Was the Odyssey Metal X line not a hit?

DHarryDHarry Members Posts: 202 ✭✭
Hi guys,

I am just wondering, was the Metal X not a popular putter line? While any equipment does not have to be “Tour proven” for me to play, I do not recall this line being popular with pros or amateurs. I did not play a lot when these were released either. I know feel is subjective but is there a reason why the similar “Works” line that also has a similar mesh in the insert was much more popular? I cannot imagine that these 2 lines would feel totally different.

I like the Works line but it feels a little too soft. I like putters on the firmer side and the Metal X appears to be firmer. However, this putter line does not seem to get much love. I have my eye on one but I won’t be able to roll it before purchasing.

Any comments and/or experiences are welcome.

Thanks,

Harry

Comments

• mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,592 ✭✭
    edited Jan 8, 2019 7:47pm #2
    I think the problem was there simply were just more “trendy” $300 putters to have at the time. I’ve used a couple of the X milled putters and they were nice and performed as well as any other milled putter on the market.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭
    Mackepa good call.

And way more resale value on other brands eg SC.
    2019 May

Ping [email protected] 10.5
    Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Vokey SM5 50 08 F Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!

• dalton044dalton044 St. LouisMembers Posts: 953 ✭✭
    Color scheme was one I don’t think a lot of people liked. Agree with what the others have said too. It wasnt the best time for odyssey to come out with a putter that expensive without it have that special feel like a Scotty or Toulon with the name attached to it. Plus I think 90% of guys on tour who game their stuff like a specific insert and have stuck with that for years.
    -TS3 9.5 Tour AD-TP 6s
    -Tour Issue 16' M2 DF 16.5 Tour AD-TP 7S
    -818H2 21* AD-DI 85S
    -4-PW MP-5/MP-4 S400
    -48,53,58 SM7 TI S400
    -Still searching for a putter