Anyone Ever Shoot Lights-Out After A Prolonged Layoff?

Comments

• DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,374 ✭✭
    When we have a bad winter, my first round of the year (often after 4 months of not hitting a ball) is almost always my low round of the year.

There's something to be said for having no expectations, aiming for the middle, and not trying to do anything special because the swing is "rusty".
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 14.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • Matchplay10033Matchplay10033 Members Posts: 626 ✭✭
    2 weeks ago after my longest layoff in 3 years I went out and played on a day where the wind was howling 30-40mph... with gusts in the 50's. The course was soaked so if you kept the ball low it would just hit and plug... super short with no roll. My buddy shoots an 88 and is scratch I am a 3.5 right now. I shot a 75..... I honesty felt this was my best round ever under the conditions and not touching a club for weeks.
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 404 ✭✭
    Lights out as in a top-10, top-20 round ever? No.

But if you mean in a top 25% of all rounds, sure. Something about playing with low pressure and low expectations can make the result decent to pretty darn good.

That said, over the long haul, I play at my consistent best when I play and especially practice regularly. More often than not, playing after a long layoff leads to mediocre results for me.
  • tsbrewerstsbrewers Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I played a lot as a kid, probably multiple rounds a day for a few years, but the last 20 years I have been averaging only about 1-2 rounds a year. So now when I go play, I typically shoot around 90+/-, but 2 years ago I was playing at resort golf course with my wife's family and I ended up shooting 74. Since none of her family really play at all, I was really relaxed and just swinging easy. I also made a very conscious effort to "play the course" like instead of trying to drive that 350y par 4, I would hit a long iron off the tee and leave myself 100 yards in, stuff like that. Everything just clicked that day.

BUT, that one round kinda gave me the itch to start playing again, so now a year and half later, I have all new clubs, bags, shoes, etc. and my wife just bought me a membership at the closest club so I can join the league. Hoping to be able to get my scores back down there this year.
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,334 ✭✭
    gripandrip wrote:

i've had some good rounds after a layoff, but I attribute it to having no expectations and just playing. I don't expect too much, so have little pressure.

This is it, for me at least.

I travel frequently for work, anywhere from 2-4 weeks at a time. I’m usually offshore, so no golf at all. When I come back, I almost always play 3-5 strokes better than average for the first round. I have no expectations and don’t get frustrated over bad shots. I just chase the ball around and add it up when I’m done.
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,352 ✭✭
    Ever hear of the expression "I think I'll take 3 weeks off and then quit"? I think this topic is where this saying comes from.
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • TServosTServos Members Posts: 417 ✭✭
    If by “lights out” you mean hitting shanks with every club between a putter and three wood....then yes.
    Ping
  • mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I can go 3 weeks without playing and all my bad habits are gone and play well. We had a lot of rain in August and early September so I didn't pick up a club for about 6 weeks and I lost my game entirely. Wasn't until earlier this month until it came back.
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 926 ✭✭
    Yes.... tomorrow
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • KCMO_HackerKCMO_Hacker Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    gripandrip wrote:

i've had some good rounds after a layoff, but I attribute it to having no expectations and just playing. I don't expect too much, so have little pressure.

This has been my experience
    Titleist TS2 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 R-flex (-1/2”)
    Titleist TS2 15° Tensei AV Blue 65 R-flex (-1/2”)
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Tensei Blue 70 (-1/2”)
    Titleist 818 H1 21° Tensei Blue 70 (-1/2”)
    5i-PW - Titleist 718 AP1 Tensei Red AMC (-1/2”)
    Titleist 718 AP1 48° Tensei Red AMC (-1/2”)
    52.8° Vokey SM6 F Grind (-1/2”)
    56.10° Vokey SM6 S Grind (-1/2”)
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M (35”)
    ProV1x
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    After 6 months off following shoulder surgery, my first time out I shot 73. Only 20 putts was a huge help.
  • spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White! San DiegoMembers Posts: 380 ✭✭
    In terms of ballstriking, yes. Happens all the time. I'll take a month off then hit the ball near or at my best.

In terms of scoring, doesn't happen often. Short game and putting are often very rusty, and those are the aspects most related to shooting a low score.
    TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
    Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
    TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
    Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*
    Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
    Bettinardi Queen B #8
    TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego[/size]
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 926 ✭✭

Yes.... tomorrow
    this was a total falsehood
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,993 ✭✭
    When I was a young man, first round of the spring after a 2 month layoff. The weather was bad. First time I ever broke 40 for 9 holes. I think the key was just trying to make solid contact. No trying to work the ball or hit shots fancier than my ability. Just hitting putts and chips near the hole. No hero shots.
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 444 ✭✭
    I once took a 6 week layoff for a move and a vacation and came back after 1 range session to shoot my all time best 76. I think being relaxed and no expectations helps a lot for racking up pars and playing within abilities.
    Golfing in Finland!
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 823 ✭✭
    The bad habits are gone, no expectations makes the game easier.
  • kg92leftykg92lefty Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    Last year didnt touch a club all Feb, March or April because I was frustrated with my game (mainly putting). Played first week of May and shot 69 on a course rated 76.8. Had a 3 putt and a 4 putt. Thought I found something and played a bunch the rest of the month and even signed up for a tournament again. The old ways quickly returned. I've played 4 times since then.
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer Members Posts: 3,009 ✭✭
    Don't know what a prolonged layoff is but I have had some fantastic rounds after having not touched a club for 2 weeks. Sometimes you just need to let your mind and body reset.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    Didnt golf in a month. Played 9 today and shot 2 over. Hit every fairway and should have probably shot even lower. I usually shoot in the 80's btw.
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,993 ✭✭
    I got out today after a couple weeks of not playing. Hit the first 5 fairways and greens. Crazy game we play.
  • N8dogg2669N8dogg2669 ClubWRX Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Some of the best rounds I have ever had are the first or second one of the year. It's like I spend all winter forgetting all my bad habits for a couple rounds. Then they smack me in the face and rear their ugly head again. lol
  • JCKHJCKH Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Zero expectations and less swing thoughts
  • dwp10mmdwp10mm Members Posts: 248 ✭✭
    Add me to this list. Monsoon season stopped long enough here in Ohio so I could get out yesterday. Range was closed so no warm up. Started with a smooth 41 on the front. Then came the back. Holed out a wedge on the par 5 for an eagle. First eagle in 30 years for me. Ended with a 40 on the back. After no golf for 7 weeks, it was a fantastic day. Best 18 hole round ever.
    Cobra F8 Tour Length with Tensei Blue
    Titleist 913fd 13 degree
    Titleist 913f 17 degree
    Titleist 913H 21 degree
    Cobra Fly Z+ 4-PW KBS Tour S
    Cobra Black Tour Trusty 54, 60
    Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 34/350
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers Posts: 845 ✭✭
    I did about a week and a half ago. Had a minor injury last fall that kept me off the course from late October.... By the time I was "healed" the weather had already turned for the worst and what few nice days we had were always days I was busy with work. Played 18 holes right after the first of the year and it was terrible. Last week I went to the course. Warmed up with about 30 range balls (did about 5 minutes of putting too) and took off.

I started on 10 which is a 590 yard par 5 into the wind. Put my second shot into the water and made a really good bogey. Bogeyed the next two holes. Then drained a long putt on 13 for par. Whatever happened to my putter on hole 13 stayed with me the rest of the round. I drained everything and ended the round with 26 putts. I don't think I've ever scrambled or putted as well as I have for those 16 holes. Ended up shooting 75 including even par on the front (my back).
    GO DAWGS
  • pheenomz4774pheenomz4774 Members Posts: 907 ✭✭
    I havent played 18 holes in about 2 months because of the birth of my 2nd child. Did get one nine hole round in and a couple of range sessions and just had my personal all-time best 74 (mostly because of a chip-in eagle on 11).

I dont know if that counts as a prolonged layoff for those folks up north going through a real winter.
    Back to all Ping...
    G400 Driver 9.0°
    G30 3 Wood 15.5°, G 5 Wood 18.5°
    i210 4 - PW
    Glide 50°/54° SS, 58° ES
    Sigma 2 Valor (B.ig U.gly M.allet)
  • buckrogers71buckrogers71 Members Posts: 281 ✭✭
    Not sure I would call it total lights out, but I have been hitting balls here and there over the winter nothing crazy, played 1x in december with a bad back and about 3 weeks ago on a water logged course. Played saturday in 40* damp conditions. Carded a 77 with a quad, 2 doubles, and 2 bogeys. Not sure if that constitutes lights out, but I felt pretty good about it.
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Members Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    edited Feb 26, 2019 4:39pm #58
    I played baseball as a kid and at age 67 if my grandson pitches a baseball to me I can still make good contact. I took up golf at age 40 and after the winter I need at least 6 practice sessions and a practice round to have a chance at breaking 90.
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,230 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2019 9:19pm #59
    About six years ago, I had a 19 HDCP. Got in a couple of early spring rounds, and then nothing until early May. My wife and I went out to play nine on a shorter course. I shot just three over, carding an early double bogie followed later by back-to-back birdies.

All proud of myself, I drove into work that Monday and got rear-ended about a block from my parking garage. The jolt sprained my back, and I was out of golf for eight weeks getting physical therapy. I just skipped the rest of the season.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 524 ✭✭
    I wouldn't call it a long layoff in the real sense, but I hadn't played for 6 weeks until last weekend. Which for me is long time between rounds.

Went out and payed the best round I've my best round since probably May 2018. And on top of that, the weather was crappy 45F, gloomy, a 10ish mph breeze and off and on sprinkles. Certainly not my typical preferred weather! Go figure. Like someone else mentioned, I didn't have any expectations at all. So maybe thats it.
    Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • The Real PacmanThe Real Pacman Members Posts: 78 ✭✭

Yes, this happened to me this year. Matched my lowest score ever this January, coming off of ACL Reconstruction on a very tough course. It was my first round since the surgery, probably 3 months since I had played.