2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Club Fitting for Average Joes - Worth It?

Today, I will be undergoing my first full bag fitting at a new Club Champion that opened up 10 minutes away. I've never had a full bag fitting. I'm somewhat interested in the putter and wedges, but I'm really intrigued by the full swing clubs.

Have any "average joes" had significant performance improvement in full swing clubs from a fitting? Was it in your driver, woods or irons? Did you improve distance, dispersion or both?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior to my CC fitting, I had what I felt was a very good iron fitting about 2-3 years ago with a large Michigan-based retailer. I also had undergone another fitting at a "big box" that was just meh.

I'll begin my CC review with the end: Putting and Wedges. It was my first time on a SAM PuttLab, and this was the part of the fitting that was the most helpful. The setup was a 10' putt that was pretty much set up for the ball to go in, a camera placed over the ball, and a T-shaped attachment to the putter to detect head movement.

For me, I learned that I slightly cut across the ball (out-to-in) and at the same time I open and close the blade of the putter. (Ironically, I once owned a Swingbyte 2 about 2-3 years ago that showed me the out-to-in motion and I didn't believe it!) Based on my individual mechanics and current setup, it was recommended I go with a blade putter with jumbo grip and 45* toe hang. In addition, the fitter modified my current putter to optimize the loft to match the recommendation of the findings. I would give the putter fitting a solid A in terms of application to my game and helping my game, .

I asked to only be fit for one wedge to use on almost all short game shots. The fitter asked me what I like and dislike about wedges and mentioned look at address. I told him I prefer the face sit square at address. He told me to hit three 50-yard shots with my gamer. After watching me, he pulled a Vokey from the fitting bag and said "Don't look at it, just hit it 50 yards." I proceeded to hit three pitches 48, 53 and 50 yards exactly, and all on a line! The fitter said after hearing I liked a square face at setup and seeing I played the 50-yard shot closer to my lead foot, he just grabbed an "S" grind Vokey. He said the "S" grind is built to be square at address and to play shots toward the lead foot. He said in his mind, it was a no-brainer, and I had to agree. I think this part of the fitting will be a solid A/B for my game.

Driver and Hybrids: My gamer driver (G400 Max, Alta CB55 S) and hybrids (Maltby KE4, Maltby graphite, 75g Firm) were both considered locks. No further gains to be had with the driver shaft, and a few additional yards with some higher-priced hybrid shafts. Fitter gets an "A" for honesty here.

Fairway Wood: Current gamer is TEE EX10, 16.5*, with HZRDUS Black 6.0 (way too stiff, needs to be replaced). Clear winner was a Ping G400 SFT set at 17*. However, the recommended shaft came with a $200 price tag! I'll seek out a G400 SFT with the same stock shaft as my driver, which should be adequate. This one I'll give CC a B/C for finding a proper head.

Irons: This was the first fitting, and the only time I got a little "salty." Ultimately, we identified a shaft-head combo that provided 15 yards added carry. Sounds good, right? But, I asked the fitter about the dynamic loft of the new head compared with my gamer, and we found it was 3* stronger loft. Which means half of the 15 yards "gained" were from hitting a 5-iron with a "6" stamped on it. When I asked the fitter about this, he tried the "it's the number stamped on the sole that's important" line. They were going to recommend standard length clubs, and +0.5 upright. My specs from a previous iron fitting that I trust was +0.5" and 2* upright. The only reason I would give the iron fitting a "C" is the general identification that lighter shafts would get me some distance gains.

Summary: Overall, I felt the CC fitting was positive for me, as an "average Joe." Again, as long as you understand the pricing structure of the clubs they recommend going in, I think it's generally a good experience that will have a positive impact on your game. In my situation, I was just mystified by what appeared to me to be a lack of due care with the irons. Aside from that and the BS line about dynamic iron loft, I felt the fitter was pretty good.

I don't think most of the refinishers would work for me. My needs are more along the lines of tungsten plugs, sight lines, and weld necks and the like.

Bastain did some face milling on a Studio Stainless Cameron I had a couple of years ago. I'll look into them again.

Prior to my CC fitting, I had what I felt was a very good iron fitting about 2-3 years ago with a large Michigan-based retailer. I also had undergone another fitting at a "big box" that was just meh.

I'll begin my CC review with the end: Putting and Wedges. It was my first time on a SAM PuttLab, and this was the part of the fitting that was the most helpful. The setup was a 10' putt that was pretty much set up for the ball to go in, a camera placed over the ball, and a T-shaped attachment to the putter to detect head movement.

For me, I learned that I slightly cut across the ball (out-to-in) and at the same time I open and close the blade of the putter. (Ironically, I once owned a Swingbyte 2 about 2-3 years ago that showed me the out-to-in motion and I didn't believe it!) Based on my individual mechanics and current setup, it was recommended I go with a blade putter with jumbo grip and 45* toe hang. In addition, the fitter modified my current putter to optimize the loft to match the recommendation of the findings. I would give the putter fitting a solid A in terms of application to my game and helping my game, .

I asked to only be fit for one wedge to use on almost all short game shots. The fitter asked me what I like and dislike about wedges and mentioned look at address. I told him I prefer the face sit square at address. He told me to hit three 50-yard shots with my gamer. After watching me, he pulled a Vokey from the fitting bag and said "Don't look at it, just hit it 50 yards." I proceeded to hit three pitches 48, 53 and 50 yards exactly, and all on a line! The fitter said after hearing I liked a square face at setup and seeing I played the 50-yard shot closer to my lead foot, he just grabbed an "S" grind Vokey. He said the "S" grind is built to be square at address and to play shots toward the lead foot. He said in his mind, it was a no-brainer, and I had to agree. I think this part of the fitting will be a solid A/B for my game.

Driver and Hybrids: My gamer driver (G400 Max, Alta CB55 S) and hybrids (Maltby KE4, Maltby graphite, 75g Firm) were both considered locks. No further gains to be had with the driver shaft, and a few additional yards with some higher-priced hybrid shafts. Fitter gets an "A" for honesty here.

Fairway Wood: Current gamer is TEE EX10, 16.5*, with HZRDUS Black 6.0 (way too stiff, needs to be replaced). Clear winner was a Ping G400 SFT set at 17*. However, the recommended shaft came with a $200 price tag! I'll seek out a G400 SFT with the same stock shaft as my driver, which should be adequate. This one I'll give CC a B/C for finding a proper head.

Irons: This was the first fitting, and the only time I got a little "salty." Ultimately, we identified a shaft-head combo that provided 15 yards added carry. Sounds good, right? But, I asked the fitter about the dynamic loft of the new head compared with my gamer, and we found it was 3* stronger loft. Which means half of the 15 yards "gained" were from hitting a 5-iron with a "6" stamped on it. When I asked the fitter about this, he tried the "it's the number stamped on the sole that's important" line. They were going to recommend standard length clubs, and +0.5 upright. My specs from a previous iron fitting that I trust was +0.5" and 2* upright. The only reason I would give the iron fitting a "C" is the general identification that lighter shafts would get me some distance gains.

Summary: Overall, I felt the CC fitting was positive for me, as an "average Joe." Again, as long as you understand the pricing structure of the clubs they recommend going in, I think it's generally a good experience that will have a positive impact on your game. In my situation, I was just mystified by what appeared to me to be a lack of due care with the irons. Aside from that and the BS line about dynamic iron loft, I felt the fitter was pretty good.

out of curiosity, what was the fairway shaft that they recommended?

Thanks for the write-up of your experience.

I have never done a "fitting" per se, so it's always interesting to read about.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

out of curiosity, what was the fairway shaft that they recommended?

Thanks for the write-up of your experience.

I have never done a "fitting" per se, so it's always interesting to read about.

VA Composites Slay 65 R for $200. But, they were selling me the G400 SFT at retail, so that makes up for it a little bit.

; )

Quick question to "games" - in your iron fitting, knowing that you were not happy with the discussion, did you learn anything about the peak height, angle of descent, spin rate, etc. Just wondering with the lower lofts but new technology did the distance gains allow you to still stop the ball on the green. Thanks in advance.

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 5-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

Quick question to "games" - in your iron fitting, knowing that you were not happy with the discussion, did you learn anything about the peak height, angle of descent, spin rate, etc. Just wondering with the lower lofts but new technology did the distance gains allow you to still stop the ball on the green. Thanks in advance.

That's a fair question. Because I'm a flipper, I tend to deliver more loft to the ball than most. Holding a green isn't as much a problem for me as just getting to it in the first place. LOL!

But, to your point, the iron/shaft combo suggested did provide higher launch and overall height than my gamer set.

And, just to be clear, I really enjoyed my overall experience with my fitter. The loft comment is one of those "pet peeves" of mine.

Good to hear that you had a positive experience.

I'm a bit more suspect of how much fittings actually change an average golfer's scores. I think the fitting can be helpful if someone is playing with dramatically "wrong" equipment (too heavy, too stiff, long irons vs. hybrids, etc).

On the other hand:

-Most average players don't have a swing/strike that is consistent enough to really take much from the numbers. If you are hitting the ball all over the face the average launch/spin rate doesn't mean much.

-Also, the obsession over a couple degrees of launch and a several hundred rpms of spin is a bit silly when you consider that it's only going to change your carry distance by a handful of yards (if large changes can be made with better fitting equipment than I'll accept that could be worth it).

-Personally, I prefer to play a round with a demo set outside vs. just hitting balls repeatedly into a screen. First, I think from just watching the ball flight on a few well struck shots (driver or irons) you can tell if something is wrong / there is an excessive spin problem. Second, I've found that when hitting indoors on a monitor I sometimes adjust my swing to get the ball to fly "best" on the screen (direction and trajectory). I think you can get into a decent groove to get "good numbers" but this often has no relation to how you'll swing on a real golf course when there is trouble down one side, wind, etc.

I currently play to a 9 handicap (hit some good shots and some really bad shots each round), and may get a whole new bag soon. I'm on the fence on whether I should get a professional fitting or just try some different combos outdoors and go with what feels the best.

Of course, if you want to optimize everything and time/money is not an issue, then get the full fitting...

Fittings will always benefit a weaker player moreso than a scratch as the better player can manipulate anything to make it work. Weaker players don’t have that luxury.

Weaker players have very consistent swings and impact location, it’s just usually not in the center, and they’ll have a consistent miss usually due to face angle control or lack of practice. Many talk about wanting consistency, well, that comes from repetition.

If you can get a weaker player into a better fitting set of wedges and putter their scores will drop. If they can hit more greens in reg their scores will drop. Longer and more accurate off the tee, scores will drop.

If you give a weaker player lessons and try to change their swing, there’s no guarantee their scores will drop. Many weaker players are that because they can not dedicate ample time to practice. Fitting uses the current swing!

Generally speaking it's a waste of time unless your normal clubs are really holding you back for you.

I'm 85mph for driver ,125-130 yards carry 7 iron.

I'm not overly tall or short: not upright or flat at address.

The several fittings I've enjoyed (and they are fun) have had me from stiff flex to heavy regular to light soft regular hard stepped. All very enjoyable but none made any discernable difference.

I'm sure if your current gamers are miles out of suiting you or you have a serious game of golf and need every piece of help even if it's just 1% improvement, the a brilliant fitter could help.

I cannot think of one of my golfing buddies that has shown any big improvement after a 'fittings'.

For my experiences, most a charlatans and snake oil tricksters.

I think it really depends, the reality is that for most places the fitting is a means to an end, purchase of equipment. I do believe that with a quality fitting session you can improve the equipment to an extent to maximize the potential of an average golfer. it takes two though, a quality fitter and a realistic golfer. I don't want to admit it but I shot better scores with a custom fit set of clubs when I first started golfing [ie not a great swing] than I do now, 13 years later after instruction and tinkering. I have had great fittings from big box stores, where the individual took time to diagnose more than just what $300 upcharge shaft to swap in. And I have had really disappointing fittings from supposed Top 100 club fitters, where I felt all I really got was someone going through the motions.

Fittings will always benefit a weaker player moreso than a scratch as the better player can manipulate anything to make it work. Weaker players don't have that luxury.

Weaker players have very consistent swings and impact location, it's just usually not in the center, and they'll have a consistent miss usually due to face angle control or lack of practice. Many talk about wanting consistency, well, that comes from repetition.

If you can get a weaker player into a better fitting set of wedges and putter their scores will drop. If they can hit more greens in reg their scores will drop. Longer and more accurate off the tee, scores will drop.

If you give a weaker player lessons and try to change their swing, there's no guarantee their scores will drop. Many weaker players are that because they can not dedicate ample time to practice. Fitting uses the current swing!

Sorry if you are a fitter and my post offended you.

But some of the points you write aren't realistic.

#1. Weaker players don't have a consistent swing and impact location. I miss 20 yards short or offline more often than a scratch golfer. A 20-30 handicap misses 40 yards short, hits it 20 yards total (fat), or 30 yards offline more than I do. They also hit some good shots that are in the center of the face. To suggest that a weak player's strikes are consistent but just consistently bad is crazy. Just look at the impact marks on a driver or 6 iron after a season for a high handicap player (mine aren't even close to perfect or consistent).

#2. I agree that removing ill-fitting clubs can help scores. But I could do this after playing 9 holes with a person and just watching their swing/clubhead speed (no launch monitor needed). Remove driver < 10 degrees loft, replace 3 wood with 5 wood, hybrids before any iron with less than ~25-30 degrees loft. Upcharge shafts and the gauntlet of specialty clubs isn't needed. The equipment industry wouldn't like this but even for me I could probably play with 8 clubs and my scores won't change dramatically in the long-run. When you miss the sweet spot badly (which happens in increasing frequency the worse a player gets), it doesn't matter if you pull a 7 iron or an 8 iron.

#3. If you are playing for very high stakes (high level amateur, pro, etc), maximizing out your equipment is critical. For the average weekend hacker, having all of their clubs go 5 yards further on perfect strikes (which only happens a few times a round) isn't going to drop 10 shots like you seem to be alluding to. Want to hit longer straighter drives and more GIR? Hit the center of the face with a square angle / path and that will happen (and no, we don't need to be taking lessons from Butch Harmon to try and swing like Adam Scott or year 2000 Tiger to do that).

So yes, a basic fitting can help someone if they have the completely wrong equipment. But for most golfers, the vast majority of the improvement in the clubs' performance and the players scoring can still be done with off the rack options (vs. being sold something that costs 2x).

• 1 month later...

My experience fwiw. Returned to the game after a very long layoff (decades since regular play), got fit and started lessons. Two months later, struggling with some elbow issues and curious so got fit again at a different place (CC). During that two months in addition to working with an instructor I also got a lot smarter about the fitting process.

Initial fit: i210 head, DG120 S300 shaft, 0.5" long, 1 degree upright

Second fit: i210 head, i95 regular shaft, 0.5" long, 1 degree flat

Open question on causation but my take is that I was biased towards what I used to hit in the distant past for the first fit (DG S300), and my swing was steep and a mess. My swing has changed significantly in the last two months, much less steep and even a hair inside out now. The data didn't lie and was consistent - I saw 17 yard average increase in carry between the two setups (identical head) along with better dispersion - that was a mix of well-hit and some less well-hit. Time will tell how this translates to the course, but mainly I'm hoping that a combination of graphite shaft and more consistent striking will make my elbow happy, in addition to Tyler twist exercises. I was a bit shocked at how much difference there was in feel and performance.

One other key was that for the second fitting I didn't look at what shaft I was hitting during the process. I think trying to do fittings "blind" is helpful to eliminate some confirmation bias.

I was happy enough that I'm heading back for a hybrid/fairway fitting next week. My driver is working well. I also can't do a single session for an entire bag fitting - too many swings for my beat-up body.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

• 2 weeks later...

If you wonder what to expect from a thorough fitting experience, check out one of Tom Wishon's books on the subject, go to his website or read some of his numerous articles on this site. He explains how/why each of maybe 12 fitting aspects affects performance. Some fittings are not as comprehensive as his but with Wishon's info you can zone in on what aspects matter most and find a fitter that covers them; you'll also get a sense of the improvements you can expect.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would never do the full bag in one session / fitting...especially at Club Champion (2 friends went there and were upsold to expensive driver shafts...each spent over $700 on a driver alone)....that seems excessive for average golfers whereas a Mfg stock offered shaft may have likely been as good. I could not imagine a whole bag of upsells! But if you don't like your money...maybe it is worth it to you.

I'd do one set of clubs at a time (irons, then putter, then driver, then long clubs, then wedges). I improved after getting fit each time. Sold my first set of fitted irons and thought I knew my swing - bought a set of irons off the rack and enjoyed the shorter irons - but would usually hit my 7-6-5 irons about the same distance. Wrong shaft. Fit for new irons = bingo, normal gappings, better ballflight. Putter was probably the most significant fitting improvement. My fitter knew my swing well after irons and driver and was able to just verbally hook me up with long clubs and wedges - no need to pay for a fitting for those items. As your swing gets more consistent, you'll benefit more...so maybe don't go overboard if you are a beginner / casual golfer.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

I did a driver fitting last spring and wasn't impressed. I tinker quite a bit and have tried a wide variety of drivers and shafts. My driver SS is 90-91ish, so I know that loft is my friend and unlike the X-shaft swingers out here, I need a bit of spin just to keep the ball in the air long enough . After what seemed like 45 minutes of the fitter staring at the computer and not really wanting to be involved, he recommended a 12* driver and 55-gram, R-flex, high-launch shaft (specifically Oban Revenge). When I asked about length he really had nothing to say considering that everything he had me try was 45 inches. In the end I thanked him for confirming what I had already figured out.

As others have mentioned here, if you are using older equipment and don't tinker or try new stuff periodically, you might find something that really benefits you in a fitting. If you're like me and already try new clubs like most people try new coffee flavors, and high spin isn't an issue, you may not have any "revelations".

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams