Anyone Ever Shoot Lights-Out After A Prolonged Layoff?

EmperorPenguinEmperorPenguin Members Posts: 1,127 ✭✭
I hurt myself about six weeks ago, pulling a muscle on my upper back when I lifted something too heavy. The immediate pain went away in about two days, but the day after the pain was gone I went to the range and tried hitting shots and ouch! I couldn't hit any shots without feeling pain. I gave it a few days and played golf on my birthday and that, too, proved to be a mistake; my back was stiff and I swung so poorly I couldn't shoot my weight. The day after I decided to take a break from golf. The layoff was about a month, with no practice, and not a club was swung even once.

Just this past Tuesday my buddies and I were playing in our usual annual golf match. My playing partner was trash-talking and I quickly scolded him because I thought my game was completely gone and we would get closed out on all our bets. The morning of the match we all had breakfast together and carpooled to the course. We arrived about ninety minutes before to allow for ample time for warm-up and practice. When I hit my shots the pain was gone and I was hoping that I finally recovered from my upper back injury.

It turned out I was fully recovered. To my surprise, we played very well and closed out our opponents for the front, back and overall. I had not swung a club for at least a month, and suddenly my golf game came back to me so quickly and soon, and I played well.

Anyone ever had a similar experience? Take a long break from golf, and when you finally tee it up, you shoot lights out, when you feel you will play poorly.

Oh well, that's golf.

Comments

• JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,029 ✭✭
    My version of lights out is what some guys here would consider predicate to suicide, but yes, I've played after an injury layoff before to find that everything is rested and pain free, and have had some of my best rounds.
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 - CAMO!
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,101 ClubWRX
    I’m hoping to. I haven played in 3 weeks due to travels and weather. Forecast is rain next week too so it will be a month. Plus, I just got a new set of irons that I’ve only had two brief range sessions with. I figure anything could happen once I finally get out.

In the past taking a break from the game has been beneficial. Not a long time away, but a month or so.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 744 ✭✭
    edited Jan 13, 2019 3:28am #4
    I’m usually awful after a lay-off. But years ago, I did break 90 for the first time after not touching a club for 2.5 months.

I seem to do a lot better when all I’m looking for out of my swing is to keep the ball in front of me.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!! Yokosuka, JapanMembers Posts: 1,118 ✭✭
    I didn’t play for 3 months due to deployment. First round back I shot a 75. I have had other times with a layoff and struggled to keep it in the 90’s
    In My Bag
    PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g
    TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3
    TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX
    TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X
    Vokey SM6 58*, 50*
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black/MTB-X
    #insideTMAG 2013
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Devotee of OCD ENGLAND.Members Posts: 1,882 ✭✭
    Around 25 years ago when i was an Assistant Pro i had a couple of months off after an accident. Did literally a few hours practice the day before and then came joint 1st in my home Clubs Pro-am winning £1000.

I also remember going away on Holiday for 2 weeks, and coming back to the club and the boys were having some sort of money game on the Par 3 course. I got roped in, walked to the first (About 135 yards) and slammed it right into the hole for an ace. Lucky or what !

I do think to a certain degree; that if you're really into it and strong mentally - a short lay-off / break can make you stronger / want it more.
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    RIFE Iconic Tour Vault 3 : Flow-Neck - 340g / 34.75"
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball ←NEW 2019 Version→

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry areaMembers Posts: 344 ✭✭
    Usually always do. In MI we all get prolonged layoffs (almost 6 months sometimes) and i have found usually the first few weeks back is when i play my best. For me it has something to do with just thinking about making a smooth swing to make solid contact and not trying to do anything fancy. After the first few weeks i start to get over confidant, swing harder and try "fancy tricks" causing everything to go in the toilet. Then it usually turns into a mental mind f*@# and its like Chris Farley is living in my head screaming "YOU IDIOT!!!!" Then that just makes things worse.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,243 ✭✭
    I haven’t figured it out yet, but since I’ve moved to Ohio and actually had an “off season”, my first round back in the spring the last few years has been no worse than even par to two over.

I guess it’s like I’m rebooting the swing and forgotting any bad habits or swing quirks from the fall. It’s just really “easy” golf the first few rounds of spring.

I’ve been as low as a +2 in the past, so, it’s not completely bizarre scoring for me, but I still think it is a bit odd after a significant amount of time off.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 982 ✭✭
    i've had some good rounds after a layoff, but I attribute it to having no expectations and just playing. I don't expect too much, so have little pressure.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,735 ✭✭
    Always and it's maddening.
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,768 ✭✭
    Yes. IMO it's because expectations are so low, in my case I was simply trying to make solid contact and keep the ball in play. Maybe there's a lesson there?

The tough part is the short game, that's something that usually doesn't work so well after a layoff.
  • EmperorPenguinEmperorPenguin Members Posts: 1,127 ✭✭
    For those of us who often have these good rounds, you wonder what is the point of even practicing? I guess that after playing and practicing all those years you develop fundamental movements that lead to a repeating swing. As someone posted earlier, the layoff would be like rebooting and getting rid of those detrimental viruses (i.e., quick-fixes and gimmicks) and you go back to basics.

Of course, this thread pertains to golfers who have played for quite some time and certainly not for beginners who need to practice.

When I played my good round last Tuesday, I concentrated on my pivot, positioning, rhythm and tempo during my warm-up, and on the course I trusted my swing and had only one swing thought when I pulled the trigger.

Now that I am better, I am dubious about going back to my routine of practicing like I used to, fearing that my game will get worse if I do.
  • EmperorPenguinEmperorPenguin Members Posts: 1,127 ✭✭
    jdl wrote:

The tough part is the short game, that's something that usually doesn't work so well after a layoff.

I think you are right. I did putt well, but several times I had simple chips which I duffed.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,243 ✭✭

For those of us who often have these good rounds, you wonder what is the point of even practicing? I guess that after playing and practicing all those years you develop fundamental movements that lead to a repeating swing. As someone posted earlier, the layoff would be like rebooting and getting rid of those detrimental viruses (i.e., quick-fixes and gimmicks) and you go back to basics.

Of course, this thread pertains to golfers who have played for quite some time and certainly not for beginners who need to practice.

When I played my good round last Tuesday, I concentrated on my pivot, positioning, rhythm and tempo during my warm-up, and on the course I trusted my swing and had only one swing thought when I pulled the trigger.

Now that I am better, I am dubious about going back to my routine of practicing like I used to, fearing that my game will get worse if I do.

After 30 years of playing and 25 of that being pretty serious about the game, I honestly think that if I spent 90% of my practice time with just my driver, wedges, and putter I would be just fine and never have my game go backwards....at least until age really starts to get me.

My full swing after so many years is pretty much set in stone. I find as I get a bit older that I really need to mainly keep on top of short approaches, chipping, pitching, and putting to keep my scores low. 120 yards and in is the main focus for me now.

Probably most importantly, If I don’t spend some decent time each week with my lob wedge I get a little yippy and my scoring suffers quickly. I’ve found The nerves connecting the brain to the hands aren’t quite the same anymore.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭
    I had a knee injury at work in April which required surgery. Long story short, workers comp decided to take the slow lane and I had surgery the 3rd week of july. 6 weeks later I played my first round since early April,,, I shot an 80. (it's been down hill since).....
  • vbbvbb Members Posts: 1,507 ✭✭
    One of my golf buddies. First day of our golf trip last year. He hadn't been playing, I'd easily put in twice the rounds that he had. He's usually a few strokes better than me but we have competitive matches. A score around 80 will usually take all the bets between us. I'm figuring he's good for upper 80s on this day due to his time away and the fact that it is an unfamiliar course, so I'm thinking anything below 85 is going to win. Finally got him where I want him.

He smokes me with a 1-over par 73.

After his 37 on the front we stopped even talking about the score because I didn't want it to be in his head. I kept grinding just to make sure he kept grinding, but I had the scorecard and knew I was getting my clock cleaned.

The wallet got a little light on that first day.
    Cobra Bio Cell 10.5* stock (R) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3W stock (S) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy stock (S) shaft
    JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    MP-T4 52* & 54*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport mallet
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,335 ✭✭
    Hasn’t happened to me, but it certainly did for my husband. He’s got peripheral artery disease and it got bad enough that he needed a femoral artery bypass. Didn’t play for nearly three months, it’s not a recovery you want to rush, and played his first round without so much as chipping and putting. He was an occasionally break 80 guy and he shot 74.

It didn’t last long, of course, but it was fun to watch after all he’d been through.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • Spongeb0bSpongeb0b Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭
    All the time. Ask my wife.
  • PMACGolfPMACGolf Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    After a 7-day cruise, I car back and took second place in the county championship, did the same thing the next year
  • iKOH423iKOH423 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I haven't played since Sept/Oct. Mostly due to weather here in the Midwest. I guarantee that my first round out for the year will be the best. A natural swing that hasn't been sweat over much during the winter months, trying to be perfect and it will be smooth. Then throughout the summer i will think too much and it will get worse and worse as i wonder why I am getting leakage too the right..
    Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 Deg.
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15 Deg
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic 3 19 Deg.
    Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 4-AW
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged Wedges 56/60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 18' Select Newport 2
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,498 ClubWRX
    kejoal11 wrote:

I didn’t play for 3 months due to deployment. First round back I shot a 75. I have had other times with a layoff and struggled to keep it in the 90’s

Thank you for your service to our country!
  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭
    It's not that uncommon for me to play really well the first time back after an extended lay-off. I'm usually pretty conservative in how I play and my scoring expectations are usually low.

It's that second round back that usually is a real doozy ...
    Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • jpking17jpking17 Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 3:12pm #23
    Some of my best rounds come in the winter...when I have no swing thoughts, nothing I am working on, and have zero expectations. Just happy to be out on the course.
  • taylormade113taylormade113 Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    This just happened within the last 2 weeks. Haven't played in a month, no swing thoughts, laughing the entire way around and boom 72 (even) with a boogie on the last (3putt). I am normally in the 70's but this was not expected at all. The part that was the shock was just the ease of the 72, no work, as in I was actually thinking that was the biggest # I could have shot. No miraculous recoveries or 50" bombs just fairway, green and ho hum 2 putt. I was even on the par 5's and they are normally my bread and butter. I truly am a believer that getting away from the game is as good for me as grinding on the range sometimes. There are times to bang balls and then there are times to just set the clubs down and go fishing. When I do practice, if I feel off and cant get in a grove within the first 10-15 balls, I will normally walk away. I don't want to ingrain a bad thought that might take me a month to recover from. Just not worth it with the infrequency that I am playing now.
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,726 ClubWRX
    Yep. 2008 had three surgeries in a one year period, one of them major abdominal surgery. Long story short, did not touch a club for over a year. First round back with only one 30 minute range session the day before: 69 at Landmark in Hemet with my son and one of his buddies from the high school golf team.

They were not pleased. LOL

Like others have said, you are just going completely on feel and activating your "inner athlete." Also, the course was easy: 6500, 71.0/125(?)

And then, as others have said also: The next two months were ****. I think it took me another 20 rounds (at least) to break par again.
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • okie21okie21 Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Absolutely. usually works this way. But chipping and pitching is a struggle every time.

For some reason, this is when my putting is the best, which seems to be abnormal?
    Titleist [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]917 D2 9.5 deg (Diamana White 70 S)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 718 AP1s 4-GW (DG AMT White S300), 1 1/4" over with 1/4" intervals 8-9i and shorter[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400) [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM '09 56 deg tour chrome (DG Wedge flex)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Newport 3, fresh from Custom Shop, std length and lie[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vice Pro Plus [/font]
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 775 ✭✭
    edited Jan 16, 2019 5:14am #27
    Ugh....No. My prolonged period after injury was 9 years and I sucked first round back! Great course and I threw a 98 on the card.

I need repetition but admire those who have fundamentals so ingrained that they can pick em up or put em down anytime and still score somewhat. I can always hit the ball but the short game turns to s*** fast :-(
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • justwellsyjustwellsy Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    I've played very well after long layoffs and I think it's because my expectations are so much lower that I play a lot looser. If I've played 4 times in a week previous to a round, I'll expect to play great. It's all about expectations
    Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
    Mizuno MP-64 3-PW (DG X-100)
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    Ball: Apply for position
  • cwglumcwglum Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    Had 1 of my best rounds ever as the first round of the season, three months after 2nd degree shoulder separation on my left shoulder. Really had to adjust my through swing path way left to compensate for pain, and for whatever reason on that day I barely missed. I was happy just to be on the course and ended up playing great.
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef Members Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I'm always surprised by the first round of the year. Once it was lights out, but most of the time those rounds have been really pleasantly surprising...like one of those "what if" rounds...
    • What if I had practiced throughout the winter (applies to me because I live in New England)?
    • What if I had just warmed up longer?
    • What if I didn't have that beer? LOL
  • EdslandEdsland Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Im far from a good golfer, winters in Illinois can be long and cold. I have a golf dome pretty close that I like to smash balls at least once a week. My son lives in South Carolina aka golfers year round, and as a retired phone guy whose a school bus driver now we went for a visit last years spring break. 1st hole I birdied, 2nd par 3 rd birdied then I woke up and became myself. To put it in proper perspective I play at least once a week with friends or myself and I only had 2 more birdies the rest of the year.