Callaway Epic Flash Review

13»

Comments

• zripp3zripp3 Members Posts: 648 ✭✭
    [quote/]

I think if you're evaluating a driver, you've got to be fit to it - not down the road with a shaft. I'm familiar with the Ping G400 head and Max - and it's apparent that it was a poor fit with the shaft and or loft.

I've found not to find an answer in easy answers - they don't exist.

But c'est la vie. I think the comparo means nothing. I've been fit by a PGA Professional over several sessions - people that fit on the PGA Tour (lucky to know him) just finding the right loft/shaft combo in the G400 took 2 hrs. Find loft, find shaft, find center contact, find swingweight, find shaft length, find lie, find least amount of dispersion, etc.

[/quote]

My "comparo" served exactly the purpose for which I intended. I've found through my own fittings with local PGA Professionals (though none that I believe fit current tour players) that the heads over the past few years all fall into a couple major categories (low spin, forgiveness in broader areas of the face, certain bias, etc.). In trying to find a new head/shaft combo to outperform my current head and shaft, I/we simply could not find a significant improvement worthy of dropping hundreds of dollars (on either a new shaft, or a new driver altogether) and that this particular shaft just works for me.

My goal in this "comparo" was to see if a shaft that I am 100% certain fits my swing would render improved numbers on a couple of the newer heads. It didn't. I'm sure some heads perform differently on certain shaft profiles. But, despite it causing you to shake your head, I found the numbers with the G400, to use your example, to not be entirely unimaginable - i.e. only a 1mph ballspeed difference, no difference in launch, but higher spin which likely resulted in the loss of approx. 10 yards. If a 2 hour fitting for you, or anyone else, resulted in a new head/shaft combo that provided marked improvement over what you were playing, then I'd argue what you were playing wasn't fit to you very well. But, I don't know that and don't care.

Could I have "dialed" in better numbers with another shaft in a driver combo that would've likely set me back several hundred dollars? Probably.

Would it have been significantly better than what I currently play, given my swingspeed/ballspeed limitations? Probably not.

Would that have been worth a new $400 driver? No.

So, yeah, I got out of this little experiment exactly what I wanted.
  • hef63303hef63303 Members Posts: 2,865 ✭✭
    radiman wrote:

hef63303 wrote:

radiman wrote:

hef63303 wrote:

Clearly, you tested the club with a poorly fitted shaft to you. No doubt the numbers would have been better had you tested a shaft that is designed for people with 115 mph club speed instead of the lightest shaft we make.

We? Are you with either Callaway or True Temper?
    Callaway

Gotcha. Must be a cool company to work for.
    Sorry for the slow response as I have been pregaming the last few days for the PGA Show. Yes, it has been a pleasure to work for Callaway. In general, all of the golf companies I have worked for have treated me well. I have been fortunate in the regard.
  • ShowMeShowMe Members Posts: 484
    There are many rogues posting Rouge instead of Rogue, n’est pas?
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS3 9.5* Diamana D+ Limited 70X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 13.5* [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Diamana D+ Limited 80X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 18* [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Diamana D+ Limited 80X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping i210 5-UW Steelfiber i80 S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping Glide 2.0 SS 56* Steelfiber i80 S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scottie Newport M2[/font]
  • blarkin97blarkin97 Members Posts: 55 ✭✭

Any thoughts on the sound of the driver? Quite a few people putting it in the "loud" category.

Of course you would have to try it for yourself but I found it to be pretty loud and high pitched. Didn't like the sound at all compared to my old XR driver I have
    PING G400 9* Stiff
    Callaway XR 16 3W 15*
    Adams Idea Super 3H 19*
    PING i210 AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Cleveland CBX 54* & 58* TT Wedge Flex

Odyssey O-Works Black 1 34" OR O-Works Black #3T 34"
  • 3 Jack Par3 Jack Par I only answer to "Ace" now Members, ClubWRX Posts: 6,120 ClubWRX
    SwingMan wrote:

I think if you're evaluating a driver, you've got to be fit to it - not down the road with a shaft. I'm familiar with the Ping G400 head and Max - and it's apparent that it was a poor fit with the shaft and or loft.

I've found not to find an answer in easy answers - they don't exist.

But c'est la vie. I think the comparo means nothing. I've been fit by a PGA Professional over several sessions - people that fit on the PGA Tour (lucky to know him) just finding the right loft/shaft combo in the G400 took 2 hrs. Find loft, find shaft, find center contact, find swingweight, find shaft length, find lie, find least amount of dispersion, etc.

If you've been properly fit to a shaft in the past, there's no reason you can't do an adequate comparison between two driver heads using the same shaft, without going through a full-on fitting. A shaft tweak isn't going to greatly transform the performance of a head compared to hitting it with your current shaft if it's a good fit for you. For me, if I'm going to compare my current club to another head to see if it's worth making a change, I'd need to see a significant difference in performance (at least a couple more mph of ball speed or much better dispersion). At that point, maybe it would make sense to go through a full fitting to get everything dialed in to find the absolute best fit, but to do in informed review/comparison between two heads, you can absolutely do that with the same shaft on two different heads.

Now, this original review, I agree there isn't a lot to bet taken from it, because the ill-fitting shaft and small sample size leave a lot of questions about the source of the differences between the two clubs.
    Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 8*), Aldila Rogue Silver 130 70TX
    Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Aldila Rogue Silver 130 80TX
    Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
    Titleist Vokey Forged 52F & 58K, DG S400,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200 (sometimes)
    Byron Morgan B-17, 35", Blue Oil
    WITB Link
  • braveheartbraveheart Members Posts: 326 ✭✭
    edited Apr 28, 2019 4:17pm #67

A little late to the party. Just had my first clubfitting ever with a Srixon Z785 10.5 degree. Tried a few different shafts ended up with the yellow hazardous shaft liking the numbers inside, I bought it. Did not work for me outdoors as I found it unforgiving and harder to get up in the air. I usually have the opposite issue with most drivers. I also don't like the muted sound and feel of it. I returned it for a full shop credit and the pro asked if I wanted to hit the Callaway Epic Flash demo he has. I said sure and will be doing that outdoors this time tomorrow. SS 98-100, quick tempo, 12 handicap. Like drivers that have an explosive sound and feel, not sumo like but certainly not muted. Currently using my old reliable TM Burner 2007 and have used Ping G, G30 for brief periods. From what some of you say it appears the Epic Flash is louder and has some forgiveness. Did not get it right the first time with the Srixon. I would like to do better and perhaps some thoughts and advice might help.

• pingnewbiepingnewbie Members Posts: 139 ✭✭

Between the 2017 Epic and the 2019 Epic Flash - which one is more stable?
    **** did a short video comparing the two -