when he putts. I hover my putter slightly. Overall the paint seemed very robust and I certainly haven't treated the putter with utmost care and its taken a few solo flights through the air.

After 3 weeks my Spider X has no sign of wear, I could return it brand new. The white cover also had some black marks from the dirty glove I was wearing and it cleaned right off with a damp cloth.
  • groachgroach Members Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

Is that the one from Rorys bag? I was trying to find that online somewhere.
    DR: Rogue Sub Zero - Fuji Pro X
    3W: Rogue Sub Zero - Fuji Pro X
    3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder X
    Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-18 SC - C-Taper X
    Wedges (52,58): Mizuno T7 - C-Taper X
    Putter: Spider X
    Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis
    Glove: Titleist Players
    Shoes: Nike Air Max 1
    groach wrote:

I am not sure it was posted in another thread. I'm just hoping they release these specialty covers soon
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB

groach wrote:

I am not sure it was posted in another thread. I'm just hoping they release these specialty covers soon

If my memory serves me well, I think TM has done some nice majors themed headcover releases. I am really eager to see what they have for The Masters or the US Open. Probably cost an arm and a leg, but it may be worth it for something like that.
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    edited Feb 28, 2019 11:42am #389
    radiman wrote:

groach wrote:

If my memory serves me well, I think TM has done some nice majors themed headcover releases. I am really eager to see what they have for The Masters or the US Open. Probably cost an arm and a leg, but it may be worth it for something like that.

Ya I remember them with the Green and Peach themed masters mallet and blade covers last year

https://community.taylormadegolf.com/t5/Blog/2018-MAJOR-EDITION-STAFF-BAGS-AND-HEADCOVERS-SEASON-OPENER/ba-p/2905
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hated the flange model on the older ones. Always felt like the head wanted to rotate closed on all but the shortest putts.

But this flange nodel feels different. I seem to be able to keep the face square through the ball.

And distance control with these is exceptional.

Guess I'll have to work with them a bit and see.
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • mjbaker80mjbaker80 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got mine and putted indoors with it. Definitely feels like higher quality/heavier materials went into this one vs prior Spiders. The grip was installed very closed so I can't say much about the alignment aspects of it....I couldn't stop thinking about the grip and will until I yank it off.

But, very classy looking putter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file