Spieth back to old Driver

Jeffyr11Jeffyr11 Denver, COMembers Posts: 619 ✭✭
Thought that it was interesting to see Jordan Speith went back to his old driver to start the year.
Taylor Made M5 10.5* w/ Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70 TX
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* w/ Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 TX
Taylor Made M2 Tour 19* w/ Project X Hzrdus T1100 95 X
PXG 0311X Gen 2 (3) w/ Tensei CK White 90 X
Mizuno JPX919 Tour (5-P) w/ Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/ 54S/ 58L w/ DG S400
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Comments

• Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,499 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 10:57pm #2
    Jeffyr11 wrote:

Thought that it was interesting to see Jordan Speith went back to his old driver to start the year.

I thought he took the TS2 out last year after one tournament because it wasn't spinny enough http://www.golfwrx.c...ieth-2018-witb/
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Jeffyr11Jeffyr11 Denver, COMembers Posts: 619 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Jeffyr11 wrote:

I thought he took the TS2 out last year after one tournament because it wasn't skinny enough http://www.golfwrx.c...ieth-2018-witb/

Just hard to believe with how much hype has been given towards the new Titleist drivers and they can't get him to stick with it.
    Taylor Made M5 10.5* w/ Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70 TX
    Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* w/ Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 TX
    Taylor Made M2 Tour 19* w/ Project X Hzrdus T1100 95 X
    PXG 0311X Gen 2 (3) w/ Tensei CK White 90 X
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour (5-P) w/ Project X LZ 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/ 54S/ 58L w/ DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Jeffyr11 wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Jeffyr11 wrote:

I thought he took the TS2 out last year after one tournament because it wasn't skinny enough http://www.golfwrx.c...ieth-2018-witb/

Just hard to believe with how much hype has been given towards the new Titleist drivers and they can't get him to stick with it.

He'll get into it in the next few months. Spieth is a little slow to change into the new equipment. Either way, Titleist won this week's driver count, ball count, and iron count. They've gotta be really happy no matter what driver Spieth is playing.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX Posts: 3,510 ClubWRX
    Its because the ts stuff is horrible.

Dont buy it.

Just joking.

His game is off, it isnt the clubs. It's all in his head
    Ping G410 lst tensei  blue/tm m5
    Tm m5 3/5 wood
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Mizuno jpx 919 hot metal pro 6-gw
    Tm milled grind 54/58
    taylormade my spider 
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,119 ✭✭
    Jeffyr11 wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Jeffyr11 wrote:

I thought he took the TS2 out last year after one tournament because it wasn't skinny enough [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1709038-jordan-spieth-2018-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ieth-2018-witb/[/url]

Guys at that level aren’t looking for 3 yards. He’s looking for more fairways. Lower spin equals wider dispersion most times.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,251 ✭✭
    He is a total mess upstairs right now.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,513 ClubWRX
    Titleist is #1 driver being played this week. Don’t think they are concerned.
    Any combination of 14 of the clubs below make up the bag at any given time:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff 
    Titleist TS3 16.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 - PW Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 4 - PW AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 58-12D, 60-12D
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport.
    Titleist Pro V1X

Others:
    Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff, Taylormade R7 425 TP, Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood, Ping Anser 35 inch brass (old), Cleveland Designed By blade putter, Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser black

GO VOLS!
  • Smitty120Smitty120 MDMembers Posts: 452 ✭✭
    TS drivers are great and have impressed me and made me switch but.... The TS drivers have been out now. The new TM and Callaway and others are just showing up for the tour guys. Tour Vans are not present on the Hawaii swing. Once other OEM’s have the chance to get the drivers in players hands and fitted I am interested to see what the driver count looks like at that time.

Epic Flash SZ Triple - Tensei Pro White 70TX

EF SZ 15* - Tensei Pro White 80TX

18' UT  21* - ADDI 95X

19' Apex Pro DOT 4-PW - X-100

MD4 RAW 52, 58 - S-400

Toulon Garage Atlanta Stroke Lab

19' TP5

• GolfBum82GolfBum82 Major Winner Members Posts: 734 ✭✭
    How does a normal civilian get access to the Darrell equipment survey?
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,195 ✭✭
    edited Jan 13, 2019 3:01am #11
    Spieth = plop.
    GolfBum82 wrote:

Contact Darrell.
  • LemondeLemonde Members Posts: 745 ✭✭

GolfBum82 wrote:

Contact Darrell.

You’re just on fire now!
    Driver - TM M5 Tour 435 10.5 Tensei Stock Orange X
    On Order - TM Original One Mini 13.5 Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
    Fairway - Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 
    Hybrid - TM M6 19 Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
    Irons - W/S C300 Forged 5-GW KBS Tour V XStiff
    Wedge - Mizuno S18 56
    Wedge - TM Hi Toe 58
    Putter - Rife Phenom.Z 34”
  • MCozMCoz Napa, CAMembers Posts: 887 ✭✭
    It has been known for over a month that Titleist was going to spend what it needed to get the driver numbers this year. so this week is not a surprise. They are THE company to pay inducement dollars to play their drivers this year.

While in the past they were only paying for Ball-Shoes-gloves. They are putting a lot of effort and money into the TS drivers for tour numbers counts. The issue is that while in the past the Titleist drivers were more accurate than long. They want to break out of that image. The early problem for them is that the TS series is much less accurate than their drivers of the past and while they seem to have gotten more competitive in distance they are not longer than the new stuff of TM, Callaway and Ping.

And now they are more "directionally challenged". I have played with some bombers who have tried them out and have quickly gone back to what they were playing previously. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks on tour. If money rules it will be interesting to see.
    DRIVER- TaylorMade 2019 M5 - 460 Tour issue/Fuji Evolution 757 Speeder V--S
    3wd- TM 2017 M1 Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 Evolution IV -S
    1i - Cleveland HiBore 16* Tour Dept 3.2 torque S tipped 1" (2-3i replacement)
    Tour 5 - TM RBZ Stg 2 23.5* Fuji MCH 80-S
    Irons 4 & 5-TM M1 Fuji Pro 95i - S ,6 thru 9, PW TM P760 Fujikura Pro 95i-S
    SW- TaylorMade Hi Toe 54* 4-way grind 105 Modus S
    LW- TaylorMade HI TOE- Tour Dept small head, soft heel 4 way grind 60* bent to 59* Steelfiber 110g
    Putter- Bobby Grace-- M.Coz Bandsaw Prototype
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    Spieth needs a taylormade...and a brainectomy.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,587 ✭✭
    MCoz wrote:

It has been known for over a month that Titleist was going to spend what it needed to get the driver numbers this year. so this week is not a surprise. They are THE company to pay inducement dollars to play their drivers this year.

While in the past they were only paying for Ball-Shoes-gloves. They are putting a lot of effort and money into the TS drivers for tour numbers counts. The issue is that while in the past the Titleist drivers were more accurate than long. They want to break out of that image. The early problem for them is that the TS series is much less accurate than their drivers of the past and while they seem to have gotten more competitive in distance they are not longer than the new stuff of TM, Callaway and Ping.

And now they are more "directionally challenged". I have played with some bombers who have tried them out and have quickly gone back to what they were playing previously. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks on tour. If money rules it will be interesting to see.

A blanket statement by a guy with a full cohort of TM stuff in his signature.

I thought that Charles Howell III was pretty straight with his Titleist TS3 driver last fall.
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • chadillac65chadillac65 FloridaMembers Posts: 315 ✭✭
    GolfBum82 wrote:

Straight cash homie
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9* Mitshibishi Tensei Orange 60 TX 45.5 inches
    3 Wood: TaylorMade M4 15* Mitshibishi Tensei White 70 S tipped .5 inches 43.5 inches
    Hybrid: TaylorMade Gapr Mid 18* KBS Prototype 95 S+ 41 inches
    Irons: TaylorMade P760 4-P / Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedge: TaylorMade Mill Grind Raw 56* / DG S400 TaylorMade High Toe 50*, 60* / DG S400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Trillium 
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,346 ✭✭

GolfBum82 wrote:

Contact Darrell.

