2019 Callaway Apex & Apex Pro Iron Pics

easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a HoDetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,293 admin
Some good looking irons here. Some really good looking designs.

Apex

Comments

• Jawyman29Jawyman29 ClubWRX Posts: 211 ClubWRX
    Great comparison pictures!
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Members Posts: 16,267 ✭✭
    Like the shape of the Pros. Have you hit?
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    We have them in our fit cart along with the Flash. All great sticks so far. Apex pros are great looking, soft feel with a bit of a 'click' sound. Remind me of AP2/3 and 760s. More of a players distance iron to me. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • PowerCobra98PowerCobra98 Members Posts: 349 ✭✭
    Standard Apex certainly looks even more squat than the CF16 does. Top line almost looks thicker but it could just be the photo. I'll know soon enough once I get my pre-ordered 19's and hold them next to my CF16's.

Callaway Rogue
    Callaway Epic 2H, 3H
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4i
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5i-PW
    Callaway MD4 48S, 54C, 60C
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 2

• mxskiermxskier Members Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Just hit them today. Absolutely loved them. The Apex 19 compared to the CF 16 looked a touch smaller on the top line. The Apex Pro 19 is going in the bag. Felt great, certainly had a hot-ish sound. I was hitting them with practice (read crap soft) balls in the hitting bay, but was getting 5 mph more than my AP2. Now, my AP2 currently are a 1/4 in short, but I was having better launch and spin numbers, equal/better land angle, and about 12 yards more carry.

Going to get them for sure, and the AP2s are going on the BST. Just need to figure out which site to buy from...
    Ping G400 LST Tour 65S
    Cobra F8+ 3W/5W VA Slay 75
    Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW Oban CT 115
    Vokey SM7 50/54/60 Oban CT 115
    TaylorMade Spider X
    Taylormade TP5
  • matchavezmatchavez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭
    No stickers >>> Stickers

14 Pings. Blueprints on their way.
    Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,212 ClubWRX
    You know, the standard Apex has similarities in looks and sole that remind me of the Legacy Blacks, and that’s a very good thing.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • cmatthews77cmatthews77 Members Posts: 833 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 12:18pm #9
    I hit the new Apex Pro 7i against my current '16 Apex Pro 7i on GC2. My '16 Apex Pro has a Recoil 95 F3 while the Apex Pro '19 had the Elevate 95 shaft (the stock shaft for the CF19 regular Apex). The numbers were VERY similar but I averaged 300 more RPM of spin on the new ones, 1.5 degree higher launch and a yard more peak height. Carry avg. was identical.

I've got to figure out whether the spin and launch difference is more based on that shaft... I really like my Recoil's but I wouldn't say no to that extra bit of spin.

I'm considering replacing my 5-7i to blend with my Apex MBs.
    Callaway
    in search for... Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (Hzrdus Smoke or Hzrdus Yellow HC)
    GBB Epic 3W (14) - Fubuki ax 
    GBB Epic 5W (18) - Project X HZRDUS
    Apex 3 & 4 Hybrid- Kuro Kage
    '16 Apex CF16 (5i), '16 Apex Pro (6,7), '18 Apex MB (8-PW) Recoil 95
    MD3 Black 52 & '19 PM Grind 58
    Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis or X
    * I don't know now-- ball study has everyone goin' crazy!
  • Cheesehead42Cheesehead42 Members Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Anybody have pictures of the GW and SW?

I tend to hit mostly full shots with my SW so looking for a little more forgiveness. Sometimes, the SW from the sets get too chunky for my liking so hopefully they didn't go overboard like others.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]WITB:[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING G400 LST 8.5 Kuro Kage 60g X-Flex[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Px LZ 6.5 2 iron[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC 3i-PW Modus3 120 X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 Wedges: 49,53,59 Modus3 120 X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Custom Black Lab Flow Neck Putter[/font]
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,160 ✭✭
    The standard looks better to my eye than the Pro.
  • YMarkYMark Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭

Standard Apex certainly looks even more squat than the CF16 does. Top line almost looks thicker but it could just be the photo. I'll know soon enough once I get my pre-ordered 19's and hold them next to my CF16's.

