2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Simulator in your home?

cookszn

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well "nice" is a bit subjective in terms of what might be important to you. And it's also going to depend on things like how much DIY you might want to take on, How frugal in shopping around for various parts (all new or are you willing to consider used items) or would you rather get some kind of "package" deal from a single source, do you want to project onto the hitting screen or just look at a computer monitor to the side, quality and size of the screen, How much protection from stray balls do you need for the location you plan to use, do you want/need to support both left and right handed players, etc...

$3k-$5 is certainly possible for a decent amount of accuracy and minimal extras and a lot of DIY work. The other end of what might be enough to qualify for 'nice' might have a low end closer to $7k-$10k.

Besides the cost of the simulator equipment (screen, net, projector, swing analyser, etc.), hitting a driver indoors is LOUD. Unless you live alone in the country, you may need to factor in cost for sound deadening for your home relationships and neighbors.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Stuart summed it up well. There's a lot of variance depending on how much you want to do yourself vs. how much you just want to buy. As with most things, you can save quite a bit of money by doing a lot of it yourself. Also depends on new vs. used regarding some of the pieces.

If you won't be using a screen and projector (just using the computer for the graphics) you can save some money.

A brand new skytrak is $1700. Mats, screens and projectors are not wildly expensive. The x-factor is whether or not you already have a suitable computer or if you'll need to spring for one.

Even if you have to start from scratch, 3k is doable.

How much $ does it roughly cost to build and install a “nice” golf simulator in your home?

How many of you have done it?

Here is my build.

Flightscope Xi Tour w/support plan - $8,170 (Flightscope)

Country Club Elite 5x5 - $474 (Costco)

Carls Preferred Impact Screen 14x8.1 - $535 (Amazon)

BenQ TH671ST - $749 (Amazon)

VideoSecu Projector Mount - $18 (Amazon)

iPad 5th Gen - $249 (Best Buy)

Apple Lightning to HDMI Adapter - $40 (Amazon)

AboveTek iPad Wall Mount - $25 (Amazon)

Monoprice Cabernet HDMI 30ft - $34 (Amazon)

Extension Cord 25ft - $16 (Amazon)

Ceiling Lighting Reconfig - $40 (Lowes)

Total - $10,350

http://www.golfwrx.c...r-for-man-cave/

Best money I have spent in a long time.

I've just started the process of building one right now. If you string it out gradually over time, the cost is a lot more manageable. For example, I built the frame earlier this month. Next month I'll be adding some artificial turf. Probably in about April I'll buy a screen. Then over the summer I'll add a hitting mat. Then in the fall I'll buy a projector. Last but not least is the simulator software, which I'm hoping to get around Christmas.

So I'm pretty much taking all of 2019 to put mine together piece by piece. A little easier to make happen as opposed to just buying everything at once.

I've just started the process of building one right now. If you string it out gradually over time, the cost is a lot more manageable. For example, I built the frame earlier this month. Next month I'll be adding some artificial turf. Probably in about April I'll buy a screen. Then over the summer I'll add a hitting mat. Then in the fall I'll buy a projector. Last but not least is the simulator software, which I'm hoping to get around Christmas.

So I'm pretty much taking all of 2019 to put mine together piece by piece. A little easier to make happen as opposed to just buying everything at once.

What LM did you buy? Sim software shouldn't be that expensive

What LM did you buy? Sim software shouldn't be that expensive

Nothing yet. Software and launch monitor won't happen until later this year. But it's going to be Skytrak.

Here is my setup: it's been up and running for 3 weeks now. It is nothing fancy but it is functional and a ton of fun!

Skytrak $1800 after tax

Play & improve package (unlocks full features of skytrak and allows you to play WGT) $200 annually

Hitting mat $150

DIY hitting net (PVC pipe frame plus old blankets with a Duvet cover over it to make it look halfway decent) ~ $80

Total - $2,250

My iPhone runs the skytrak software just fine. You don't really need a high end gaming computer unless you want to run the sim software (TGC, TruGolf E6, etc) which gets expensive quickly. I use the WGT app on my iPhone for simulated golf and it has been fun. Putting and chipping is pretty wonky though. I would imagine the other sim software is better but I can't justify the $700 for a gaming computer and another $800 for TGC software, at least for now.

I hook my iPhone up to a 55" TV that I already had in lieu of a projector.

Here is my setup: it's been up and running for 3 weeks now. It is nothing fancy but it is functional and a ton of fun!

Skytrak $1800 after tax

Play & improve package (unlocks full features of skytrak and allows you to play WGT) $200 annually

Hitting mat $150

DIY hitting net (PVC pipe frame plus old blankets with a Duvet cover over it to make it look halfway decent) ~ $80

Total - $2,250

My iPhone runs the skytrak software just fine. You don't really need a high end gaming computer unless you want to run the sim software (TGC, TruGolf E6, etc) which gets expensive quickly. I use the WGT app on my iPhone for simulated golf and it has been fun. Putting and chipping is pretty wonky though. I would imagine the other sim software is better but I can't justify the $700 for a gaming computer and another $800 for TGC software, at least for now.

How many courses does the $200 per year get you with WGT?

And I assume that if you can run it on your iPhone than an iPad would also be no problem(?).

Skytrak $1800 after tax

Hitting mat $150

Total - $2,250

And I assume that if you can run it on your iPhone than an iPad would also be no problem(?).

There are a few courses and yes it runs on iPad. Not worth it for the cost IMO, but you may enjoy it

I think I have set up a "nice" driving range simulator for about the lowest entry cost possible:

Used Skytrak w/ protective case for $1,150

Open box hitting cage/net from Amazon $150

Conduit and PVC for net frame from Lowe's $40

5 x 5 country club elite direct from manufacturer (factory second, slight imperfection) $300

Utilized an 12.9" iPad that I already had $free

TOTAL = $1,640

This set up gives me good driving range type simulator. I additionally pay the $99 annually for the game improvement package to have the target practice, skills assessment, etc. I feel that my set up is an absolute bargain at under $1,700. That being said, a friend has a similar setup except he also purchased a projector, screen, computer, and JNPG. It would be more fun to be able to play simulated golf, so I am contemplating upgrading my set up.

Skytrak $1800 after tax

Hitting mat $150

Total - $2,250

Yes it should run on your ipad just fine. WGT courses include (from memory...there are probably a few that i am missing) Wolf Creek, Pebble Beach, Pinehurst #2, Kiawah Island Ocean Course, Erin Hills, St Andrews, Congressional, Olympic Club, Bethpage Black.....some awesome courses.

Skytrak $1800 after tax

Hitting mat $150

Total - $2,250

Yes it should run on your ipad just fine. WGT courses include (from memory...there are probably a few that i am missing) Wolf Creek, Pebble Beach, Pinehurst #2, Kiawah Island Ocean Course, Erin Hills, St Andrews, Congressional, Olympic Club, Bethpage Black.....some awesome courses.

So WGT works with a tablet and even on a phone but not JNPG or TGC (based on my understanding). What's the reason there? Is it that JNPG and TGC just require a more powerful graphics card than WGT does? If that's the case, what is the big difference between these options? Are the graphics on JNPG / TGC that much better than WGT?

(not necessarily a question for you specifically but just to anyone here in general)

Skytrak $1800 after tax

Hitting mat $150

Total - $2,250

So WGT works with a tablet and even on a phone but not JNPG or TGC (based on my understanding). What's the reason there? Is it that JNPG and TGC just require a more powerful graphics card than WGT does? If that's the case, what is the big difference between these options? Are the graphics on JNPG / TGC that much better than WGT?

(not necessarily a question for you specifically but just to anyone here in general)

To my knowledge - WGT is the only sim software for iOS (apple's operating system). JNPG / TGC only run on Windows, and yes they require a gaming computer with a good graphics card, etc. I copied and pasted info below from skytrak's website about the requirements for running TGC.

WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAY?

SKYTRAK

Purchase a SkyTrak, download the software and setup your hitting area.

GAME IMPROVEMENT PACKAGE

You must have an active SkyTrak Game Improvement Package.

TGC SUBSCRIPTION

Purchase the TGC simulator package that best fits your needs.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum:

• Processor: Intel Core i5 or equivalent
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVidia GTX 670 or AMD 7850 w/ 2GB (or better!)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

Recommended:

• Processor: Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVidia GTX 970
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

Besides the cost of the simulator equipment (screen, net, projector, swing analyser, etc.), hitting a driver indoors is LOUD. Unless you live alone in the country, you may need to factor in cost for sound deadening for your home relationships and neighbors.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? Maybe your neighbors hear a little but I doubt it's going to be very loud for them even in a typical like suburban development.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? Maybe your neighbors hear a little but I doubt it's going to be very loud for them even in a typical like suburban development.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I do have some concern about the noise of a driver with my wife inside and a little one upstairs asleep. But I doubt the neighbors are going to hear it unless they are outside.

I bought a skytrak this fall and in the end put in about $3,000

I got the 5 star hitting mat

Hitting screen

Mitsubishi projector

And I just use my phone to hook up to the projector and it’s pretty fun. Nothing to do in the winter time up north so it helps keep the swing from getting rusty and it’s pretty fun. I would definitely recommend the e6 software compared to WGT. A little more money but so much more realistic

I bought a skytrak this fall and in the end put in about $3,000

I got the 5 star hitting mat

Hitting screen

Mitsubishi projector

And I just use my phone to hook up to the projector and it’s pretty fun. Nothing to do in the winter time up north so it helps keep the swing from getting rusty and it’s pretty fun. I would definitely recommend the e6 software compared to WGT. A little more money but so much more realistic

Android or iPhone? (Or is it compatible on both?)

I still find it odd that some systems require a high speed gaming console while with others a phone works just fine. Can anyone enlighten me about why that is? My assumption would be that the ones requiring computers have better graphics (hence a bigger demand of specs). But the demos that I see of different systems don't look radically different in terms of graphics.

I have mine setup in my basement garage. It is definitely loud...and as you would expect it is significantly louder with woods. I wouldn't plan on hitting balls while your kid is asleep.

I live in a neighborhood at the end of a culdesac. My next door neighbor is a good friend and I've asked him to be honest with me about the noise and if it bothers him. He said when I hit balls with my garage door open he can hear it when he is outside. He said he never hears it when he is inside his house. I just make sure I keep my garage doors closed when I am hitting and it solves the issue.

I will warm up in my garage at 6am some mornings before an early round, never had an issue as long as you close the door. Full disclosure, I don't typically hit anything longer than a driving iron. I have the room, but I get indoor syndrome with the longer clubs since I had a topped 3w come straight back at me and plug into the ceiling lol

• 10 months later...