Finally found a GPS phone app! iGolf

I've tried a half-dozen or so GPS phone apps over the past several years, and none have really been very satisfactory to me. The main problem with the majority of these is that they use "stock" satellite imagery (e.g. something like Google Maps' satellite view) to depict each hole.

With plain satellite photographic images being able to easily discern the hole features on a satellite image is difficult. The fairway looks exactly like the rough, and honestly, can't even easily be distinguished from trees or even water hazards at times. There is just not enough contrast to see the features on a phone screen in daylight conditions.

This past season, I finally found an app that does a much better job of this - the igolf app (I use it on Android). They re-render each hole in higher contrast graphics, and don't use satellite images. Much easier to see in daylight conditions.

only use this for GPS distances. I don't use any of the other features of the app like scoring, stats, etc... So I cannot comment on how those features work.

Comments

• howaboutmehowaboutme Fairfax, VAMembers Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Thanks for this. The virtual tour is pretty cool.
  • jsanatxjsanatx God Bless Texas Members Posts: 1,974 ✭✭
    The app description says it has a Score Tracker. Apparently, at some point I had it on my iPhone, but deleted it. Can't remember why.

I currently use The Grint. Its a great app for my needs, GPS/ScoreTracking, plus it provides an official USGA handicap tracker.
    917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
    Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
    Titleist 718 AP2s
    Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
    Vokey SM5 46*
    Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
    Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
    Vokey TVD 60*
    SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 436 ✭✭
    jsanatx wrote:

The app description says it has a Score Tracker. Apparently, at some point I had it on my iPhone, but deleted it. Can't remember why.

I currently use The Grint. Its a great app for my needs, GPS/ScoreTracking, plus it provides an official USGA handicap tracker.

I liked some of the features inThe Grint, but it had the same problem as most of the others in that its satellite-based, on-course imagery did not have very good contrast to display on a phone screen in bright daylight conditions.