new st190 driver review

Comments

• dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,195 ClubWRX
    terrell75 wrote:

RMGC_NV wrote:
    I guess I'm confused as to who the audience is for this video...

They share with you the detailed Trackman numbers, but there is zero in the way of actual driver specifics. No shaft info, Keith eludes to hot melt but there is no further exploration of why (so no club head weighting info), Chris doesn't speak to the improvements made in this iteration of driver, etc.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations...

I think the video is aimed at a wider audience than WRX, hence the normal speak and not techie talk. I could be mistaken in my assumption though.

I think the point was simply to show that, like Mizuno irons, PGA Tour players are talking about Mizuno woods. That is the breakthrough. In the past Mizuno woods were not strong contenders to get in Tour bags, but that has changed with the ST190.

Mitchell was a TaylorMade driver player who tested the ST190 as a favor to his friend Jeff Cook, a Mizuno tour player rep. And Mitchell was smitten by the driver to the point that he put it in play. And now that he has, he loves it and other players are noticing the club.

I believe the resin reference is to the TaylorMade M5/M6. Mitchell mentions glue in the head. That is part of the new TM design. They purposely made a driver face thst is hot beyond the USGA limits and then injected resin to stiffen the face and bring it back within the legal limit.

Mizuno also made the ST190 too hot to be conforming but used internal strictures — ribs — to stiffen the face and make it legal. Two different ways of doing the same thing. Mitchell preferred the sound and feel of the Mizuno method.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • DuckHook02DuckHook02 Members Posts: 987 ✭✭
    mason82 wrote:

DuckHook02 wrote:

My local PGASS in Southlake has the mizuno heads. They are out there.

I'm in Southlake too, will check it out.

I don't know if the ST 190 heads are there yet...I was more commenting on someone's post above that no one ever has Mizuno heads to demo. I've always found my local PGASS to have the full line of Mizuno heads to demo. Whether they have the ST 190 heads yet, I don't know.
  • nmpete11nmpete11 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Reminds me a lot of the rogue at address minus the stupid teal color.
    Callaway Rogue SZ 9* / Fujikura Pro 2.0 6X
    Taylormade 2017 M2 Tour 15* / Kuro Kage 70 X
    Taylormade p790 3 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Cobra King CB (4-6) MB (7-9) / DG X100
    Titleist SM6 48/54
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58
    Evnroll ER2
    Taylormade TP5x
  • Trying4BetterTrying4Better Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    DuckHook02 wrote:

mason82 wrote:

DuckHook02 wrote:

I don't know if the ST 190 heads are there yet...I was more commenting on someone's post above that no one ever has Mizuno heads to demo. I've always found my local PGASS to have the full line of Mizuno heads to demo. Whether they have the ST 190 heads yet, I don't know.

Make that three of us that go to the Southlake store, and yes they have them. image/nyam.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nyam:' /> They did say they will not have the 190s until mid Feb. image/blush2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blush2:' />
  • dirtygoonerdirtygooner Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Breezy-3- wrote:

The front page article mentions that there are 26 no upchsrfe shaft options, any idea what they are?

Would also like to know what the other "no up-charge" offerings will be besides the Atmos line they've been showing so far.

Is there anyone with any experience buying brand new Mizuno drivers? Or will this year's offerings have more/less options than usual?
    Titleist 915 D3 9.5o - Diamana White 70x
    Titleist 915 F2 15o - Diamana White 80x
    Titleist 913H 19o - Diamana White 90x
    Mizuno MP54 4i-6i / MP4 7i-PW - KBS $ Taper 125
    Titleist SM6 50o / 54o - KBS $ Taper 125
    Titleist SM6 60o - TTDG S300
  • ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 702 ✭✭
    Impressed with the American player. Great numbers. I'll have to test these two models out.
    Cobra F9 7.5* + Fuji Speeder Pro XLR8 63tx.
    Taylormade R15 12.8* + Diamana R80x.
    Adams XTD 19* + Matrix White Tie x.
    Adams Pro 23 Tour Issue + Tour AD UT95x
    Adams DHY Pro 27 + Irod 105x.
    Adams XTD Forged Tour Issue 6i - GW + Recoil Prototype 125F5.
    Adams XTD Forged SW/LW + KBS Hi-Rev x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,721 ✭✭
    I you guys like Rogue, you will love these new drivers. Look pretty close, but the feel and sound is better to me. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭
    edited Jan 9, 2019 2:33pm #39

DuckHook02 wrote:

mason82 wrote:

DuckHook02 wrote:

Make that three of us that go to the Southlake store, and yes they have them. image/nyam.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nyam:' /> They did say they will not have the 190s until mid Feb. image/blush2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blush2:' />

I haven’t been to the Southlake store but I feel like I want to now so I can join the club.
  • hardcaliberhardcaliber Members Posts: 709 ✭✭

Breezy-3- wrote:

The front page article mentions that there are 26 no upchsrfe shaft options, any idea what they are?

