Scotty Cameron Prototype Mallet Pics

Comments

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 913 ✭✭

Lets' face some facts. If you play golf for a living and your financial life depends on getting the ball in the whole, I guarantee that you would use whatever worked the best no matter what it looks like. I truly believe that the casual golfer kinda feels the same way. They just want whatever makes them better. Hardcore guys like us are that way to a certain degree but also with various twists. For me, I want the best looking putter (in my eyes) that gets it in the hole but I have let ego get the best of me at times and have used putters based on name alone.

But, these in my estimation will only attract the hardcore Scotty guys but from what I've read here and elsewhere, even those guys are running for cover with these fugly sticks.

Correct. He's neglecting his followers (not giving them what they really want). How sad is it that people have to send out their Scotty's to Slighter and others just to get the toe hang and look they want.

So Side bar...is the Toulon Las Vegas slant neck the overall Best new piece of equipment of 2019?! I think so. Looking at the new driver and putter options I think so, with the PXG $575 driver coming in second. I feel like TM went backwards with the M5 and M6. Didn't love the 2019 Bettinardi lineup, didn't hate it either, just nothing to give me the buying itch.
  • ParParAgainParParAgain Members Posts: 101 ✭✭
    OK. I seem to be the odd man out here.

I REALLY like the compact mallet, in black, with NO wings, and a single sight line.

Clean, minimal design.

Granted, lime green would not be my first choice of colour for the sight line.

And yes, that beautiful compact black mallet is decidedly derivative in design: shades of Ketch, shades of Spyder-mini, plus a whole lot of Bobby Grace influences: especially Fat Lady and Amazing Grace.

SC has always been derivative in his designs: like Apple, he takes other people's designs and then refines them, usually for the better.
  • Ngjg21Ngjg21 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭
    edited Jan 8, 2019 6:09pm #124
    I don't mind these at all. Obviously would have to see how they'd perform next to evnroll or even the old Golo 5/7 from 2014. Assuming they roll it well I'd play it...though the sighline would need to be blacked out.

To be clear, though, I wouldn't buy one at full retail unless testing proved it to be head and shoulders above the competition.
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,281 ✭✭
    Let’s be honest... If these did NOT have that Circle T logo and were made by Top Flite, Dunlop, Cure, or even Wilson, they wouldn’t even have a thread here. If they did get to the point of a dedicated thread, they’d be laughed at and nobody would even consider one at $99.

ONLY because it comes from Cameron do they even get recognized at all.
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • glenk69glenk69 G Members Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Wow these look sweet. Much better than all those dorky answer ripoffs he usually makes.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,250 ✭✭

caloge wrote:

to be fair to Scotty, his best designs are remixes. Give him a putter design will potential and he will turn it into the best looking version of itself. Give him a blank piece of paper and a pen, and, well, he has not produced much to write home about.

Other than the wonderful Futura. Bask in its magnificence!

I bought a futura when it first came out. I putted pretty good with it but I almost got laughed out of golf league.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black

OK. I seem to be the odd man out here.

I REALLY like the compact mallet, in black, with NO wings, and a single sight line.

Clean, minimal design.

Granted, lime green would not be my first choice of colour for the sight line.

And yes, that beautiful compact black mallet is decidedly derivative in design: shades of Ketch, shades of Spyder-mini, plus a whole lot of Bobby Grace influences: especially Fat Lady and Amazing Grace.

SC has always been derivative in his designs: like Apple, he takes other people's designs and then refines them, usually for the better.

He has made them prettier but not necessarily better.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Katke87Katke87 Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited Jan 8, 2019 8:04pm #129
    Rock on, Jetsons! The man sure knows how to make money
    Callaway GBB Epic driver, 13.5°Diamana M40, A flex
    Callaway Bertha 5 wood, 19°, Fubuki Z65, A flex
    King Cobra Baffler 4h (23°) & 5h (26°), Aldila NV-HL, A flex
    Titleist 718 AP1, 5-gap wedge, Tensei CK series, A flex
    Vokey TVD 56° K grind, Callaway 2017 PM Grind 60°/10°, KBS Tour-V, wedge flex
    All grips Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound
    Ping Sigma G Tyne putter, Bettinardi/Lamkin deep etch grip
    Ping 4 Series bag
    Headcovers Stitch, Jan Craig, Fore Ewe
    Titleist Pro V1X
    Rovic & Clicgear push carts
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    These look real nice. I am digging them exponentially.

Just keep in mind that Scotty Cameron dictates what he is gonna put out there for sale. And trust that they will most definitely sell.
  • BRIDGESTONE1BRIDGESTONE1 Members Posts: 452 ✭✭
    All about the headcover, anyways.
    TM 2017 M2 9.5 Aldila Rogue 70X
    TM RBZ Tour 14.5 Diamana Ahina 72X
    Bridgestone J38 3-PW KBS C-Taper 125S+
    Bridgestone J40 54* / 60* DG Spinner
    Odyssey #7 Tank
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,155 ✭✭
    Stanks wrote:

Just keep in mind that Scotty Cameron dictates what he is gonna put out there for sale. And trust that they will most definitely sell.

