Loving P790 One Year Later?

124»

Comments

• BunkersarebigcupsBunkersarebigcups Members  564WRX Points: 79Handicap: 14.7Posts: 564 Golden Tee
    <br />
    PatsNation wrote:
    <br />
    uglande wrote:
    <br />
    Thanks for all the comments so far. I started this thread because I was considering moving to the P790s, and now that's exactly what I'm doing. I am a high spin player and love the results I am getting so far from the 5 and 7 irons (the others are on order).<br />
    <br />
    It's funny to hear people talking about hitting P790 8-irons 200 yards. I think that's probably either BS or a mis-read. (Or those golfers have a strange combination of super-low spin and high clubbed speed).<br />
    <br />
    Anyway, for me, I can consistently hit the 5-iron to 195 and rolling out to 205, so I am able to retain the stopping power on a 200-plus club. Similarly, the 7-iron goes to about 168 and stops at around 175. Adequate distances and plenty of spin left to keep it under control. With my old forged clubs (of course, I miss the feel), I would practically be backing up a 7-iron on the green with all my spin. (My GC results have been consistent, BTW, no fliers or distance control issues. Amazingly consistent, actually, in part because they are so forgiving on off-center strikes).<br />
    <br />
    I still need to work on my strike to keep my spin in the right zone, but P790s have been an equipment breakthrough for me so far. I never thought I would play "power" irons. I LOVE forged. But for my swing/delivery, these give me the best results.<br />
    I agree high launch/high spin guys these irons are real good<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    What about low/mid flight high spin guys? <br />
    <br />
    I am thinking of going to club champion as my spin numbers continue to be an issue. A trackman I have access to the only one I remember is my 7 iron. Ball speed was upper 120's to 130, launch angle was around 15* and my spin was in the 7600 range. This has been similar with most shafts I have tried, and really become an issue since switching from my J40 CB's to the Srixon 765's. My long irons in the 565's are low enough launching to have not been an issue. I am seeing some major ballooning with my short irons into the wind, and crazy weird distances down wind.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    You Sir might be the guy the PX shaft was designed for. Launches higher than other shafts in the category (eg Dynamic Gold) but is lower spinning. Make sure you try that shaft!
    Posted:
    910 D2 9.5     RIP Alpha 60 Stiff (Surefit
    On -, @D4)

RBZ Hybrid Tour 3 18,5*     Stock stiff shaft
    Nike VR Hybrid 21*      Aldila Voodoo Regular
    MP 52 4-PW     PX 5.5
    MP T11 52/07, 56/13, 60/05     DG S200
    Mizuno/Bettinardi BC1
    Bridgestone B330, soon to switch over to Tour B X
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members  198WRX Points: 94Handicap: 7Posts: 198 Fairways
    Near the end of last year I was on the course and it was pretty much deserted so I had brought out several hybrids to try. I picked an elevated green some distance out and hit different hybrids into it. Just for the **** of it I pulled my P790 5 iron out smoked three shots at the pin. These shots just bored through the cold wind and upon my arrival at the green, they had stopped faster than the hybrids. I was so shocked the hybrids will be sold this summer and I purchased a P790 4 iron.
    Posted:
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX  2181WRX Points: 190Handicap: 7.7Posts: 2,181 ClubWRX
    i have an m6 4 iron, and p790 5-aw. i did just order some mizuno hot metal pros to put against p790, with a regular HM 4i. let's see what happens!
    Posted:
    TM Sim Driver
    TM M5 Fwy
    Callaway Super 3 Hyb
    Mizuno HM Pro Irons
    Mizuno T20 Wedges
    Scotty Custom NP 2 Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Mizuno Bag
  • nDroid3nDroid3 USAMembers  119WRX Points: 34Posts: 119 Fairways
    I might actually switch to the 919 Forged. Gonna try it out this weekend
    Posted:
  • WoodersonWooderson Members  2100WRX Points: 221Handicap: 13Posts: 2,100 Platinum Tees
    After a year of play are you guys seeing much bag chatter if any at all?
    Posted:
    Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G410 LST 10.5° EF White 65s 44.5"
    Ping G410 LST 14.5° EF White 75s
    Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
    Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid EF White
    TaylorMade p790 7-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW/LW
    Piretti Potenza/Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members  2861WRX Points: 743Posts: 2,861 Titanium Tees
    Wooderson wrote:
    After a year of play are you guys seeing much bag chatter if any at all?
    <br />
    <br />
    I’m 6 months in and have some minor chatter but nothing terrible. It’s really light and I don’t baby them too much.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members  8409WRX Points: 350Handicap: 12.1Posts: 8,409 Titanium Tees
    How about some wear photos? I’d like to see how these are holding up.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
    Cwing wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I probably averaged 1 round per week for the past 6 months. <br />
    <br />
    Posted:
  • WoodersonWooderson Members  2100WRX Points: 221Handicap: 13Posts: 2,100 Platinum Tees
    Biggern,<br />
    <br />
    Not bad at all. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
    Posted:
    Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G410 LST 10.5° EF White 65s 44.5"
    Ping G410 LST 14.5° EF White 75s
    Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
    Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid EF White
    TaylorMade p790 7-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW/LW
    Piretti Potenza/Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E
  • nDroid3nDroid3 USAMembers  119WRX Points: 34Posts: 119 Fairways
    P790s have a great finish to them. They still look good in any used condition.
    Posted:
    Wooderson wrote:
    Biggern,<br />
    <br />
    Not bad at all. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
    <br />
    <br />
    No problem. My heart wanted to get the black finish but my head said to go with the chrome.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • mcasella08mcasella08 Members  89WRX Points: 19Handicap: 10Posts: 89 Fairways
    I went with P770's and I don't have any regrets - way more consistent, easier to shape and better feel for me.
    Posted:
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members  8409WRX Points: 350Handicap: 12.1Posts: 8,409 Titanium Tees
    BiggErn wrote:
    <br />
    Cwing wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Walk or ride? Thank you for the photos. The faces seem to look fine. The club chatter is likely about the same as most Forged heads.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
    Cwing wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:
    <br />
    Cwing wrote:
    How about some wear photos? I&#146;d like to see how these are holding up.
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Walk or ride? Thank you for the photos. The faces seem to look fine. The club chatter is likely about the same as most Forged heads.
    <br />
    <br />
    I ride. Face was of PW which is what I usually loosen up with.
    Posted:
  • Soccerrick10Soccerrick10 Members  117WRX Points: 65Posts: 117 Fairways
    I really loved them in the 4-7. I liked the 8-P, but they did feel like they came from two different sets of clubs.
    Posted:
  • ylwdogscylwdogsc Members  42WRX Points: 49Handicap: 6-7Posts: 42 Bunkers
    ylwdogsc wrote:
    <br />
    Been hating mine lately. Switched back to my MP15s for a bit and then found my RSi 2’s. Not sure why I went away from them. Consistent with no surprises. Well see when the weather gets better but for now they’re staying in the bag<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    They're back! Swapped out the KBS C-Taper Lite shafts for KBS Tour 120's and am loving them again! Straighter with a higher ball flight.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M6 Driver w/Mitsubishi Tensei Orange (S)
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood (S)
    Ping 410 3 Hybrid w/Tensei Blue (S)
    Callaway Apex Pro '19 4-PW/Project X Catalyst 100 6.0(S)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 50.08F w/Nippon Modus 125 (S)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10S w/Nippon Modus 125 (S)Titleist Vokey SM7 Tour Chrome 58.14KScotty Cameron 2014 Fastback w/Superstroke Countercore Pistol GT 1.0 (currently in time out)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.