When Money Is On The Line

platgofplatgof platgofClubWRX Posts: 1,439 ClubWRX
My boss years ago always wanted to play for something, anything, to make it interesting, and I didn't because he was so much better. Lately I am playing golf with a group and we throw $20 in the pot and you had better get a birdie or your losing money. In two rounds I have three birdies, and that is not normal for me. I somehow up my game with that twenty on the line. He was right. I really enjoy this as it helps my concentration level, knowing some cash is on the line. It is also costing me more in golf equipment, trying to keep up as well. This is a lot of fun.
GBB Fusion HT 13.5
F9 5-6 WD
F9 7-8 WD
OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
P790 5-PW
Glide AW, SW, LW
TM Spider Pro Red C/S
B330RX

Comments

• augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭
    It's called "skin in the game" and should always make you pay attention to what you are doing
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,858 ✭✭
    fun can be had loosing money and buying new equipment
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,721 ✭✭
    you're in trouble now!

everything else is just slapping it around image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 924 ✭✭
    I play with a guy who loves to gamble but pays everyone else each round. I usually dont bring it up, but most of my buddies like to money play
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,439 ClubWRX
    I figure $20 in the pot, no biggie. Look what I spend on golf clubs.... When I become more competitive, they have a $5 pot for closest to the pin as well. This is the most fun I have ever had playing golf, knowing I need at least one birdie each round. If you birdie the same hole as someone else, your's is cancelled.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • LambLamb LondonMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭
    platgof wrote:

My boss years ago always wanted to play for something, anything, to make it interesting, and I didn't because he was so much better. Lately I am playing golf with a group and we throw $20 in the pot and you had better get a birdie or your losing money. In two rounds I have three birdies, and that is not normal for me. I somehow up my game with that twenty on the line. He was right. I really enjoy this as it helps my concentration level, knowing some cash is on the line. It is also costing me more in golf equipment, trying to keep up as well. This is a lot of fun.

This is the only way I play golf. I don't have time for social stuff with nothing on the line. Whats the point hitting a shot not really caring where it goes because you are having fun. I am type A personality and competing is FUN!!
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭
    I try to always keep a bit of cash on me for this reason alone. It will make you play better when money is on the line.

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • Frasier CraneFrasier Crane Members Posts: 139 ✭✭
    platgof wrote:

Funny that a kid I used to teach in Sunday school was a "big time" HS golfer said essentially the same thing. Best way to improve was to start betting LOL.
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,752 ✭✭
    watch out for your swing fundamentals getting cocked out when the stakes get higher image/superman2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman2:' />
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
    No way am I going to play for big money. $20 pots are just fine, unless... my swing improves a lot. Don't see that happening anytime soon.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
    Played today and I guess it was "donation day." I am still ahead on the money though, but no birdies hurt my chances today.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,803 ✭✭
    I’ve bet twice in my life on the course (I’m not a gambler but gave in during my younger years). The first time I got thoroughly taken advantage of by a sandbagger. Apparently a “7” who swung like a plus and shot 74 from the tips on the hardest course in the area.

Naturally, the second time I bet was against that same ****, straight up this time. I got my money back.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.

Well, I lost my a.. twice now, not a lot of money though, but I am taking a break till I get some game. Last time was encouraging as I shot a 42, so it might be coming back. When the new irons get dialed in, then I want some of my change back!!

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • Jon HJon H Members Posts: 1,633 ✭✭

From a few bucks in a quota to a club Calcutta, it really doesn't matter, without anything on the line it is just a practice round.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
    Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
    Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
    Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
    Newport 2 Select
  • GolfWithdrawalsGolfWithdrawals Woodstock, GeorgiaMembers Posts: 335 ✭✭

I usually don't play for money because my good friends aren't as good and I would feel bad if I took their money. I played a small money game last weekend though with some new friends who are good golfers and had a streak of 5 birdies in a row at one point. I shot -3 and could have easily shot lower. Playing for money allowed me to not think about score and I found a new kind of focus that I hadn't had before. It was awesome. All 4 of us were raving about how much fun the round was. I played again on Monday, but this time for nothing, and it wasn't anywhere near as fun and I couldn't focus or play well.

Driver: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 deg. Aldila Rogue Black 70x
    3-Wood: Titleist 917 F2 13.5 deg. Diamana Ltd. D+ White 80x
    2-Hybrid: Cobra Baffler
    4-iron: Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi Shaft: XP 115 Stiff
    PW thru 5-iron: Mizuno MP18 MB Shaft: XP 115 Stiff
    50, 54, 58 Wedges: Vokey Sm6
    Putter: MannKrafted Handmade Rattler 360g
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 441 ✭✭
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,854 ✭✭

We play 60 a man twice a week
    3 different bets. All designed to keep you in it even if you have a few blow up holes. Medal score is of no interest to a bunch of guys playing with caps ranging from 2 to 26.
    20 for skins. Low net skins. 1/2 a stroke per hole max. ie an 18 capping making 3 on a par 3 cannot tie a guy making a birdie. High guys often when their skins on the par 3's - which are all beasts
    20 for stableford total points. Payout top 3 guys. We usually have 8-24 guys in. -1 for double or worse etc.
    20 bucks for blind 2 man net better ball. This is always fun as you have to grab your partner, hoping you don't get a guy that had a bad day and see where your score falls
    GOLF is only golf when you are grinding. It's funny. All the guys in our weekly betting do well in events. Why? Used to the pressure, no raking away 3 footers, no preferred lies, OB balls mean a re-load etc etc

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,277 ✭✭

I can’t remember the last time I drew back a club without something on the line.

Skins, Nassau’s, greenies... I’m in.

• vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭

As I have gotten older (30s) I've learned golf has more meaning when there is money on the line.
    If I have any golf buddies or people I know in local tournaments or qualifiers, we will always throw some side action to really get us focused... or break us LOL

Cobra LTD PRO 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60X
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 404 ✭✭

I guess I'm the odd man out here. Playing for money has never made me play better - or worse - in any significant way. I think this is because I came from a background of playing other sports (mostly individual sports) very competitively and none of those ever had a betting component. To me, golf is just another outlet for competition so I can get into that mode with money on the line or not. My intro to golf was with buddies who were 1) very competitive, too, and 2) reasonably strict about the rules, and that's always been my mode of play to this day.

Then again, I've never played for any amount of money that was "significant" in any way. I think I've maxed out at $20 and most typically it was for who'd pay for coffees or beers after the round.

• Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,504 ✭✭

A small wager always makes it more interesting (and fun IMO). Sucks on the days you donate, feels good when you clean sweep. $1/dot, most 3-putts buys the pitcher, small dollar nassaus, etc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file