SLDR or Jetspeed or Aeroburner

Double Gee ·  
Double GeeDouble Gee Members  1081WRX Points: 99Posts: 1,081 Bunkers
Ok.

I've never owned a TaylorMade driver and certainly do not want to buy any driver, let alone TaylorMade, at such crap big prices.

I enjoy buying second hand or more budget priced new clubs that actually perform. My current Benross Evolution driver at £179 is a fun club to hit and with a senior flex shaft, it is up there as good as any I've tried.

That being said, I fancy a cheapie to hit over winter and spring to just 'remind' my gamer that it needs to perform 😉

I've read some strong reviews on the SLDR-C model, not the SLDR and Jet & Aero.

Anyone tried a 3 who can help with which one would be most fun?

I'm 64, senior flex my drive ssr is mid 80s and drive well and straight, probably the best part of my game .
Posted:

Comments

• SammyShafSammyShaf Members  381WRX Points: 118Posts: 381 Greens
    Aero>jet>sldr

Aero and jetspeed came stock longer than most. SLDR is great with high clubhead speed and consistently middling the driver face. I liked the stock shaft in aero vs jetspeed. I worked in golf retail fitting the masses when these all came out.
    Posted:
    If anything can go right, it might!
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Members  1081WRX Points: 99Posts: 1,081 Bunkers
    SammyShaf wrote:

Aero>jet>sldr

Aero and jetspeed came stock longer than most. SLDR is great with high clubhead speed and consistently middling the driver face. I liked the stock shaft in aero vs jetspeed. I worked in golf retail fitting the masses when these all came out.

Brilliant Sammy. Nice insight.

Sadly in the UK I can't find the SLDR-C model but plenty of normal ones .

Regards to the Aeroburner, any ideas how the shaft plays? My go to shaft is a Recoil F2 or Kuro Kage A flex.
    Posted:
  • SammyShafSammyShaf Members  381WRX Points: 118Posts: 381 Greens
    It was a matrix shaft that you will easily handle if you play the kuro kage
    Posted:
    If anything can go right, it might!

I remember reading a thread about adjusting a standard SLDR to make it super duper.

Can anyone give me the link as I've tried to search but can't find it.

Thanks

Garry
    Posted:
  • ghoul31ghoul31 Members  477WRX Points: 72Posts: 477 Greens
    My swing speed is about the same as yours

I have have a SLDR 430 12 Degree with senior flex shaft

I gained a lot of distance with it
    Posted:
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members  2650WRX Points: 514Handicap: 11Posts: 2,650 Titanium Tees
    Aeroburner! I've owned all 3.
    Posted:
    • XXIO Prime 10.5*
    • Cobra Max 5w
    • Callaway BB 6h
    • Maltby TE Forged 6 - GW
    • Callaway PM Grind  56*
    • Scotty Fastback

Advertisement
  • averysdadaverysdad Members  1386WRX Points: 249Posts: 1,386 Platinum Tees
    Yep...AB was my fav out of these 3. It’s got an interesting impact sound but oddly enough, it grows on you.
    Posted:
    SammyShaf wrote:

It was a matrix shaft that you will easily handle if you play the kuro kage

So presumably a light flex not regular?

Both recoil and kk shaft don't feel very senior to me, would the regular matrix be okay?
    Posted:
  • MalcMalc Members  260WRX Points: 61Posts: 260 Greens
    Double Gee wrote:

I remember reading a thread about adjusting a standard SLDR to make it super duper.

Can anyone give me the link as I've tried to search but can't find it.

Thanks

Garry

Not sure on the link but if you look up Bobcats posts you will find all you need to know about the SLDR. I still use one myself and i applied his fix but ended up fitting another weight to the toe side but then removing lead tape from further back on the toe side, which i think was his 3rd stage fix. Although it can still get out there, for your swing speed i would really look at the other 2 drivers you mention. They're both very competent. Look for something with enough loft and a shaft flex that can give you some help. Jetspeed and Aero will both be more forgiving than the SLDR.
    Posted:
  • the bishopthe bishop Members  3872WRX Points: 876Posts: 3,872 Titanium Tees
    just curious since it wasn't around that long, but did Jetspeed get much Tour adoption?
    Posted:
    W/S D7 10.5*
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG62 5-P
    W/S PMP 52/56/60
    TM Ardmore 3
  • e-mane-man Members  2172WRX Points: 162Posts: 2,172 Platinum Tees
    Yeah. Bobcat posted a thread called the SLDR fix or something like that. As I recall, in essence, it entailed moving the sliding weight all the way to the toe. I think he said that made it much more forgiving, like the SLDR C.

EDIT -- here is it is. The info is in here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580550-sldr-460-sldr-s-or-other/page__fromsearch__1
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers  2211WRX Points: 302Handicap: 7Posts: 2,211 Platinum Tees
    bobcat wrote:

e-man wrote:

Yeah. Bobcat posted a thread called the SLDR fix or something like that. As I recall, in essence, it entailed moving the sliding weight all the way to the toe. I think he said that made it much more forgiving, like the SLDR C.

EDIT -- here is it is. The info is in here:

The 'SLDR Fix" info can be found in Post #77 of the thread below. Click below and scroll down to #77

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212078-sldr-anonymous-meeting/page__st__60"]SLDR Anonymous Meeting - Equipment - GolfWRX - Page 3[/url]

Makes me want to buy an sldr 430 head and slap one of my favorite shafts in it. Man...seduced by low spin long ball lol
    Posted:
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5
  • krisrodkrisrod Members  95WRX Points: 54Posts: 95 Fairways
    Aeroburner was outrageously long and easy to hit. I just hated the look of it.
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5*
    3 Wood: Taylormade M2 16.5*
    Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI 17*
    Irons: Taylormade PSi 3-PW
    Wedges: Taylormade Hi-Toe 52* and 58*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1
    Bag: Taylormade Tour Stand Bag
  • pup142pup142 The Hacker Members  290WRX Points: 73Handicap: 12Posts: 290 Greens
    Owned all three at one time. Love last years Callaway Epic 100 times better. That club is swing and down the middle.The Jet Speed driver was horrible.
    Posted:
  • BonesawBonesaw Members  539WRX Points: 49Posts: 539 Golden Tee
    Jetspeed4lyfe!!! It looks better than the aeroburner and has a cheesier name to boot.
    Posted:
  • mgolfer7mgolfer7 Members  49WRX Points: 35Posts: 49 Bunkers
    Jetspeed one of the best drivers I've ever had.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • StormsStorms San DiegoMembers  135WRX Points: 89Handicap: 9Posts: 135 Fairways
    Aeroburner is solid, it's in my backup bag and if my m2 cracked tomorrow I'd probably just play it for the next few months no problem. Jetspeed was a good driver but fell victim to the taylormade product cycle and hardly anyone played them for long. SLDR alternates between absolute bombs and drives 30 yds short of your average, don't play it unless you hit driver middle all day.

Since this is going to be a club to tinker with, I'd hunt for a Jetspeed on the bay, I bet one with a senior flex shaft would be absurdly cheap.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rouge Black
    Srixon zU45 20* Graphite Design AD95
    Titleist 585H 21* Titleist 4175
    TaylorMade Psi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour
    TaylorMade EF 52*
    Akira Prototype 58*
    Yes! Callie
  • mootrailmootrail Members  589WRX Points: 116Posts: 589 Golden Tee
    The standard AeroBurner sets up a bit closed, has a long shallow face and a flattened head compared to D shaped Taylormades like the SLDR, R15, etc. It's a long and easy to hit driver, but the head is really light which is combined with a too long 45.75" shaft. They come in both a 12° and a HL version, I'd checked them both out and cut the shaft down a bit. Lots of these around, so a definite first choice.

The JetSpeed aesthetics did not click for many and was a huge bust for TM after the highly successful RBZ campaign. Besides, the new SLDR looked awesome and no one wanted a half-baked looking Jetspeed. It was an OK driver, but I'd take a pass on this one.

The SLDR C has little to do with the original SLDR driver. The C looks like a blown up SLDR S Mini with the Cs sole plate coming directly off the Mini. The 12° might work out perfect for you, it launches the ball easy and high. Not sure why we keep discussing these as the production was limited and and they are not easy to find. You're better off with the more recent price point offerings like the AeroBurner Black and the RBZ Black. The RBZ Black looks to have a modified SLDR C Sole plate and could be an SLDR C in all black guise.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • asw7576asw7576 Members  1094WRX Points: 26Handicap: 25Posts: 1,094 Platinum Tees
    Jetspeed , AeroBurner , SLDR-S .

If I have to pick only one from the three , I choose Jetspeed .
    Posted:
  • T.B.T.B. Members  311WRX Points: 107Handicap: 10Posts: 311 Greens
    Wilson staff has a new driver out. Not adjustable. I’ve hit it a few times and was nice. D7. Good price too. Well under the new normal for drivers.
    Posted:
  • GautamaGautama Members  823WRX Points: 208Handicap: 9Posts: 823 Golden Tee
    I'm also in the aeroburner>jet speed>SLDR camo. I buy a ton of drivers because I'm basically stupid, and the aeroburner is among the best in the past ten years IMO. Are you set on Taylormade? If not, I'd also check out the Ping G25 in that same price range on the used market. GREAT driver.
    Posted:
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom

Advertisement
  • GautamaGautama Members  823WRX Points: 208Handicap: 9Posts: 823 Golden Tee
    I'm also in the aeroburner>jet speed>SLDR camp. I buy a ton of drivers because I'm basically stupid, and the aeroburner is among the best in the past ten years IMO. Are you set on Taylormade? If not, I'd also check out the Ping G25 in that same price range on the used market. GREAT driver.
    Posted:
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • halliedoghalliedog Members  2559WRX Points: 334Handicap: 5.2Posts: 2,559 Titanium Tees
    bobcat wrote:

mootrail wrote:

The standard AeroBurner sets up a bit closed, has a long shallow face and a flattened head compared to D shaped Taylormades like the SLDR, R15, etc. It's a long and easy to hit driver, but the head is really light which is combined with a too long 45.75" shaft. They come in both a 12° and a HL version, I'd checked them both out and cut the shaft down a bit. Lots of these around, so a definite first choice.

The JetSpeed aesthetics did not click for many and was a huge bust for TM after the highly successful RBZ campaign. Besides, the new SLDR looked awesome and no one wanted a half-baked looking Jetspeed. It was an OK driver, but I'd take a pass on this one.

The SLDR C has little to do with the original SLDR driver. The C looks like a blown up SLDR S Mini with the Cs sole plate coming directly off the Mini. The 12° might work out perfect for you, it launches the ball easy and high. Not sure why we keep discussing these as the production was limited and and they are not easy to find. You're better off with the more recent price point offerings like the AeroBurner Black and the RBZ Black. The RBZ Black looks to have a modified SLDR C Sole plate and could be an SLDR C in all black guise.

IMO, the 2015 SLDR-C is the best of all the drivers mentioned by the OP, but as mootrail says, it's become rather difficult to find one now, especially in the very desirable 9.5* loft. Those that own one don't wish to part with it.

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />

Here's 10 of them, (although looks like none of them come with the "highly desirable" head cover):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=taylormade+sldr+c+driver&_sacat=0&rt=nc&Loft=9%2E5&_dcat=115280
    Posted:
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • halliedoghalliedog Members  2559WRX Points: 334Handicap: 5.2Posts: 2,559 Titanium Tees
    bobcat wrote:

mootrail wrote:

The SLDR C has little to do with the original SLDR driver, it's an entirely different clubhead. The C looks like a blown up SLDR S Mini with the Cs sole plate coming directly off the Mini. The 12° might work out perfect for you, it launches the ball easy and high. Not sure why we keep discussing these as the production was limited and and they are not easy to find. You're better off with the more recent price point offerings like the AeroBurner Black and the RBZ Black. The RBZ Black looks to have a modified SLDR C Sole plate and could be an SLDR C in all black guise.

'

Finding a (2015) SLDR-C Driver in 'new or mint condition'' can be rather difficult now, but IMO, it is the best driver mentioned by the OP, (especially in the 9.5* loft and Stiff Flex).

However, that said, you can still find them in 'used condition' on ebay, but 'Buyer Beware', for any that were previously used as 'demo clubs'.

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />

I thought this one looked pretty Minty, actually almost bought it myself on a whim, but that $12.90 shipping has me debating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAYLORMADE-SLDR-C-DRIVER-9-5-DEGREE-LOFT-STIFF-FLEX-RIGHT-HANDED-GOLF-CLUB/352605591711?epid=809538553&hash=item5218ee589f:g:9zYAAOSw8VNcb2On:sc:USPSPriority!44313!US!-1:rk:3:pf:0
    Posted:
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • LemondeLemonde Members  793WRX Points: 115Posts: 793 Golden Tee
    The sldr c has become infamous now due to Bobcats passion for it, heck I almost bought one on the bay yesterday that went for $30 in a mint 12 degree head! Plan was to cut it down to 44 as a 2nd driver fairway finder.
    Posted:
    Driver On Order - Callaway GBB Epic SZ 440 9 Tour Issue - shaft TBD - HZRDUS Red 6.5 62g
    Fairway - Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 
    Hybrid - Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 19 HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 120X
    Wedge Pondering - Hi Toe Bigfoot 60 Indi ATK 50 & 58
    Wedge - Mizuno JDM MP R5 L 50 & 58
    Putter - Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.