Why don't we see any 8802, Napa, Tess style putters?

manxytagmanxytag Members Posts: 522 ✭✭
edited Jan 9, 2019 4:37pm in Putters #1
Old school putter that's all about feel.

The guys on tours are the best putters in the world and can surely putt good with one, yet they are as rare as hens teeth.

Not talking about #9 style.

Comments

• manxytagmanxytag Members Posts: 522 ✭✭
    sorry was for putter forum
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,040 ClubWRX
    There's not much to look at... with todays designs offering much more to the eye and considering how much money these guys are playing for, why would they want to put themselves at a disadvantage? That's my thought at least... I have a white hot #8 and it can be tough to putt with when considering the Spider Tour is so easy to hit on line... Seeing many more mallets now and I think it's for that reason.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* Tensei blue CK 60
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT
    Titleist SM5 50/56/60
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV/Bridgestone BXS
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,306 ✭✭
    Because manufactures realized, once someone bought one of those, they don’t change putters again for 30 years. They won’t even change the grip.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • rufus manglerrufus mangler Members Posts: 1,666 ✭✭
    If you miss the sweet spot by a fraction, the ball doesn't go on it's intended line or travel the intended distance.

I love the look of a heel shafted blade (I've owned a few), but a 40 foot lag is just terrifying with one.
    TM 2016 M2 9.5º
    TM RBZ 17 HL3º
    TM FCT Rescue 21º
    Srixon Z745 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey, 52.08, 56.14, 60v
    Cleveland Huntington Beach 11
    Srixon ZStar
    Hdcp 7
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,235 ✭✭

If you miss the sweet spot by a fraction, the ball doesn't go on it's intended line or travel the intended distance.

I love the look of a heel shafted blade (I've owned a few), but a 40 foot lag is just terrifying with one.

I find the opposite, especially with long lag putts. I use an old Palmer AP30r. It's as unforgiving as it comes, but I lag the ball better with it than anything, and I've tried plenty over the past 25 years. Just a feel thing I suppose?

The sweet spot is definitely tiny, but I dont find it hard to start the ball on my intended line. Slight mishits do typically just come up a little weak/short which can be frustrating though
    USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 12,017 ✭✭
    Grew up using 8802 and 8813 and own a SC Napa ... I'm better w heavier heads, heel toe weighting and flow necks

And as a poster above said, forgiveness on lags is easier ... ymmv ... as it does with Dewey
    Ping G400 LST 10.6* Oban Revenge 65x
    Pang G400 3w 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 55x
    Pong G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Callaway GBB 5w 19* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob ClubWRX Posts: 980 ClubWRX
    Yep, as stated above. I would never use a mallet - ugly critters - but definitely a lot more forgiving than a blade. Omar Uresti is the only real man out there! Ha ha :-)

Rob
  • CTSpinDoctorCTSpinDoctor Members Posts: 522
    I can only use a Napa style putter. I can't seem to make any putts go online with anything other that heel shafted bladed putters.
    Ping G400 Lst 10* Tensei Pro Orange 60tx
    Ping G400 17.5* Evenflow Blue 75 S
    Titleist 818 4H Evenflow Blue 85 S
    Titleist 718 CB 5-7 Kbs Tour 120 S
    Titleist 718 MB 8-P Kybs Tour 120 S
    Titleist Sm7 52f s300
    Titleist Sm7 56m s300
    Taylormade HI Toe 60 Kbs Hi Rev S
    Machine M8 No.2c
    Looking for a 14th club. Possibly a 64
    ProV1
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,303 ✭✭

With an 8802 style putter, I find the slippery short putts more terrifying. Lag putts I find easier with 8802-type putters (with big-headed mallets, I get scared about scuffing the sole before I hit the ball).

What I have found is that I am a terrible putter regardless of the model. So I've got that going for me. Which is not nice.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • bazinozbazinoz Members Posts: 499 ✭✭
    IMG-2143.jpg

Oh sorry. You meant "why don't we see them on tour?"

