GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE.

2019 Taylormade Spider X

12526283031
31

Comments

  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange CountyMembers  2564WRX Points: 246Posts: 2,564 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #812

    On -, @TK3309 said:

    Picked up this sweet cover in the Vault today.

    Me too. I’m usually against paying $80 for a HC but I love pizza and how this looks. Wished it was magnetic and really hope the velcro is better than what’s on the standard HC

    Posted:

    Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR
    Callaway Epic SZ 15*
    Callaway Apex 20*
    Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW
    Vokey SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • mulliganman30mulliganman30 Members  1125WRX Points: 129Posts: 1,125 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #813

    Why can’t they make one with a magnetic closure? I also like the Black Spider cover.

    Posted:
  • prouse25prouse25 ILMembers  395WRX Points: 109Handicap: 2Posts: 395 Greens
    Joined:  #814

    Played my first round with this putter. Greens were running over 14 on the stimp and 25 mph wind gust. Brutal conditions. All things considered, I putted very well. Excellent touch and alignment.

    Our pro shop had 6 or 7 in stock. Had been testing one for a while. Strange - I noticed a definite feel difference between two identical putters - same neck / grip / etc. Hard to quantify. Anyone else notice something similar?

    Posted:
  • tdennietdennie Members  90WRX Points: 24Posts: 90 Fairways
    Joined:  #815

    I went to Club Champion today and got fitted for this putter. Out of all the putters I tried I was able to aim this putter much better than the others. I look forward to seeing my putting improve.

    Posted:
  • agood3puttagood3putt Members  2194WRX Points: 1,086Posts: 2,194 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #816

    On -, @prouse25 said:

    Played my first round with this putter. Greens were running over 14 on the stimp and 25 mph wind gust. Brutal conditions. All things considered, I putted very well. Excellent touch and alignment.

    Our pro shop had 6 or 7 in stock. Had been testing one for a while. Strange - I noticed a definite feel difference between two identical putters - same neck / grip / etc. Hard to quantify. Anyone else notice something similar?

    I did notice that on a couple when they first came out but chalked it up to strike. Best putter I’ve ever gained

    Posted:

    PING G410 10.5* Tensei Pro White 60

    PING G410 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 70

    PING G410 19* Accra FX 300H

    Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW Modus 105

    Cleveland CBX2 50/54/58 DG 115

    Toulon Las Vegas

    TaylorMade TP5





  • mulliganman30mulliganman30 Members  1125WRX Points: 129Posts: 1,125 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #817

    Anyone try this cover out:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Head-Cover-for-TaylorMade-Spider-Tour-Ghost-Spider-Mallet-Putter-Red/263033158745

    Thoughts/ impressions compared to the factory cover?

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MabyboiMabyboi Members  129WRX Points: 70Posts: 129 Fairways
    Joined:  #818

    Finally got one for myself! I’ve been wanting one for a LONG time!

    Now to shop for special edition headcovers...

    Posted:

    Taylormade Sim 460 8° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X
    Taylormade M5 3w 15° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8X
    Taylormade M5 5w 19° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8X
    PXG Gen 2. 0311P 4-PW - DG X100 Tour Issue
    PXG 0311 Forged 51°/11° - DG X100 Tour Issue
    PXG 0311 Forged 55°/13° - DG X100 Tour Issue
    Taylormade MyHi-Toe 60°/10° - DG S400 Tour Issue
    Taylormade Spider X - Navy

  • C_radC_rad QuebecMembers  2771WRX Points: 133Handicap: 7Posts: 2,771 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #819

    On -, @Mabyboi said:

    Finally got one for myself! I’ve been wanting one for a LONG time!

    Now to shop for special editi>

    On -, @Mabyboi said:

    Finally got one for myself! I’ve been wanting one for a LONG time!

    Now to shop for special edition headcovers...

    What putter did you have before? Trying to decide if this one can beat my jailbird mini

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*


    PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

    project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

    Lajosi Dd201

    A dream bag
  • MabyboiMabyboi Members  129WRX Points: 70Posts: 129 Fairways
    Joined:  #820

    On -, @C-rad said:

    What putter did you have before? Trying to decide if this one can beat my jailbird mini

    >

    I’ve been using a 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2. I have tried the DJ Spider Tour but this Spider X with the more compact size looks and feels great!

    Posted:

    Taylormade Sim 460 8° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X
    Taylormade M5 3w 15° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8X
    Taylormade M5 5w 19° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8X
    PXG Gen 2. 0311P 4-PW - DG X100 Tour Issue
    PXG 0311 Forged 51°/11° - DG X100 Tour Issue
    PXG 0311 Forged 55°/13° - DG X100 Tour Issue
    Taylormade MyHi-Toe 60°/10° - DG S400 Tour Issue
    Taylormade Spider X - Navy

  • Mg3sncMg3snc Members  29WRX Points: 10Posts: 29 Bunkers
    Joined:  #821

    I did try to roll this. Had a hot face, a little too hot for my liking though. I'm sure with an adjustment id be able to use it but I prefer milled faces so I'll probably stick with that. Great looking putter though!

    Posted:
  • agood3puttagood3putt Members  2194WRX Points: 1,086Posts: 2,194 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #822

    Anyone know if TM is going to release any more stock headcovers? Maybe the stock one but in black?

    Posted:

    PING G410 10.5* Tensei Pro White 60

    PING G410 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 70

    PING G410 19* Accra FX 300H

    Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW Modus 105

    Cleveland CBX2 50/54/58 DG 115

    Toulon Las Vegas

    TaylorMade TP5





  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • awwwskeetskeetawwwskeetskeet Members  40WRX Points: 59Posts: 40 Bunkers
    Joined:  #823

    So just bought this putter and customized it, looks like I accidentally moved the slider to weak loft instead of stronger , is it difficult to have the slant neck putter bent to a stronger loft?

    Posted:
  • agood3puttagood3putt Members  2194WRX Points: 1,086Posts: 2,194 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #824

    On -, @awwwskeetskeet said:

    So just bought this putter and customized it, looks like I accidentally moved the slider to weak loft instead of stronger , is it difficult to have the slant neck putter bent to a stronger loft?

    I would say if you know someone who is competent with a bending bar it won’t be an issue. I had mine bent 1* strong and 2* upright and didn’t have any issues with paint chipping etc

    Posted:

    PING G410 10.5* Tensei Pro White 60

    PING G410 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 70

    PING G410 19* Accra FX 300H

    Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW Modus 105

    Cleveland CBX2 50/54/58 DG 115

    Toulon Las Vegas

    TaylorMade TP5





  • SlothofDespondSlothofDespond Members  54WRX Points: 37Posts: 54 Bunkers
    Joined:  #825

    On -, @AG12 said:

    On -, @awwwskeetskeet said:

    So just bought this putter and customized it, looks like I accidentally moved the slider to weak loft instead of stronger , is it difficult to have the slant neck putter bent to a stronger loft?

    I would say if you know someone who is competent with a bending bar it won’t be an issue. I had mine bent 1* strong and 2* upright and didn’t have any issues with paint chipping etc

    If it wears anything like the previous gen Spyder the paint is going to chip a bunch anyway unless you’re unbelievably careful.

    Posted:
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX  2391WRX Points: 688Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,391 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #826

    On -, @SlothofDespond said:

    On -, @AG12 said:

    On -, @awwwskeetskeet said:

    So just bought this putter and customized it, looks like I accidentally moved the slider to weak loft instead of stronger , is it difficult to have the slant neck putter bent to a stronger loft?

    I would say if you know someone who is competent with a bending bar it won’t be an issue. I had mine bent 1* strong and 2* upright and didn’t have any issues with paint chipping etc

    If it wears anything like the previous gen Spyder the paint is going to chip a bunch anyway unless you’re unbelievably careful.

    The slant neck is so small that I don't even use a bar when I've bent mine. I just get it clamped in the jig and apply force on the shaft down near the neck to bend it. Works fine to make changes of a degree or two.

    Actually saw a pic from a couple years ago on the TM Tour Truck of one of their tech's bending Day's Itsy Bitsy in this way.

    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 3, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade P750 4-PW, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy JDay Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

    jll62's WITB
  • TK3309TK3309 Members  280WRX Points: 200Handicap: +2.2Posts: 280 Greens
    Joined:  #827

    I know this was talked about a few pages back but 12g weights for Spider X putters are back in stock on the TaylorMade website.

    Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    TaylorMade SIM 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
    TaylorMade SIM Max 3-19 Hybrid Tensei White 90TX
    TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
    TaylorMade P770 4-6 Dynamic Gold X100
    TaylorMade P750 7-PW Dynamic Gold X100
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 52 & 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
    TaylorMade MySpider X Black
    Taylormade TP5
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • RH82RH82 Alberta, CanadaMembers  2382WRX Points: 255Posts: 2,382 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #828

    Anyone have issues removing the weights? I have an R11 wrench but not sure if its going to work.