Would also like to know what the other "no up-charge" offerings will be besides the Atmos line they've been showing so far.

Is there anyone with any experience buying brand new Mizuno drivers? Or will this year's offerings have more/less options than usual?

I’m very interested in shaft offerings as well. I’m pretty much otherwise ready to plunk down.

No upcharge options are always nice, but I also hope they have a comprehensive selection of “exotics”, even if there is a reasonable upcharge. For the current line, it seems like they only offered the tensei non pro. And not every weight or every flex was available in each shaft. I don’t know if they are able to custom order shafts “off menu” or not.

I think if the st190 comes in at 400 dollars and has a strong shaft selection, it should be a run away winner.
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,572 ✭✭
    rexwrx wrote:

Not to be confused with Kim Mitchell?

"I know I'm a lot of feathers and not much chicken...." :-)

Titleist TS2
    Titleist 718 MB 5-PW
    Taylormade MG 52 SB-09 | 56 SB-12 | 60 SB-10
    Callaway PM Grind 19 64.10
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour BXS

• th6252th6252 Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭
    Golf64 wrote:

I you guys like Rogue, you will love these new drivers. Look pretty close, but the feel and sound is better to me. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

in what way? sorry, but it's sort of a pet peeve of mine when someone says something "sounds/feels" better than another club without qualifying it in someone. to some people loudish and tingy is better, others prefer dull and/or muted.
  • stk123stk123 Members Posts: 446 ✭✭
    Anyone know when Club Champion will have these in their fitting centers?
  • shintonshinton Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    From what I hear it's going to be 18 no-charge options, including Tensei(non pro models) white, blue, orange, Kuro dual silver tini, Bassara, and complete ATMOS lineup.
  • MiddlerMiddler Members Posts: 366
    edited Jan 10, 2019 11:14am #45
    nmpete11 wrote:

I loved the st180. I couldn't get over the blue. I would be super interested in this if I was in the market for a new driver.
    +1. I just bought a Rogue driver & 3 wood last Spring, and I don't replace clubs very often. I like Mizuno a lot, that's what my hybrid & all irons/wedges are. But I never considered the ST180 because it was blue, that simple. I realize that doesn't make sense to others, but how a club looks is a factor in what I will buy & play.
    CALLAWAY Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
    MIZUNO CLK 3 Hybrid 19°
    MIZUNO JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10 & 60.06
    EVNROLL ER2
    SNELL MTB Black
    OGIO Silencer
  • th6252th6252 Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭
    Middler wrote:

nmpete11 wrote:

I loved the st180. I couldn't get over the blue. I would be super interested in this if I was in the market for a new driver.
    +1. I just bought a Rogue driver & 3 wood last Spring, and I don't replace clubs very often. I like Mizuno a lot, that's what my hybrid & all irons/wedges are. But I never considered the ST180 because it was blue, that simple. I realize that doesn't make sense to others, but how a club looks is a factor in what I will buy & play.

i think in this case it does make some sense since you are seeing the color during the course of play unlike complaining how the sole of a driver looks when the only time you see it is uncovered in your bag. if something doesn't fit your eye at address, it just doesn't fit your eye...be it color, headshape or otherwise.
  • halfsumohalfsumo Members Posts: 655 ✭✭
    Looooooove the stock length at 45". This and Cobra offering an optional stock setup at 44.5" really are enticing me to just buy for fun to test. I really can't stand that the others only offer stock length at 45.5 and 45.75. I'm never going to play it at that length, and then I have to go through a bunch of hassle making them shorter and adding weight to the head.

Also, if I can get the regular ST190 with Atmos black for no up-charge at $400, will buy and try for sure. Atmos Black worked well for me in a fitting at Club Champion. I know it is stock on the ST190G, but hopefully can order it on the non-G for no extra $. Funny how $400 seems like a steal these days...
    M5 9* Accra TZ5 M4
    TS3 15 Tensei Pro White 70tx
    818 H1 19 Tensei Pro White 90tx
    i500 4 iron, Steelfiber i95S
    Fourteen FH-900 5-PW Steelfiber i95S
    PING Glide stealth 50, 56 SM7 D 60
    PING Ketsch
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife Members Posts: 673 ✭✭
    I was always taylormade driver since the release of the original M2. I made a switch to the ST180HL driver last season because the results were that much more consistent. I told myself I would get over the blue and sound which was obvious steps behind TM. I really don't think the numbers will be that much of a difference with the new driver but the sound is far ahead of what the 180 is at. That and the new look will get me to upgrade. I am bummed with how much the price of my ST180 driver has dropped in just one year though. Will take a quiet a hit upgrading.
  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭
    halfsumo wrote:

Looooooove the stock length at 45". This and Cobra offering an optional stock setup at 44.5" really are enticing me to just buy for fun to test. I really can't stand that the others only offer stock length at 45.5 and 45.75. I'm never going to play it at that length, and then I have to go through a bunch of hassle making them shorter and adding weight to the head.

