Equipment prices are insane this year!

Comments

• Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,215 ✭✭
    In addition to inflation we also need to keep in mind income increases. I make way more money than I did 20yrs ago. Its way easier for me to buy a $700 driver(if I wanted to, which I don't) today than it was for me to buy a GBB for $500 in 1995.
    Ping G400 10.5°/Xcaliber SL r flex
    Callaway Heavenwood Xcaliber SL r flex
    Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 28°/Xcaliber HY r flex
    Ping I200 5-G/CFS70 r flex
    Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
    Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06

The general marketing strategy is to try to get more money out of the remaining few people who have it, not to find new buyers.

That's probably the most accurate statement in this thread.

Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • TinCuppingTinCupping Members Posts: 855
    Im by no means the smartest person but I know how to combat high prices.................. dont pay em.
    Ping G400 9.0 Tour 75X
    Ping G400 3W Tour 75X
    Ping G400 3H Tour 85X
    Ping G400 4-UW AWT 2.0X
    Ping Eye 2 Gorge S,L DG Spinner
    Ping 50th Anniversary Anser
    Titleist Pro V1
  • justwellsyjustwellsy Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    Of all the new irons I've tested, not one is worthy to knock my MP-64s out of the bag. I don't think players irons have improved enough over the last 10 years to justify spending over $1,000 on a new set. However, I feel the game improvement irons have gotten SO LONG that it's ridiculous. There's not a cold day in **** where I'd play p790s because they simply go too far and have too little feel. Take my favorite club for example, the 8-iron. With my current 8-iron I fly the ball 175-180 in "normal" conditions (I live at sea level and I'm talking about 75 degrees F or so). With a P790 8-iron of the same length with the same shaft I was flying the ball 190 to 195 yards. I don't think anyone "needs" to hit an 8-iron that far and there was definitely a sacrifice in feel and workability.

In short, I think you can wait even longer to upgrade your irons.. unless you are looking for stupid distance. For Woods, the last release cycle seems to be fairly similar to the newest for most models so save your money. I think most of club fitting is about finding what's comfortable and gives you confidence in your game. Do you need an extra 5 yards off the tee? I don't think most people do.
    Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
    Mizuno MP-64 3-PW (DG X-100)
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    Ball: Apply for position
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 561 ✭✭

The general marketing strategy is to try to get more money out of the remaining few people who have it, not to find new buyers.
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 943 ✭✭
    burge wrote:

It’s not the cost of irons and drivers that shock me, it’s the cost of the **** putters that is outrageous. Considering that there has been very little R&D change to putters, and that it does not require a premium shaft, there is no reason that non-custom putters should be > $200. I get that it is the most used club in the bag, but they just keep rebranding the same designs over and over each year ... change black to red and jack up the price based on the “new visual and alignment help” or tweak the firmness of an insert and charge more for a “pro” model of the same **** clubhead.
    burge wrote:

It’s not the cost of irons and drivers that shock me, it’s the cost of the **** putters that is outrageous. Considering that there has been very little R&D change to putters, and that it does not require a premium shaft, there is no reason that non-custom putters should be > $200. I get that it is the most used club in the bag, but they just keep rebranding the same designs over and over each year ... change black to red and jack up the price based on the “new visual and alignment help” or tweak the firmness of an insert and charge more for a “pro” model of the same **** clubhead.

Problem is people keep buying into the gimmick, OEM`s are not stupid.
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 943 ✭✭
    justwellsy wrote:

Of all the new irons I've tested, not one is worthy to knock my MP-64s out of the bag. I don't think players irons have improved enough over the last 10 years to justify spending over $1,000 on a new set. However, I feel the game improvement irons have gotten SO LONG that it's ridiculous. There's not a cold day in **** where I'd play p790s because they simply go too far and have too little feel. Take my favorite club for example, the 8-iron. With my current 8-iron I fly the ball 175-180 in "normal" conditions (I live at sea level and I'm talking about 75 degrees F or so). With a P790 8-iron of the same length with the same shaft I was flying the ball 190 to 195 yards. I don't think anyone "needs" to hit an 8-iron that far and there was definitely a sacrifice in feel and workability.

