Calling out to TM Experts

SergiogarwiiaSergiogarwiia Members Posts: 32
I recently bought a set of TM TP-tour irons for $11 and gave them a little touch up.

From the article below I think they would be from around late 1980's (same font as the '87 Tour Preferred TD's) or the early 1990's (same logo as the ICW-5 and ICW-11.

http://www.golfwrx.com/373424/photos-of-taylormade-irons-from-the-last-35-years/

Who has more information on these for me. I was told they were cast irons, but they feel like forged. Anyone have an exact year? Any Pro's played them?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

In the bag:
MacGregor Bobby Grace M1
Adams golf Tom Watson RC14 wedges 52°,56°,60°
Mizuno Cimarron 5-PW
Mizuno MP CLK 23°
King Cobra Comp 3W & 5W
Callaway FT iQ 10°
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tlhorshtlhorsh Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    i like the blue actually better than the red...
  • Thanks, the top picture is how they look now, the bottom pic is how I bought them.
    In the bag:
    MacGregor Bobby Grace M1
    Mizuno Cimarron 5-PW
    Mizuno MP CLK 23°
    King Cobra Comp 3W & 5W
    Callaway FT iQ 10°
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,203 ✭✭
    I can't help you, but just wanted to say nice pick up. I had a set of TDs back in the day, so these take me back to my youth! I would guess that yours are cast, like the TDs, but I can offer no proof. What are they like to hit?
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • I can't help you, but just wanted to say nice pick up. I had a set of TDs back in the day, so these take me back to my youth! I would guess that yours are cast, like the TDs, but I can offer no proof. What are they like to hit?

Hi NCN, I can tell you they are a dream when you pure them. Anything remotely out of the center will break your fingers though and massive loss of distance, especially with this cold weather.

That said, they are now my second favorite set and pretty close behind number 1.
    In the bag:
    MacGregor Bobby Grace M1
    Mizuno Cimarron 5-PW
    Mizuno MP CLK 23°
    King Cobra Comp 3W & 5W
    Callaway FT iQ 10°
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,120 ✭✭
    Early 90s. TM version of the TP19. Stunning to look at but not very forgiving. Very popular on European Tour. Most came with original Rifle shafts.They must have been forged in Japan as like Maruman they had a great looking pitching wedge then gap and sand iron with huge soles and a massive amount of bounce. A local player won the Scottish Amateur with a set. He nailed it and would have made a great Pro...had he been able to control his temper.
  • rex235rex235 ClubWRX Posts: 3,987 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 19, 2019 2:18am #7
    Serg-

These are Tour Preferred (TP) Tour Irons from TaylorMade.

These "TP Tour" stamps, not the ICW models.

Any LH models made? To my knowledge, very few.

Superb find!