Detroit Area Private Clubs

68kicks ·  
68kicks68kicks Members  151WRX Points: 82Posts: 151 Fairways
Hey guys,

I'm starting to look into joining a private club. I live close to Indianwood, and would be interested, but have NO CLUE on the cost. If anyone has any info that they could share it would be helpful.

I see they have info posted on their website about a class B membership, wondering if anyone has tried the class B route?

Really looking for any info on private clubs in Northern Oakland County, trying to understand if I can afford it or not.

If cost info like this is inappropriate to post in open forum, fee free to send me a PM.

thanks
Posted:

Comments

• Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members  4089WRX Points: 358Posts: 4,089 Titanium Tees
    Don't know about specific clubs, but if you're really asking if you can afford it, give it some real examination. Don't try to justify the cost on a "per round" basis, it'll never work.

Having said that, there's also the question of what you want. All the bells and whistles, prestige, etc.? There are plenty of clubs that are golf clubs, and just because they are private, doens't mean taking out a second mortgage. You may not have a Michealangelo inspired clubhouse, but a decent course, good practice facilities and good conditioning are usually all you need.

My guess though, is that indianwood will be among the higher priced clubs in that area.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • AlecEmersonGolfAlecEmersonGolf Members  587WRX Points: 34Handicap: 1.0Posts: 587 Golden Tee
    I've heard indianwood is in somewhat of financial straits right now so you might be able to get a deal there
    Posted:
    Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
    3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
    Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
    irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
    wedges - 52/56/60 edel
    putter - edel e-3 torque balanced
  • knickerbockerknickerbocker Pipe Dreamer Members  3410WRX Points: 179Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,410 Titanium Tees
    My advice is that whatever annual dues are at a club - double that number for total cost per year.
    Posted:
    9* G LST w/ Aldila Rogue Silver i/o 60
    14* Callaway XR Pro w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70
    20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
    Taylormade p790 4 - GW with Modus Tour 120
    Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 with Modus Tour 120
    Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO3
    WITB Link
  • Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members  4089WRX Points: 358Posts: 4,089 Titanium Tees

I've heard indianwood is in somewhat of financial straits right now so you might be able to get a deal there

Which brings up a different point: you might be able to get a deal, but don't lock yourself in for long term until you know what is the story. If it's an equity club and it goes under, are you on the hook?
    Posted:
  • smith851smith851 Members  375WRX Points: 37Handicap: 1Posts: 375 Greens
    worth it to consider there are plenty of good public tracks in the north oakland area that offer memberships that are semi private. Oakland University, Boulder Pointe, Twin Lakes, Metamora all are solid tracks with sufficient practice facilities that offer memberships
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 9* / Project-X Even Flow Blue 65 6.5
    Callaway XR 16 Pro 16* / Fujikura Speeder Evo II TS 765
    Srixon Z745 (3i-PW) / Dynamic Gold S400
    Callaway MD3 50*, 54* & 58* / Dynamic Gold S300
    Odyssey Versa #1Wide w/ SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3570WRX Points: 245Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,570 Titanium Tees
    I'm going on my 4th year at Oakland University. PM me if you have any questions.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck

Advertisement
  • BlockfaderBlockfader MIMembers  30WRX Points: 12Posts: 30 Bunkers
    Indianwood (old course) is a pretty sweet track but I do believe the monthly dues are hefty. My understanding is that the class B membership is only for the new course; which I would not enjoy playing on a frequent basis.

I'm also itching to join somewhere, but this year will likely not be the year when I'm not sure on long-term living location. The OU annual membership seems like a pretty good deal for what you get.

1PuttTut - is it typically busy out there on the weekend mornings/ are you able to get around in 4 hours?
    Posted:
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3570WRX Points: 245Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,570 Titanium Tees
    Blockfader wrote:

Indianwood (old course) is a pretty sweet track but I do believe the monthly dues are hefty. My understanding is that the class B membership is only for the new course; which I would not enjoy playing on a frequent basis.