I thought you just wanted to see some 8802's and happy to oblige image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • No GimmesNo Gimmes Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 6:21am #12
    bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

I thought you just wanted to see some 8802's and happy to oblige image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Stop it 😩
    bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

wow, which is your favourite?
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,463 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 9:04am #14
    Higher MOI mallets are becoming all the rage. They're much easier to swing and hit consistently for the masses than 8802/Napa style putters.

From a sales and marketing perspective, there's a certain amount of the classic look of that must be maintained in order for 8802 style (heck, even Anser styles is bit lesser extent) to be accepted by those that use them. You can't change this classic look up too much or your (tiny) customer base will flee. Imagine a Napa with multiple sight lines, a face insert, pop through flange, and wings like a Futura 6M or a TM Spider.

The high MOI mallet crowd is much more open to change. A lot of the higher MOI mallets on the market are downright ugly. And more and more people are accepting a lack of aesthetics to allow for more technology.

The more tweaking and tech allows this modern release cycle of new "improved" putter lines to roll out each and every year.
    manxytag wrote:

bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

Gee, bit like asking which is my favourite child? 😊

I’ve just added a Rife Island Series which is stunning. The colours are amazing. Recent pics in the putter **** thread.

Favourite for looks are the blacks with no top lines , The 1995 Napa, Odyssey Black Series Tour #8 and a Walter Hagen WH003 by Tad Moore. I also have a black Wilson 8882 which I like despite the white top line.

For feel/play I like the Napa, the Old Master W802’s and Spalding TPM #7. Some of the old 8802 styles are very light but beautiful to play with. Great feel when you are on form and rolling them well.

Love these putters, although I do also play with a lot of Anser style blades. Got a fair few of them too. No mallets in my hoard.

• rufus manglerrufus mangler Members Posts: 1,666 ✭✭
    bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

Why? Because you have all of them! Ha
    TM 2016 M2 9.5º
    TM RBZ 17 HL3º
    TM FCT Rescue 21º
    Srixon Z745 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey, 52.08, 56.14, 60v
    Cleveland Huntington Beach 11
    Srixon ZStar
    Hdcp 7
    bazinoz wrote:

manxytag wrote:

bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

Gee, bit like asking which is my favourite child? 😊

I’ve just added a Rife Island Series which is stunning. The colours are amazing. Recent pics in the putter **** thread.

Favourite for looks are the blacks with no top lines , The 1995 Napa, Odyssey Black Series Tour #8 and a Walter Hagen WH003 by Tad Moore. I also have a black Wilson 8882 which I like despite the white top line.

For feel/play I like the Napa, the Old Master W802’s and Spalding TPM #7. Some of the old 8802 styles are very light but beautiful to play with. Great feel when you are on form and rolling them well.

Love these putters, although I do also play with a lot of Anser style blades. Got a fair few of them too. No mallets in my hoard.

Typically the ones I like the look off I can't afford or even find.

So my choices are the new 8802, Ping Tess or Black Series.

All about feel for me, any suggestions?
    edited Jan 11, 2019 7:22am #18
    manxytag wrote:

"Feel" is a very individual thing I reckon. What I find feels great, you might hate, someone else thinks "Meh".

Of the ones you mention, I don't get on much with my newer Wilson Staff 8802. Not sure why. It's quite heavy, maybe that's it.

I've never hit a Tess, still on the lookout. I do like the look of the Sigma G Tess.

The Odyssey Black series I love the feel of. I've had a couple and all feel nice off the face.

Old Master W802 is a great putter imho. I've got 2. Cheap as, but also pretty hard to find.

I had a Yes! Sophia that was a great feel. But it has a large sight line on the back which I just didn't get along with the look of.

Spalding TPM 7 and MacGregor Ironmaster also lovely feeling (to me). Got a MacGregor VIP as well which is nice and soft. They make good putters.

Do what I do, any you come across, just buy them all and try them out image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Then sell the ones you don't want. Wait....I don't do that....
  • rusty380rusty380 Members Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 8:01am #19
    I wish Mickelson would start using one and put the No. 9 away.

I remember around 2010-2012 when he used the Odyssey White Hot XG Blade, I could watch him putt all day.

I don't use it on the course these days but I can't see me ever parting with my old Oddyssey No.8 unfortunately the Metal X variant and not the Black Series tour.

I love everything about this putter and would probably still use it if it had the milled face.

I
    I play an old Arnold Palmer AP30r. I have two, one with a sightline, one without. I prefer without

I've been toying with the idea of having a custom putter builder make a milled replica for me. Maybe in carbon steel. Whaddya guys think? Who would you recommend for this project?

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,580 ✭✭
    John Daly and James Driscoll are the only two tour guys I can think of that have played them recently.
    PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭
    I think most tour players are getting fitted and basing their decisions on statistics vs feel and beauty since they have so much at stake.

Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
    bazinoz wrote:

manxytag wrote:

"Feel" is a very individual thing I reckon. What I find feels great, you might hate, someone else thinks "Meh".

Of the ones you mention, I don't get on much with my newer Wilson Staff 8802. Not sure why. It's quite heavy, maybe that's it.

I've never hit a Tess, still on the lookout. I do like the look of the Sigma G Tess.

The Odyssey Black series I love the feel of. I've had a couple and all feel nice off the face.

Old Master W802 is a great putter imho. I've got 2. Cheap as, but also pretty hard to find.

I had a Yes! Sophia that was a great feel. But it has a large sight line on the back which I just didn't get along with the look of.

Spalding TPM 7 and MacGregor Ironmaster also lovely feeling (to me). Got a MacGregor VIP as well which is nice and soft. They make good putters.

Do what I do, any you come across, just buy them all and try them out image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Then sell the ones you don't want. Wait....I don't do that....

going for a black series. the rest cost a bomb or unavailable in the UK
    BMC wrote:

John Daly and James Driscoll are the only two tour guys I can think of that have played them recently.

Omar Uresti still uses a Cameron Napa. :-)

Rob
    dpb5031 wrote:

I play an old Arnold Palmer AP30r. I have two, one with a sightline, one without. I prefer without

I've been toying with the idea of having a custom putter builder make a milled replica for me. Maybe in carbon steel. Whaddya guys think? Who would you recommend for this project?

You are in the States right? For the kind of putter you want to replicate, I would go straight to David Mills (TP Mills). Failing that, Lamont Mann or Byron Morgan or Gene Nead.

Good luck. :-)

Rob
    Rob McHugh wrote:

dpb5031 wrote:

You are in the States right? For the kind of putter you want to replicate, I would go straight to David Mills (TP Mills). Failing that, Lamont Mann or Byron Morgan or Gene Nead.

Good luck. :-)

Rob

Thanks Rob!

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • DrJACOBDrJACOB Members Posts: 173 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 12:28pm #27
    Rob McHugh wrote:

BMC wrote:

Omar Uresti still uses a Cameron Napa. :-)

Rob

I seen Big John Daly rolling an 8802 style putter well last month in the Father Son Challenge (first seen at :29)

TM M1 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
    Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
    Titlesit 910H 19*
    Miura Bades 4-PW
    Miura Wedges 51,55,59
    Callaway PM 64
    BB2 or at least one of my 8802 style putters
  • bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

• Is that a Cobra Dick de la Cruz in there? I game and love the milled model 88, almost no one has ever heard of them.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,683 ClubWRX
    I like that style on fast geeens where you can just get it started. But on our typically slower greens it just feels like to have to “hit” it too hard.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Is that a Cobra Dick de la Cruz in there? I game and love the milled model 88, almost no one has ever heard of them.

There's 2x Cobra's in there Rev.

A CNC Classic (4th from top, brownish finish with Cobra on back of the top line). I gun-blued it myself and it's mellowed to that color.

And a Blade 001 (one of the steel/satin finish ones).

Both nice putters, but I love the CNC Milled Classic. Probably because it was a wreck when I picked it up and I put a lot of hours into it. I did a thread about it somewhere back in the mists.