How to focus when putting

vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHTMembers Posts: 1,916 ✭✭
I consider myself a good putter (streaky at times).

I have been really focusing on working on my putting and just trying to refine technique before the next season comes up.

I tried a drill where you would stroke the ball then stare down at where the ball was for a few seconds (to keep the head/neck quiet)

When doing this, I found that this was really throwing me off. Like my eyes had a hard time focusing throwing my sense of feel and direction off. Then I realized I wasn't really sure what I was focusing on my normal putting stroke. This might sound weird but I have a hard time focusing on the ball? I've read tried focusing on a dimple on the ball that threw me off. Also when focusing on that single spot I felt like the stroke did not "look" right based on my peripheral vision so that threw me off as well.

I tried lining up the logo/line it seems to help a little.

Maybe I am overthinking it and it's just me doing something different and it feeling uncomfortable. Or I am being too technical

I haven't taken this to the course but I usually try not focus on technique anyways when playing (line, speed and feel for me)

Just wondering if others noticed this when practicing technique or doing drills. What have you done about it, etc etc

Thanks!
Cobra LTD PRO 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60X
Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
#vietnameeh

Comments

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,257 ✭✭
    vietnameeh wrote:

I consider myself a good putter (streaky at times).

I have been really focusing on working on my putting and just trying to refine technique before the next season comes up.

I tried a drill where you would stroke the ball then stare down at where the ball was for a few seconds (to keep the head/neck quiet)

When doing this, I found that this was really throwing me off. Like my eyes had a hard time focusing throwing my sense of feel and direction off. Then I realized I wasn't really sure what I was focusing on my normal putting stroke. This might sound weird but I have a hard time focusing on the ball? I've read tried focusing on a dimple on the ball that threw me off. Also when focusing on that single spot I felt like the stroke did not "look" right based on my peripheral vision so that threw me off as well.

I tried lining up the logo/line it seems to help a little.

Maybe I am overthinking it and it's just me doing something different and it feeling uncomfortable. Or I am being too technical

I haven't taken this to the course but I usually try not focus on technique anyways when playing (line, speed and feel for me)

Just wondering if others noticed this when practicing technique or doing drills. What have you done about it, etc etc

Thanks!

So you try a new drill, and it doesn't work for you right away, and causes you to feel a little uncomfortable. Well, you ARE doing something different, so it SHOULD feel different. If it feels the same, comfortable, you're probably not changing anything. That part shouldn't concern you too badly.

Aside from the discomfort, did you hit putts generally more on line? If so, its probably worth putting up with discomfort as you become accustomed to the change. If not, you might try something different. Not every drill will be effective for every player.

Another question, why are you doing this specific drill? Do you know you have a problem with moving your head? If so, check some other drills instead. Putt looking at the hole, or at a spot (a coin maybe) a foot or two in front of the ball. You can probably find dozens of drills to help you stay still. If movement isn't a problem for you, stop trying to fix it.
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT Members Posts: 1,916 ✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

So you try a new drill, and it doesn't work for you right away, and causes you to feel a little uncomfortable. Well, you ARE doing something different, so it SHOULD feel different. If it feels the same, comfortable, you're probably not changing anything. That part shouldn't concern you too badly.

Aside from the discomfort, did you hit putts generally more on line? If so, its probably worth putting up with discomfort as you become accustomed to the change. If not, you might try something different. Not every drill will be effective for every player.

Another question, why are you doing this specific drill? Do you know you have a problem with moving your head? If so, check some other drills instead. Putt looking at the hole, or at a spot (a coin maybe) a foot or two in front of the ball. You can probably find dozens of drills to help you stay still. If movement isn't a problem for you, stop trying to fix it.

The putts were fine. however the stroke kind of sucked as I felt like my feel was off. but the stroke can be adjusted back once I get comfortable. I am not ditching the drill, I think it just brought up awareness for me.

I'm going to try ahead of the ball next time, as I think that might be more inline with I do already (focusing on start line)

Thanks!
    Cobra LTD PRO 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60X
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭
    Staring at where the ball was until after it's long gone works wonders for me and always has done. My mate has started doing it now because he's realised just how much it helps. Doing that makes putting from within a couple of yards **** near infallible. It doesn't make any difference from further out but I suppose beyond a couple of yards picking the correct starting line becomes a bigger problem.

The phrase I repeat to myself is one of my favourites: Don't look up until you hear it drop into the hole.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 5,003 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 7:29pm #5
    When i putt, i make a back stroke looking at the ball, then as i begin my forward stroke, i rotate my head to look my target (not the hole). On short putts i just look at my target

I focus on long my putt is and then make a stroke for that distance
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • baudibaudi Members Posts: 648 ✭✭
    I like the opposite. After the ball is struck it makes sense to rotate the head along the initial ball line and watch how the ball rolls.
  • ScratchyDawgScratchyDawg Members Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Try putting with your eyes closed.
    "Give up control to gain control" - George Knudson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file