My dad gave me some hickories, anyone have information on them?

Pics first:

rqqucEt.jpg

H94HE0Q.jpg

1sOVcIH.jpg

It says Stewart Maiden Special and Forged in Scotland. My dad claims these were his grandfathers clubs. Googling didnt turn up much information but I'm hoping these arent a newer recreation. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
GBB 816 DBD
TM M2 Tour 16.5*
TM UDI HZDRUS 6.5
716 CB 2i/3i - PX6.5
Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW - PX6.5
Nike VR Forged 52*/58*
SC Newport 2 Notchback DB
WITB Link

Comments

• scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members Posts: 5,521 ✭✭
    They're original not remakes.
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°
    Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°
    TM '09 Rescue 25°
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    TM Z Spin 56°
    Never Compromise NCX RAY tau
  • 70187018 Members Posts: 335 ✭✭
    scomac2002 wrote:

They're original not remakes.

Good to hear! Thanks. Are they valuable? Planning on hanging them up in my office
    GBB 816 DBD
    TM M2 Tour 16.5*
    TM UDI HZDRUS 6.5
    716 CB 2i/3i - PX6.5
    Nike VR Forged 52*/58*
    WITB Link
  • ebeerebeer Swing Hickory! Members Posts: 268 ✭✭
    These are original clubs. They were made by Tom Stewart of St. Andrews, possibly the most famous and desirable of Scottish makers for clubs of the early 1900's. Stewart made clubs for Vardon, Ray, Ouimet, Jones, and many of the most accomplished players of the day. This club stamped "L" indicates a ladies iron. That really only means the head is likely a bit lighter and the shaft is slightly shorter with more flex. What's interesting is that the club is stamped for Stewart Maiden. Maiden was the club pro at East Lake when Bobby Jones was a kid. If you've seen the movie "Bobby Jones, A Stroke of Genius", Maiden is the Scottish pro who sort of takes young Bobby under his wing. While Jones claims to never have had a lesson, Maiden is widely regarded as the model for Jones' swing. As a child he worked to emulate Maiden's movement, and Jones often admitted to imitating his Carnoustie style.

A very nice family heirloom.
    • Various Brassies depending on mood: Alex Herd, AG Spalding, etc
    • George Nicoll 2 Iron Tom Stewart: Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
    • Putters: AG Spalding, Standard Mills, Tom Stewart - depends if I want to miss right or left ;)
    • NorCal Hickory - Pacific Hickory - StymieMagnet (this Instagram link has new hickory photos posted almost daily)
  • KenRobieKenRobie Members Posts: 118 ✭✭
    And now you know "The rest of the story"
  • stixmanstixman Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭
    Great to see such a thing on the internet and to know it exists. Thanks for showing.

If this doesn't inspire you to get yourself a set of Stewarts to play,..what will, I ask?
    Vintage various.
  • 70187018 Members Posts: 335 ✭✭
    ebeer wrote:

These are original clubs. They were made by Tom Stewart of St. Andrews, possibly the most famous and desirable of Scottish makers for clubs of the early 1900's. Stewart made clubs for Vardon, Ray, Ouimet, Jones, and many of the most accomplished players of the day. This club stamped "L" indicates a ladies iron. That really only means the head is likely a bit lighter and the shaft is slightly shorter with more flex. What's interesting is that the club is stamped for Stewart Maiden. Maiden was the club pro at East Lake when Bobby Jones was a kid. If you've seen the movie "Bobby Jones, A Stroke of Genius", Maiden is the Scottish pro who sort of takes young Bobby under his wing. While Jones claims to never have had a lesson, Maiden is widely regarded as the model for Jones' swing. As a child he worked to emulate Maiden's movement, and Jones often admitted to imitating his Carnoustie style.

A very nice family heirloom.
    Wow thanks so much for the info! Incredible
    GBB 816 DBD
    TM M2 Tour 16.5*
    TM UDI HZDRUS 6.5
    716 CB 2i/3i - PX6.5
    Nike VR Forged 52*/58*
    WITB Link