Masters 2019, play Forest Hills or?

Hi All,

I've tried to search through prior threads but haven't found much.

I'm flying into Atlanta this year for the masters, arriving Monday morning. I was about to book a time at Forest Hills in Augusta, but was curious if there is a better option I should be looking at between Atlanta and Augusta?

Thanks!
TaylorMade M1 - Accra FX360 M5
Titleist TS2 15* Diamana BF TX
Titleist H2 21*
Mizuno MP-25 - DG X1
Vokey SM7, 50,55,60- S400
Spider Tour Black

Comments

• thejuicethejuice Members Posts: 2,066 ✭✭
    Are you just looking to play a nice round of golf, or are you looking for fantastic conditions and a memorable round?
    TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
    TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
    Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
    Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
    TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour
  • eedubeedub ClubWRX Posts: 96 ClubWRX
    thejuice wrote:

Are you just looking to play a nice round of golf, or are you looking for fantastic conditions and a memorable round?

Definitely looking for the latter, you have something in mind? thank you
    Titleist H2 21*
    Mizuno MP-25 - DG X1
    Spider Tour Black
  • abergervtabergervt Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Reynolds plantation has a few great courses also lots in Atlanta obviously.
    abergervt wrote:

Reynolds plantation has a few great courses also lots in Atlanta obviously.

Thanks, looks like you need to stay on the property to play there?
    Titleist H2 21*
    Mizuno MP-25 - DG X1
    Spider Tour Black
  • balladmballadm Augusta, GAMembers Posts: 685 ✭✭
    Depends on how much $ you are willing to spend. Everytging near augusta jacks prices up about 5x normal, many do worse. However, if you have the dough and are booking a 4some Champions Retreat is phenomenal and West Lake CC will give you a Masters feel. If you can drive 45 minutes away and want to save money, go play Monticello at Savannah Lakes Golf Village. They only charge $100 during masters and the course could be on the tour, it is a hidden Gem! Forest Hills has a history behind it and honestly they got a new greenskeeper that is turning the greens into slick beauties right now but it is a tree lined course with no water coming into play. Also, I havent played it yet but I hear UGA course in Athens is top notch. Hope this helps.
  • SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    Palmetto Golf Club in nearby Aiken SC.

https://www.palmettogolfclub.net/

End of thread!
    Thanks guys!
    Titleist H2 21*
    Mizuno MP-25 - DG X1
    Spider Tour Black
  • Fore PuttFore Putt Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    eedub wrote:

Thanks guys!

@balladm is right about Forest Hills. Historic Donal Ross course that Arnold Palmer Design screwed up about 15 years ago. It was always in marginal condition but they hired the greenskeeper away from Champions Retreat and he has really improved the condition, especially the greens.

I also agree with @Sixcat. Palmetto is a fabulous course that is open to the public that one week. It is, however, another 30 minutes past Augusta.

Or if you want to spend a bunch of money, you can play Champions Retreat or Augusta County Club. But it'll cost you somewhere around $2,400 per foursome.
    Fore Putt wrote:

eedub wrote:

Thanks guys!

@balladm is right about Forest Hills. Historic Donal Ross course that Arnold Palmer Design screwed up about 15 years ago. It was always in marginal condition but they hired the greenskeeper away from Champions Retreat and he has really improved the condition, especially the greens.

I also agree with @Sixcat. Palmetto is a fabulous course that is open to the public that one week. It is, however, another 30 minutes past Augusta.

Or if you want to spend a bunch of money, you can play Champions Retreat or Augusta County Club. But it'll cost you somewhere around $2,400 per foursome.

Appreciate you all.

So the question here is, removing the travel variable and just looking at golf course: What is the better value? Forest Hills at $175/pp or Palmetto at $300/pp?
    Titleist H2 21*
    Mizuno MP-25 - DG X1
    Spider Tour Black
  • AlmostscratchonceAlmostscratchonce Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
    eedub wrote:

Fore Putt wrote:

eedub wrote:

Thanks guys!

Appreciate you all.

So the question here is, removing the travel variable and just looking at golf course: What is the better value? Forest Hills at $175/pp or Palmetto at $300/pp?

Palmetto every day of the week, and twice on Sundays

eedub wrote:

Fore Putt wrote:

eedub wrote:

Thanks guys!

Appreciate you all.

Palmetto every day of the week, and twice on Sundays

^^^THIS^^^
    Just realized Palmetto is Kisners club, where he got suspended for that Vice video- calling now to book my time lol.
    Titleist H2 21*
    Mizuno MP-25 - DG X1
    Spider Tour Black
    eedub wrote:

Just realized Palmetto is Kisners club, where he got suspended for that Vice video- calling now to book my time lol.

You won't regret that decision. Of all the golf courses I've played over 30 years, it's my unquestioned favorite!
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    If anyone needs a fourth for your golf at Palmetto just let me know. I would love to get back and play this course again!
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
    @fore putt, are you local? If so we should play sometime...
  • thejuicethejuice Members Posts: 2,066 ✭✭
    eedub wrote:

thejuice wrote:

Definitely looking for the latter, you have something in mind? thank you

OP, you got a lot of the replies I was going to give. Monticello at Savannah Lakes would be my first choice, followed by Palmetto. You asked about Reynolds Plantation. No, you don’t have to stay on property to play three of the courses (unless this changed). Definitely plenty of tracks going out I-20 from Atlanta to Augusta and a little bit after August (Aiken, SC). You will have fun!
    TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
    TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
    Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
    Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
    TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour
  • Air JordanAir Jordan Members Posts: 845 ✭✭
    eedub wrote:

Fore Putt wrote:

eedub wrote:

Thanks guys!

Appreciate you all.

I travel to Augusta quite a bit for work and I try to play Forest Hills whenever I'm in town. I think I paid maybe $35 to play it last time. I would never pay $175. I'd say the greens are better than the average public course, but the other course conditions are about average in my opinion. Palmetto for $300 would definitely be my choice.
  • chbrakechbrake Clint ClubWRX Posts: 82 ClubWRX
    I play Palmetto all the time and I have played Forest Hills, if you can get a tee time at Palmetto for $300 dollars its absolutely worth it. You will not be disappointed! Some of the best greens you'll ever play on and dont underestimate it due to it being a 'short' course!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Hope you have a great time!
  • stimpmeterpstimpmeterp Washington DCMembers Posts: 748 ✭✭
    balladm wrote:

Depends on how much $ you are willing to spend. Everytging near augusta jacks prices up about 5x normal, many do worse. However, if you have the dough and are booking a 4some Champions Retreat is phenomenal and West Lake CC will give you a Masters feel. If you can drive 45 minutes away and want to save money, go play Monticello at Savannah Lakes Golf Village. They only charge $100 during masters and the course could be on the tour, it is a hidden Gem! Forest Hills has a history behind it and honestly they got a new greenskeeper that is turning the greens into slick beauties right now but it is a tree lined course with no water coming into play. Also, I havent played it yet but I hear UGA course in Athens is top notch. Hope this helps.

Hey balladm

Is see there are 36 holes at Monticello - do you have a favorite between the 2?

Joined GolfWRX 7.7.07 | 150+ Positive Feedback | Moving towards a minimalist setup

Epic Flash SZ <><><> 9* HZRDUS Smoke
    '13 XHot Pro 17* Aldila Tour Blue 75
    U65 23* KBS 120 S
    MP18 MMC 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    RTX-4 54* & 60* T.I. S400
    Copper Milled Oddy TriForce 2 (custom)

• mrp116mrp116 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭

balladm wrote:

Hey balladm

Is see there are 36 holes at Monticello - do you have a favorite between the 2?

Glad to hear this about Monticello. My wife and I are actually going to be arriving at Savannah Lakes on the Saturday of Masters weekend. We're starting to look into communities to purchase property in to retire at, and that community popped up on our radar. We went through a local realtor and got three nights lodging in a three bedroom lake front home and 18 holes for each of us on both of their courses for a total of $375. I was a bit concerned with the dates working out, given as the tournament is that weekend, but it was no problem. Going down on Saturday and leaving on Tuesday.
    @stimpmeterp

There are 36 holes at savannah lakes village...Tara and Monticello. Monticello is the one to play. It is an amazing layout!
  • GTgolfGTgolf Members Posts: 518 ✭✭
    River club in north Augusta is worth checking out.

• Ghost of SneadGhost of Snead Members Posts: 2,747 ✭✭
    Cherokee Run in Conyers is an option if you're looking for cheaper. Not sure what kind of shape it's in or would be in around early April.
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5* - Blue Tensei CK 70X
    Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 77X
    Callaway Apex UT 18° - Project X 6.5
    Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 3-PW - Project X 6.5
    Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Vokey V-Grind 58.1
    Taylor Made Spider Mini

https://www.instagram.com/wrongsidegolf
    Didn't realize this was still going, thanks all.

I booked Palmetto and can NOT WAIT (bart scott voice) Teeing off Monday in the afternoon- hope they let me walk!
    Titleist H2 21*
    Mizuno MP-25 - DG X1
    Spider Tour Black
  • Gregg JGregg J Members Posts: 5
    Anyone play West Lake? Is it worth 250-300 to play? Looks beautiful!
    West lake is a nice course. Usual guest rate is $95 I think. It a pretty easy course but usually in great condition. I would still go to Monticello if I were you.
  • dogleg0425dogleg0425 dogleg0425 Members Posts: 177
    balladm: also mrp116: I just signed contract to buy home Savannah Lakes Village last week. Will be moving there in retirement in August. If mrp116 would like any info just contact me. My contact info is in profile. Agree Monticello is hidden gem.
  • cardia10cardia10 Members Posts: 2,424 ✭✭
    Hate to start a new thread, but will be staying near Greenwood SC. Passing thru Greenville. Any suggestions under $100 there on Sunday? Would likely play 27 or 36 then head on down to Greenwood.