    Posted:

    Taylormade M2 (10.5*)

    TEE CBX (16.5*)

    Callaway Apex (20*)

    Srixon Z 785 (4-6) Z-Forged (7-PW)

    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)

    Taylormade Spider X

  • RH82RH82 Alberta, CanadaMembers  2382WRX Points: 255Posts: 2,382 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #829

    No one changed a weight in a spider x?

    Posted:

    Taylormade M2 (10.5*)

    TEE CBX (16.5*)

    Callaway Apex (20*)

    Srixon Z 785 (4-6) Z-Forged (7-PW)

    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)

    Taylormade Spider X

  • agood3puttagood3putt Members  2194WRX Points: 1,086Posts: 2,194 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #830

    On -, @RH82 said:

    No one changed a weight in a spider x?

    Yesir used a Titleist driver torque wrench that came with a 913 driver

    Posted:

    PING G410 10.5* Tensei Pro White 60

    PING G410 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 70

    PING G410 19* Accra FX 300H

    Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW Modus 105

    Cleveland CBX2 50/54/58 DG 115

    Toulon Las Vegas

    TaylorMade TP5





  • RH82RH82 Alberta, CanadaMembers  2382WRX Points: 255Posts: 2,382 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 14, 2019 #831

    On -, @AG12 said:

    On -, @RH82 said:

    No one changed a weight in a spider x?

    Yesir used a Titleist driver torque wrench that came with a 913 driver

    You tightened the weight with a click of the wrench?

    Posted:

    Taylormade M2 (10.5*)

    TEE CBX (16.5*)

    Callaway Apex (20*)

    Srixon Z 785 (4-6) Z-Forged (7-PW)

    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)

    Taylormade Spider X

  • agood3puttagood3putt Members  2194WRX Points: 1,086Posts: 2,194 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #832

    On -, @RH82 said:

    On -, @AG12 said:

    On -, @RH82 said:

    No one changed a weight in a spider x?

    Yesir used a Titleist driver torque wrench that came with a 913 driver

    You tightened the weight with a click of the wrench?

    Yup just one click

    Posted:

    PING G410 10.5* Tensei Pro White 60

    PING G410 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 70

    PING G410 19* Accra FX 300H

    Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW Modus 105

    Cleveland CBX2 50/54/58 DG 115

    Toulon Las Vegas

    TaylorMade TP5





  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • RH82RH82 Alberta, CanadaMembers  2382WRX Points: 255Posts: 2,382 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #833

    For anyone that installed the 12g weights did you feel that it needed back weighting in the grip or did it feel okay with the stock grip?

    Posted:

    Taylormade M2 (10.5*)

    TEE CBX (16.5*)

    Callaway Apex (20*)

    Srixon Z 785 (4-6) Z-Forged (7-PW)

    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)

    Taylormade Spider X

  • mgfish23mgfish23 Minnesota Members  8WRX Points: 11Handicap: 10Posts: 8 Bunkers
    Joined:  #834

    I bought the Navy with white true path and the tie hang. I must’ve spent multiple hours rolling different putters at my local PgaSS.

    It’s been a few years since I dropped $350 plus tax on a putter. That stung a bit.

    My previous recent in the bag were a Ping ZB 2.0 copper and a Ping Tyne H Sigma G.

    My handicap is around 10, I’m left handed and my short game is my weakness. I’ve gone back and forth on my putting grip/stroke the past year in a quest for more consistency.

    For an off the rack putter this Spider X IMHO is the best putter I’ve used in like pretty much ever.

    Other posters have mentioned that this putter can cause the occasional push putt. With right hand low grip (I’m lefty) I’ve just been dialed in a way I cannot remember.

    My normal miss is a pull so maybe this push tendency helps me?

    I’ve previously and wanted to love numerous other insert putters mostly from Odyssey. For me, the odyssey O works was just too mushy marshmallow to the point where I had no “touch”

    This TM insert seems to be a great match. The ball gets off rolling very quickly and easily. I agree with others that I can feel somewhat “hot” on faster greens.

    The putter alignment works so well and allows me to just focus on speed, which in turn keeps my putts on line for longer. The relationship of knowing that a putt will stay online where you’re aiming has given a sense of confidence that I’ve never experienced before.

    Short putt performance has been great. It’s the +10’ range where I’ve seen some serious change. The last couple years I’ve have not been making “my share” of the longer putts it seems. It’s been great to see some longer putts stay online and drop.

    Final note*. The putter I bought from the PGASS was in the plastic. Upon bringing to the course day 1 my putter had 2 significance scuffs/ dings in the visible address area. I figured I couldn’t argue a wear mark after I left the store. It hasn’t changed my love if the putter. But to have it dinged and not be my fault sort of irks me after giving out $379 tax incl.

    Posted:
  • iceman1118iceman1118 NortheastMembers  153WRX Points: 75Handicap: 7Posts: 153 Fairways
    Joined:  #835

    I just moved on from my Newport 2 to my first mallet ever and I went with the Spider X. Putting is very inconsistent for me so I am trying this out. I went with the copper slant neck. Really enjoying it so far, I have some new found confidence especially with close range. Took a few rolls to get the feel and distance control down due to the insert but was not anything that was too difficult.

    It has been about 3 weeks, I walk 90% of the rounds at my club with caddies and I have my first scuff mark on the paint. A little disappointing but it is what it is. My Scotty was pretty beat to **** and unfortunately there just was not much I could do. I agree for the price tag it is discouraging, but tools not jewels IMO.

    Posted:

    Driver: TaylorMade M6 Hazardous Smoke 6.5 X
    3 Wood: TaylorMade M6 Hazardous Smoke 6.5 X
    Driving Iron: TaylorMade UDI Hazardous Smoke 6.0 S
    Irons: TaylorMade P790 4 - AW KBS C Taper 130 X
    Wedges: TaylorMade Hi Toe Copper 54.10/58.10 KBS C Taper 120 S
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Black 7S
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
    Handicap: 7.4

  • jjljjl Members  1356WRX Points: 163Handicap: 11.3Posts: 1,356 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Oct 7, 2019 #836

    On -, @iceman1118 said:

    >

    It has been about 3 weeks, I walk 90% of the rounds at my club with caddies and I have my first scuff mark on the paint. A little disappointing but it is what it is. My Scotty was pretty beat to **** and unfortunately there just was not much I could do. I agree for the price tag it is discouraging, but tools not jewels IMO.

    Caddies often have 4 putters in their hands and don't always use the covers. One way around this is to tell the caddy you will take care of grabbing your own putter, which is what I do when I play w a caddie. The finish on the Spider X doesn't seem as fragile as the old white finish on their putters but you gotta be careful.

    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 
    Ping G410 5 Wood 17.5*
    Ping G410 Hybrid 21*
    TaylorMade P790 4i
    TaylorMade SLDR 5i - AW
    Titleist SM5 Jet Black 50*
    Titleist SM6 Jet Black 56*
    TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 60*
    EVNROLL ER 1.2 Tour Blade 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B RXS
    Titleist Players 4 Stand Bag 
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members  2040WRX Points: 146Handicap: 3.9Posts: 2,040 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #837
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members  2040WRX Points: 146Handicap: 3.9Posts: 2,040 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #838

    Posted:
  • bkirkley09bkirkley09 Members  521WRX Points: 144Handicap: 20+Posts: 521 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #839

    That is awesome looking. I love it.

    Posted:

    Taylormade 2017 M2 - Accra TZ6 M5 65
    Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid - Graphite Design AD DI 85 S
    Callaway Big Bertha 4 Hybrid - KBS Tour Proto 85 S
    Ping G700 5 - W - AWT 2.0 S
    Vokey SM7 Chrome 48F, 52F, 56S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe Bigfoot 60
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR

  • MedsonMedson Members  2691WRX Points: 292Posts: 2,691 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #840

    So ... Will there be a Spider X2 in 2020?

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • HellstormHellstorm Members  678WRX Points: 111Handicap: 12Posts: 678 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #841

    On -, @iceman1118 said:

    I just moved on from my Newport 2 to my first mallet ever and I went with the Spider X. Putting is very inconsistent for me so I am trying this out. I went with the copper slant neck. Really enjoying it so far, I have some new found confidence especially with close range. Took a few rolls to get the feel and distance control down due to the insert but was not anything that was too difficult.

    It has been about 3 weeks, I walk 90% of the rounds at my club with caddies and I have my first scuff mark on the paint. A little disappointing but it is what it is. My Scotty was pretty beat to **** and unfortunately there just was not much I could do. I agree for the price tag it is discouraging, but tools not jewels IMO.

    I am having the opposite problem coming from the SC Cali....I am getting much closer on the longer putts and pulling the shorter ones. I have had mine for a few weeks and I really feel like it has changed my stroke on the shorter putts to where my transition is not nearly as smooth. I haven't really used a mallet putter in a long time and there is quite a difference in the weight and feel so I'm hoping it is just something that I get used to. I got the copper version and I really like the big alignment aid, which I think helps on the longer putts, allowing me to focus more on speed. There will be quite a competition next spring to see which one makes the bag.

    Posted:
31

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.