When you get the 19s, please post your results with respect to distance / spin. Thanks
    Mark
    Havin fun in the AZ sun
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,257 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 14, 2019 3:57pm #13
    Having both Apex Pro and X Forged seems a bit redundant.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 3-pw
    Vokey 54/60 sm7 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • HifadeHifade Sleepin' on the job. Slacker! Dayton, OHCharter Members Posts: 5,337 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 4:41pm #14
    I have had 3 sets of X-forged. I kept one set and the other two got traded in on a set of '19 Pros. Absolutely love the Pro's at address.....even more so than the X-forged.....and did not think that was possible. Believe it or not....I hit the new standard Apex too far and could not get used to those distances. All things being equal, the '19 Pro's are 8 yards longer than the X-forged for me, but look better and feel almost identical with slightly more forgiveness.
    PING G410 LST 9* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 60S
    PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70S
    TITLEIST 20* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
    CALLAWAY '19 APEX PROS 4-GW - KBS TOUR V "S" (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1's
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,243 ✭✭
    I may be a buyer. I do love my Hogan PTx, but these are really nice.

I may even End up with the bigger version. I’d weaken the lofts about 2 degrees and decrease the offset a bit, but the 7 from the fitting cart looked GREAT at the shop. Slightly chunky top line but that doesn’t bother me. Would Need to see and hit the rest of them to make a decision of course, but very impressed at first contact.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
    bogeypro wrote:

They're similar but distinct enough... I wish they'd stagger the release between X Forged and Apex MB more. I also thought it was a mistake to release the Apex MB with the X-Forged. The Apex MB need to release with the Apex and Apex Pro IMO for better combo'ing.

With that being said.. I'd equate the X-Forged similar to the Titleist CB while I'd sort of equate the Apex Pro to the AP2.
    Callaway
    in search for... Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (Hzrdus Smoke or Hzrdus Yellow HC)

• TitletownTitletown Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I love my Apex CF16's so I don't plan on changing, but these new irons look great. I love Xander's raw finished Pros, I wish Callaway offered those even if at a higher price point. I can't imagine the 19's are going to be much different than the 16's, no matter how much Callaway markets them. I really wish Callaway took a page out of Titleist's book and releases new irons every 2 years and new woods every 2 years. Coming out with the X-Forged and Apex Pro's in back to back years seems redundant. All in all I am sure Callaway will sell a ton of these irons because the Apex can fit virtually every player from 20+ handicap to scratch.

Driver: Callaway Rogue Tour AD DI 6x
    Fairway: Callaway Rogue 4 Wood Tour AD DI 7x
    Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 (3i-9i) KBS $-Taper 120
    Wedges: Callaway MD4 (46.10, 50.12, 54.12, 60.12) KBS $-Taper 120
    Putter: Odyssey Versa 7
    Ball: Chrome Soft X

• mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,179 ClubWRX
    Does anyone have pics of the 4/5/6 iron offset on the Apex CF19's?
    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW-U 4 - Nippon 950 HT
    HONMA TW747V 5-PW - Modus 105
    TAYLORMADE Milled Grind Black 50/54/58 - Modus 115 Wedge Black
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • JDSPGAJDSPGA Members Posts: 405 ✭✭
    bogeypro wrote:

Very different irons. Pros have cup face, stronger lofts, more powerful.

X forged are still a true “players” club.
    Callaway Staff/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond - Helium Proto 4F5
    Callaway Epic Flash 3+ - Elements Gold 6F4
    Callaway Epic Flash 5W - Elements Gold 6F4
    Callaway X Forged UT 21 - Recoil Hybrid Prototype 85F4
    Callaway Apex Pro 19 5-PW - Custom Recoil Prototype 95
    Callaway MD4 50, PM Grind 54, 58 - Custom Recoil 110 
    Directed Force - Stability Shaft
    Chrome Soft X Truvis Yellow

rsz_1yoimy69p_400x400.jpg rsz_1rsz_2pgapro.jpg
  • summerofsummerof Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Lofts are the same for apex pro and x forged
  • moorebaseballmoorebaseball Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    I cannot wait to try the Pros out. They look good!
  • JDSPGAJDSPGA Members Posts: 405 ✭✭
    summerof wrote:

Lofts are the same for apex pro and x forged

Ah yes. Sorry I had it in my head x forged were a bit weaker. But the apex pros will go further. Material and construction differences.
    Callaway Staff/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond - Helium Proto 4F5
    Callaway Epic Flash 3+ - Elements Gold 6F4
    Callaway Epic Flash 5W - Elements Gold 6F4
    Callaway X Forged UT 21 - Recoil Hybrid Prototype 85F4
    Callaway Apex Pro 19 5-PW - Custom Recoil Prototype 95
    Callaway MD4 50, PM Grind 54, 58 - Custom Recoil 110 
    Directed Force - Stability Shaft
    Chrome Soft X Truvis Yellow

rsz_1yoimy69p_400x400.jpg rsz_1rsz_2pgapro.jpg
  • Jawyman29Jawyman29 ClubWRX Posts: 211 ClubWRX
    Here are some comparisons between CF16 and CF19. On the simulator at Dick’s the Pro was about 7 yards shorter than the standard Apex. 30.5* loft on the standard and 33* on the Pro version. I was going to point out the changes I see in the top line and sole but wanted to see what you guys think before I say anything.
  • Kball10Kball10 Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    Finally saw the Apex Pro 19 today. Nice looking club. I hit it with a couple different shafts and I would say it was good, but not significantly better than my current set. I was hitting indoors on a track man and I don’t love hitting off mats. I will likely give it another shot.

Kball10 wrote:

Finally saw the Apex Pro 19 today. Nice looking club. I hit it with a couple different shafts and I would say it was good, but not significantly better than my current set. I was hitting indoors on a track man and I don’t love hitting off mats. I will likely give it another shot.

Not sure your current set but I’d say that this is an iron so it’s not going to be “significantly better” than another comparable set. It’s definitely not significantly better than the 2016 version of the Apex Pros. But it’s a nice update on a already nice iron. If you’re in the market these are definitely worth looking at!
    Callaway

• jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,612 ✭✭
    edited Jan 20, 2019 4:52pm #26
    The Xander Protos appear what the Apex Pros are modeled off of.

I prefer his Protos.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Members Posts: 824 ✭✭
    I played my set for the very first time today. It was below 40 degrees which is freezing to us Texans. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed these irons. IMO the feel is much better than the CF16’s that I played off and on over the few years. Performance was about the same, but I did notice that they did stop hard on the green but that may be more the Elevate shafts I’m playing. Very forgiving and consistent across the face. for the club head size and I’ve been playing The raw Apex MB’s for the last year.

I’ll post more feedback as I play more rounds and in warmer weather.

Another solid offering of from a line of irons that have continuously been very good. Callaway should sell tons of these.

One more thing, for my fellow “Club-o-holics” out there. Over the last 3 years I’ve played probably over 20 different sets of irons over the last 2-3 years. However, today I realized my woods and wedges have been the same ones and they were both the strongest part of my game. Starting to believe that playing the same clubs over a long period of time will improve my game. Please don’t suspend my GolfWRX account.....

2016 TaylorMade M2 w/ Ventus 6s
    Callaway Epic Flash w/ AD-DI
    Titleist H1 816 w/ Diamana Blueboard
    Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 Raw 52
    TaylorMade 60* Hi-Toe
    TaylorMade Spider X
  • moorebaseballmoorebaseball Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    I hit the pros for the first time yesterday and I was VERY impressed! To me these "feel" softer with better spin numbers than the 16 model. I will have a decision to make between these, 785s, mp18 sc, and p760. Its going to be an interesting fitting in two weeks and I cannot wait!
  • mrmikeacmrmikeac Members Posts: 388 ✭✭
    edited Jan 20, 2019 8:10pm #29

I hit the pros for the first time yesterday and I was VERY impressed! To me these "feel" softer with better spin numbers than the 16 model. I will have a decision to make between these, 785s, mp18 sc, and p760. Its going to be an interesting fitting in two weeks and I cannot wait!

I sold my Z785’s for the P760’s and I don’t regret it one bit. Love these irons. Put them up against the Apex Pro’s and it was the best head to head I’ve ever done, ever.

Ended up ordering the Apex Pro’s 5-PW KBS $ Taper 120 Black’s

Now I just have to learn how to share time between sets because I’m playing the best golf of my life with these 760’s.