Which one?

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • ShowMeShowMe Members Posts: 484 ✭✭
    edited Jan 13, 2019 9:09am #19
    BrianMcG wrote:

GolfBum82 wrote:

Contact Darrell.

Which one?

Nice!
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS3 9.5* Diamana D+ Limited 70X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 13.5* [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Diamana D+ Limited 80X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 18* [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Diamana D+ Limited 80X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping i210 5-UW Steelfiber i80 S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping Glide 2.0 SS 56* Steelfiber i80 S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scottie Newport M2[/font]
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,119 ✭✭
    This thread is funny. He didn’t “ go back “ to the 915. He never left it. He used the TS something for 3 rounds. And drove it poorly even for his standards. There’s no switch back. It was a test that failed.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

MCoz wrote:

While in the past they were only paying for Ball-Shoes-gloves.

Interesting. Titleist never paid driver tee-up money in the past, but now they are? As another poster pointed out, will be neat to see how Titleist’s tee up money works when the Callaway and TaylorMade trucks are at Tour stops. Will Titleist still be number one.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • AThompson_3AThompson_3 Members Posts: 1,418 ✭✭
    Spieth is a head case.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 55S, 60M Project X 6.5
    Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black, Bettinardi BB1F
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5
  • MCozMCoz Napa, CAMembers Posts: 887 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

MCoz wrote:

I thought that Charles Howell III was pretty straight with his Titleist TS3 driver last fall.

Well you can make it what you want. None of what I have said is not true. If you follow what everyone plays you will see and know that I have various clubs from almost all the manufactures in my bag over time including Titleist, Callaway, Cleveland, Srixon, MacGregor, Bobby Jones Golf, Cobra, Ping and more. Unless you work for Acushnet, I would wager I may have more of their clubs in my house than you do. Only recently I have I ever had this much TM gear in my bag. I will be at the PGA Show in a week and a half. So this line up could be subject to change. I have some pretty specific playing goals that are of the utmost importance to me and while I am close to many people at the major golf equipment companies beyond TM, they know that in the end I am about using what works best for me to reach my goals. I will be testing a lot of equipment at the Show (and TM is not there this year), if something is better I will switch. It is all about the results.

I am sure that Titleist will have good fits. But this new series has been talked about as being stronger distances more competitive but not necessarily as controllable and that is coming from others. We'll see. I will be doing some testing on the new Titleist Fairways in the near future along with new models from Callaways and Cobras maybe more.
    DRIVER- TaylorMade 2019 M5 - 460 Tour issue/Fuji Evolution 757 Speeder V--S
    3wd- TM 2017 M1 Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 Evolution IV -S
    1i - Cleveland HiBore 16* Tour Dept 3.2 torque S tipped 1" (2-3i replacement)
    Tour 5 - TM RBZ Stg 2 23.5* Fuji MCH 80-S
    Irons 4 & 5-TM M1 Fuji Pro 95i - S ,6 thru 9, PW TM P760 Fujikura Pro 95i-S
    SW- TaylorMade Hi Toe 54* 4-way grind 105 Modus S
    LW- TaylorMade HI TOE- Tour Dept small head, soft heel 4 way grind 60* bent to 59* Steelfiber 110g
    Putter- Bobby Grace-- M.Coz Bandsaw Prototype
    MCoz wrote:

gvogel wrote:

MCoz wrote:

Well you can make it what you want. None of what I have said is not true. If you follow what everyone plays you will see and know that I have various clubs from almost all the manufactures in my bag over time including Titleist, Callaway, Cleveland, Srixon, MacGregor, Bobby Jones Golf, Cobra, Ping and more. Unless you work for Acushnet, I would wager I may have more of their clubs in my house than you do. Only recently I have I ever had this much TM gear in my bag. I will be at the PGA Show in a week and a half. So this line up could be subject to change. I have some pretty specific playing goals that are of the utmost importance to me and while I am close to many people at the major golf equipment companies beyond TM, they know that in the end I am about using what works best for me to reach my goals. I will be testing a lot of equipment at the Show (and TM is not there this year), if something is better I will switch. It is all about the results.

I am sure that Titleist will have good fits. But this new series has been talked about as being stronger distances more competitive but not necessarily as controllable and that is coming from others. We'll see. I will be doing some testing on the new Titleist Fairways in the near future along with new models from Callaways and Cobras maybe more.

I can believe what you are saying.

For me TS3 competed on centres strikes but seemed less forgiving than Callaway, Taylormade and Ping. The sound also isn’t great.

I love Titleist and really wanted to bag the new driver but it just wasn’t as as good as other drivers. That said if someone paid me to play it I am sure I could make it work.
  • FOOTJOY16FOOTJOY16 Members Posts: 756 ✭✭
    I think it's more the shaft than anything. He has not driven the ball well since he went to the IZ shaft.. just my observation.
    Titleist TS4 8.5 GD Ad-GP 
    Titleist TS3  15.0
    Currently iron shopping...
    Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
    Scotty Newport Button Back or
    Scotty Select 1/500 Newport
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,348 ✭✭
    I dont think any company makes crappy equipment, might not fit someone's eye. Speith is in his own head, something has to give.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,267 ClubWRX
    I haven’t seen any consensus discussion saying the new lineup is far less accurate than the 915/917 lineup. Can anyone point to players really saying that? Spieth has always had a hard time hitting any driver accurately — his entire career. He would hit a Ping sideways. He always has been a scrambler.

The only real surprise I’ve heard is how most pros prefer the TS3 over the TS2 in driver, but those same guys opt for the TS2 in fairway woods. The only other thing I have heard is the TS lineup is the longest and most forgiving on off-center strikes of any Titleist driver ever made.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • BrockPSUBrockPSU Members Posts: 244 ✭✭
    The way Jordan has been for the last 2 years outside of the masters events shouldn't warrant a case on the new drivers. He benched his 009 last year as well if I remember correctly. Wouldn't be surprised to see his consistency in his bag to keep changing if he keeps playing like the way he has been.
    TS3 10.5 AD DI 6x
    TS2 16.5 AD DI 8x
    716 T-MB 3 AD DI Hybrid 95x
    716 T-MB 4 Project x 6.5
    716 CB 5-6 Project x 6.5
    716 MB 7-PW Project x 6.5
    SM6 46 F Grind Project x 6.0(in rotation)
    SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 L Grind Project x 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Tour Rat R&D Proto Concept 1
  • ShowMeShowMe Members Posts: 484 ✭✭

MCoz wrote:

gvogel wrote:

MCoz wrote:

I can believe what you are saying.

For me TS3 competed on centres strikes but seemed less forgiving than Callaway, Taylormade and Ping. The sound also isn’t great.

I love Titleist and really wanted to bag the new driver but it just wasn’t as as good as other drivers. That said if someone paid me to play it I am sure I could make it work.

I’ve had the exact opposite experience. Go figure.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS3 9.5* Diamana D+ Limited 70X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 13.5* [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Diamana D+ Limited 80X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 18* [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Diamana D+ Limited 80X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping i210 5-UW Steelfiber i80 S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping Glide 2.0 SS 56* Steelfiber i80 S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scottie Newport M2[/font]
  • davo32683davo32683 Members Posts: 2,137 ✭✭
    He needs to go back to the old driver and shaft. His driving has been horrendous since he switched to the IZ shaft
    Nothing is safe in my bag!
  • DaltonSTLDaltonSTL St. LouisMembers Posts: 975 ✭✭
    davo32683 wrote:
    He needs to go back to the old driver and shaft. His driving has been horrendous since he switched to the IZ shaft
    Agree with you if I remember right he was using the NV 2KXV Blue. Which I would think is less counter balanced than the IZ.
    -TS3 9.5 Tour AD-TP 6s
    -Rogue SZ 3W VA Slay 75 04
    -PXG 0311X 2 Iron Accra Tour 90i
    -818H2 21* AD-DI 85S
    -MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX LZ 6.0
    -SM7 52* TI S400
    -Hi Toe 58* Nippon 115 
    -Piretti 801 Tour Long Neck