As I’m starting up my company, I just wish my brand was as strong as his. Produce a bad product, still sells millions. Adds a “T” stamp to it, raises the price by 10x. Then sells accessories for as much as competitors drivers.

Just a marketing genius

Current Gamers

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TC Callaway X Hot 3 Deep 14.5...................Rombax P95 X
    Taylormade GAPR Mid 3..............................Recoil Utility 110F5
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................AMT TI X100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-PW....................................AMT TI X100
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 56.........................AMT TI S400
    TI Taylormade Hi Toe 60.09..........................AMT TI S400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • J9293J9293 Members Posts: 324 ✭✭
    edited Jan 8, 2019 10:49pm #133
    ago33 wrote:

Stanks wrote:

As I’m starting up my company, I just wish my brand was as strong as his. Produce a bad product, still sells millions. Adds a “T” stamp to it, raises the price by 10x. Then sells accessories for as much as competitors drivers.

Just a marketing genius

I’m just going to leave this here for you to all digest. This sums up the cult following of Cameron very well.

Driver: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ping G400 Max - HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 6.0[/font]
    3 Wood:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Hybrid:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Irons: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Bridgestone J40 DPC - LZ 6.0[/font]
    Wedges:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Callaway X-Forged - S300[/font]
    Putter:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Scotty Cameron Red X5[/font]
    Ball:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Titleist Pro V1x[/font]
  • Sooner1Sooner1 Members Posts: 678 ✭✭
    mike_fbn wrote:
    I'd be curious to go back and look at the Taylormade Tour Spider thread when the first images went public. I think once could argue that putter changed the game. I've always been a newport/monterey guy, but I love the Tour Spider and I can't find anything that makes more putts. It took a lot to get used to looking at, but now its pure confidence. That said, the quality of the materials and how its manufactured leave a lot to be desired. Say what you want about Cameron, the quality and attention to detail are never compromised... whether you like the styling or not.

Now back to the regularly scheduled Cameron bashing!

Jason Day putted with a spider for 2 years before you could get one like his because it was a 10-15 step process to make it. They sold 25 of them after he won the PGA and they sold out in less than 2 min. They went on to increase in value until they publicly released them over 9 months later. The spider was a hit from day 1, at least in its current form.
  • delmerdelmer ClubWRX Posts: 439 ClubWRX
    Sooner1 wrote:

mike_fbn wrote:
    I'd be curious to go back and look at the Taylormade Tour Spider thread when the first images went public. I think once could argue that putter changed the game. I've always been a newport/monterey guy, but I love the Tour Spider and I can't find anything that makes more putts. It took a lot to get used to looking at, but now its pure confidence. That said, the quality of the materials and how its manufactured leave a lot to be desired. Say what you want about Cameron, the quality and attention to detail are never compromised... whether you like the styling or not.

Now back to the regularly scheduled Cameron bashing!

Jason Day putted with a spider for 2 years before you could get one like his because it was a 10-15 step process to make it. They sold 25 of them after he won the PGA and they sold out in less than 2 min. They went on to increase in value until they publicly released them over 9 months later. The spider was a hit from day 1, at least in its current form.

And Jason Day started using a Spider about 6 years after it was introduced. If I remember correctly he switched from a Ghost Tour mallet to the spider towards the end of 2014 and the Spider was introduced in 2008.

I don't think the reaction to an ugly Taylormade putter would be as drastic as that of one to an ugly Cameron. They've both been making ugly putters for years but TM's putter business revolves around technology and MOI where Scotty release 95% traditional putters and 5% hideous monsters.
  • MCozMCoz Members Posts: 884 ✭✭
    03trdblack wrote:

I actually thought the shape looked similar to the Bobby Grace F18.

"Donny Xerox" has never been as creative as Bobby Grace under whatever name you know him by.
    DRIVER- TaylorMade 2019 M5 - 460 Tour issue/Fuji Evolution 757 Speeder V--S
    3wd- TM 2017 M1 Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 Evolution IV -S
    1i - Cleveland HiBore 16* Tour Dept 3.2 torque S tipped 1" (2-3i replacement)
    Tour 5 - TM RBZ Stg 2 23.5* Fuji MCH 80-S
    Irons 4 & 5-TM M1 Fuji Pro 95i - S ,6 thru 9, PW TM P760 Fujikura Pro 95i-S
    SW- TaylorMade Hi Toe 54* 4-way grind 105 Modus S
    LW- TaylorMade HI TOE- Tour Dept small head, soft heel 4 way grind 60* bent to 59* Steelfiber 110g
    Putter- Bobby Grace-- M.Coz Bandsaw Prototype
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Members Posts: 16,201 ✭✭
    J9293 wrote:

ago33 wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Just a marketing genius

I’m just going to leave this here for you to all digest. This sums up the cult following of Cameron very well.

Hahaha that video and that voice. I can’t say anything though, I have too many good friends that love his putters and other stuff.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    J9293 wrote:

ago33 wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Just a marketing genius

Those dudes are looney tunes, brah. I’m a local guy supporting a local business that just happens to be making some seriously amazing putters.

SC is a stand up cat and his product backs up his lifestyle. He is a perfectionist and had an incredible eye for detail. He’s made it this far because of that and has a pretty comfort nest egg to chill on due to just that.

His s*** stinks. Take the big whiff.
    These are not as bad as people are making them out to be.
  • CCUgolfer23CCUgolfer23 Members Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    tatertot wrote:

You guys realize the goal of a putter is to put the ball in the hole, right? But 90% of GolfWRX has made a decision on these without hitting a ball with them.

I forgot, WRXers are so good, they can't putt with something that isn't beautiful.

You do realize that aesthetics are a major factor in golf clubs sales don’t you?
    PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
    PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
    Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
    Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭
    The T-12 will have my attention when/if it makes its way to retail this season. Not a huge fan of the yellow paint fill but I realize that is a simple thing to fix. If these don't make retail, I will continue to be happy rolling my Futura 5M H17 or Futura 7M.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,231 ✭✭

J9293 wrote:

ago33 wrote:

Stanks wrote:

As I'm starting up my company, I just wish my brand was as strong as his. Produce a bad product, still sells millions. Adds a "T" stamp to it, raises the price by 10x. Then sells accessories for as much as competitors drivers.

Just a marketing genius

I'm just going to leave this here for you to all digest. This sums up the cult following of Cameron very well.

[media=]

Hahaha that video and that voice. I can't say anything though, I have too many good friends that love his putters and other stuff.

I'll see your double twisty and raise you a triple lindy

[media=]
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries FW - S
    Maltby KE4 Tour 19*/22* - Kuro Kage Black 80hy - S
    Maltby MMB 17 - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • playmuchplaymuch Members Posts: 967 ✭✭
    Willian70 wrote:

Kinda looks like a BB56 from Bettinardi. Or ping ketsch.

exactly what i thought

That's an awesome marketing slogan. These aren't as bad as everyone says they are. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,731 ✭✭
    Cameron trying to test the limits of the SC Fanboy Kool-Aid...

giphy.gif
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • wcbjrwcbjr Members Posts: 2,794 ✭✭
    glenk69 wrote:

Wow these look sweet. Much better than all those dorky answer ripoffs he usually makes.

answer?
  • jrshelbyjrshelby Members Posts: 1,148 ✭✭
    wcbjr wrote:

glenk69 wrote:

answer?
    I think they meant Anser.
    Mizuno ST 190 8.5° ATMOS BLK 6X  ⁄⁄ Mizuno ST 190 15° ATMOS BLK 7S  
    MP 18 SC 
    3-PW PX LZ 6.5 ⁄⁄ S18 52°, 58° PX LZ 6.5
    ⁄⁄ Newport 2 ⁄⁄
    lawsonman wrote:

That's an awesome marketing slogan. These aren't as bad as everyone says they are. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Every putter company has very ugly high MOI mallets. It’s nothing new and most are not much better looking than these. Look at the shapes of some of the Ping mallets or the original JDay Spider. People are complaining about green lines on this putter, that thing was red, no alignment, and sat closed but people loved it. The fact that it’s Cameron and people have a Mob Mentality is really what is going on here.
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,386 ✭✭

tatertot wrote:

You guys realize the goal of a putter is to put the ball in the hole, right? But 90% of GolfWRX has made a decision on these without hitting a ball with them.

I forgot, WRXers are so good, they can't putt with something that isn't beautiful.

You do realize that aesthetics are a major factor in golf clubs sales don't you?

This from a guy that has 2 PXG clubs in his bag?
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members Posts: 877 ✭✭
    tatertot wrote:

tatertot wrote:

You do realize that aesthetics are a major factor in golf clubs sales don't you?

This from a guy that has 2 PXG clubs in his bag?

Why do you care? You said the goal is to get the ball in the hole?
    TC Rogue SZ 8.8* Pro Orange 70TX/ ACCRA TZ5 75 M5
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    J-DAY Spider
    lawsonman wrote:

Every putter company has very ugly high MOI mallets. It’s nothing new and most are not much better looking than these. Look at the shapes of some of the Ping mallets or the original JDay Spider. People are complaining about green lines on this putter, that thing was red, no alignment, and sat closed but people loved it. The fact that it’s Cameron and people have a Mob Mentality is really what is going on here.

True scratch. But those other ugly mallets are selling for a few hundred bucks, not thousands.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black