Name 3 traits that make a player someone you enjoy having in your group...and 3 traits that make you

Everything except for hot/sexy (yes, Paige Spiranac would make a few list) is within limits but I really would like to know what makes or breaks a playing partner for you. I will give it a try:

Attributes:

1. Enthusiasm for the game.

2. Respect for the rules and players around them.

3. Brisk pace of play (not polo but closer to that than a chess match). OK, if you can shoot your HC without stopping the cart I am OK with that...just give me a second and I will get the flag for you.

Yea....I am done with you because:

1. You b**** and moan after every shot...while you tell me how great you were last round.

2. There is no evidence you know what an EarPod is, because we are only on the second tee and I have heard songs from Queen, Abba, and Metallica while you have already carded your first snow man due to 2 lost balls. And I am pretty sure the group waiting on us can hear them too...those speakers are pretty impressive to be so small.

3. We only make it to the fourth hole before you step in someone else line for the third time. Yes, people have walked there all day but......

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

realistic expectations, or none

plays own game

proper pace of play

poor etiquette

unrealistic expectations

those who don't know when to stop talking.....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Drinks beer

Plays for money

Likes good country music

Frowns upon drinking

Thinks every round is Masters Sunday

Poor golf etiquette

Lol, I’ve walked away from rounds because playing partners would not turn down their gawdawful country music. I’m all for music during rounds but if we can’t agree on something then turn it off...or use headphones.

#1 Enjoys a drink while playing

#2 Plays Fast

#3 Plays Fast

#1-#3 Plays slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 3 Wood w/ TD-70-S

TaylorMade Stage2 Tour 19* Fujikura Tour Spec VC 6.2

Mizuno Fli hi 4-w/Steelfiber 80-S

Mizuno 225, 5-PW with Modus 105-S

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Titleist ProV1/ 

Sense of humor, but knows when to shut up. Don’t needle the guy having his lowest round since the Carter administration.

Keeps it moving at a reasonable pace. I don’t want to run, but be ready when it’s your turn.

Basic golf etiquette.

Music - I like enjoying the outdoors without a soundtrack.

Fun sucks - Can’t let others have a good time just because you’re playing poorly? Stay home.

Constant barrage of golf tips and helpful hints. I don’t want to hear about my grip from some guy who shot 62 on the front.

Honorable mention: The single who tries to direct me to the red tees when he joins us on the first tee.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Players I like:

Ready golf, know the rules, solid etiquette, sense of humour, don't take golf outrageously seriously, solid pace of play, no excuses, no moaning, ability to discuss a wide range of subject matters

Players that suck:

Rules book up their arse and they don't know them, don't understand sarcasm, slow, think they are 2's when they are 15's, seld diagnose after each shot, advice on your bad shots, pouters, tantrum throwers, screamers, do these things when others are hitting; moving, random noise, yapping (generally discombobulated)

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Good:

1. Has fun/keeps it fun- even if not playing their best

2. Keeps a good pace of play

3. Good etiquette

Bad:

1. SLOW PLAY, SLOW PLAY, SLOW PLAY!!!

2. Is a 20+ cap but feels the need to explain what he or other players in the group did wrong on their last swing, or just won’t shut up in general.

3. Poor attitude or bringing the mood down if not playing well.

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

Smiles often...even when the wheels fall off

Respects the rules and the scorecard. (It takes guts to take a snowman with class).

Takes care of the golf course. Fix ball marks and divots.

Arrogance

Non-stop talker.

Ball-retriever guy. You’ve found 87 balls already and we’re only on the 2nd hole. C’ ya.

Players I like:

Ready golf, know the rules, solid etiquette, sense of humour, don't take golf outrageously seriously, solid pace of play, no excuses, no moaning, ability to discuss a wide range of subject matters

Players that suck:

Rules book up their arse and they don't know them, don't understand sarcasm, slow, think they are 2's when they are 15's, seld diagnose after each shot, advice on your bad shots, pouters, tantrum throwers, screamers, do these things when others are hitting; moving, random noise, yapping (generally discombobulated)

That last one is one of my only deal breakers besides slo-mo.

The guy who is always somehow not only in your peripheral vision, but moving or scratching or talking.

Brilliant topic.

Enjoy:

1. Someone with a reverence for the game

2. Someone that has the revelation that it's just a "game"

3. Someone that adds to the enjoyment of the round

Avoid:

1. Someone with no appreciation for the spirit of the game

2. Someone that emotes at every strike

3. Someone that makes the round all about themself

Players I like:

Players that suck:

That last one is one of my only deal breakers besides slo-mo.

The guy who is always somehow not only in your peripheral vision, but moving or scratching or talking.

And these guys have no clue they are like this....

EvnRoll ER9

Players I like:

Players that suck:

Yep!

Respects the game

Respects the course

Respects the players

Yep!

1 A sense of humour and intelligent conversation.

2 As already mentioned a realistic idea of what you will score.

3 Playing when ready.

-1 Slow play....aka Mr Bushnell and GPS watch , who despite being off 22 thinks he can reach from 290 into a cold breeze.

-2 False compliments when you don't get a good result.....the person who says "unlucky" when you end up out of bounds or in a really bad lie.

-3 Carpark member. Engine running before you have signed your card....allergic to buying an after round drink.

1. Keeps the ball in play and watches closely if their ball enters a penalty area.

2. Does not play music on the course.

3. Doesn't feel the need to maintain a running commentary throughout the round.

1. Has no idea where their errant shots end up.

2. Plays music on the course.

3. Non stop talking.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

-Nice person, good sense of humor

-Likes to have a beer after is nice but not a necessity....MtlJeff has no qualms about drinking alone (tear runs down face)

-Plays at decent pace

-Knows at least a moderate amount about etiquette

-I don't like really slow players, like the ones with elaborate practice routines and that take 5 hours

-Angry people

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

-Nice person, good sense of humor

-Likes to have a beer after is nice but not a necessity....MtlJeff has no qualms about drinking alone (tear runs down face)

-Plays at decent pace

-Knows at least a moderate amount about etiquette

-I don't like really slow players, like the ones with elaborate practice routines and that take 5 hours

-Angry people

Are you related to Mr. Jack Pearsall?

EvnRoll ER9

Notice that the vast majority of traits listed are in fact Etiquette?

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=pe&section=rule&rulenum=1

I won't be much different. I do need to add something upfront, which is, that the vast majority of my rounds are competitive. I play in numerous tournaments/comps both in and outside my club - but the vast majority of my non-tournament rounds are played in a competitive group of about 30 guys at my home course. We play by the rules and putt out. (My expectations in non-competitive rounds change when I play outside of this group.):

1. Player has good Etiquette

2. Player has a good sense of humor.

3. Player competes. The player understands his game and capabilities and tries hard. In other words, he is a student of the game – he has thought about it. He has a set of clubs and a strategy that fit his game.

Bad traits:

1. Bad Etiquette (slow play, sandbagging, etc - are all part of bad etiquette. And so are my next two points)

2. Uncompetitive or bad attitude. Rarely or never comes through – he is more of a watcher and/or quitter. (You personally see this only when the player is in your foursome.)

3. Over-competitive. This often leads to saying or doing inappropriate things at crunch time (gamesmanship tactics).

I believe it was Jackie Burke who said he would rather play with #3 above than #2. He didn't like the player who just does not give a damn. And at least player #3 will make you determined and compete as hard as possible. I agree with that. It makes for a better game whether he is your partner or opponent. But a steady diet of the player #3 becomes very tiresome.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

I am enjoying the comments. I really started this to learn...the last thing I want to do on the golf course is make the second part of very many list. A couple of the things do have me thinking...do I ever??

I will have a few of things of my own I will be watching after this :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Enjoy:

1. Reasonably fast player, usually ready to hit when it is their turn/plays ready golf, searches minimally for lost balls, few if any practice swings.

2. Walkers, or at least riders that don't give me a hard time about walking or try to persuade me to put my bag on their cart.

3. People who play a realistic/suitable set of tees for their games.

4. People who play very often, regardless of their skill level, just seem to move themselves around the course more efficiently and more open to playing with random strangers. So given a choice I'd prefer to play with someone like me who plays a lot. Can't believe how many slow, infrequent players show up with their buddy for an 8am Saturday tee time at a muni and are surprised they have to play with other people.

5. Low handicap/scratch golfers who are very humble about their abilities; can break par without making a big fuss or show over it; high handicappers who are very understanding of their abilities and limitations, and can laugh off the bad shots easily.

Dislike:

1. Gives unsolicitied swing advice during the round, even if they are a pro I hate this. HATE this.

2. General motormouth traits, talks for the sake of talking, says "nice shot" on every shot that everyone in the group hits even if it's slicing towards a pond.

3. Plays a music speaker I can hear more than 20 feet away from their cart or bag, which is most of them.

4. Talks politics on the course, whether I agree with their position or not.

5. Doesn't respect the course; doesn't rake bunkers, doesn't fix ball marks, drives their cart where it shouldn't go, etc. Acting like a sex-depraved 18 year old to the cart girl when you are 60 with a gut.

Sorry that was 5 each...

1. Competes hard

2. Has integrity, maintains a legit handicap

3. Is considerate of others (asks before lighting a cigar or playing music, helps look for errant shots, compliments good play)

1. Is an obvious sandbagger

2. Is inconsiderate (cigar at 7:00 am, loud music from the get go, gets hammered on the course and shows it)

3. Never stops talking if the other person is quiet

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

1. Good personality and enjoys conversation when walking, but knows when the shot process starts.

2. Cares about their game enough that it’s more than just a social event, but doesn’t let temper carry over to whole round

3. Is aware of pace of play

Cons:

1. 15 practice swings and a statue of liberty pre-shot

2. Over the top temper. You’re not that good, none of us are.

3. Overall bad etiquette

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova