My 10 yr old playing his first away 9 hole tournament on Sunday

Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
edited Jan 12, 2019 12:27am in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1
My little guy is playing in his first 9 hole tournament away from our club on Sunday (US Kids Golf).

I am hoping he just enjoys the experience and doesn't get caught up in expectations and wanting to shoot his best score ever.

Fingers crossed !
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Heʻs playing in a tournament, he should want to do his best. Good luck to the little guy and a proud dad.

• Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
    Ghostwedge wrote:

Heʻs playing in a tournament, he should want to do his best. Good luck to the little guy and a proud dad.

Good point, I mis typed and have now edited to what I meant to say....best score ever.

Yes very proud Dad, he's already starting his golf career 5 years before I did as a kid and his tournament play a long time before I did.

Let's hope the enthusiasm stays around.
  • dg_1983dg_1983 Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    Hope everyone enjoys it. Don't base enjoyment on the shot outcome or score. Enjoyment at that age should come every round!
    2014 Low 2.9
    2015 Low 2.6
    2016 Low 2.1
    2017 Target 1.4
    2018 Target 0.4
    2019 Target +15
    Current 0.2
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭

My little guy is playing in his first 9 hole tournament away from our club on Sunday (US Kids Golf).

I am hoping he just enjoys the experience and doesn't get caught up in expectations and wanting to shoot his best score ever.

Fingers crossed !

I wish your son the best of luck in his tournament! May be Golf Gods be on his side for each shot he takes!
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
    My son is the one having trouble with the rollercoaster of emotions. We got out and played 18 today and he was obviously thinking of tomorrow. Bad shots led to frustration and putting more pressure on himself. He finally let it all go for the back nine which was then bearable! We will see what happens tomorrow!
    Mods please move to Junior and College Golf Talk forum, thanks OP.
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,713 ✭✭
    Good luck today little Ray. Go Low!
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,712 ClubWRX
    Not sure how far away, but the ride is everything when you get to take your kids out of town for something. Hoping the ride there is a blast and the ride home is even more fun, whether talking about golf or a million other things that would be just as valuable!
    As I am sure many of you have experienced yourself or with your children, the first event is always a learning experience and a dose of reality. That was the case today and it probably was a good thing for the longer lasting pursuit of the game by my son. He was a little off with his swing and didn't putt well. Had a couple of lip outs that could have changed momentum and some three putts that took it away. He battled through, was disappointed but we went and practiced after and now he's going back out in two weeks for the next one.

We will take the advice of one of the posts on this forum and do a little debrief tonight on what he can do differently next time and what he wants me to do.

I think next time he will be better prepared.

P.S we played with another 10 yr old who has been doing the tournaments for 5 years already and he shot -1 for the 9 holes in the cold and wind.
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    Do everything you can to make these early experiences about having fun, not results or place scored. Obviously you want him to improve, but he needs to do so at his own rate. Understand some of these kids are just cruising at this point. My daughter played in a tournament yesterday, temp hung around 35. She played her typical, well over par. Some really good shots, mixed with chunks, 3 putts, etc. Top girl posted a 33, 3 under.

Tournament golf is hard. She’s having trouble putting together a good hole. Good shots here and there, but hasn’t yet found the ability to really string it all together. That’s the next level we are working on. Some of it is fundamentals, some of it is confidence. For you, understand each of these kids mature at a different level. You will see some of these names for the next 10 years. Others will come and go. Keep it fun, keep him interested, whatever that takes.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,852 ClubWRX

As I am sure many of you have experienced yourself or with your children, the first event is always a learning experience and a dose of reality. That was the case today and it probably was a good thing for the longer lasting pursuit of the game by my son. He was a little off with his swing and didn't putt well. Had a couple of lip outs that could have changed momentum and some three putts that took it away. He battled through, was disappointed but we went and practiced after and now he's going back out in two weeks for the next one.

We will take the advice of one of the posts on this forum and do a little debrief tonight on what he can do differently next time and what he wants me to do.

I think next time he will be better prepared.

P.S we played with another 10 yr old who has been doing the tournaments for 5 years already and he shot -1 for the 9 holes in the cold and wind.

Keep getting him out there. 10 year old yardages can be long especially for someone who is new to tournament golf. Best of luck in the future.