ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Loving P790 One Year Later?

uglandeuglande Advanced Members Posts: 102 ✭✭
The P790s were the irons of 2018 in terms of overall popularity.

One year later ... who is going to game them again in 2019, and who is moving on? Why?
Wood (08.5) TITLEIST TS3 - Diamana White 70X
Wood (13.5) TITLEIST TS3 - Diamana White 80X
Iron (17.0) TAYLORMADE P790-UDI - Diamana White 90S
Iron (21.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
Iron (23.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
Iron (26.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
Iron (30.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
Iron (35.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
Iron (40.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
Iron (45.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
Wedge (50.0) TITLEIST Vokey SM7-F - DGS200
Wedge (54.0) TITLEIST Vokey SM7-S - DGS200
Wedge (60.0) TITLEIST Vokey SM7-D - DGS200
Putter TAYLORMADE Spider

Comments

• jsnolandjsnoland Advanced Members Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I only play the P790 2-iron/UDI, so maybe this doesn't fully answer your question....but YES, YES and YES - I will absolutely be playing this club in 2019, and hopefully beyond. Easily the best driving iron I've ever had, and blows every other hybrid away as well. For me at least.
    Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5 (set to C1), HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5
    3W - Tour Edge Exotics CBX 13.5*, HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5
    2I - TaylorMade P790 UDI 17*, HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    4I - PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Tour, Project X LZ 6.0 120
    Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy Forged (50.10, 54.10, 58.08), DG Tour Issue
    Putter - TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Center Shaft
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • Lefty431Lefty431 Advanced Members Posts: 1,061 ✭✭
    I was off/on the fence most of the year last year with the p790s, with all the talk of fliers and inconsistent distances I kept switching back and forth with my mp18 sc! But for some reason in the fall, I found my swing, adjusted the swing weight on my 790s and really am loving them right now!! I made the statement yesterday that I'm going to stick with my current bag 790s included! I love the added forgiveness and distance! It also helps the 919 hm pro only come in righty! The black cf19 apex/pro combo does interest me though!
    Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    or Taylormade gapr lo 2 iron w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    Irons: Taylormade p790 4-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Advanced Members Posts: 1,706 ✭✭
    As I just posted in the other thread, I'm 6 months and about 50 rounds in and still in love with them. I have zero issues with flyers and distance control is spot on for me. Had another great ball striking round with them today and they are seriously not leaving my bag in 2019.
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Advanced Members Posts: 4,690 ✭✭
    1 year of playing these Best irons in 30 years of playing. Ain’t going no where.
    TM M3 9.5 GD AD DI Black 6
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
  • EquiptoEquipto Advanced Members Posts: 387 ✭✭
    I play a 790/770 combo set, and I will say the 790s are so long I had to adjust the lofts back to not have such a big gap between my 5 and 6 (770) iron. That said, love my set and no change coming here.
  • DigitalizedOrangeDigitalizedOrange ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 79 ClubWRX
    The fact that nobody is returning or trading in these irons in stores should be the biggest thing to take away. From the largest golf store in the country to smaller shops, nobody is bringing them back. Taylormade has made some great irons over the years, but I don't think any of them has been successful as the p790. There's irons out there that go farther, feel/ look better, or are more forgiving sure. But no other company has been able to put all of that together like taylormade has.
    Taylormade Jetspeed 10.5 w/ TPT 15 MKP-MT-SW
    TEE CBX T3 15* w/ UST Proforce v2 7F4
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ Tensei White 95g Stiff
    Srixion Z u65 20* W/ DI-95x Hybrid
    Taylormade P790 4-PW w/ Nippon Super Peening Orange Stiff
    Scratch Tour DD Grind 52,58
    Taylormade Kia Ma Daytona Tour
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Advanced Members Posts: 4,713 ✭✭
    Only @ 10 rounds with my new-to-me P790s, and half of those rounds are out-of-seasons (so, cold, damp, and windy conditions, mostly).... But my last round with them a few weeks ago was my lowest of the season, so I absolutely can't wait to get a full season in with these in good playing conditions. These things are game-changers. The only place they're going in '19 is everywhere I play.
  • Club GuruClub Guru Advanced Members Posts: 97
    I thought they were the holy grail. Then I played in some tournaments and the fliers became absolutely uncontrollable. There is a reason none of the top pros use them (outside of one to three long irons). I listed mine on eBay today.

Side note. See how many sets are listed on eBay (a lot) and that’s all you need to know about the p790. They are a very good game improvement club but they were marketed as something better than that and Taylormade sucked slot of suckers in.
  • 2717B2717B Advanced Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    Club Guru wrote:

I thought they were the holy grail. Then I played in some tournaments and the fliers became absolutely uncontrollable. There is a reason none of the top pros use them (outside of one to three long irons). I listed mine on eBay today.

Side note. See how many sets are listed on eBay (a lot) and that’s all you need to know about the p790. They are a very good game improvement club but they were marketed as something better than that and Taylormade sucked slot of suckers in.

Aside from 100% forged clubs, these, and most new irons some sort of new technology (hollow heads, foam, inverted cone, jacked lofts etc.). Wiht the new technology, the ball travels farther on well struck shots and on mishits. There is a reason that very few pros play any of the irons with these types of new technology......they don’t want a 9 iron to go 190 yards....or whatever ridiculous distance they can hit. For most, a little more distance and forgiveness is welcome. Search any club on eBay, I predict that you will see them all for sale, despite the hype. I’m sure there are lots of P790’s for sale....probably because they sold so many.
  • TexasCarlosTexasCarlos Unregistered Posts: 861
    Oh they’re staying , I’ve used players cb or a blade my while golfing life and when I switched to these the misses I had were basically on the green or on the fringe where with my other irons I would have been way off and short. Limited practice time made me want these since they would help me on my bad ball striking days, but they also make my good days SO much better.
    G400 LST
    TM SLDR TS
    Apex UT 18'
    Apex MB 18'
    RTX 2.0 Raw
    Ping Anser Milled
  • SpedermanSpederman Members Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I moved on. Didn't care for the feel. Missed the true forged iron feel and went back to srixon z765
  • Butch336699Butch336699 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 218 ClubWRX
    Still have the P790 UDI and 4-PW and I am keeping them. I love the clubs and got a great deal with TMs military discount program. Still have a backup set of Mizuno’s if I want that true forged feel.
  • tpup21tpup21 Members Posts: 8
    Great sticks, nice blend of forgiveness and playability.......not going anywhere
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,813 ✭✭
    The best combination of forgiveness, trajectory, distance and aesthetics in any iron ever. Of course that's just my personal opinion.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • RodCRodC Advanced Members Posts: 350 ✭✭
    I’m so in love with my Mizuno that I only played the 790 like 4 times this year. Still on the bench.

Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Advanced Members Posts: 1,140 ✭✭
    I think they’re phenomenal sticks. Don’t play the 9 and PW though

Really good combination of everything. Definitely takes a little work to find the right shaft combo and loft gapping

Unreal forgiving. Make my bad swings better. Sometimes the ball goes really far. But I usually know why. And ball is part of it.

lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
    I have and play cast, Mizuno forged and the P790’s. I like them all.....each for different reasons. The 790’s are pretty hard to beat for an all around iron. Great distance, forgiveness and workability. Just really good sticks.
  • tpup21tpup21 Members Posts: 8

I think they're phenomenal sticks. Don't play the 9 and PW though

Really good combination of everything. Definitely takes a little work to find the right shaft combo and loft gapping

Unreal forgiving. Make my bad swings better. Sometimes the ball goes really far. But I usually know why. And ball is part of it.
    I dropped the attack wedge, a bit too bulky
  • Pwood28Pwood28 Advanced Members Posts: 321 ✭✭
    The 790s really carried me through a few months of a bad golf swing. When things came around, I just couldn't quite get the short irons to do what I hoped for, so they are now out of the bag now. The 8-PW were giving me inconsistent numbers, and I couldn't figure out why (although I'm sure it's on me). The MP18 combo set I'm playing now has been awesome, and the short irons are responding just as I hoped for. Not sure if I'm going to keep the 790s around for the next swing slump, or just let them go.

Great clubs, and in my opinion these give a golfer a great look while fitting the widest variety of swings and skill. Would highly recommend, just didn't stick in my bag.
    WITB (short set edition)

TM 1017 M1 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Kuro Kage XT 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree - GD AD Hybrid 95g
    Scratch EZ1 - 4,6,8,PW
    Scratch Golf - 56 Degree
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
    2717B wrote:

Club Guru wrote:

Aside from 100% forged clubs, these, and most new irons some sort of new technology (hollow heads, foam, inverted cone, jacked lofts etc.). Wiht the new technology, the ball travels farther on well struck shots and on mishits. There is a reason that very few pros play any of the irons with these types of new technology......they don’t want a 9 iron to go 190 yards....or whatever ridiculous distance they can hit. For most, a little more distance and forgiveness is welcome. Search any club on eBay, I predict that you will see them all for sale, despite the hype. I’m sure there are lots of P790’s for sale....probably because they sold so many.

I agree and you can make the same case for i500's etc where a contracted pro essentially has a choice of two or 3 other irons in the range that are all targeted at better players. A friend of mine has been looking for a used set of 790's at +1" in stiff for a while and been following availability of secondhand 790's generally. The amount on Ebay is pretty low given how many units TM have sold but an even better barometer is how few sets ever come up in the classifieds here, a massive golf website full of equipment ho's.
  • cardia10cardia10 Advanced Members Posts: 2,375 ✭✭
    Club Guru wrote:

Same with me. After 5 rounds and a tracman fitting session, I had to dump them. The fitter said I wasn’t the first with the distance inconsistency issues. I really want to like them, but not sure how to start again. These had project x 6.5 and were probably a tic stiff for me. Any suggestions on shafts?
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Advanced Members Posts: 4,713 ✭✭
    Club Guru wrote:

Between assuming that the P790 were designed for the pros and the notion that people list items on eBay because nobody wants them, there's some seriously flawed logic in this post.
  • GWfoolGWfool Members Posts: 66
    They are coming out of my bag for 2019, but not for any real negative reason. I went to a fitting and got fit into some Epon's that I just love the feel of and a shaft change. I could easily continue to game the 790s with the new shaft though and be plenty happy.
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 6,827 ClubWRX
    edited January 21
    KMeloney wrote:

Club Guru wrote:

Between assuming that the P790 were designed for the pros and the notion that people list items on eBay because nobody wants them, there's some seriously flawed logic in this post.

The fact there are quite a few on eBay and yet they still are at a very high price premium for the used iron market which tells me that they aren't being dumped by the folks who bought them. Same as the G400 Max... I'm looking to buy a set and I could get 2 sets of used irons like Srixons or Callaways for the pricing of a used 3-PW set of P790's.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    cardia10 wrote:

Club Guru wrote:

Side note. See how many sets are listed on eBay (a lot) and that's all you need to know about the p790. They are a very good game improvement club but they were marketed as something better than that and Taylormade sucked slot of suckers in.

Same with me. After 5 rounds and a tracman fitting session, I had to dump them. The fitter said I wasn't the first with the distance inconsistency issues. I really want to like them, but not sure how to start again. These had project x 6.5 and were probably a tic stiff for me. Any suggestions on shafts?

As far as I can tell, the type of player having distance issues is one seeing spin rates that are lower than ideal. So a shaft that is too stiff wouldn't help.

I'm loving mine and am using a higher launch / higher spin shaft than usual and getting a great trajectory without any ballooning from excessive spin. So maybe experiment with a shaft that isn't too stiff for you and perhaps one that is higher launch / spin than normal to see what the numbers look like. I carry a 6 iron 180 yds and have gone from a Modus 120 stiff to NS Pro 950 stiff. On paper it should be way too weak for me but I have a smooth transition and has proved ideal with the stronger lofted / lower spinning 790 heads.
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Advanced Members Posts: 6,337 ✭✭
    Lovin them
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,103 ClubWRX
    I've got about 80 rounds with them now and I feel they are the best irons I have ever played with. I'll play them until they wear out.
  • longofftheteeslongoffthetees Advanced Members Posts: 965
    Played them most of last year, and liked them, but I’m moving on. Hit my i500s more consistent and rarely get the rocket shot 20 yard over the green flier I got with the p790s.
    Cobra F9 10.5* Atmos Blue TS 6S
    Cleveland Hi-Bore 12* 2W TA Steel "The Unicorn"
    Cobra F9 14.5* 3W Atmos Blue TS 7S
    Cobra F9 17* 2H Atmos Black TS 7S
    Cobra F9 OL 5-SW KBS Tour S
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* Aldila Lobster
    Scotty Cameron 5W Custom Weld-Neck
    Scotty Cameron MOTO 5W
    Odyssey PT82
    Slighter Custom Stubby
    TP5x
  • chisagchisag Advanced Members Posts: 2,893 ✭✭
    ... I have changed irons every year for well over 25 years now. Mostly for review purposes but also I love trying out new clubs. The is the first year I will not be changing irons. I have been playing my P790's for almost 1.5 years now and have over 200 rounds with them and for me, they produce the best combination of trajectory, spin, forgiveness and accuracy which most definitely includes distance.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F6 Baffler ... Kuro Kage Black 75s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* 2 iron... HZRDUS Black 85hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P790 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • Taz KimTaz Kim Members Posts: 63
    almost played a full year with them. liked the feel, looks was ok a little bit too thick. biggest gripe was that they were too hot and jumpy. on good shots may jump 20 yards more than the norm for me. switched to ping i500 but didnt like the feel. moved to p760 and i love them.
    Callaway Rogue Epic Sub Zero 10.5 LAGP Ozik white tie stiff
    Cobra f7 Tensei Blue Sitff
    Callaway Rogue Epic 19deg Hybrid,
    4 mid Taylormade Gapr
    Taylormade P760 5-p Moddus 105 stiff
    Titleist Vokey SM7, 52,56,60
    Evnroll ER2 33"
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Advanced Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭
    3 questions:

1. Do you experience fliers with certain clubs?

2. How workable are the shorter irons?

3. How is chipping and pitching with them?
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: He who shall not be named...[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Callaway ChromeSoft 2018 (Yellow)[/font]
    I have had mine almost a year. I really like them. I would argue that I have less fliers with these than with any other iron I have hit. Mishits fly much more consistent distances. Mishits with blades and many other irons are much more punishing.
  • tigercolt77tigercolt77 Advanced Members Posts: 945
    I've had mine a year and don't plan on changing to anything else. Weakened the lifts a bit and have PX lz shafts, work great for me. I don't get the flier statements though. I've never hit a shot that was surprisingly long. I find them very consistent and super forgiving. I had played smaller CB type irons and was doing fine. Played with a guy who was a bit older than me one day who was under par and a very solid ball striker. He was playing GI irons, I about them and he said "why make it any harder than it has to be". I started testing stuff and landed on the p790. No regrets, scoring better and way more consistent.
    Callaway Epic Speeder iv 757
    Taylormade M2 Tour 3hl EF red
    Callaway Epic 3h UST IROD 85
    Taylormade p790 4-9i PX LZ
    Vokey SM6 46f,50f,54v,58m
    Carbon Lajosi DD201 flow neck
  • chisagchisag Advanced Members Posts: 2,893 ✭✭
    2717B wrote:

I have had mine almost a year. I really like them. I would argue that I have less fliers with these than with any other iron I have hit. Mishits fly much more consistent distances. Mishits with blades and many other irons are much more punishing.

... Good stuff. I have never experienced a flier with my P790's bent 1* weak and they are extremely accurate for distance control. As you said, one of the great aspects about their distance control is on slight mishits. My center contact is always dead on but my miss is a little low on the face and I have never played a better iron for low hits, other than the RBZ Tours I gave my son. Thinnish contact produces a slightly lower and slightly shorter shot that still finds the green and that means they have better distance control.

... I read where some are flying their 8 irons 180 or more and I do think with that kind of flash speed there might be variables in distance that just don't exist for more normal swing speeds. My son is still pretty new to the game but as an ex college DE with amazing hand/arm speed he can hit his 60* Scratch wedge 90-125yds and those swings look very similar but his flash speed causes "fliers" from the middle of the fairway. It isn't the club, it is his speed control. He is getting better at producing a consistent swing speed but still air mails a green every now and then.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F6 Baffler ... Kuro Kage Black 75s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* 2 iron... HZRDUS Black 85hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P790 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!!! Advanced Members Posts: 1,112 ✭✭
    I have had mine for over a year. When I first started playing them my distances were all over the place. I got the lofts adjusted and couldn't be happier. My misses are manageable and I have been able to get my carry distances locked in for each club due to my launch monitor. These clubs are staying in my bag for the foreseeable future. Love them and as others have mentioned these are some of the best irons TM has produced. Don't have the flier issues as other have mentioned.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In My Bag[/background][/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g[/background][/font]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX[/background]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Vokey SM6 58*, 50*[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Evnroll ER5 [/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Snell MTB/TP5X[/background][/font]

#insideTMAG 2013

3 questions:

1. No

2. I have no issues working the short irons, moving it both ways and controlling the trajectory

3. Takes a lot of getting used to as the ball comes off the face fast. It does so consistently and is no different to any other distance club but a standard non-hollow head is easier to chip with as the ball comes off deader which is why it's also a fair bit shorter on full shots. I carry Hi toe wedges and favour chipping and pitching with those

3 questions:

1. No

2. I have no issues working the short irons, moving it both ways and controlling the trajectory

3. Takes a lot of getting used to as the ball comes off the face fast. It does so consistently and is no different to any other distance club but a standard non-hollow head is easier to chip with as the ball comes off deader which is why it's also a fair bit shorter on full shots. I carry Hi toe wedges and favour chipping and pitching with those

For me, my cast TA5’s were the easiest to chip with. For whatever reason, I was exceptionally consistent around the green with the TA5’s. The ball seemed to jump off the face of my forged Mizunos. I’m still getting used to the 790’s around the green, but suspect they will be more like the Mizunos than the TA5’s. I need a bunch more rounds to firm up my opinion. In most instances I’m playing one of my cast wedges around the green anyway.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Advanced Members Posts: 2,001 ✭✭
    Mine are staying in. I may change grips but that’s about it.
  • ThorntonMelonThorntonMelon Advanced Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    There's a lot posted on this. The short:

These are unicorn clubs. They feel amazing, they are forgiving as ****, and they're as good an iron as I've ever hit.

If you're a low ball hitter with low spin you MAY experience fliers. I did, on about 15 percent of shots on trackman I'd see spin rates drop about 1000RPM and get an extra 8-10 yards out of them, all the way down to about the 8/9 iron.

I would kill to not have this happen for me, as they'd be my gamers for a long time. I'd certainly give them a go. Great clubs. I just think the truth of the distance control issue is between YES and NO, and much more a MAYBE.
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Advanced Members Posts: 6,337 ✭✭
    Big i would change them grips.

1. No fliers unless it is a lie that calls for it.

2. Works fine, me not so much.

3. Do t chip with them so no clue
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • Hoolagn18Hoolagn18 Members Posts: 55
    uglande wrote:

The P790s were the irons of 2018 in terms of overall popularity.

One year later ... who is going to game them again in 2019, and who is moving on? Why?
    Still gaming the 2 iron (UDI), wouldn't want an entire set of them, no matter what track man says.
  • manima1manima1 Advanced Members Posts: 677 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

The best combination of forgiveness, trajectory, distance and aesthetics in any iron ever. Of course that's just my personal opinion.

JT- your love for these irons kind've puts the whole "higher speed players get flyers with these" to bed. Do you not experience any of these outlier flyer issues being described?
    '16 M2 8.5 tour issued - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Advanced Members Posts: 686 ✭✭
    Sold mine and went to AP2s. I still love the clubs, and recently just purchased the UDI. It's the best in the business in the 3 and 2 iron for sure... But the short irons were tough. Hitting a 9 iron from 150 yards and flying the green sometimes. Other times being pin high, some times being at the front of the green. Dispersion was the problem, I've heard the 760s fixed that issue. Haven't had the opportunity to hit those yet.

A buddy of mine who bought the 790s the same time I did still games them and loves them. He still flies some greens every now and then but he came from Ap2s and gets a lot more distance and height with them so they work for them.

To each their own, they're still amazing clubs. One of my favourites to date.
    Titleist TS2 10.5* Tour Ad Di 6s
    Titleist TS2 15* Tour Ad Di 7s
    Taylormade P790 UDI 17* HZRDUS
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-9 PX Rifle 6.0
    SM7 (46.10.F, 50.08.F, 54.10.S, 58.08.M) PX Rifle 6.0
    Rory McIlroy SSS Newport
    "Golf Babes" Tyson Lamb Marker
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Advanced Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭
    Who plays a combo set, where do you start and what do you do to the lofts of either part of the combo?
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: He who shall not be named...[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Callaway ChromeSoft 2018 (Yellow)[/font]
  • English13English13 Golf Addict Advanced Members Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I have come back to these after 3 months with the 760’s. I love how the 760’s look and feel, would love to carry on with them, but I just couldn’t live with the 1 1/2-2 clubs I lost in distance... hitting an 8 from 150 yards is better than hitting a 6 any day.....
  • PatsNationPatsNation Advanced Members Posts: 1,484 ✭✭
    English13 wrote:

I have come back to these after 3 months with the 760’s. I love how the 760’s look and feel, would love to carry on with them, but I just couldn’t live with the 1 1/2-2 clubs I lost in distance... hitting an 8 from 150 yards is better than hitting a 6 any day.....
    match the lofts. Problem solved
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Advanced Members Posts: 29,901 ✭✭
    PatsNation wrote:

English13 wrote:

match the lofts. Problem solved

Has anyone done this yet? Match the 760 lofts to the 790s?
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,952 ClubWRX
    So, I am on my fourth set. Bought one on eBay, sold them after a couple months for i500. Wished I didn’t, so bought a set on here. Another couple months sold them for jpx 919 forged. Missed the distance so bought a black set on here. Felt harsh so went to an m1 set. Missed the look so ordered a new set from T.M. direct. Unreal. Guess I have a love love relationship with them, wish us luck.
    TaylorMade M6 Driver
    Cobra F9 Fwy
    TaylorMade M6 Hyb
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pro Irons
    Corey Paul Torched 1020 Wedges
    Mannkrafted 1/1 OGG Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Sun Mountain Bag
  • RedbirdRedbird Advanced Members Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    Still have mine, love them. Still hasn't stop me from looking to pick up a set of P760's. lol
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Advanced Members Posts: 29,901 ✭✭

So, I am on my fourth set. Bought one on eBay, sold them after a couple months for i500. Wished I didn’t, so bought a set on here. Another couple months sold them for jpx 919 forged. Missed the distance so bought a black set on here. Felt harsh so went to an m1 set. Missed the look so ordered a new set from T.M. direct. Unreal. Guess I have a love love relationship with them, wish us luck.

Now, that is what I call club hoing. I love it!!