In short, I think you can wait even longer to upgrade your irons.. unless you are looking for stupid distance. For Woods, the last release cycle seems to be fairly similar to the newest for most models so save your money. I think most of club fitting is about finding what's comfortable and gives you confidence in your game. Do you need an extra 5 yards off the tee? I don't think most people do.

While you may not like the GI irons, they do offer a specific group of people the opportunity to also try to enjoy this bastxxx of a game. Which is a good thing IMHO.
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    I don't think I have ever paid "full price" since the day I started. The depreciation of golf clubs is very high when compared to other sports/hobbies I have. That $500 driver can be had brand new for half price in less than a season. That typically doesn't happen with cycling or ice climbing or anything else I'm into.
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,573 ✭✭
    dalehead wrote:

Golf64 wrote:

$700 for new drivers here in Canada, plus 13% taxes=$791!?!? Apex/Pros coming in at $1,800?! Going to be an interesting yr. for sales!? image/to_become_senile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':to_become_senile:' />

Yeah, but you have free health care.

Hardly. Our income taxes, sales taxes, gas and food prices are much higher than yours. I've worked in both countries. Taxes pay for the health care here.
    Cobra F8+, 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Ping G 5-GW, CFS 70 graphite R
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Ping Zing 2 TR 34", Flatso 1.0 grip
  • OldplayerOldplayer Members Posts: 2,360 ✭✭
    GSDriver wrote:

R&D ain't cheap...be patient as actual selling prices will likely be lower, or go with last year's model, which can be found discounted fairly deeply.

One of main reasons I quit HOing clubs, going on two years now as reformed.

Is it R&D costs or something else?

My understanding is R&D budgets are nothing like the marketing and promotional budgets spent by the OEM's.

The big guys have to cover what they spend in paying the pro's to play their stuff. Those contracts aren't cheap!
  • bullie76bullie76 Members Posts: 2,177 ✭✭

I'm on the back end of my golfing life so not sure if I will ever buy another new set. My latest set includes woods bought used and new irons purchased almost 2 years after they first hit the market. Perfectly happy buying that way.
    My senior bag.......
    Taylormade M2(2016) 9.5* driver reg
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood & 3,4 hybrids reg
    Ping G 6-pw(power lofts), i200 U wedge(49*).....CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 54/58 ss reg
    Ping Craz-E putter
    edited Jan 11, 2019 7:56pm #73
    Oldplayer wrote:

GSDriver wrote:

R&D ain't cheap...be patient as actual selling prices will likely be lower, or go with last year's model, which can be found discounted fairly deeply.

One of main reasons I quit HOing clubs, going on two years now as reformed.

Is it R&D costs or something else?

My understanding is R&D budgets are nothing like the marketing and promotional budgets spent by the OEM's.

The big guys have to cover what they spend in paying the pro's to play their stuff. Those contracts aren't cheap!

I don't recall the specifics but Titleist sale a couple of years ago showed their marketing expenditures was many times greater than R&D
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,361 ✭✭
    Dont buy new stuff, pretty simple

It's still your choice and by now should know there isnt anything but pride (I have the newest) separating decision......

Dont buy it and not an issue
  • StonewalledStonewalled Members Posts: 1,511 ✭✭
    RH82 wrote:

I remember as a junior in 2000 or so saving money for a new Ping TiSi Tec driver and back then it was around $600 CAD.
    I can remember paying $400 for a used one, ouch. This is after both the wife and I won our respected long drive contest at local fun tournament with that exact club. Still have it, need to pull it out again.
  • asw7576asw7576 Members Posts: 1,089
    I rather use the money for more playing nowadays.
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Drivers : Taylormade RBZ S2, JetSpeed, SLDR S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Fairways : Taylormade SLDR S, Callaway X2 Hot[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hybrids : Taylormade RBZ S2, SLDRS S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Irons : Mizuno JPX 800 HD, Yamaha Inpres X Z Cavity 2013 & Z 2016, Maruman Titus & X1 [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Wedges : Mizuno T4[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Putters : Oddyssey Tank 2 balls, Works 2 fangs[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Shoes : Footjoy DNA[/font]
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Members Posts: 795 ✭✭
    And don’t get me started on the cost of tees.......
    TaylorMade M2 Tensei Pro White 60s
    Callaway Epic Flash w/ Whiteboard 70s
    Callaway Rogue 5W w/ Whiteboard 80s
    Callaway Apex 19 Combo w/ PX 5.5
    Vokey SM7 52.12F Raw
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*
    TaylorMade 60* Hi-Toe
    Scotty Cameron
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Members Posts: 1,192 ✭✭
    Economy is doing well compared to years past. Also I am sure the tariffs on products coming from Asia don't help any either.
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 650 ✭✭
    had a call today from a good friend, after a long layoff of play, asking where should he go for equipment.

this fellow is tall so he may need length and upright adjustments.

I recommended he begin at the fitters. pay the fee.

get measured and find the right type for his swing.

tell the fitter he will be looking for budget equipment so point him to brands we know are available as second hand.
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 876 ✭✭
    LifeStory wrote:

all new 2019 club purchases include a bottle of lube.

Dammit, I got ripped off!
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0 / Cobra F9 9 HZRDUS Smoke
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7, Evenroll #5
    TM TP5, Titleist AVX
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,979 ✭✭
    Yes, new clubs are expensive. I have sticker shock.
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,155 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 11:27pm #82
    Money really only becomes an issue if you are buying and selling the clubs after a couple rounds. If you buy them and use them for a few years the extra $100 is nothing.

Or look at ways to buy slightly used then you just pay payment fees+shipping

or use one of the 90 day trial programs

or sell your kids to slave labor

There are a ton of options today to make it possible

edit: My solution, studying my butt off so i can make more cash and not have to worry about it

Current Gamers

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TC Callaway X Hot 3 Deep 14.5...................Rombax P95 X
    Taylormade GAPR Mid 3..............................Recoil Utility 110F5
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................AMT TI X100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-PW....................................AMT TI X100
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 56.........................AMT TI S400
    TI Taylormade Hi Toe 60.09..........................AMT TI S400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • gyro25gyro25 Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    As much as I like new and shiny I but the previous years models.. still new to me at about the cost
  • theboyslatertheboyslater Members Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Key is to get fit during the year and then use something like callawaypreowned.com Black Friday sale. Cost me $60 to upgrade from epic to rogue!
  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,195 ✭✭
    cgasucks wrote:

grm24 wrote:

bogeypro wrote:

I know we always complain about prices, but everything is really humping up this year. Irons in the $1300-1400 range. Drivers finally cracked $500.
    Drivers have been $500+ previously. In 2003 the R510TP was priced at retail at $599.99 and higher. Inflation adjusted over $800 in current day money.

Perhaps a history lesson from 1996 needs revisiting.

https://www.si.com/v...surely-costlier

This barrier, however, was broken quietly, indoors and without warning, when

Ram Golf president Jim Hansberger--wearing a coat and tie instead

of the traditional fireproof jumpsuit--introduced the Ram FX

Ti-Forged oversize titanium driver. Suggested retail price: $1,000.

Or it doesn't, depending on whom you talk to. For more than a

year Titleist and MacGregor have been selling oversize titanium

drivers for less than $300--or trying to, anyway. "They haven't

sold any," says Callaway Golf CEO Ely Callaway, smiling broadly.

"Ask any retailer." (We did. He's right.) Callaway, on the other

hand, has shipped 300,000 of its Great Big Bertha titanium

drivers, which retail for a robust $500
    . Industry giant Cobra,

seeking to establish itself in metal woods, has trumped Callaway

by pricing its King Cobra Ti (pronounced tee-eye) driver at a

mere $367, causing industry experts to conclude that Callaway

either will lower its price (it'll have to, if everybody follows

Cobra's lead) or thumb its nose at the competition (Callaway is

arrogant enough to keep the price up, no matter what others

charge). At Founders Club, whose Judge titanium driver sells for

$475,
    metal woods pioneer and company founder Gary Adams

concedes, "Those people who drive a Mercedes will want to own a

titanium driver."

Reminds me of the Tommy Armour Ti100 iron. It was one of the first irons that its clubhead was 100% Titanium. It came out in '96 and retailed for $1200 for steel and $1500 for graphite (which roughly is $1900 & $2400 in today's dollars).

Too bad that iron was a flop and pretty much killed the original iteration of that company and its management.

I was one of the dummies that bought a graphite set of Ti's at full retail, minus a $100 rebate. I recall, a couple years after release, Big Lots had Ti's for $199. I played those clubs until I bought a new set of 09 x forged, deeply discounted ($400) in 2010. Still playing the x forged, best clubs I ever bought.

Traded the Ti's in 2010 for a Diablo driver. The Ti's still looked like new, $110 trade. Lucky to get that much.

Learned a valuable lesson, buy either deeply discounted new, or gently used. Buying the latest and greatest is just throwing money away.
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    burge wrote:

I hear ya. What really irks me for a long time is how much even PUTTER COVERS are so overpriced. I still have no clue why Scotty Cameron Covers are in the hundreds of dollars.

For God's sake, it's just a piece of leather lined with fleece!
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 9:51am #87
    rgk5 wrote:

dalehead wrote:

Golf64 wrote:

$700 for new drivers here in Canada, plus 13% taxes=$791!?!? Apex/Pros coming in at $1,800?! Going to be an interesting yr. for sales!? image/to_become_senile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':to_become_senile:' />

Yeah, but you have free health care.

Hardly. Our income taxes, sales taxes, gas and food prices are much higher than yours. I've worked in both countries. Taxes pay for the health care here.

I'm from Vancouver, BC myself and we're the only province that still pays for healthcare (although heavily subsidized) through monthly premiums based on your income. By 2020, we'll pay health care by way of our income taxes just like the rest of the country.

Gas here is the highest in North America. It is quite common for us to cross the border to Washington state to gas up where gas is approximately 30% cheaper because of lower Gov't taxes, even after you account for the foreign exchange.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    Because of all the high costs, I am hoping to keep my bag the same for next few years. I have pretty much all new clubs and multiple sets of wedges with 2 having little to no wear.

Frankly, despite making a lot of money. Incant afford to keep the buying pace I've had over the last several years. That and I really like my equipment for once.
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • zxcv4zxcv4 Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    I would agree that you have to combo buying maybe a year old set, and strike at the right time. I got a brand new set of of Cobra Oversize 4-P for about 290 around Black Friday. They had reduced the price on their website, and as such, Amazon reduced their price to match it. Amazon also happened to be running a promo where if you used AMEX points you got an additional 20% off. It worked out well for me, but I had been waiting over a year to get those clubs under that 300 dollar price point.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag: 2017 Cobra Cart Bag / Cameron Club Carry Bag / Tour Edge Stand Bag

Driver 1 - Cobra F7
    Driver 2 - Cobra LTD
    Hybrids - Cobra F6 3-4 / Cobra Fly Z 3-4
    Irons - 4-GW - Cobra Oversize Steel (2017) / 5- SW Cobra FP Graphite {broken 7 Iron so if you have one for a good price let me know :-) }
    Putter - TaylorMade Golf TP Red Collection Putter Ardmore Special Edition

I am a bit of a Cobra guy.
    [/font]
  • hackalothackalot Members Posts: 511 ✭✭
    Yes. Prices are out of control but seems people still forking over the money. Always amazed when I see people talk about all the new clubs they had over season. I use to buy new and latest, but now buy previous release or close out items. Can get for 1/3 price and not really missing out on performance
    Cobra Fly-Z+
    Titleist 913hd 18 deg
    Ping S55 3-pw x100
    Titleist SM6 54 & 58
    Scotty Newport 2
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    hackalot wrote:

Yes. Prices are out of control but seems people still forking over the money. Always amazed when I see people talk about all the new clubs they had over season. I use to buy new and latest, but now buy previous release or close out items. Can get for 1/3 price and not really missing out on performance

My dad and I were probably the worst ones with new equipment in our league. But I think both of us this year maybe set. I atleast hope I am. Hard to get consistent when you change all the time.
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne