Stiff to xstiff

ckates7ckates7 Members Posts: 395 ✭✭
Question for you guys. I have a raw/uncut Rogue 130 60g tour stiff, and everything I’ve played has been xstiff and around 70-75g. I know you obviously can’t change the weight, but would you guys recommend a way to try to even get it close to xstiff?

Comments

• extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 867 ✭✭
    read the pinned thread on "guys asking for help with picking a shaft."

Stepping may work. 70-130 big jump, hard to say.

Really good read, answers a lot.
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    g400 15.5* | tensei white 80tx
    p790 3i | steelfiber 95x
    p790 4i | steelfiber 110x
    p770 5-pw | kbs tour flt 130x
    sm6 52*8, 56*8, 60*4 | s400 ti 132x
    columbus
    tour velvet | chrome soft

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,279 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 4:25am #3
    ckates7 wrote:

Question for you guys. I have a raw/uncut Rogue 130 60g tour stiff, and everything I’ve played has been xstiff and around 70-75g. I know you obviously can’t change the weight, but would you guys recommend a way to try to even get it close to xstiff?

Have you even hit it yet? There is no standard for flex so there is a lot more to judging a shaft than reading the flex off of a label. So whether or not it will feel too soft will depend a lot on which particular x-flex shafts you've been playing, your swing characteristics, your particular sensitivities, and your preferences for feel. The rogues do tend to be on the stiffer side of most 'stiff' shafts and I believe the TS also has a lower torque which also helps it feel a bit stiffer.

So I'd suggest you just try it out straight in before making any decisions (leave some extra room in length at the butt end and test it choked up). If it feels fine, then your great and can go back and butt cut to the desired length). If it feels a little soft, tipping (1"-1.5") can stiffen it up a little bit and possibly get it to work for you BUT that's not going to change it a full flex. So if it's really loose untipped, you'd be better off it selling to buy an x-stiff. That's an expensive shaft and if you tip it and it doesn't work, you'll potentially reduce the resale value significantly.

And BTW if the lighter shaft weight turns out to be an issue, you can try

1) adjusting the swing weight a little heavier. For some people, they can use SW to help compensate for a shaft weight that's too light (to some degree at least).

2) Try adding a butt weight (tour loc pro, etc..) to increase static weight. May also need to play with head weight as well to adjust the balance - but do it at the range with some lead tape, not with a swing weight scale.