We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Rory Mcilroy has become a bad pressure player (There, we've said it)

24567
7

Comments

  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood?  1467Members Posts: 1,467
    Joined:  #32
    There's no magical explanation, and the cure is simple...he has to want it. Clearly, in his interviews he stated he was not all about chasing wins at all costs. He looked/looks pretty comfortable with the big endorsement contracts, private jet, and enough game to "contend" pretty much every tournament. He likes his view of a well rounded life. I'm not faulting him, and not calling him a choker. He just doesn't get picked for any majors pools / bets.



    Last year was last year, so those 6 tournaments where he didn't get the win are history, but it did lead Rory to play at the Sentry for the first time, a course he has not seen. So instead of calling it 0 for 7 in final groups, call it 0 for 1. The fact he played in the tournament shows he is taking the schedule/game with a different strategy. Maybe that leads to him being in better form for majors, maybe not.



    I really do not see him as that far off. There was another guy just like him until he broke through and got his first Masters...Phil...ahem...
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • gvogelgvogel  7983Members Posts: 7,983
    Joined:  #33
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    It's like he's a fragile, glass coffee table on Sundays.


    !
    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • gvogelgvogel  7983Members Posts: 7,983
    Joined:  #34
    mds5062 wrote:


    Its reasonable to assume at this point he has gone to a sports psychologist but his lack of confidence when something goes wrong is glaring. He clearly hasn't found the mental reset button when that happens so maybe its time for another caddie change. He went to his best friend for familiarity but I think he needs to find a very confident person that he can feed off of. Not an a****** but cocky enough that he can ride the line of being the supporting character but when needed, takes the reigns as the Alpha. Rory used to and still is an Alpha but maybe he has calmed over the years with age and likes not being the one in charge of everything. No evidence whatsoever for this on my part but not being a Type A personality myself, I know that when I play with my Type A friend or when we went out to the bars, they instilled confidence in me at times and maybe this is what Rory needs on the course.




    What he needs to do is get super p'eed off at a competitor, and decide to just bury the other guy.
    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • gvogelgvogel  7983Members Posts: 7,983
    Joined:  #35
    Gautama wrote:


    See, now we're talking about important social issues. Baggy pants are and always have been where it's at, they'll be back! Wouldn't mind seeing see a nice cuff from time to time too, lol.




    That guy was tailored.
    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct  27757Members Posts: 27,757
    Joined:  #36
    CasualLie wrote:


    There's no magical explanation, and the cure is simple...he has to want it. Clearly, in his interviews he stated he was not all about chasing wins at all costs. He looked/looks pretty comfortable with the big endorsement contracts, private jet, and enough game to "contend" pretty much every tournament. He likes his view of a well rounded life. I'm not faulting him, and not calling him a choker. He just doesn't get picked for any majors pools / bets.



    Last year was last year, so those 6 tournaments where he didn't get the win are history, but it did lead Rory to play at the Sentry for the first time, a course he has not seen. So instead of calling it 0 for 7 in final groups, call it 0 for 1. The fact he played in the tournament shows he is taking the schedule/game with a different strategy. Maybe that leads to him being in better form for majors, maybe not.



    I really do not see him as that far off. There was another guy just like him until he broke through and got his first Masters...Phil...ahem...




    "Wanting it" is a beginning, not a cure.



    He can want it and still not win. But, I agree that the starting point is getting his hunger to prove he is the best back. I remember an old interview he did and said that as he was growing up, he know he was really good. He didn't have the length yet but he waited for it to come and once he got it, he wasn't afraid of anyone.



    I think Rory had a Tiger like desire at one point to prove he was the best. He was probably underestimated a lot due to his stature and that drove him even more. But I think his motivation to beat everybody in his way was very high.



    Not sure if that's his mind set anymore. I don't question that he wants to win. But I wonder if he is in a mode where "it's ok" if he does not.
    Posted:
  • c7015c7015  2232Members Posts: 2,232
    Joined:  #37
    gvogel wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    It's like he's a fragile, glass coffee table on Sundays.


    !




    unless he is way out of it, in which case he is a buzz saw into a back door top 10
    Posted:
    TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood?  1467Members Posts: 1,467
    Joined:  #38

    Obee wrote:

    lowheel wrote:

    bscinstnct wrote:



    The clickbait incentive is too tempting for online publications.




    Nonetheless, while I knew Rory wasn't playing great, I did not know..



    "Rory has played in seven final pairings (or threesomes) in the past year, and he hasn’t captured even one of those titles."




    Yup his win at bayhill he was in the the 4th before last group i believe. it seems his course management leaves him at odd times. For a ball striker of his caliber youd think hes missing putts only in those final rounds but his whole game falls apart. he was 54th in final round scoring last year.If you take out his 64 at bay hill he falls to 122nd. That tells you alot about his mental game at this point in his career. As a reference point phil was 4th place in final round scoring this past season almost 2 shots better than rory as a 47 year old. The way rory drives it that should never ever happen




    Every time watch him (which, admittedly, isn't that often), I see him hitting wedges to 12 to 18 feet when guys who are dialed in are knocking them to 4 to 8 feet. I know what the tour averages are from 100 to 120 yards, but it still seems like he underachieves with his wedges, especially. Am I crazy?




    You are bang on Obee… Rory’s decline in ballstriking, particularly Approach play in recent years is the key and biggest cause for his decline in results. Last year Rory’s putting was virtually equal to his 2nd best ever putting year (2012) when he won 5 events including 1 major. Rory’s ballstriking performance between 2012 & 2018 are miles apart.



    2018

    • SG-TEE…#6 (+0.761)

    • SG-APP…#56 (+0.269)



    2012

    • SG-TEE…#2 (+1.071)

    • SG-APP…#2 (+1.002)




    Insert boiler plate stuff seen all over --> past performance is not indicative of future results.



    It's not his ballstriking. He could drop wedges on a flag repeatedly at the practice range. He knows how to hit the center of the face with accuracy...over and over. Something else is going on long before he steps up to the crucial wedge shot. What it is? Who knows???



    I would much rather be in his shoes knowing a few tweaks and I am back in the winning circle, majors included, vs someone like Rahm. Who do think will win a major first in that comparison?
    Posted:
  • Jacked_LoftJacked_Loft Steps Ahead  500Members Posts: 500
    Joined:  edited Jan 11, 2019 11:53am #39
    "It's all just part of the process."



    -Tiger Woods



    Any endevour that long-term only rewards performance levels of 110% will produce a huge number of flash-in-the-pans.
    Posted:
    WIMB:

    M5 Fuji Evo VI 569
    M5 3&5 Fuji Evo VI 661 
    P790 3I Nippon 950
    P770 4-GW Nippon 950
    MG 56° LB KBS REV
    Spider Tour BLK
    H2NO Carry
  • FergusonFerguson  5453Members Posts: 5,453
    Joined:  #40
    It could be the "weight" of problems at home.
    Posted:
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer  1699Members Posts: 1,699
    Joined:  #41
    He cant putt...... he'll change from his new putter in a couple months......guaranteed
    Posted:
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood?  1467Members Posts: 1,467
    Joined:  #42


    CasualLie:

    “Insert boiler plate stuff seen all over --> past performance is not indicative of future results.



    It's not his ballstriking. He could drop wedges on a flag repeatedly at the practice range. He knows how to hit the center of the face with accuracy...over and over. Something else is going on long before he steps up to the crucial wedge shot. What it is? Who knows???



    I would much rather be in his shoes knowing a few tweaks and I am back in the winning circle, majors included, vs someone like Rahm. Who do think will win a major first in that comparison?”

    ––––––––––––––––––



    I’m not saying it is “indicative of future results”. I’m just highlighting the facts/results of his Approach performance and the decline in those years. This isn’t my opinion, these are the objective facts. Whatever the reason, (mental, technical - I’m observing technical) the result of his Approach performance is the result.



    As for your last question, that’s tough one, I think both can and likely will win more majors. I would say Rory IF he can improve his poor Approach play. If not, then Rahm.




    More majors Rahm? He is still yet to win his first. As good as he is; likely he will not win any majors. That's the cruel reality of golf at the highest levels.



    Yes, I see what you are saying. The facts / stats of Rory are indisputable. I just feel like the lack of ballstriking label, in terms of a tour player, not to apply at anyone. They can all strike the ball very well, but sometimes "outside" factors creep in and undermine ability.



    I do believe you and I are very much in the same page.



    Cheers.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL  6583Members Posts: 6,583
    Joined:  edited Jan 11, 2019 10:53pm #43
    Very few people are capable of having hunger and fire after falling into crazy money. Guys like Tiger, Jordan are borderline psychos.They live through their achievements and are addicted to competition. Thats why someone like Phil despite his sheepish grins is an assassin in money games on tour. Phil has FU money like tiger does yet still wants it and is grinding like a 25 year old trying to keep his card. Some people simply get comfortable and dont like feeling that pressure all the time. If you matched Rorys game with tigers desire heck even Phils resiliency hed have 8-10 majors by the time he was 35. i really hope he finds that ruthlessness he once had. Special player who could do so much more despite streaky putting and subpar wedge game
    Posted:
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2094Members Posts: 2,094
    Joined:  #44
    Superbrit wrote:

    Gautama wrote:



    Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg




    In more important matters, I don't care what anyone says...wide legs and pleats were better than skinny flat fronts.




    Good god i hope your joking!



    Please don't tell me your still rocking the baggy turtle necks?




    Nike is releasing them again this year
    Posted:
  • ObeeObee  3980ClubWRX Posts: 3,980
    Joined:  #45
    Superbrit wrote:

    Gautama wrote:



    Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg




    In more important matters, I don't care what anyone says...wide legs and pleats were better than skinny flat fronts.




    Good god i hope your joking!



    Please don't tell me your still rocking the baggy turtle necks?




    Nike is releasing them again this year




    Pretty much every fashion that went away comes back again at some point…
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • GautamaGautama  822Members Posts: 822
    Joined:  #46
    Obee wrote:

    Superbrit wrote:

    Gautama wrote:



    Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg




    In more important matters, I don't care what anyone says...wide legs and pleats were better than skinny flat fronts.




    Good god i hope your joking!



    Please don't tell me your still rocking the baggy turtle necks?




    Nike is releasing them again this year




    Pretty much every fashion that went away comes back again at some point…




    My wife is a bit younger than I am, and I can remember clearly when I met her in about 2000 that she made fun of my tapered-leg jeans, so went about and bought all new stuff with good wide legs and a length that I all but stepped on when I walked. (A good investment apparently, as she did marry me eventually!) Anyway, we were at nordstrom last week getting me some new pants and the lovely young woman working there made a comment that my current pants were way to long and wide. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> The more things change....
    Posted:
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

    -Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • Pent08Pent08  1204Members Posts: 1,204
    Joined:  #47
    lowheel wrote:


    Very few people are capable of having hunger and fire after falling into crazy money. Guys like Tiger, Jordan are borderline psychos.They live through their achievements and are addicted to competition. Thats why someone like Phil despite his sheepish grins is an assassin in money games on tour. Phil has FU money like tiger does yet still wants it and is grinding like a 25 year old trying to keep his card. Some people simply get comfortable and dont like feeling that pressure all the time. If you matched Rorys game with tigers desire heck even Phils resiliency hed have 8-10 majors by the time he was 35. i really hope he finds that ruthlessness he once had. Special player who could do so much more despite streaky putting and subpar wedge game




    I didn't want to entertain this theory, but it definitely grows on me more each day. While some athletes might lose some of their intrinsic drive for performance, I'd have a tough time telling Rickie Fowler that his talent would materialize in a Major victory if only he cared about winning more than getting wealthy.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • LambLamb London 351Members Posts: 351
    Joined:  #48


    Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg





    Well....what now?



    Dunno we're still cashing big checks.




    Was this pic taken in the 80's?
    Posted:
  • youdamantigeryoudamantiger  446Members Posts: 446
    Joined:  #49
    Obee wrote:

    Superbrit wrote:

    Gautama wrote:



    Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg




    In more important matters, I don't care what anyone says...wide legs and pleats were better than skinny flat fronts.




    Good god i hope your joking!



    Please don't tell me your still rocking the baggy turtle necks?




    Nike is releasing them again this year




    Pretty much every fashion that went away comes back again at some point…




    We've reached a point in which wearing socks with sandals is considered cool. Therefore anything is possible.
    Posted:
  • rightslicerightslice  160Members Posts: 160
    Joined:  #50
    rory-mcilroy-s-cars.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1200&height=800&rnd=131539247390000000



    Could be this. Car and watch worth more than most starter homes. Lots of $ affects people differently. Not that he doesn't care but Maserati's, beach homes, and G-4's can make a kid feel like he's already done it all. Majors on top too.
    Posted:
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter  5675Members Posts: 5,675
    Joined:  #51
    Lamb wrote:



    Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg





    Well....what now?



    Dunno we're still cashing big checks.




    Was this pic taken in the 80's?




    2007 Walker Cup from the Horschel/ Fowler 2&1 win over Caldwell/McIlroy in a Sunday morning match.



    The winning US team at Royal County Down



    416418725_5566973905001_5566930315001-vs.jpg



    Good group, the GBI team won the career slam when Danny Willett won The Masters.
    Posted:
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • hazebronsohazebronso  342Members Posts: 342
    Joined:  edited Jan 12, 2019 3:18pm #52
    I firmly believe that Jordan Spieth's ascent to the top of the golfing world in 2015 is as much a factor as any in Rorys relatively weak play.

    Rory was tagged the new improved golfing prodigy following the Tiger era and he was going to lead this generation. But nobody saw a younger American prodigy in Jordan Spieth coming. Those majors Spieth won took something out of Rory on a mental level. I watched it happen.

    I actually believe Jordan is going through something similar. In sport nothing shatters the confidence quicker than being in the presence of somebody better than you. Jordans never feared Dustin, Rory, or Koepka. But somebody's return to golf might have shaken more than the TV ratings. Just saying
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy...  13111Members Posts: 13,111
    Joined:  #53
    Rory is not a bad pressure player because he is not feeling pressure since Royal Liverpool 2014...
    Posted:
  • gvogelgvogel  7983Members Posts: 7,983
    Joined:  #54
    imakaveli wrote:


    Rory is not a bad pressure player because he is not feeling pressure since Royal Liverpool 2014...




    Except that any time he thinks about Augusta, he feels immense pressure. He has scheduled this year to be ready for the second weekend in April.
    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • SullGolfSullGolf  9062Members Posts: 9,062
    Joined:  #55
    I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so here are his scoring averages by round in 2018:



    1st round: 24, 69.65

    2nd round: 67, 70.29

    3rd round: T1, 68.00 (tied with Tiger)

    4th round: T54, 70.00



    I could see those numbers supporting both sides of this argument, depending on how you view it before you saw those numbers. Maybe he doesn't play well under the pressure to make the cut, free flows on Saturday and lets his talent fly, then puts himself in contention and doesn't play well under that pressure. Or maybe Saturday is an outlier and he plays to his ability on Sunday. Or maybe this is just a weak data analysis that fits what the thread wants to hear. I'm not digging super deep in the stats here.
    Posted:
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome  996Members Posts: 996
    Joined:  #56

    mds5062 wrote:


    Its reasonable to assume at this point he has gone to a sports psychologist but his lack of confidence when something goes wrong is glaring. He clearly hasn't found the mental reset button when that happens so maybe its time for another caddie change. He went to his best friend for familiarity but I think he needs to find a very confident person that he can feed off of. Not an a****** but cocky enough that he can ride the line of being the supporting character but when needed, takes the reigns as the Alpha. Rory used to and still is an Alpha but maybe he has calmed over the years with age and likes not being the one in charge of everything. No evidence whatsoever for this on my part but not being a Type A personality myself, I know that when I play with my Type A friend or when we went out to the bars, they instilled confidence in me at times and maybe this is what Rory needs on the course.




    Don’t forget Rory got rid of his caddie BECAUSE he wanted to take charge and have more ownership on every level of his game on and off the field. Also, he loves being the alpha dog in the biggest events… I watched and followed him first hand at the Ryder Cup in France. If anything, I think he thrives on the attention and being fired up. Agree on him having a stronger character on the bag though.




    Rory fired his caddy because the caddy violated one of the three rules:

    Show up

    Keep up

    Shut up
    Posted:
7

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.