Loving P790 One Year Later?

uglandeuglande Members Posts: 137 ✭✭
The P790s were the irons of 2018 in terms of overall popularity.

One year later ... who is going to game them again in 2019, and who is moving on? Why?
Wood (8.5) TITLEIST TS3 - Mitsubishi Diamana White LTD
Wood (13.5) TITLEIST TS3 - Mitsubishi Diamana White LTD
Iron (17.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
Iron (21.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
Iron (23.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
Iron (26.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
Iron (30.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
Iron (35.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
Iron (40.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
Iron (45.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
Wedge (50.0) TITLEIST Vokey SM7-F - Dynamic Gold
Wedge (54.0) TITLEIST Vokey SM7-S - Dynamic Gold
Wedge (60.0) TITLEIST Vokey SM7-D - Dynamic Gold
Putter TAYLORMADE Spider Center-Shafted
Ball TITLEIST ProV1x

Comments

• jsnolandjsnoland Members Posts: 166 ✭✭
    I only play the P790 2-iron/UDI, so maybe this doesn't fully answer your question....but YES, YES and YES - I will absolutely be playing this club in 2019, and hopefully beyond. Easily the best driving iron I've ever had, and blows every other hybrid away as well. For me at least.
    Driver - Titleist TS3 10.5 (set to B1), Tour AD-IZ 7X
    3W - Titleist TS3 15 (set to C1), Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7X
    2I - TaylorMade P790 UDI 18*, HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    4I - PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Tour, Project X LZ 6.0 120
    Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy Forged (50.10, 54.10, 58.08), DG Tour Issue
    Putter - EVNROLL ER2.2
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • Lefty431Lefty431 Members Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    I was off/on the fence most of the year last year with the p790s, with all the talk of fliers and inconsistent distances I kept switching back and forth with my mp18 sc! But for some reason in the fall, I found my swing, adjusted the swing weight on my 790s and really am loving them right now!! I made the statement yesterday that I'm going to stick with my current bag 790s included! I love the added forgiveness and distance! It also helps the 919 hm pro only come in righty! The black cf19 apex/pro combo does interest me though!
    Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
    Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,735 ✭✭
    As I just posted in the other thread, I'm 6 months and about 50 rounds in and still in love with them. I have zero issues with flyers and distance control is spot on for me. Had another great ball striking round with them today and they are seriously not leaving my bag in 2019.
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Members Posts: 4,866 ✭✭
    1 year of playing these Best irons in 30 years of playing. Ain’t going no where.
    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 Tensei Pro White 60s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • EquiptoEquipto Members Posts: 397 ✭✭
    I play a 790/770 combo set, and I will say the 790s are so long I had to adjust the lofts back to not have such a big gap between my 5 and 6 (770) iron. That said, love my set and no change coming here.
  • DigitalizedOrangeDigitalizedOrange ClubWRX Posts: 81 ✭✭
    The fact that nobody is returning or trading in these irons in stores should be the biggest thing to take away. From the largest golf store in the country to smaller shops, nobody is bringing them back. Taylormade has made some great irons over the years, but I don't think any of them has been successful as the p790. There's irons out there that go farther, feel/ look better, or are more forgiving sure. But no other company has been able to put all of that together like taylormade has.
    Taylormade Jetspeed 10.5 w/ TPT 15 MKP-MT-SW
    TEE CBX T3 15* w/ UST Proforce v2 7F4
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ Tensei White 95g Stiff
    Srixion Z u65 20* W/ DI-95x Hybrid
    Taylormade P790 4-PW w/ Nippon Super Peening Orange Stiff
    Scratch Tour DD Grind 52,58
    Taylormade Kia Ma Daytona Tour
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,798 ✭✭
    Only @ 10 rounds with my new-to-me P790s, and half of those rounds are out-of-seasons (so, cold, damp, and windy conditions, mostly).... But my last round with them a few weeks ago was my lowest of the season, so I absolutely can't wait to get a full season in with these in good playing conditions. These things are game-changers. The only place they're going in '19 is everywhere I play.
  • Club GuruClub Guru Members Posts: 101 ✭✭
    I thought they were the holy grail. Then I played in some tournaments and the fliers became absolutely uncontrollable. There is a reason none of the top pros use them (outside of one to three long irons). I listed mine on eBay today.

Side note. See how many sets are listed on eBay (a lot) and that’s all you need to know about the p790. They are a very good game improvement club but they were marketed as something better than that and Taylormade sucked slot of suckers in.
  • 2717B2717B Members Posts: 281 ✭✭
    Club Guru wrote:

I thought they were the holy grail. Then I played in some tournaments and the fliers became absolutely uncontrollable. There is a reason none of the top pros use them (outside of one to three long irons). I listed mine on eBay today.

Side note. See how many sets are listed on eBay (a lot) and that’s all you need to know about the p790. They are a very good game improvement club but they were marketed as something better than that and Taylormade sucked slot of suckers in.

Aside from 100% forged clubs, these, and most new irons some sort of new technology (hollow heads, foam, inverted cone, jacked lofts etc.). Wiht the new technology, the ball travels farther on well struck shots and on mishits. There is a reason that very few pros play any of the irons with these types of new technology......they don’t want a 9 iron to go 190 yards....or whatever ridiculous distance they can hit. For most, a little more distance and forgiveness is welcome. Search any club on eBay, I predict that you will see them all for sale, despite the hype. I’m sure there are lots of P790’s for sale....probably because they sold so many.
  • TexasCarlosTexasCarlos Unregistered Posts: 861 ✭✭
    Oh they’re staying , I’ve used players cb or a blade my while golfing life and when I switched to these the misses I had were basically on the green or on the fringe where with my other irons I would have been way off and short. Limited practice time made me want these since they would help me on my bad ball striking days, but they also make my good days SO much better.
    G400 LST
    TM SLDR TS
    Apex UT 18'
    Apex MB 18'
    RTX 2.0 Raw
    Ping Anser Milled
  • SpedermanSpederman Members Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I moved on. Didn't care for the feel. Missed the true forged iron feel and went back to srixon z765
  • Butch336699Butch336699 ClubWRX Posts: 226 ClubWRX
    Still have the P790 UDI and 4-PW and I am keeping them. I love the clubs and got a great deal with TMs military discount program. Still have a backup set of Mizuno’s if I want that true forged feel.
  • tpup21tpup21 Members Posts: 8
    Great sticks, nice blend of forgiveness and playability.......not going anywhere
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,938 ✭✭
    The best combination of forgiveness, trajectory, distance and aesthetics in any iron ever. Of course that's just my personal opinion.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • RodCRodC Members Posts: 358 ✭✭
    I’m so in love with my Mizuno that I only played the 790 like 4 times this year. Still on the bench.

Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Members Posts: 1,289 ✭✭
    I think they’re phenomenal sticks. Don’t play the 9 and PW though

Really good combination of everything. Definitely takes a little work to find the right shaft combo and loft gapping

Unreal forgiving. Make my bad swings better. Sometimes the ball goes really far. But I usually know why. And ball is part of it.

lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • 2717B2717B Members Posts: 281 ✭✭
    I have and play cast, Mizuno forged and the P790’s. I like them all.....each for different reasons. The 790’s are pretty hard to beat for an all around iron. Great distance, forgiveness and workability. Just really good sticks.
  • tpup21tpup21 Members Posts: 8

I think they're phenomenal sticks. Don't play the 9 and PW though

Really good combination of everything. Definitely takes a little work to find the right shaft combo and loft gapping

Unreal forgiving. Make my bad swings better. Sometimes the ball goes really far. But I usually know why. And ball is part of it.
    I dropped the attack wedge, a bit too bulky
  • Pwood28Pwood28 Members Posts: 389 ✭✭
    The 790s really carried me through a few months of a bad golf swing. When things came around, I just couldn't quite get the short irons to do what I hoped for, so they are now out of the bag now. The 8-PW were giving me inconsistent numbers, and I couldn't figure out why (although I'm sure it's on me). The MP18 combo set I'm playing now has been awesome, and the short irons are responding just as I hoped for. Not sure if I'm going to keep the 790s around for the next swing slump, or just let them go.

Great clubs, and in my opinion these give a golfer a great look while fitting the widest variety of swings and skill. Would highly recommend, just didn't stick in my bag.
    WITB (short set edition)
    8 club bag (play most of my rounds with this setup):
    TM M3 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Evenflow Black 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree 
    NCW Large Cavity - 24 degree 
    NCW Small Cavity - 32 & 40 degree 
    NCW MB - 48 degree 
    NCW Wedge - 56 degree 
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
    2717B wrote:

Club Guru wrote:

Aside from 100% forged clubs, these, and most new irons some sort of new technology (hollow heads, foam, inverted cone, jacked lofts etc.). Wiht the new technology, the ball travels farther on well struck shots and on mishits. There is a reason that very few pros play any of the irons with these types of new technology......they don’t want a 9 iron to go 190 yards....or whatever ridiculous distance they can hit. For most, a little more distance and forgiveness is welcome. Search any club on eBay, I predict that you will see them all for sale, despite the hype. I’m sure there are lots of P790’s for sale....probably because they sold so many.

I agree and you can make the same case for i500's etc where a contracted pro essentially has a choice of two or 3 other irons in the range that are all targeted at better players. A friend of mine has been looking for a used set of 790's at +1" in stiff for a while and been following availability of secondhand 790's generally. The amount on Ebay is pretty low given how many units TM have sold but an even better barometer is how few sets ever come up in the classifieds here, a massive golf website full of equipment ho's.
  • cardia10cardia10 Members Posts: 2,456 ✭✭
    Club Guru wrote:

Same with me. After 5 rounds and a tracman fitting session, I had to dump them. The fitter said I wasn’t the first with the distance inconsistency issues. I really want to like them, but not sure how to start again. These had project x 6.5 and were probably a tic stiff for me. Any suggestions on shafts?
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,798 ✭✭
    Club Guru wrote:

Between assuming that the P790 were designed for the pros and the notion that people list items on eBay because nobody wants them, there's some seriously flawed logic in this post.
  • GWfoolGWfool Members Posts: 74 ✭✭
    They are coming out of my bag for 2019, but not for any real negative reason. I went to a fitting and got fit into some Epon's that I just love the feel of and a shaft change. I could easily continue to game the 790s with the new shaft though and be plenty happy.
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,877 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 21, 2019 3:21pm #25
    KMeloney wrote:

Club Guru wrote:

Between assuming that the P790 were designed for the pros and the notion that people list items on eBay because nobody wants them, there's some seriously flawed logic in this post.

The fact there are quite a few on eBay and yet they still are at a very high price premium for the used iron market which tells me that they aren't being dumped by the folks who bought them. Same as the G400 Max... I'm looking to buy a set and I could get 2 sets of used irons like Srixons or Callaways for the pricing of a used 3-PW set of P790's.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    cardia10 wrote:

Club Guru wrote:

Side note. See how many sets are listed on eBay (a lot) and that's all you need to know about the p790. They are a very good game improvement club but they were marketed as something better than that and Taylormade sucked slot of suckers in.

Same with me. After 5 rounds and a tracman fitting session, I had to dump them. The fitter said I wasn't the first with the distance inconsistency issues. I really want to like them, but not sure how to start again. These had project x 6.5 and were probably a tic stiff for me. Any suggestions on shafts?

As far as I can tell, the type of player having distance issues is one seeing spin rates that are lower than ideal. So a shaft that is too stiff wouldn't help.

I'm loving mine and am using a higher launch / higher spin shaft than usual and getting a great trajectory without any ballooning from excessive spin. So maybe experiment with a shaft that isn't too stiff for you and perhaps one that is higher launch / spin than normal to see what the numbers look like. I carry a 6 iron 180 yds and have gone from a Modus 120 stiff to NS Pro 950 stiff. On paper it should be way too weak for me but I have a smooth transition and has proved ideal with the stronger lofted / lower spinning 790 heads.
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,349 ✭✭
    Lovin them
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,117 ClubWRX
    I've got about 80 rounds with them now and I feel they are the best irons I have ever played with. I'll play them until they wear out.
  • longofftheteeslongoffthetees GeorgiaMembers Posts: 967 ✭✭
    Played them most of last year, and liked them, but I’m moving on. Hit my i500s more consistent and rarely get the rocket shot 20 yard over the green flier I got with the p790s.
    Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 10.5* w/ TP6HDe 
    Cleveland Hi-Bore 12* "The Unicorn”
    TaylorMade V-Steel TS 13* 
    Callaway Apex CF19 4-7
    Callaway Apex Pro 19 8-GW
    Callaway MD4 Tactical 54S, 60X
    ’19 Pro V1x or TP5x
  • chisagchisag Members Posts: 2,985 ✭✭
    ... I have changed irons every year for well over 25 years now. Mostly for review purposes but also I love trying out new clubs. The is the first year I will not be changing irons. I have been playing my P790's for almost 1.5 years now and have over 200 rounds with them and for me, they produce the best combination of trajectory, spin, forgiveness and accuracy which most definitely includes distance.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Tailor-made RBZ Tour 18.5 and 21.5 hybrid ... Matrix Altus 85s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • Taz KimTaz Kim Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    almost played a full year with them. liked the feel, looks was ok a little bit too thick. biggest gripe was that they were too hot and jumpy. on good shots may jump 20 yards more than the norm for me. switched to ping i500 but didnt like the feel. moved to p760 and i love them.
    Callaway Rogue Epic Sub Zero 10.5 LAGP Ozik white tie stiff
    Cobra f7 Tensei Blue Sitff
    Callaway Rogue Epic 19deg Hybrid,
    4 mid Taylormade Gapr
    Taylormade P760 5-p Moddus 105 stiff
    Titleist Vokey SM7, 52,56,60
    Evnroll ER2 33"