Also, if I can get the regular ST190 with Atmos black for no up-charge at $400, will buy and try for sure. Atmos Black worked well for me in a fitting at Club Champion. I know it is stock on the ST190G, but hopefully can order it on the non-G for no extra $. Funny how $400 seems like a steal these days...

Is the Atmos black similar to the Matrix Black TIe?
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • halfsumohalfsumo Members Posts: 655 ✭✭
    reider69 wrote:

halfsumo wrote:

Is the Atmos black similar to the Matrix Black TIe?

Not sure, both are low launch low spin. I've hit both but years in between, my initial thought is the Atmos feels little smoother/softer in the hands and the Black Tie a little more stout/stable.
    M5 9* Accra TZ5 M4
    TS3 15 Tensei Pro White 70tx
    818 H1 19 Tensei Pro White 90tx
    i500 4 iron, Steelfiber i95S
    Fourteen FH-900 5-PW Steelfiber i95S
    PING Glide stealth 50, 56 SM7 D 60
    PING Ketsch
  • IvanDragoIvanDrago Members Posts: 451 ✭✭
    anyone know if the adapter for driver is the same as the jpx850?
  • adam2883adam2883 Members Posts: 240 ✭✭
    Maybe its been mentioned and I missed it, but does anyone know or understand the settings with the weights in terms of creating a bias? Was hitting this yesterday in some driver fittings and we were trying to figure it out, not info from Mizuno with the driver and there's nothing on the website yet. We were working on setting it up fade bias, so would that mean the toe weight needs to be closet to the face and the heel weight furthest back or vice versa? Had it set with the toe weight forward and the heel weight back. Great looking and feeling driver, was hitting it with the Atmos Blue, was getting good distance and spin numbers with it but was the worst in dispersion for me in regards to the others I have hit so far.

**This is more of a product fitting I am doing for a company as opposed to actual fitting for myself so I am not always able to get the most optimum shaft choice, get as close to possible.
    Driver: Tour Issue 8.5* Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond w/ Diamana DF 70X
    3 Wood: 2016 Tour Issue Taylormade M2 w/ Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    Hybrid: Gen. 2 PXG 0317X 17* w/ Aldila Black ATX Prototype 85x
    Irons: Taylormade UDI 3 iron w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 105g 6.5
    Ping iBlades-Orange Dot - 4-PW w/ Project X 6.5
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 RAW 52-58 w/Project X 6.0
    Putter: Custom made Slighter Prototype
    Spider X 

Short games don't matter if you hit better approach shots
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers Posts: 3,569 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 7:28am #53
    fade with higher spin: both weights in toe and back

fade with lower spin: both weights in the toe and forward

Or remove the heel weight and use just the toe weight as listed above. Just be aware of the overall headweight and swing weight adjustments.
    Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X (swap with 2 iron)
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Origin B1-01
    Nike RZN Tour Platinum

• KaBoom21KaBoom21 Members Posts: 1,573 ✭✭
    Open a Mizuno thread and see a Kim Mitchell reference.

doubleyou tee eff.
  • trhodetrhode Fitter / Builder Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭
    IvanDrago wrote:
    anyone know if the adapter for driver is the same as the jpx850?

Yes. The adapter will be the same, but they are changing the numbering. Instead is having the lofts on the sleeve, it will say +/-1, +/-2, similar to a Taylormade sleeve.
  • royalgingernessroyalgingerness Members Posts: 162 ✭✭
    Like many here, I'm a huge Mizuno fan and have used their irons for last 20 years now. Would love to see them increase their driver presence on tour and with better amateurs. I notice from Getty images however that Davis Love already seems to have replaced his with a Titleist TS3.

Ironically the familiarity that makes players gravitate to Mizuno irons may be the thing that keeps the driver out of their bag..
  • nmpete11 wrote:

Same here about the blue... I seemed to have crushed it when hitting center of club face but off center not too good. I'm very interested in this club though.
  • jblough99jblough99 Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    edited Mar 8, 2019 6:03am #58
    For those asking about the shaft options, here is the complete list of "no-charge" shaft/weight/and flex options. Just put an order in with Discount Dans for a ST190 9.5* with Atmos Black Tour Spec 60X. Their price cant be touched on these!

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,752 ✭✭
    i guess by now every one knows who Mitchell is
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • SuperBombinSuperBombin Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    jblough99 wrote:

For those asking about the shaft options, here is the complete list of "no-charge" shaft/weight/and flex options. Just put an order in with Discount Dans for a ST190 9.5* with Atmos Black Tour Spec 60X. Their price cant be touched on these!

No atmos black 70 in x stiff?
  • SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭

DuckHook02 wrote:

mason82 wrote:

DuckHook02 wrote:

4 of us. 😊
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini