Reputable brands that are more cost effective

hypergolfhypergolf Members Posts: 1,222 ✭✭
With the ridiculous rise in cost of golf equipments in major brands such as Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, Titleist etc, I am trying to find alternative brands that are more cost effective yet performs equally well to the big brands.

Which would you recommend for woods, irons, wedges, putters and golf balls?

Comments

• BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,650 ✭✭
    Same companies you list, just not the current lines
    Yadi for President
  • p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    What BYK said above, plus the following quickly come to mind:

Tour Edge

Maltby

Wilson Staff

Sure there's many more
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
  • wkndhackwkndhack Members Posts: 908 ✭✭
    Try Cobra or Wilson. Or just buy used.
    Cobra King F7+ Evenflow Black 65 6.0
    Cobra King F7 3W Oban Isawa Red 75-04
    Cobra King F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85S
    Cobra King Utility ONE 21.5 C Taper Lite 110S
    Cobra King Forged Tec Black ONE 5-GW C Taper Lite 110S
    Cobra King Pur 54V, 58V DG S200
    Bettinardi QB8
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
  • srini81srini81 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    +1 the above comments, would add Srixon. Great value on 745/765 if you look around (e.g. solid condition 745s right now on BST for under $300).
  • LPCPLPCP Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I’ve always played Titleist, but just picked up a Cobra F8 3 wood. They’re def a company that has my attention. Srixon and Mizuno are good options as well.
    WITB
    Cobra F9 - Atmost TS Black 7X / KK XD 70X
    Cobra F8 3-4 - Hzrdus Black 6.5
    Titleist 910H - Diamana S+82
    Titleist 714 AP2 - S300
    Titleist SM7 Black 50.08F
    Titleist SM7 Black 54.10S
    Titleist SM7 Black 58.12D
    Odyssey EXO 7S
  • Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Go used. Most of my stuff was purchased near new about a year old and probably paid 1/2 to 2/3 of new price depending on the club. Also been able to find near new current generation for about 25% off.
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    Tommy Armour
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,191 ✭✭
    Maltby, Wishon, KZG. They make great stuff mind you but their resale value is crappy so you'll find great deals of those makes of clubs used.
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • JustapitchandaputtJustapitchandaputt Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Woods: Cobra, Tour Edge (second hand)

Irons: Cobra, Wilson, Ben Hogan
  • andrieddleandrieddle Members Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    Cobra and Mizuno
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,877 ✭✭
    Maltby....and get savvy with your persuit of designs from the past. Some will even call stuff from 2016 "old school"...and you know what that does to the asking price image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Members Posts: 2,355 ✭✭
    Quiet week in wrx land...just glued up a 4 wood tee 16.5 with a pro launch platinum shaft and its a winner in the fairways yesterday.Just picked up SM6 58/10S and added a tip weight so its D6 .Fresh polishup and its good for 6 months!

Be a good WRX'r buy a club a week......Show You Ho and Be Proud!
    2019 May

Ping [email protected] 10.5
    Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Vokey SM5 50 08 F Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!

• JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 995 ✭✭
    Cobra Wilson.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • OldplayerOldplayer Members Posts: 2,360 ✭✭
    wkndhack wrote:

Try Cobra or Wilson. Or just buy used.

This is what I would choose also.
  • That Bob GuyThat Bob Guy Never settle! Members Posts: 2,571 ✭✭
    Maltby or 2017/2018 new mainstream OE stuff that's on sale.
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,281 ✭✭
    BST
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green MichiganMembers Posts: 4,410 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 5:45am #18

Quiet week in wrx land...just glued up a 4 wood tee 16.5 with a pro launch platinum shaft and its a winner in the fairways yesterday.Just picked up SM6 58/10S and added a tip weight so its D6 .Fresh polishup and its good for 6 months!

Be a good WRX'r buy a club a week......Show You Ho and Be Proud!

Absolutely. The Grafalloy PL Platinum is a great shaft. Especially for fairways. Near perfect mid-flight trajectory, smooth feel. But they're getting harder to come by in tip sizes other than .350". The OG PL Blue is good as well, and seems to be more readily available in .335". Big fan of these older PL shafts, an outstanding value. Buy a couple (NOS) periodically off the Bay.

As long as we're talking fairways and cost effectiveness, hard to beat V-Steel's and PL shafts. Recently added a 4-wood that is waiting to be glued up with a Platinum. Completing my set of V-Steels, 3 - 9. GOAT fairway? They work for me.

The Maltby TS-1's and 2's are high quality, contemporary hollow bodied (foam filled) iron clubheads. Compare them to OEM. Check out the on-going TS-2 thread elsewhere. Moving to the TS-1's for next season. SGI head without all the negatives that typically accompany irons of that design (i.e. massive soles, thickish top lines). They actually look rather blade'ish. Shafted up with Grafalloy PL Red Axis graphites that were acquired for $11 per shaft. And yes, the heads were purchased slightly used, thereby saving some coinage.

Club costs have become absurd. And I simply refuse to pay the going price for new clubs. So much value to be found with selective shopping on good used equipment. $500+ drivers, $1200+ irons sets are ridiculous. There's a plethora of good quality equipment out there if one knows what they're looking for and exercises prudent shopping. I will never, ever buy new OEM clubs again. Consideration of any golf implements is now about determining how much quality can I achieve at the lowest possible cost. As in cheap.

With the usual caveat. If paying lots of money for gear floats your boat, have at it. It's your dime.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • HouskaHouska ClubWRX Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Another vote for Cobra and Wilson brands
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 863 ✭✭
    Another vote for get anything ur heart desires on eBay or BST from a reputable buyer and still have money left for lessons.
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs)Members Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Cleveland is worth a look if considering new.
  • towncryertowncryer Members Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Ben Hogan irons are comparatively less expensive to other forged irons out there ($735 for seven sticks whereas you're looking at $1150 fro seven from bigger brands). Wilson, as mentioned above, also has a better deal ($875 for seven clubs).

Used is a great way to go...before I started working in a golf shop part-time and summers, I bought EVERYTHING used. If I didn't work in a golf shop, I'd still be buying used. You can a great set of used irons if you know what you're looking for and are interested in haggling...most golf shops treat used clubs like used cars...yes, they have $X in the clubs and they want to make a certain percentage in profit, but they're typically marked up higher than they should be. Do your homework, use PGA value guide to get an idea what they may have paid for them, and don't be a Richard to the salesperson image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

For balls...Vice is killer. I used to be a Pro V1x guy to the core, but I played the Pro Plus from Vice all last year and loved it. Played well with it, saw no performance drawbacks from Pro V1x. At about $25 a dozen for a urethane performance ball (when you buy 5 dozen), it's tough to beat.

If you're a Costco member, you can go the Kirkland Signature ball route (it's $24 per double dozen for the 3 piece...online and only 2 double-dzns per account). I think the heat coming of K-sigs has started to cool down, though.
    G400 10.5 w/ Tour 65x
    915 2h Diamana D+
    PING iBlade 3-PW DGS400
    SM7 52, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
    Vice Pro Plus LIME!!!!
  • cgasucks wrote:
    Maltby, Wishon, KZG. They make great stuff mind you but their resale value is crappy so you'll find great deals of those makes of clubs used.

I alternate between used KZG Forged ZO blades and used KZG Forged II irons. The quality is excellent, and the combined cost was less than your average new driver.
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭
    DYNACRAFT Prophet Muscle blades.

Hollow design, superb looks and finish

Performance is outstanding and at under £49 a club, custom fit, it must be worth a look
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,721 ✭✭
    Ping and Srixon are among our cheaper priced brands. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • tmax77tmax77 Members Posts: 1,013 ✭✭
    Houska wrote:

Another vote for Cobra and Wilson brands

Another vote for these two extremely underrated..
    Under construction....
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,705 ✭✭
    For a new, custom fit irons and wedges built to spec: Maltby.
  • hendog39hendog39 Members Posts: 109 ✭✭
  • ChrisLC40ChrisLC40 Rochester, NYMembers Posts: 58 ✭✭
    For new I'd vote Cleveland. I've got the HB Launcher driver and my wife has the CBX irons, both of which we're very happy with. I've also had good luck watching Global Golf's website for LH clubs. Just recently I picked up an "Excellent" Cobra F8 3w fr $130, which turned out to be mint/never been hit. Also watch for the end of cycle sales...i.e., Ping G400 woods and hybrids dropped in price quite a bit and IMO they were/are worth their original price.
    Cleveland HB Launcher 10.5
    Cobra F8 3W 16
    Ping G400 4H
    Ping i210 4-W
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 60
    Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT #1
  • hypergolfhypergolf Members Posts: 1,222 ✭✭
    I forgot to add that I want them custom fitted so buying used would not work unless they are to my specs or I can bring them to a club fitter after purchasing an older item.

So far I am getting Tour Edge, Maltby, Wilson Staff, Srixon, Mizuno, Cobra, Cleveland most frequently.

Which of these would give best custom fitting experience?
  • C-radC-rad Members Posts: 2,606 ✭✭
    Wow, no one mention bridgestone. Irons are great but i have never tri3d their woods!
    Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag