BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,740 mod
edited Feb 4, 2019 6:34pm in Instruction & Academy #1
Original title => "Still can't post and it's driving me crazy!"

Cleveland, Nike, Taylormade, Titleist, Vessel
Handicap:  3
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,740 mod
    Snowed today but next time out I'll try an exaggerated hip bump to see if that takes care of slop in lead leg.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,473 ✭✭
    ^^ I'm not an instructor but I would not be surprised if that actually made it worse.
    Krt22 wrote:

^^ I'm not an instructor but I would not be surprised if that actually made it worse.

Who knows but I'll try and report back when possible.
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,667 ✭✭
    Can you be more specific about what fault you're trying to fix?
    edited Jan 11, 2019 2:07pm #6

Can you be more specific about what fault you're trying to fix?

I'd like to see my left leg firmer/straight at impact - my swing frame below is well past impact.

• copperjeffcopperjeff Members Posts: 919 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 2:13pm #7
    Your left leg not being straight/firm at impact is a result of the way you swing.

Firing your hips laterally in an effort to take that slack out will most likely end up making you hit the ball far worse.

You may need a different understanding of how to swing to make a change like you want. Big undertaking. You want to change your swing because of ball flight issues not because of video stills.

Edit: added last paragraph.
    Golfing Ginger
    So glad I picked an outside activity...
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Sponsors Posts: 18,230 ✭✭
    Left shoulder needs to stay down longer....or your tail bone needs to rotate away from the target sooner....or your upper body needs to tilt later...etc.

Left shoulder needs to stay down longer....or your tail bone needs to rotate away from the target sooner....or your upper body needs to tilt later...etc.

Appreciate help/advice. It's a 40 year swing move that I'm just getting around to fixing, lol!
    copperjeff wrote:

Your left leg not being straight/firm at impact is a result of the way you swing.

Firing your hips laterally in an effort to take that slack out will most likely end up making you hit the ball far worse.

You may need a different understanding of how to swing to make a change like you want. Big undertaking. You want to change your swing because of ball flight issues not because of video stills.

Edit: added last paragraph.

For sure!
  • copperjeffcopperjeff Members Posts: 919 ✭✭

Totally agree with this.

@buzzkill - I can't read your mind, but if your swing concept involves firing the hips to start downswing, or trying to swing from the inside, or swing to right field, or come into the ball shallow, or help the ball into the air, you may have difficulty incorporating Monte's advice and reconciling it into your swing.

Curious, what if any swing thoughts/concepts do you have, or in other words what are you trying to do in your swing now?
    Golfing Ginger
    So glad I picked an outside activity...
    edited Jan 11, 2019 2:57pm #12
    I was born with a draw and definitely don't have no problem approaching the ball from the inside. My swing needs tweaked because I have more than my fair share of shanks when they appear - I consider my current swing flawed.
    edited Jan 31, 2019 5:32pm #13
    Buzzkill wrote:

I was born with a draw and definitely don't have no problem approaching the ball from the inside. My swing needs tweaked because I have more than my fair share of shanks when they appear - I consider my current swing flawed.

Vid below above swing sequence (don't know how to embed, sorry):

Removed below:

http://youtu.be/RzmM5S0hahg
    edited Jan 11, 2019 3:10pm #14
    post-40610-0-18438700-1547233553.jpeg

Listen to Monte. Look at how high your left shoulder is (ie how much right side tilt you have) vs this guy at P5 and P6. Being able to post is a product of having sufficient pressure into the lead foot and your chest forward enough, so you can use the ground to extend up. You can't do that with how much tilt you have coming into impact otherwise you'd hit the ball even worse. I had the same problem, it's tough one to shake since all of the fixes FEEL OTT or that you will stub the club right into the ground, but they are not. Monte, the AMG guys, Tyler Ferrel, Dan C, etc all have similar material on it, but it takes some time to get over the mental block of swinging so differently.
    Krt22 wrote:

Listen to Monte. Look at how high your left shoulder is (ie how much right side tilt you have) vs this guy at P5 and P6. Being able to post is a product of having sufficient pressure into the lead foot and your chest forward enough, so you can use the ground to extend up. You can't do that with how much tilt you have coming into impact otherwise you'd hit the ball even worse. I had the same problem, it's tough one to shake since all of the fixes FEEL OTT or that you will stub the club right into the ground, but they are not. Monte, the AMG guys, Tyler Ferrel, Dan C, etc all have similar material on it, but it takes some time to get over the mental block of swinging so differently.

Getting a lower left shoulder sounds/feels difficult for me - definitely feels like fat city.
    edited Jan 11, 2019 3:29pm #16
    I 100% assure you it's just a feel, but you won't see any real change until you get over it. What feels good for you now isn't producing the results you want, so something has to give =)
  • NikeGolferTXNikeGolferTX Members Posts: 326 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 3:46pm #17
    Buzzkill wrote:

Krt22 wrote:

Getting a lower left shoulder sounds/feels difficult for me - definitely feels like fat city.
    It's not lower because you actively lower it. Rather it's going to be lower because you're now going to raise it later in the swing.
    Thanks for all the help so far folks!
  • rkodaveyrkodavey Members Posts: 109 ✭✭

I've heard a few instructors give the advice of keeping the left shoulder down longer. Can you explain what the purpose of that move is? What faults does it help mitigate? Thank you Monte for all the time you spend helping us hackers out on this forum.
  • ShotShot Banned Posts: 27
    Interesting, following. Many fine ball strikers had "slop", or a flexed knee, at, and beyond, impact. Pulling off the ball to start the backswing instead of staying where you are and going down with the club to start it back would be a good first piece to examine.
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 822 ✭✭
    Put your hat on backwards, put a tee behind your ear, move the change from your regular pocket to the the other. Now hit the ball. Now that’s about as good and consistent advice as you will get here�
  • glkglk send it in jerome Members Posts: 3,319 ✭✭
    rkodavey wrote:

I've heard a few instructors give the advice of keeping the left shoulder down longer. Can you explain what the purpose of that move is? What faults does it help mitigate? Thank you Monte for all the time you spend helping us hackers out on this forum.

Here's a Monte instagram on the move with a brief summary of some benefits.

Golfer shot reaction NSFW. lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgTyhevha2K/
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,268 ✭✭
    Heres a good drill:

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
    Thanks for the above links!
    Here is a slightly more verbose explanation, but it really resonated with me (along with Monte's concise approach). He mentions the "long flat spot" which is one of the key talking point's in Tyler Ferrell's book.

• sethdavidsdadsethdavidsdad Members Posts: 1,797 ✭✭
    P5 and P5.5 tell the story IMO, your right side bends to help shallow, like Monte says making your left shoulder come up. At P5 You have that angle too tight, I assume trying to create lag, which you have way too much of. Look at Rory or Adam Scott notice the angle in the club and left arm of you compared them at P5. From the top of the swing to P5 you actually gain lag instead of letting the clubhead travel around the arc.
    Epic 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X
    TM Mini driver 14*
    Rogue 5 Wood Diamana D+ X
    Mizuno MP18's 4-5SC, 6-PW MB
    Yes Callie
    Vokeys SM6 52,56,60
    WITB Link

P5 and P5.5 tell the story IMO, your right side bends to help shallow, like Monte says making your left shoulder come up. At P5 You have that angle too tight, I assume trying to create lag, which you have way too much of. Look at Rory or Adam Scott notice the angle in the club and left arm of you compared them at P5. From the top of the swing to P5 you actually gain lag instead of letting the clubhead travel around the arc.

When the snow melts in a day or two, I'll work on getting my left shoulder down and post results. Don't have any answer for my lag, I'm not trying to create it - it's just my swing of 40 plus years.
  • FullOfBrushManFullOfBrushMan Members Posts: 666 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 9:39am #28
    Buzzkill wrote:

When the snow melts in a day or two, I'll work on getting my left shoulder down and post results. Don't have any answer for my lag, I'm not trying to create it - it's just my swing of 40 plus years.

For myself it's a better/easier feel for your chest & belly button move together during the downswing as they are always to be pointing downward to the ground during the downswing. That's my feel. It's next to impossible to ballerina, EElectric Slide, non-posting, etc.

You aren't even close to as bad as I was with the slide & left shoulder up.
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,667 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 7:24am #29
    I think you're trying to fix something that isn't broken. I'd like to see some video, but the positions in the stills aren't all that bad. If you're suddenly shanking from that move, I'd say you've lost your ground force and are pulling down with your shoulder. Some of the fixes suggested here have been misinterpreted and could actually make the problem worse. With a 40-year golfer, I wouldn't address this with mechanical changes. At this point you're swing is your swing. Your problem is a tempo and tension issue.

Buzzkill wrote:

For myself it's a better/easier feel for your chest & belly button move together during the downswing as they are always to be pointing downward to the ground during the downswing. That's my feel. It's next to impossible to ballerina, EElectric Slide, non-posting, etc.

You aren't even close to as bad as I was with the slide & left shoulder up.

Love it!

I think you're trying to fix something that isn't broken. I'd like to see some video, but the positions in the stills aren't all that bad. If you're suddenly shanking from that move, I'd say you've lost your ground force and are pulling down with your shoulder. Some of the fixes suggested here have been misinterpreted and could actually make the problem worse. With a 40-year golfer, I wouldn't address this with mechanical changes. At this point you're swing is your swing. Your problem is a tempo and tension issue.

Agree change will take time and effort!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file