Do you change

zebra2955zebra2955 Members Posts: 560 ✭✭
Do you chnage equipment depending on course or conditions?

Different driver , wedges etc.
Cobra F7

Callaway Epic

Cobra F6 fairway woods

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

What ever ball Costco has LOL

Comments

• Loomis13Loomis13 Members Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Never. Mainly because I don't have the amount of clubs to do so. I would like to be able to change my wedges this time of year in Iowa though.
  • MI517MI517 Members Posts: 437 ✭✭
    There’s a couple courses I switch out my 3W for a 2i, but that’s pretty much it.
    Ping G400 Max Driver 9* - Ping Tour 65 X
    Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid - UST Recoil ES780 S
    Callaway Apex 21* Utility Iron - KBS TourV S
    Cobra King Forged CB/MB 4-P - KBS $-Taper Black S
    Titleist SM7 50*F, 54*F, 58*M - KBS $-Taper
    Odyssey #1Works Versa 34”
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,367 ✭✭
    I will tinker with the top end of my bag . The decision is based on a mixture of tee and approach shot distance needed at a given course. I swap between several combinations of the following:

13* vs. 15* 3w

18* 5w vs 21* 3h

One of these days I plan to get an 18* or 19* 2h to replace the 5w and make that swap a bit easier.

Driver is way too fickle to switch. I might switch wedges if I possessed any alternatives to my gamers - but alas, I do not.
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,203 ✭✭
    I change wedges to match whatever iron set I am playing. I like old irons, and they have weaker pitching wedges, so I'll usually drop a wedge and just take my 54* and 60* if I'm playing an old set.

I might change my 60* depending on whether it's wet or dry. If it's dry, then I take a 60* with a wide sole to help me in the bunkers. I don't want that wide sole with wet sand, though.

Finally, I might swap out my 4i for a 9w, especially in cold weather.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • 20six20six Members Posts: 563 ✭✭
    I change underwear if I forget to bring my Dude Wipes.
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭
    20six wrote:

I change underwear if I forget to bring my Dude Wipes.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:4231262]
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,721 ✭✭
    I have one set of clubs and buy specs. that will suit most conditions, since I play diff. courses. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,334 ✭✭
    On a tight course, I might put the mini driver in the bag.
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 12:11pm #10
    I always looked at the top and bottom end of the sets, as well as putter, since the tightness/firmness of the fairways, both in width and actual turf conditions, would warrant a change of tee ball options, as well as wedge options.

Putters - always took my 3 favorite: one for exceptionally fast greens, one for moderate speed, and one for really slow. That was easy to sort out prior to starting.

Just my [sharedmedia=core:attachments:4128628] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:4128628]
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • dicko999dicko999 I call it "Celebration" Members Posts: 486 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 12:16pm #11
    gvogel wrote:

On a tight course, I might put the mini driver in the bag.

This. I'll throw in the 14* SLDR occasionally and pull the 62*, which rarely gets used.

EDIT - I'll sometimes also pull both hybrids and play a 4 iron in its place and SLDR Mini if conditions call. At least 90% of the time, it's the stock bag setup.
    Callaway Rogue 10.5*
    Callaway Rogue 17*
    Ping G20 20*, 23* Hybrids
    Ping G400 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 56*M, 62*M
    Piretti Matera
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,101 ✭✭
    More likely to change the ball, based on the conditions,

Maybe change the 15* fairway to the 13* fairway, again

Depends on conditions.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • 8overpar8overpar Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    Nope. I've played with a 13 club bag since 1990 or so. Seems to work. Only time something is switched out is when a club is "retired" and replaced. That's on about a 10 year interval right now.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 915F 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 716CB - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52/08 (F) - KBS Tour-S
    Scratch                   56/06 - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 60/04 (L) - TT Wedge flex
    CNC SS Xenon Element
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Only thing I change is the navigation setting on my phone if I don't know how to get to the course :-)

Equipment in the bag...nope. If it makes someone feel they are better prepared then that is a positive. For my little brain it would bring the opposite...did I make the right decision, have I practiced with this enough to know what to expect under pressure, etc.. Maybe I can say I am not smart enough to think that much!
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 764 ✭✭
    OMG, this topic just made me think of something that could be BIG.

Maybe I can tell my wife that I have to play different clubs at different courses and therefor need at least two more sets? I mean gosh, my home course has zoysia fairways and maybe you shouldn't hit blades this time of year because it damages the turf. And across town they have signed an exclusive deal with Taylormade. In exchange for funding you are now required to play TM clubs on that course. I am going to play Karsten Creek in 2019 and of course it is Ping only there. This might just work......classifieds here I come :-)
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 6:37am #16
    The only thing that I think should be changed is specifications of clubs, not necessarily totally different clubs. That being said, I make the exception with woods/hybrids vs driving iron. Otherwise I would swap what wood lofts or what degree/bounce wedges (otherwise exact same wedge) depending if the course really required the change (links, parklands, soft, rock hard). Putter I would never change unless I was completely off-my-face-couldn't-sink-4-footer bad that day.

The game is hard enough, try to keep as many things the same. Bryson method.
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,028 ClubWRX
    There are a couple of changes I make, depending upon the course:

If a course is very firm, I'll change out my lob wedge in favor of one that has a narrow sole and a leading edge that sits closer to the turf.

I carry a driving iron by default, but I'll swap it for a hybrid if a course doesn't have any holes where I need to hit 230-240 yard tee shots and there are par 5s where I may need to hit a second shot from similar distances.
    TaylorMade M3 9.5, GD Tour AD GP-6s, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M3 T3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,868 ClubWRX
    The only clubs that usually move in and out of the bag because of course conditions are the wedges. I normally carry a 50, 54, and 58 mid-bounce wedges. These work well for me on wet/soft conditions and semi-firm conditions.

When I play a course that is very firm with tight lies around the greens I'll put a low bounce 60 in the bag in place of the mid-bounce 58.

If I play a course with a lot of bunkers around the greens I may replace the 54 mid-bounce with a 56 high-bounce wedge.
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • calfan36calfan36 Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    MI517 wrote:

There’s a couple courses I switch out my 3W for a 2i, but that’s pretty much it.

Could you explain when and why?
  • MI517MI517 Members Posts: 437 ✭✭
    calfan36 wrote:

MI517 wrote:

Could you explain when and why?

My dispersion with the 2i is narrower. It’s a ~240 club for me. 3w is ~255-260, but not as accurate. On the flip side, I also hit the 3w much better off the fairway.

I don’t belong to a club, so I play 20-30 different courses a year varying amounts of times. There are a few courses I play that have relatively short par 5’s (460-500) and most of the par 4’s are rather narrow and under 390. So I find the 3w unnecessary since I’m rarely hitting it to get on a par 5 in two or off the tee and with the par 4’s, ~240 leaves me a PW/9i in from the fairway.
    Ping G400 Max Driver 9* - Ping Tour 65 X
    Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid - UST Recoil ES780 S
    Callaway Apex 21* Utility Iron - KBS TourV S
    Cobra King Forged CB/MB 4-P - KBS $-Taper Black S
    Titleist SM7 50*F, 54*F, 58*M - KBS $-Taper
    Odyssey #1Works Versa 34”
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    Our courses locally are either hard as a rock or sloppy. In Northern California we have drought and we have too much rain; very little in between. I change the loft on my driver pretty frequently based on whether I’m looking for carry or roll. I used to switch up wedges, too, but found that I tended to over think that.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,101 ✭✭
    I tell myself I will as justification for clubs I don’t really need, when in reality I follow through very rarely.
  • texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,483 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 12, 2019 11:44pm #23
    I have a 58 degree Vokey SM7 with 8 degrees of bounce and M grind (58-08M). Have had a few issues the last couple of months because courses have been pretty sloppy with all the rain during this period.

I’m thinking of picking up the 58-12D, as it has more bounce (12 degrees) and the D grind looks very similar to the M grind. Would then keep both and go back to the 8 degree when things dry out.

Everything else is good.
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff 
    Titleist TS3 15 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 5 - 9 irons AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 48-10F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52-08F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-10S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-10S
    Odyssey O-works 2 Ball Red
    Titleist Pro V1X
    Additional - Titleist TS3 16.5 degree fairway wood, Titleist Vokey 60.12D wedge, Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff, Titleist 718 AP2 4 iron and pitching wedge, Taylormade R7 425 TP, Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood, Scotty Cameron Select Newport, Ping Anser 35 inch, Cleveland Designed By blade putter.

GO VOLS!
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,260 ✭✭
    zebra2955 wrote:

Do you chnage equipment depending on course or conditions?

Different driver , wedges etc.

3i for windy days and tighter courses. Hybrid for courses with long par 3's or when I find I'm going for par 5's in 2. I tend to hit the 3i a little better.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• hdgolf44hdgolf44 Members Posts: 342 ✭✭
    In the "rotation" right now, there is: Strong 3-Wood, 4-Wood, 19-degree hybrid, & 21-degree hybrid. Two of these clubs will be in the bag on any given round. The two woods and the 21* hybrid are adjustable so that also factors into the mixing and matching.

My default set-up is with my 4W (at 17.5*) and the 21* hybrid. There's a couple specific courses where I'll bag the Strong 3W because multiple tee shots suit it, but otherwise it's probably the least-played of the group.

There's also times when I'll take out my 4-iron and opt for an extra hybrid; that is a function of the Par 3 yardages.

Of course, theres also the extra Drivers to replace those ones on "timeout". lol
    Cobra King F6+ (black - set @ 9*) -- w/ Kuro Kage Silver (stiff)
    TaylorMade M4 5W (18*) -- w/ stock Fuji Atmos 6 Red
    TaylorMade M1 Rescue - 21* -- w/ stock Fuji Pro 80h stiff
    Mizuno Fli-Hi Utility -24* -- w/ TT DG S300
    Mizuno MP-64 (5-PW) -- w/ TT DG S300
    Cleveland RTX-3 - (52* mg) & (56* fg)
    Callaway Mack Dady PM Grind (60*)
    PING Anser 3 MgBr -" w/ GP Tour Tradition

• HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,788 ✭✭
    When I moved to three wedges and still had 3&5 woods, I used to drop either of the woods for a tight course with no reachable par 5s and the 4 iron on wide-open courses with reachable par 5s.

Nowadays I swap my putters, my counter-balanced putter doesn't work on very slow greens so I need a normal putter for those.
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    MP-650, 9.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link