Bounced one off the pin this afternoon. Still no hole-in-one for me...

LCPLCP Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭
About 160 into a cross head wind in 50º temps. It was a beautiful perfect easy smooth strike. 7 iron ball mark was about 2 feet directly in front of the pin. Ball ended up about 10 inches right of the hole. Putted it in with the stick in, careful to not let my putter hit the stick on the follow through. Visually from the tee box, it danced around the hole, that's it hitting the pin on the bounce it seems. I'm guessing I'm around 750 lifetime rounds, still no hole in one. Earlier in the day I missed an eagle on a par 5 greenside chip by about 2 inches too. Turning those two birdies into eagles would have really been neat and made the worst, wet, sloppy winter course conditions I've had to deal with a pleasure to remember.

Comments

• WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,195 ✭✭
    Continue to play as well as you are, a HIO should come about.

Just a matter of luck, with a bit of skill thrown in.

I've had three in over 50 years of golf, unofficial, playing alone.

It'll come, have faith.
  • 3 Jack Par3 Jack Par I only answer to "Ace" now Members, ClubWRX Posts: 6,080 ClubWRX
    It took me about 31 years and who knows how many career rounds before I got my first one in my first official round last year. My iron shots generally stop pretty quickly when they hit the green, which I think works against holing a lot of shots, so it wasn't a huge surprise that when I finally got mine, it flew right in the jar (it took a little chunk out of the edge of the cup -- I didn't actually see it go in). I'd holed maybe 5 shots the fairway/rough from outside 75 yards prior to that. All you can do is keep playing and firing at flags, and chances are, one of them will eventually go in. It's pretty cool when one finally does!
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
    Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
    Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
    Titleist Vokey Forged 52F & 58K, DG S400,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200 (sometimes)
    Byron Morgan B-17, 35", Blue Oil
    WITB Link
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 529 ✭✭
    LCP wrote:

I'm guessing I'm around 750 lifetime rounds, still no hole in one.

I have no idea of how many rounds I've played in over 30 years golfing but it's a lot more than that. I've stopped counting the number of times I've hit the flag or had a lip-out on a par 3.

Still no HIO.

Every year I say this is the year.
  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,230 ✭✭
    edited Jan 24, 2019 3:27pm #5
    I flew one into the cup and have it bounce 30 feet away (proceeded to 3-jack) before I got my first. Now I have 2. It will happen.

PS 750 rounds is nothing. Insurance companies give 12,500 to 1 odds on an ace. Figure average of 4 par 3s per round and you're at 3000 chances.

To make you feel even better, pros have a 1 in 2500 chance.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭
    The close ones hurt the most. Keep playing; hopefully you'll get one soon! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • PMACGolfPMACGolf Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I’ve never had one either, a couple weeks ago I landed it in the cup and it bounced out, I made par �
  • LCPLCP Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭
    3 Jack Par wrote:

It took me about 31 years and who knows how many career rounds before I got my first one in my first official round last year. My iron shots generally stop pretty quickly when they hit the green, which I think works against holing a lot of shots, so it wasn't a huge surprise that when I finally got mine, it flew right in the jar (it took a little chunk out of the edge of the cup -- I didn't actually see it go in). I'd holed maybe 5 shots the fairway/rough from outside 75 yards prior to that. All you can do is keep playing and firing at flags, and chances are, one of them will eventually go in. It's pretty cool when one finally does!

Yep, my high height, high SS shots usually bounce and stop or backup if headwind and short iron, maybe roll a yard or two if a tail wind trajectory. Low chances of going in because distance has to be perfect in addition to line.
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 897 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 23, 2019 8:37am #9
    Same here, been playing for almost 20 years. Have 5 eagles on Par 4's from 140 and out but never a hole in one. Rinsed my first one on a 158 yard Par 3 once then hit my 3rd shot and it stopped on the lip, actually hanging over the lip but didn't drop. Would have still just been a par though.

OP - I see you're in Houston, where were you playing when this happened??

TAYLOR MADE M6 10.5* | Ventus 6-S
    TAYLOR MADE M4 3wd | Graphite Design IZ-7 stiff
    ADAMS PRO A12 - 2 & 3 Hybrids | UST Mamiya VTS Silver
    PXG GEN-2 0311XF 4 - 6 irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PXG GEN-2 0311P 7 - GW irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 SW 54* - 12 | Wedge Flex
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 LW 58* - 6 | Wedge Flex
    PXG GUNBOAT H Putter
    PXG STAFF BAG

• mjfornmjforn Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Maybe this year.

My regular game last year one of the guys hit one. In the rules a HIO gets the whole nine yards it was over 600 bucks....That was a tough ride home.

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    Matt

Callaway GBB Epic 9*

Callaway Rogue Graphite R-Flex 4-AW

Cleveland CBX 52*, 56*, 60*

Odyssey Works SS #1 Putter

Ammo:
    K 3s
    Titleist Tour Soft
    Titliest NXT s
    K Sigs (in the shag bag)