What age was appropriate to be dropped off to play alone on a course w/o an adult supervision?

2»

Comments

• BertGABertGA Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    It's been at least a week since a thread was shut down. image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,066 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:
    BertGA wrote:

It's been at least a week since a thread was shut down. image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />

I bet more parents would let kids go to the course on their own at a younger age if they'd just let Trump build the wall. /s

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,066 ✭✭
    BertGA wrote:

mrshinsa wrote:

Hummm. I can’t figure out if you’re kidding. I hope so.

How so? I've seen some of the best junior golfers in our area that are homeschooled.

I would say that in most cases, athletic achievement should not be the driving force for home-schooling a child. It's a more complex decision than that.

Oh no. Don’t go there my friend. This thread will take a death spiral quickly. I avoided responding for a reason. LOLOLOL!! ; )

You know who, the name we do not speak, hasn’t posted.
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,713 ✭✭

BertGA wrote:

mrshinsa wrote:

Hummm. I can’t figure out if you’re kidding. I hope so.

How so? I've seen some of the best junior golfers in our area that are homeschooled.

I would say that in most cases, athletic achievement should not be the driving force for home-schooling a child. It's a more complex decision than that.

Oh no. Don’t go there my friend. This thread will take a death spiral quickly. I avoided responding for a reason. LOLOLOL!! ; )

You know who, the name we do not speak, hasn’t posted.

You know the answer that would be given along with shock and muted outrage at the very idea of such a thing. Its OK though, I like seeing life as others live it. I judge myself against it, not them. Its good exercise for an opinionated jackass like me.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,134 ✭✭
    This reminds me of a local course where a couple off-duty cops where robbed at gunpoint by a couple "yutes". I wouldn't drop my kid off there. At our club, sure.
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
    My 10 yr old hangs out all day at our club and practices and the pro lets him out on the course with the other juniors who are 14+
  • bwbwbwbw Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    We will let my oldest daughter (now 13) go the range by herself a couple of times last year when neither my wife or I could sit out there with her. If she is on the course, she is with either her younger sister or a friend. Most around the club know us, know her, and will watch out for her.
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,852 ClubWRX
    I know a few great scratch golfers...and that's how they learned. Mom/dad dropped them off at the course in the morning and picked them up after work...the boys had all day to hit and learn how to sharpen their game.

Sadly, as much disdain as I have for helicopter parents, I don't know if I feel as comfortable with leaving a young boy (or girl) on a golf course all day, every day. Maybe if it was a private club, I'd feel different...and I'm public course kind of guy...It should be safe, but man I read too much bad stuff that happens.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    Skaffa77 wrote:

I know a few great scratch golfers...and that's how they learned. Mom/dad dropped them off at the course in the morning and picked them up after work...the boys had all day to hit and learn how to sharpen their game.

Sadly, as much disdain as I have for helicopter parents, I don't know if I feel as comfortable with leaving a young boy (or girl) on a golf course all day, every day. Maybe if it was a private club, I'd feel different...and I'm public course kind of guy...It should be safe, but man I read too much bad stuff that happens.

A lot of this has to do with if you live in a small town or very populated area over a million people. In a small town I would not worry about it that much. But in a large metro area I would be concerned about leaving them alone anywhere for obvious reasons. We always lived in a more populated area and I rarely see anyone under 15 alone. However travel to small towns and you see kids over 10 roaming the streets alone all the time.

Private clubs or resort courses are better but a lot those also may not allow walking and they need to be old enough to drive a cart. Even if you own the cart you still might be limited by rules because they do not want people to walk on the course.