Let me give you my insight:

The 760’s are way more forgiving than the 785’s.

The 785’s have a very pure forged feel to them but the biggest downfall with the Srixons were the spin numbers I got with them, forgiveness is good but not even close to the 760’s and Apex Pro’s

The Apex Pro’s are longer than my 760’s but forgiveness is literally neck and neck.

Backspin was highest in the 760’s at around 6800 in the 7 iron and over 10,000 in the PW. Srixons were the lowest around 5400 in the 7 iron and 8700 in the PW. The Apex Pro’s were in between both.

The Apex Pro’s look better in the mid irons but the 760’s look better in the shorter irons imo. Long irons look great in all 3 sets, offset isn’t as bad in the 760’s as people put it out to be... the Srixons have the least amount of offset through the entire set.

Turf interaction is great in all 3 irons with the Apex Pro’s have the sharpest leading edge so this really comes Down to your a.o.a.

Consistency from front to back dispersion has to go to the 760’s

Consistency from left to right dispersion has to go to the Apex Pro’s but I think a lot of that is due to the shaft that you go with.

Feel goes to the Srixons. The 760’s have a very very soft muted feel even in the short irons which I prefer, but the Srixons have more of a pure forged feel to them.

The feel from the Apex Pro’s is a little harder and clickier than the other 2 imo but still very responsive and easy to tell where your strike is.

Top line is thinnest in the Apex Pro’s with the Srixons not far behind. The 760’s have the thickest top line out of any of them but still not too thick in any way.

Overall you can’t go wrong with any of them.
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 10.5 Degrees set at 9.5, Weight Neutral, Tensei Orange 60 Gram Stiff
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, HZRDUS Smoke 70 Gram 6.0
    3 Hybrid: Ping G410 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
    2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
    5-PW: Taylormade P760’s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
    50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Putter: 34” Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8 
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
  • FairwindsgolferFairwindsgolfer Members Posts: 622 ✭✭
    mrmikeac wrote:

I sold my Z785’s for the P760’s and I don’t regret it one bit. Love these irons. Put them up against the Apex Pro’s and it was the best head to head I’ve ever done, ever.

Ended up ordering the Apex Pro’s 5-PW KBS $ Taper 120 Black’s

Now I just have to learn how to share time between sets because I’m playing the best golf of my life with these 760’s.

Let me give you my insight:

The 760’s are way more forgiving than the 785’s.

The 785’s have a very pure forged feel to them but the biggest downfall with the Srixons were the spin numbers I got with them, forgiveness is good but not even close to the 760’s and Apex Pro’s

The Apex Pro’s are longer than my 760’s but forgiveness is literally neck and neck.

Backspin was highest in the 760’s at around 6800 in the 7 iron and over 10,000 in the PW. Srixons were the lowest around 5400 in the 7 iron and 8700 in the PW. The Apex Pro’s were in between both.

The Apex Pro’s look better in the mid irons but the 760’s look better in the shorter irons imo. Long irons look great in all 3 sets, offset isn’t as bad in the 760’s as people put it out to be... the Srixons have the least amount of offset through the entire set.

Turf interaction is great in all 3 irons with the Apex Pro’s have the sharpest leading edge so this really comes Down to your a.o.a.

Consistency from front to back dispersion has to go to the 760’s

Consistency from left to right dispersion has to go to the Apex Pro’s but I think a lot of that is due to the shaft that you go with.

Feel goes to the Srixons. The 760’s have a very very soft muted feel even in the short irons which I prefer, but the Srixons have more of a pure forged feel to them.

The feel from the Apex Pro’s is a little harder and clickier than the other 2 imo but still very responsive and easy to tell where your strike is.

Top line is thinnest in the Apex Pro’s with the Srixons not far behind. The 760’s have the thickest top line out of any of them but still not too thick in any way.

Overall you can’t go wrong with any of them.

Fantastic comparison!

Bridgestone J33 combo 5-pw
    Ping G400 LST driver
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Nike CPR 2 hybrid
    Cobra Baffler 3 hybrid
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 60 wedges
    Putter- I hate them all

• Lefty431Lefty431 Members Posts: 1,076 ✭✭
    Anyone compare the cf19 to p790s yet? Feedback??
    Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
    Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke