New Irons? Club Ho's help.

Kye123Kye123 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭
Looking for a new set of irons with a few certain requirements.

Currently have AP2 716 but they are not custom fit, having never been custom fit I'm looking for something that are still playable for the breezy U.K conditions but still have some amount of forgiveness. Seven iron distance is around 165 carry.

Thanks

Wrx'ers

Comments

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,847 ✭✭
    Well. Based on that information, just grab any iron that suits your eye if you feel you want to change from the AP2 image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. Check out the Wilson FG V series irons
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,102 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 6:18pm #3
    These guys typically have some good options and potential deals: http://www.ebaystore.../golfclubs4cash

If you want new, they're all good, whatever suits your eye + shaft = job done: i210, z785, JPX919T or F would be where my choice would lie and did image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Kye123Kye123 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭
    duffer987 wrote:

These guys typically have some good options and potential deals: http://www.ebaystore.../golfclubs4cash

If you want new, they're all good, whatever suits your eye + shaft = job done: i210, z785, JPX919T or F would be where my choice would lie and did image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

What did you go for? Tour or forged? I was thinking about the Z 585 but I'm not sure if they'd be to far away from the AP2
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,102 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 6:46pm #5
    I got 919T 6-PW and 919F 5-6. Ya I doubled up on the 6 irons, as unsure where to split.

z5s are a pretty hefty iron. I have a z545 4I I like to use now and again, definitely good for hitting liner approaches on links courses. I have unshafted z745 heads that will undoubtedly be used again. Personally I don't think anyone who's half decent should need anything more forgiving than those. If a day comes when I think a z745 7 iron is too much club I'll just quit image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

GLWS.
    duffer987 wrote:

I got 919T 6-PW and 919F 5-6. Ya I doubled up on the 6 irons, as unsure where to split.

z5s are a pretty hefty iron. I have a z545 4I I like to use now and again, definitely good for hitting liner approaches on links courses. I have unshafted z745 heads that will undoubtedly be used again. Personally I don't think anyone who's half decent should need anything more forgiving than those. If a day comes when I think a z745 7 iron is too much club I'll just quit image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

GLWS.

Is there much between the tour and the forged 919?
    edited Jan 10, 2019 6:57pm #7
    Kye123 wrote:

duffer987 wrote:

GLWS.

Is there much between the tour and the forged 919?

IDK TBH, not hit the Forged yet.

I previously had 900T 5-PW and just felt they weren't as forgiving as my S55s - which are my benchmark for, yeah these clubs are awesome and don't cost me strokes barometer.

So to mitigate I went with a couple Fs to go with the Ts, time will tell.

I got a smoking good deal on them with all the eBay codes over the hols and the no upcharge Recoils sealed the deal for me.

Edit: Active thread here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1711106-jpx-forged-919-and-919-tour-long-term-review/
  • Hester65Hester65 Members Posts: 604 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 9:56pm #8
    I bought a set of titleist 735 cm on eBay for like $80-$100 about 4 months ago. I recommend you do that. Find some sweet old clubs and shoot the same score you are shooting right now.
    There's nothing in the rule book that says you can't play drunk.
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
    Hester65 wrote:

I bought a set of titleist 735 cm on eBay for like $80-$100 about 4 months ago. I recommend you do that. Find some sweet old clubs and shoot the same score you are shooting right now.

Accurate. Just bought an old set of Mizzy MP32 and put both those and my custom fit Pings in my bag for a round. Played a ball with each. Shot the same score.
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Ping iBlade 4-PW DGS300
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D DGS200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • andrieddleandrieddle Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    pick your medicine from Mizuno line up
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭
    Kye123 wrote:

Currently have AP2 716 but they are not custom fit, having never been custom fit I'm looking for something that are still playable for the breezy U.K conditions but still have some amount of forgiveness. Seven iron distance is around 165 carry.

Thanks

Wrx'ers

Durham university?

Personally I'd consider the lesser known club companies.

I've had enough of the bullxxxx pedalled by the 'big boys'.

Benross and Lynx make some fantastic equipment at a fraction of the price.

Orka, a UK company also delivers top, top gear.

Hireko and Wishon.

Look at NordicaGolf in Sweden who build great stuff and free delivery into the UK

I've a set of DYNACRAFT Prophet Muscle blades from them and they're outperforming AP3 and Ping Irons.

The world's your golfing oyster.

I’d probably stay more mainstream, I’m leaning towards 919 forged if I’m honest, I’d like to be playing a little better and I’d be all over the titlest MB’s
    Double Gee wrote:

Kye123 wrote:

Thanks

Wrx'ers

Durham university?

Personally I'd consider the lesser known club companies.

I've had enough of the bullxxxx pedalled by the 'big boys'.

Benross and Lynx make some fantastic equipment at a fraction of the price.

Orka, a UK company also delivers top, top gear.

Hireko and Wishon.

Look at NordicaGolf in Sweden who build great stuff and free delivery into the UK

I've a set of DYNACRAFT Prophet Muscle blades from them and they're outperforming AP3 and Ping Irons.

The world's your golfing oyster.

And yeah i'm at Durham, Do you know of it?
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭
    Kingcat990 wrote:

Well. Based on that information, just grab any iron that suits your eye if you feel you want to change from the AP2 image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. Check out the Wilson FG V series irons
    people think irons are so different in same category......they arent

It's probably "as good as it gets" with what you already have....custom fit is a very broad term which can mean pretty much nothing (20 min on matt with Joe schmo)to spending weeks and weeks testing
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
    Kye123 wrote:

I'd probably stay more mainstream, I'm leaning towards 919 forged if I'm honest, I'd like to be playing a little better and I'd be all over the titlest MB's

If you're going that recent I'd definitely consider an 8, 9, PW at least in the 919T. High lofted bladed clubs are not at all hard to hit and you'll probably like them better for attacking greens. Just my 2c. Now when you're standing 190 out and need to carry a bunker that's when I get a little shaky with a 5i blade in my hands.
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Ping iBlade 4-PW DGS300
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D DGS200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • lefty74pghlefty74pgh Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,549 ✭✭
    I had AP2 716 last year. I liked the clubs and performance, but got fitted with the wrong shafts. I moved onto the 900F This past year, but never got comfortable with the PX LZ shaft.

This past week I decided to do a fitting at Club Champion. I got the best results from the Z585.