Best day of the year for the working/dad/golfer?

Rosco1216Rosco1216 Members Posts: 2,976 ✭✭
BEGINNING OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS.

Any of the working dads out there REALLY look forward to the beginning of daylight savings? I'm not speaking specifically to the guys out there who are able to get out and play during the week in the middle of day. I'm talking about the working dads that, after daylight savings ends, go to work while it's still dark and its dark by the time they get off as well. For me, once Christmas is over, the depressing time starts. For that 2 1/2 months I can't hit balls after work and weekends are either busy with the kids or, depending where you live, the weather doesn't allow for golf. But once daylight savings begins and I'm able to hit a quick bucket after work once or twice a week or play a couple holes, it's like the depressing period has ended and it might as well be a [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] holiday!
Tour Issue M3 8.5*(7.4* @ 3.4* open) - Diamana DF 70tx
FW - who knows
P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0
Miura CB 1008(4-P) - PX 7.0
Bridgestone TourB XW1 50/55//60* - X100
Piretti Matera 2 Limited Release

https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova

Comments

• ChunkingChunking Members Posts: 4
    Playing 9 holes after work is out of the question, do I’m relegated to weekends unfortunately.

But there is a lit range closeby my work that has grass and lights on until 10pm. So always an opportunity to go hit some balls.
  • Rosco1216Rosco1216 Members Posts: 2,976 ✭✭
    I don't have the night time lighted range option anywhere near me unfortunately.
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0

• tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭
    oh i got that Friday after circled on my calendar. I work from home on Fridays and I should be on the 1st tee, ready to go by ~2:50 PM
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,073 ✭✭
    I hit foam balls in the house when my wife's not home.

I hate any mention of doing away with DST.
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 496 ✭✭
    I cant even imagine your pain OP.

I thought I had it bad when my Tuesday night "golf practice time" turns from 9 holes to range season during the winter, but not to be able to do anything but the "head against the wall drill" must be painful.
    edited Jan 17, 2019 2:29pm #7
    Yeah my winter time golf consists of swinging indoors at night while watching golf channel, maybe running to golf galaxy during a quick lunch, and then playing a super quick round maybe once every 3 to 4 weekends if the temp happens to be above 40 without much wind. My wife and family say its like a switch goes off and i'm in such a good mood once daylight savings begins. It's amazing what an extra hour or more of sunlight can do! I mean even during golf season when the weather is nice I'm only able to get 30-45 minutes after work once a week(maybe twice if I skip lunch and gym) and then one round everything 2-3 weekends.
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0

• BKN1964BKN1964 Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    edited Jan 17, 2019 4:58pm #8
    Approaching the end of DST, I'll be on the course until dark, squeezing every shot I can out of the available light.

My PTO tracker attached. It should answer your question.

I have enough vacation time that, in addition to any "normal" vacation time, I'm able to take a half day every week during non-DST just to get my fix in addition to any weekend golf I might get to play. Unfortunately at the moment we have 10 inches of snow on the ground, and it's not looking very good for at least the next several weeks. It's hit-and-miss in Northern Kentucky as to how much golf you get to play during the Winter.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    DST.JPG 177.3K
    snow.jpg 210.6K
    I like the dedication! scheduling PTO once a week to get golf practice in before DST!
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0

• KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry areaMembers Posts: 344 ✭✭
    When the temps drop below the mid 50s and DST hits i turn into that miserable a$$#ole that nobody likes. Soon as it flips so do i.
  • ksher84ksher84 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Yeah can’t wait to be able to tee off at 7 again on the weekends. Typically can get 9 holes in after work through the summer too.
    Srixon z565
    Srixon f65 4w
    Srixon u65 3 & 4
    Srixon z765 5-P
    Cleveland RTX-3 Raw 50/10, 54/8, 58/6
    Rossa Daytona 1
  • ratsprosratspros Members Posts: 969 ✭✭
    Yup love the long days of summer when I can have the kids in bed by 7:30. Tee off at 8pm and play a quick 18 by 10:30pm.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    I work 2nd shift. So, I'm just looking forward to warmer weather.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,482 ✭✭
    Masters Sunday is my favorite day, because it's awesome and it means the season is starting really soon.

Love Masters Sunday!!!
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
    edited Jan 17, 2019 9:26pm #15
    MtlJeff wrote:

Masters Sunday is my favorite day, because it's awesome and it means the season is starting really soon.

Love Masters Sunday!!!

Masters Sunday may be my favorite this year. Final round followed by GOT final season premiere!
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0

• Canoe PaddlerCanoe Paddler Members Posts: 188 ✭✭
    74 days down and 52 to go... and everyday is already getting longer! Sanity is just around the corner.
  • Ngjg21Ngjg21 Members Posts: 849 ✭✭
    I think for me it's Masters Thursday--all the possibility of the forthcoming tourney, plus it starts my annual multi-day Masters staycation with wall to wall tournament viewing and 36 holes a day (played early, of course).

Not surprisingly, the following Monday is always a rough one and one of my least favorite days of the year.
  • Jwink1586Jwink1586 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Would love to play more but baseball typically takes over around daylight savings time.
  • kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    I'm not a dad, but yes I do very much look forward to the long days, we meet at least once a week at around 5pm at the muni for 9 holes, some of the most fun I have playing golf. Just enough time to drive home from work, shower, get to the course play 9 then shoot the sh*t in the parking lot after for a half hour. Or do it solo as my playing partner is a fairly new dad, who does get out to play a lot, but doesn't have the option of everyday like I do. Along with at least 1 range session in that week as I now have a range within about a 5 minute drive. I can certainly get my fill!
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • mcd22mcd22 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
    First day of school is also a big one for me. During the summer if I knock off after lunch and go to the golf course the wife gets mad, if the kid is in school and she is doing whatever she wants to do, no problem.
  • USAF Retired E7USAF Retired E7 Finnish American Members Posts: 305 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Love Masters Sunday!!!

I agree. Great day of golf and I know season starts soon!
    M2 Driver, 16 Degree and 19 degree
    PXG 0311 4-Pw
    Vokey 50 and 56
    Odyssey O Works #7, red
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Rosco1216 wrote:

BEGINNING OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS.

Any of the working dads out there REALLY look forward to the beginning of daylight savings? I'm not speaking specifically to the guys out there who are able to get out and play during the week in the middle of day. I'm talking about the working dads that, after daylight savings ends, go to work while it's still dark and its dark by the time they get off as well.

Preach brother, preach.

Also, if your workplace sneaks in the odd holiday that is not also observed by the school system you may get an extra day to yourself. Good Friday is an example. I used to work at a place that gave you Good Friday as a paid holiday and the local school system did not observe it. Dad time if the weather was nice and the course was not under water.
    my oldest daughter finally passed her driving exam! That relieves me from some chauffeuring duties during the week for her younger siblings which equals ...more playing time for me! This year is starting to look like i'll be able to get at least 1 round a week in rather than 1-2 a month!
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,629 ✭✭
    I look forward to daylight savings but really enjoy the day after the last day of school. No more waiting for a school bus to stop at house 1, then house 2 which is 50 feet away on the same side of the street with ample sidewalk space and then house 3 which is another 100 feet away on the same side of the street. Apparently walking is too taxing for kids these days. It only saves me a few minutes on my way to the course but I find I am (sometimes) less agitated by the time I arrive.

Kudos to tocino for allowing his daughter to drive around the siblings. Seems a rarity these days rather than a rite of passage.
    edited Feb 13, 2019 4:07pm #25

Kudos to tocino for allowing his daughter to drive around the siblings. Seems a rarity these days rather than a rite of passage.

it actually surprises me that a lot of my nieces and nephews and some of my friend's kids aren't in a rush to get their drivers license anymore. I don't know if its because they're so used to parents dropping them off at school and after-school activities or the proliferation of ride sharing services like Uber and Lift but it seems like they just don't want to drive. My parents made me walk or use public transportation so i eagerly counted down the days i could get my license.
  • J LO J LO Members Posts: 524 ✭✭
    Great post...so true...late afternoon rounds and/or Friday afternoon golf = happy dad, husband and gets the fix in before watching a little golf during the prime golf season
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 8* Speeder Evolution 757 Tour Issue Shiro X Stiff
    FW: G400 Stretch 13* Tour 75X
    Irons: Apex/Apex Pro 19 5-GW Project X 6.5
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54, Gorge 2.0 58 ES 
    Putter: Spider Tour Black

• mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,528 ✭✭
    tocino wrote:

it actually surprises me that a lot of my nieces and nephews and some of my friend's kids aren't in a rush to get their drivers license anymore. I don't know if its because they're so used to parents dropping them off at school and after-school activities or the proliferation of ride sharing services like Uber and Lift but it seems like they just don't want to drive. My parents made me walk or use public transportation so i eagerly counted down the days i could get my license.

There's definitely a difference. We couldn't wait to get our licenses. We literally planned on getting them as soon as we turned 16. My daughter didn't get hers until she 17. My son got his last year at 16, it was several months after his birthday.

But when they do get it, it's a game changer. With the daughter off at college and my son driving himself to school/work/activities, my golf time has gone through the roof. While I enjoyed the activities the kids were in and the time we spent together, it's nice to have all this time back. I can pretty much practice/play after work any day I want and every weekend.
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • geno4952geno4952 Members Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Best day is the day my local course opens... I live in Western NY so sometimes it's late into the spring

Worst day is Father's Day... you show up at 7:00 am for your tee time and you see the kids with Dad and Grandpa on the first tee with 50 year old wood woods and forged irons that see daylight once a year.... there goes 6 hours of my life I will never get back......but hey.... it's still better than having to work every single holiday like I did for 25 years as a golf pro,,,,
    Now Playing.... backup bag No.2

TM R7 10.5* driver
    TM 200 series 3 wood
    Callaway Heaven Wood
    1987 Ping Eye 2 Black dot 3-PW
    Ping Eye 2 sw
    Ping Eye 2 lw
    Ping Kushin putter ...(changes often)

Peace
  • dbigstickdbigstick Members Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Summers when I could go out in the afternoons with the kids and play as many holes as we could get in before dark. Other nightd we would play and the get on some on course practice. I miss those days.
  • Canoe PaddlerCanoe Paddler Members Posts: 188 ✭✭
    17 days 14 hours 52 minutes, but who’s counting
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,063 ✭✭
    Once the warm weather hits, I start using my 5 weeks of vacation time in half-day chunks. I'll take 1-2 afternoons off every week during the summer, play at least 18 each of those days. Then twice more on weekends.

I hate the winter. I hate being stuck inside. Just need to keep my eyes on the prize once May hits.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges