Modus Tour 105 - High Ball flight?

bkirkley09bkirkley09 Members Posts: 383 ✭✭
I picked up the Srixon z585s with the stock 105 shafts and while the feel is amazing I cannot get the ball flight down. It is so high that it is costing me a lot of distance as my shots are getting a bit spinny and just flying straight up in the air. Are theses shafts known for a high ball flight? I am trying to found out some information and I see that they have a soft tip and late action may cause high flight, but I cannot even control it with what I feel are smooth swings. It is pretty frustrating. Just looking for information about how these shafts load etc. so that I can try to figure out how to control my ball flight. Thanks!

P.S. I love the skytrak which shows my all the details of my shot as I am pretty sure its going to transform my game!

PING G400 Max 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6X
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W, Oban Devotion 7x
Callaway Epic Flash 5W, Smoke 80g 6.5
Ping I210 4-PW, DG 120 S300
Ping Glide Stealth, 50ss, 54ss, 58ss, AWT Wedge Flex
Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Moto, 33"

Comments

• Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,186 ✭✭
    They are high spinning as well; which is typical when you approach the 100 gram class.

You may want to try the 120 if not, the 125 in a stiff.
    Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Ping Redwood
  • bkirkley09bkirkley09 Members Posts: 383 ✭✭
    Chuck905 wrote:

They are high spinning as well; which is typical when you approach the 100 gram class.

I am just confused as when I look at Nippon website it says it has the same flight characteristics as the Tour 125 which is mid spin and mid flight. I had previously played Project X 6.5 but felt that they were too board so wanted to try a different shaft. I know this was an extreme switch but I never thought ball flight would be this much of a problem.

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,305 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 11:37pm #4
    Did you pick up the Z585 irons to test them on launch monitor, or did you buy them?

The NS Pro Modus shaft family has a complex matrix to suggest what each shaft will deliver.The Modus 105 shafts are for medium tempo swingers, and offer medium flight and low spin.

Check out the NS Pro shaft site for other shafts in the Modus family: https://nipponshaft....brand_modus.php

You need a shaft that will stand up to your full tempo swing. If it's too light, you could start having left misses - assuming you're right-handed - by allowing the arms to take over.

True Temper and Project X have some shafts with firmer tips that would launch lower. And, PX now offers thr LZ line that is a bit friendlier than the originals.

Also, have someone check out your set-up and release. If you have a really early release, you may be flipping your irons rather than making solid, a slightly downward contact. Flipping can lead to lost distance and a high, spinny shot.

Again, are you testing the Z585s or do you already own them?
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 11:48pm #5
    I have played the Modus 120 for 3 years and tried the 105 and found them lower launching.

The 105 as others have said is a Mid Launch - Low Spin shaft. I think the Z585 is built for higher launch even though the static lofts are strong. I would get on Trackman

GC Quad , Flight Scope and check your Dynamic loft. There is a chance your delivering added loft at impact causing higher ball flights and distance loss.

Are you hitting balls outside or basing this on SkyTrak? Dynamic Loft # is a huge indicator
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
    edited Jan 12, 2019 1:13am #6
    ChipNRun wrote:

Did you pick up the Z585 irons to test them on launch monitor, or did you buy them?

The NS Pro Modus shaft family has a complex matrix to suggest what each shaft will deliver.The Modus 105 shafts are for medium tempo swingers, and offer medium flight and low spin.

Check out the NS Pro shaft site for other shafts in the Modus family: https://nipponshaft....brand_modus.php

You need a shaft that will stand up to your full tempo swing. If it's too light, you could start having left misses - assuming you're right-handed - by allowing the arms to take over.

True Temper and Project X have some shafts with firmer tips that would launch lower. And, PX now offers thr LZ line that is a bit friendlier than the originals.

Also, have someone check out your set-up and release. If you have a really early release, you may be flipping your irons rather than making solid, a slightly downward contact. Flipping can lead to lost distance and a high, spinny shot.

Again, are you testing the Z585s or do you already own them?

I own them and have hit quite a few shots. I am using the optimal shot analyzer for Skytrak and I am in the red for both launch and descent angle. My launch is never below 33* and my descent angle is normally 50+*.

Tzoid wrote:

I have played the Modus 120 for 3 years and tried the 105 and found them lower launching.

The 105 as others have said is a Mid Launch - Low Spin shaft. I think the Z585 is built for higher launch even though the static lofts are strong. I would get on Trackman

GC Quad , Flight Scope and check your Dynamic loft. There is a chance your delivering added loft at impact causing higher ball flights and distance loss.

Are you hitting balls outside or basing this on SkyTrak? Dynamic Loft # is a huge indicator

I am assuming that is what I am doing but I have tried flighting the ball down (granted I am not a great golfer) and nothing seems to make a difference. I was hoping someone here would know some drills or tests that I could use to get the flight under control as even if it is the shaft I should be able to at least control the flight if I manipulated my swing. I am trying to get a better more consistent and manageable flight and right now when my 9 iron goes 40yds in the air it makes it difficult.

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,674 ✭✭
    What flex are the 105’s?
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
    noodle3872 wrote:

What flex are the 105’s?

Stiff flex

• dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,235 ✭✭
    I play the Modus 105 x flex in my i200s. I'm a high ball hitter with practically any shaft and I dont find these to produce an unusually high flight. I play a lot in the wind and have no problems flighting the ball down when needed. Without a doubt these are the best feeling shafts I've ever used.

OP, you might need to jump up to x flex
    USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    If you like the 105 weight, sounds like DG105 stiff would be a better fit? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,579 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 8:40am #12
    Most stronger players are going to hit a light weight shaft higher. Since you come from px 6.5 I’d have to guess you aren’t a slower guy. How’s the dispersion ? Do you feel like you can step on it and hit them straight ? Or are you babying them around trying to hit them straight.?

In my experience, if you have to ask , it’s all ready too late. Sell or re shaft em before you lose your swing trying to adapt it to those shafts.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • doublehansdoublehans Members Posts: 642 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 8:50am #13
    Always been a high ball hitter. Play the 105s. They haven't really been worse for me BUT I do have a tendency to be a bit flippy sometimes and I do feel like the 105s can exaggerate that, whether its because they are lighter and I just flip more aggressively or sthg I don't know, however when I do get flippy these things can go crazy high (and if I get handsy they can go left in a hurry, but thats another story). Of course, any shaft can go higher if im flippy, but I guess the way of saying it is when I am, these things go higher than the a flipped KBS Tour. But when I'm not, when I have more rotated through swing, the 105s are actually lower than the KBS for me. I've thought about going to the 105x, but I hate changing sthg that works well most of the time (Plus, I've stayed in these shafts because they've essentially eliminated wrist pain I had in KBS, PX, etc.). Its just on some bad habit days I have a problem.
  • DaveMacDaveMac Members Posts: 3,121 ✭✭
    Something seems off, a launch angle of 33 for a mid iron just looks like a miss-read. Is there a chance you are hitting the mat heavy thus contacting the iron super high on the face?

There isn’t a shaft change in the world than will drop launch by ~13 degrees.

There is nothing inherently super high launch about the Modus 105, sure there are stronger profiles but you need to establish if you really have a severe miss fit or a problem with your SkyTrack numbers. Borrow a friends iron with a ‘low launch’ shaft and compare the SkyTrack numbers.
  • propmanpropman Members Posts: 1,734 ✭✭
    Not sure if this will work for you but it is a cheap experiment/swing drill. When addressing the ball, focus your eyes in front (target side) of the ball (up to maybe an inch in front of the ball). This drill helps me to swing down on the ball when I'm getting too flippy..
    15 hcp
    DaveMac wrote:

Something seems off, a launch angle of 33 for a mid iron just looks like a miss-read. Is there a chance you are hitting the mat heavy thus contacting the iron super high on the face?

There isn’t a shaft change in the world than will drop launch by ~13 degrees.

There is nothing inherently super high launch about the Modus 105, sure there are stronger profiles but you need to establish if you really have a severe miss fit or a problem with your SkyTrack numbers. Borrow a friends iron with a ‘low launch’ shaft and compare the SkyTrack numbers.

I have always had high ball flight even with the px6.5. So I thought if I had a smoother more controlled swing I would lower that a bit. Elk it’s really hard to gauge how hard/smooth I am swinging. My distances are all over the place right now but my launches have all been consistently high unless I significantly alter the club head to hit more of a stinger type shot.

Most stronger players are going to hit a light weight shaft higher. Since you come from px 6.5 I’d have to guess you aren’t a slower guy. How’s the dispersion ? Do you feel like you can step on it and hit them straight ? Or are you babying them around trying to hit them straight.?

In my experience, if you have to ask , it’s all ready too late. Sell or re shaft em before you lose your swing trying to adapt it to those shafts.

Yea I mean I love the feel as I get so much more feedback on Mishima whereas the px6.5 felt like hitting a board every time no matter where the impact was. Granted I also went from cast AP1s to the z585s. I tend to agree I am just having trouble feeling/timing the kick of these shafts and it leads to some bombs but some short crazy high spiny shots as well. They might be going up on BST shortly.

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,450 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 12:36pm #18
    Modus 105 is both medium soft overall and in the tip, two things that lead to fairly high launch. As always, people that load the shaft heavily will notice more so than people that don't.

Titleist has some good shaft data that's worth checking out...

Keep in mind that butt frequency is the gauge for overall stiffness and 20 cpm is about one flex rating. Regarding tip stiffness, you need to see 30+ cpm (or maybe more?) between shafts in order to affect much of a difference in launch.
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • rbj69rbj69 Members Posts: 699 ✭✭
    bkirkley09 wrote:
    Chuck905 wrote:

I am just confused as when I look at Nippon website it says it has the same flight characteristics as the Tour 125 which is mid spin and mid flight. I had previously played Project X 6.5 but felt that they were too board so wanted to try a different shaft. I know this was an extreme switch but I never thought ball flight would be this much of a problem.
    The PX lz is a great shaft coming from the PX being boardy
    Taylormade M16 with Tensei Orange shaft
    Taylormade 3 wd with tensei orange shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3hybrid with aldila synergy shaft
    4-pw Srixon Z785/Zforged combo with px lz shafts
    Cleveland 50 rtx4 wedge
    Cleveland 56 rtx4 wedge
    Evnroll 1.2 Blacked out
    Cleveland Huntington Soft 11 CS blacked out
    Balls 19'Srixon Zstar xv and Zstar and others
  • Hookasaurus RexHookasaurus Rex Purveyor of fine turf Members Posts: 1,062 ✭✭
    Tzoid wrote:

Exactly my experience as well. I launched the Modus 120x shafts quite a bit higher than the 105x. For me the modus 105 is mid launch, mid spin...
    Cobra King F9 Avalanche 9* Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    Cobra King LTD 3-4w Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 913h 19* Aldila Tour Green 85hs
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 4-GW Nippon Modus 3 105x
    Cobra King Black 54*, 58* Modus Wedge 115
    PXG Bat Attack 35” 400g
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,117 ✭✭
    The Modus 105's are an excellent shaft and I have no issue with flighting them low or high when needed, think the op needs to look at the clubhead and if needed, how he releases into the ball.

The z585 has a larger v sole than other

Srixon models.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
    So I have worked on my swing, release and follow through all day today and have finally got the launch in a much better zone. It seems that most of my weight was not being transferred to my front leg which caused me to add too much loft to the club. So I worked on stepping through the zone after impact and it gave me a great flight. I can’t do it standing still yet but I believe this has to do with my ball impact and not the shaft.