GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Comparable Used/Low Cost Driver

 caboose ·  
caboosecaboose Members  4WRX Points: 10Posts: 4 Starters
Joined:  edited Jan 8, 2019 in Equipment #1
A local shop had free fittings for the TS drivers back when they were released so I had one (specs below). I don't have $500 to spend on a driver, but I'm looking to finally upgrade from my 2004 big Bertha. Can you guys recommend anything that you think might work that I should be on the lookout for? I know Callaway prowned just started up a sale. Thanks!<br />
<br />
Edit: just mentioned the fitting and giving the specs of the TS2 so people have something to go off. I'm not in love with TS2 and trying to settle for less or anything like that.<br />
<br />
TS2 - T1100 White 65 - 6.0<br />
45 Inches<br />
9.5 Degrees
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:
1

Comments

  • GreenstealthGreenstealth Members  127WRX Points: 25Posts: 127 Fairways
    Joined:  #2
    If you were fitted for it and that's what you like but you can't afford it, my suggestion would be to wait till it's available used on the bst. I rarely ever buy new clubs (esp driver).
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • caboosecaboose Members  4WRX Points: 10Posts: 4 Starters
    Joined:  #3
    <br />
    If you were fitted for it and that's what you like but you can't afford it, my suggestion would be to wait till it's available used on the bst. I rarely ever buy new clubs (esp driver).<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post. That's the only fitting I've ever had and just provided it as a base line for people to go off of. I'll edit the post. Thanks
    Posted:
  • OsnolaKinnardOsnolaKinnard Members  478WRX Points: 77Handicap: 10Posts: 478 Greens
    Joined:  #4
    Buy a 2017 TM M2 with an aldila Rogue 70 black and call it a day.<br />
    <br />
    They'll be under 200 bucks and will give you all the performance you want.
    Posted:
    LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT
  • GreenstealthGreenstealth Members  127WRX Points: 25Posts: 127 Fairways
    Joined:  #5
    caboose wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    If you were fitted for it and that's what you like but you can't afford it, my suggestion would be to wait till it's available used on the bst. I rarely ever buy new clubs (esp driver).<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post. That's the only fitting I've ever had and just provided it as a base line for people to go off of. I'll edit the post. Thanks<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I'm of the thought that really any modern head will perform similar. You can find a ping g driver for 100 bucks. The 2016 m2 is a crowd favorite. The epic was a bomber, I just sold a sz for 150. The cobra heads all perform and can be had cheap. Whatever fits your eye. Hit it in the middle and they will all be around the same
    Posted:
  • blackngold_bloodblackngold_blood Golf Ball Whacker Guy Members  1202WRX Points: 141Posts: 1,202 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #6
    caboose wrote:
    <br />
    A local shop had free fittings for the TS drivers back when they were released so I had one (specs below). I don't have $500 to spend on a driver, but I'm looking to finally upgrade from my 2004 big Bertha. Can you guys recommend anything that you think might work that I should be on the lookout for? I know Callaway prowned just started up a sale. Thanks!<br />
    <br />
    Edit: just mentioned the fitting and giving the specs of the TS2 so people have something to go off. I'm not in love with TS2 and trying to settle for less or anything like that.<br />
    <br />
    TS2 - T1100 White 65 - 6.0<br />
    45 Inches<br />
    9.5 Degrees<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    To be honest anything in the last 6-7 years should give you some performance benefits over your current driver and most can be had for pennies on the dollar in todays market.
    Posted:
    WITB

    Work in progress and will be updated after St. Andrews!!


    Ball: OnCore Elixr
  • burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast hawai'iMembers  325WRX Points: 109Posts: 325 Greens
    Joined:  #7
    callaway preowned has 30% off all their epics. those are pretty sweet. I personally like anything cobra from the last 4-5 years, Im still bombing my bio cell
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1278WRX Points: 898Handicap: 12Posts: 1,278 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8
    If you want to go into the wayback machine, the Cleveland HiBore is very cheap at $30-50 and for me an absolute bomber and very forgiving as well. There is also an XLS version that came later that i haven’t hit, but gets a lot of love on this site. I stumbled upon a regular hibore at a garage sale for $10 and it went into my bag that month.<br />
    <br />
    I know it’s probably not as new as you had hoped, but it is decidedly in the cheap catagory.
    Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

  • hypergolfhypergolf Members  1362WRX Points: 135Posts: 1,362 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #9
    I just upgraded my 909D2 to 915D3 last week. Tested out TS3 and felt that numbers were similar anyway so decided to go with an older model. 909D2 was still performing great and performance wise i say would be not that much different from modern day drivers.
    Posted:
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members  4328WRX Points: 575Handicap: 8.2Posts: 4,328 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10
    <br />
    If you want to go into the wayback machine, the Cleveland HiBore is very cheap at $30-50 and for me an absolute bomber and very forgiving as well. There is also an XLS version that came later that i haven't hit, but gets a lot of love on this site. I stumbled upon a regular hibore at a garage sale for $10 and it went into my bag that month.<br />
    <br />
    I know it's probably not as new as you had hoped, but it is decidedly in the cheap catagory.<br />
    <br />
    The sound though......wear ear plugs
    Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.5) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteeFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1/ '16 Tiki
    Wilson Staff FG Tour/ Bridgestone Tour B RXS / ProV1
  • wareagle12wareagle12 Members  377WRX Points: 71Handicap: 0.8Posts: 377 Greens
    Joined:  #11
    RainShadow wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    If you want to go into the wayback machine, the Cleveland HiBore is very cheap at $30-50 and for me an absolute bomber and very forgiving as well. There is also an XLS version that came later that i haven't hit, but gets a lot of love on this site. I stumbled upon a regular hibore at a garage sale for $10 and it went into my bag that month.<br />
    <br />
    I know it's probably not as new as you had hoped, but it is decidedly in the cheap catagory.<br />
    <br />
    The sound though......wear ear plugs<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Lol, I had a guy to actually get angry that I was hitting mine on the range back in the day. He huffed off and said ear plugs should come with it. <br />
    <br />
    I'd go with a Ping G30/G or one of the cobras. Great forgiveness and as long as anything else.
    Posted:
    Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
    5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
    3-PW JPX 900 Tour SPR X
    52,56,60 Ping Glide
    Putter - Scotty Cameron TEi3 Newport
  • caboosecaboose Members  4WRX Points: 10Posts: 4 Starters
    Joined:  #12
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys! Any shafts you think I should be looking into based on the t1100 white 65 6.0 I was for for on the TS2?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX  4830WRX Points: 552Handicap: 3.2Posts: 4,830 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #13
    HZRDUS black felt a lot like the EF white to me and performed similarly I thought. I didn't fall in love with the TS3 either after getting good numbers in the store... Lots of great options out there, but if you can pony up the money for a G400 Max, it's about as good as it gets. If you can demo the Tour Edge EXS, for $299 new, it's a complete steal.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9*
    Titleist 917f2 16.5* 
    Titleist 915h 21* 
    Srixon Z745 4-P
    Mizuno T20 50, 54, 58
    Taylormade Spider Tour red 34"

  • ian-500ian-500 Members  1086WRX Points: 292Handicap: 12Posts: 1,086 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #14
    Just picked up a G30 LST with a tour 65x for £50/$64. Bargain. Loads of great gear out there and relatively cheap. This would match the TS2 easily.
    Posted:
    DR: Callaway Rogue SZ 9° + Diamana W60x.
    FW: in the making.
    HY: Callaway Apex19 4h 23° + Tour AD IZ 95x.
    Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
    Wedges: iCleveland RTX3 52/58
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • MychMych Members  2291WRX Points: 449Posts: 2,291 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #15
    I'd recommend picking a brand and buying into an adapter system, then upgrading components separately over time. Every Titleist since the 910 series has had the interchangeable SureFit adapter. So you could start with a 910 or 913 for under $100, then upgrade the shaft to something simiilar to what you were fitted for. Then when the TS3 prices come down you could change to the TS3 head. If your swing speed changes over time, or if you make changes to your swing that affect your ballflight, then you can easily test and change shafts to optimize.<br />
    <br />
    For Cobra, every model since the Biocell has had the same MyFly8 adapter system (Biocell, Fly Z, F6, F7, F8, F9). For Callaway, I think they started the Optifit system with OptiForce in 2013. Most brands have had fairly stable adapter systems for about the last 5 years.
    Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra F9 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Ping Sigma G Piper 3
  • PR3CI5NPR3CI5N Members  105WRX Points: 41Handicap: 5.1Posts: 105 Fairways
    Joined:  #16
    caboose wrote:
    <br />
    A local shop had free fittings for the TS drivers back when they were released so I had one (specs below). I don't have $500 to spend on a driver, but I'm looking to finally upgrade from my 2004 big Bertha. Can you guys recommend anything that you think might work that I should be on the lookout for? I know Callaway prowned just started up a sale. Thanks!<br />
    <br />
    Edit: just mentioned the fitting and giving the specs of the TS2 so people have something to go off. I'm not in love with TS2 and trying to settle for less or anything like that.<br />
    <br />
    TS2 - T1100 White 65 - 6.0<br />
    45 Inches<br />
    9.5 Degrees<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I'd highly suggest a used Taylormade SLDR. You can find them for under $100 on eBay or sites like Mercari.
    Posted:
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members  1503WRX Points: 210Handicap: 4Posts: 1,503 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #17
    Mych wrote:
    <br />
    I'd recommend picking a brand and buying into an adapter system, then upgrading components separately over time. Every Titleist since the 910 series has had the interchangeable SureFit adapter. So you could start with a 910 or 913 for under $100, then upgrade the shaft to something simiilar to what you were fitted for. Then when the TS3 prices come down you could change to the TS3 head. If your swing speed changes over time, or if you make changes to your swing that affect your ballflight, then you can easily test and change shafts to optimize.<br />
    <br />
    For Cobra, every model since the Biocell has had the same MyFly8 adapter system (Biocell, Fly Z, F6, F7, F8, F9). For Callaway, I think they started the Optifit system with OptiForce in 2013. Most brands have had fairly stable adapter systems for about the last 5 years.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    IMO this is a great way to go.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • High Plains DriverHigh Plains Driver Chip Yipper Extraordinaire Members  2381WRX Points: 126Posts: 2,381 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #18
    9.5° 915D2 with the T1100 shaft.
    Posted:
    I am not brand loyal. I am just seriously OCD.

    [font=georgia,serif]Driver: Titleist 910 D2
    Fairway: Titleist 910F 3 & 5
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler MM 20° & 23°(The Original)
    Irons: Titleist 712 AP2 5-P
    Wedges: Vokey SM4 52° & 58°
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport
    Ball: Titleist ProV1X[/font]
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7453WRX Points: 459Handicap: 5Posts: 7,453 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #19
    I grabbed a razr fit for 50 bucks.... adjustable, composite crown and nice looking
    Posted:
  • chickwebbchickwebb Members  99WRX Points: 57Handicap: 6.5Posts: 99 Fairways
    Joined:  #20
    Golf Galaxy (Dick's) has that Taylormade RBZ Black for $199 w/the Matrix White Tie - https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/taylormade-rbz-black-driver-17tymmrbz20drvrxxdrv/17tymmrbz20drvrxxdrv. It's better than the original RBZ, which I finally parted with this summer in favor of the M3. And it has the removable shaft, so you can swap if you wish. I bought one as a backup the other day. Great club.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.