I'm also itching to join somewhere, but this year will likely not be the year when I'm not sure on long-term living location. The OU annual membership seems like a pretty good deal for what you get.

1PuttTut - is it typically busy out there on the weekend mornings/ are you able to get around in 4 hours?

In my experience pace of play there is really good. I don't normally play on weekends but I know a group that does and they've commented such. Sharf is generally less busy than Katke but it's riding only whereas you can walk Katke.

Last I knew there were three membership options:

Silver - access to Sharf and Katke for $1850 plus greens and cart fees

Gold - access to Sharf and Katke for $4250 plus cart fees

Platinum - unlimited access to both with no fees for $5750

These numbers may have changed in the last year or two. I always do silver because I don't play there more than once or twice a week. I typically spend about $1500 in greens in cart fees so about $3250-3500 total for the year.

They also have an awesome simulator you can use in the winter. It's not included in your membership fee, but it's nicer and cheaper than the public simulators.
    Posted:
  • BlockfaderBlockfader MIMembers  30WRX Points: 12Posts: 30 Bunkers
    Cool, thanks for the detail. Definitely something I will consider in the future. A couple of really solid layouts
    Posted:
  • irishmpk67irishmpk67 ClubWRX  44WRX Points: 8Handicap: 7Posts: 44 Bunkers
    I am in my 5th year at Warwick Hills and love it! We have a membership that is great for someone that lives more than 30 minutes from the club. We have quite a few members that drive from Oakland County. Let me know if you need some more info!
    Posted:
  • backhillbackhill Members  118WRX Points: 70Posts: 118 Fairways
    Your best bet will be to contact their offices directly. They will let you know if they are having a promotion on the joining fee, or can waive it altogether
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • repernareperna Members  299WRX Points: 100Posts: 299 Greens
    I have also been thinking about OU. do you guys recommend it?
    Posted:
    I think I might be the only WRX'er with an OU membership right now. I'm happy to answer any questions.
    Posted:
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members  1640WRX Points: 170Posts: 1,640 Platinum Tees
    1puttTUT wrote:

I think I might be the only WRX'er with an OU membership right now. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Played out there a ton when I was in school (undergrad and grad). Two incredible courses. Loved their range, too. Great all around facility.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
    Go_Blue! wrote:

1puttTUT wrote:

Played out there a ton when I was in school (undergrad and grad). Two incredible courses. Loved there range, too. Great all around facility.

It's an awesome place if all you care about pure unpretentious golf.
    Posted:
  • repernareperna Members  299WRX Points: 100Posts: 299 Greens
    Ive heard OU has an awesome practice facility. I dont think ill be able to join this summer, but do they offer a practice facility membership?
    Posted:

Advertisement
    reperna wrote:

Ive heard OU has an awesome practice facility. I dont think ill be able to join this summer, but do they offer a practice facility membership?

No I don't think so. You might have some luck sneaking on though. I don't think they check very often.
    Posted:
  • bnfrostbnfrost Members  11WRX Points: 47Posts: 11 Bunkers
    Not to hijack this thread (happy to start a new one), but any recommendations out in the western or northern burbs? I just moved to the South Lyon area from Chicago. Live right across the street from Coyote. I'm looking for a laid back club where I can find a regular game, and meet a few people. A pool for the wife would be a plus. Have played a few of the high end courses in the area, but a little to strict/uptight for me - and probably out my ideal price point. Grew up in the Phoenix area, and am used to something a little more relaxed. Appreciate any recommendations.
    Posted:
  • HackerDaveHackerDave Members  1440WRX Points: 139Handicap: 13.5Posts: 1,440 Platinum Tees
    bnfrost wrote:

Not to hijack this thread (happy to start a new one), but any recommendations out in the western or northern burbs? I just moved to the South Lyon area from Chicago. Live right across the street from Coyote. I'm looking for a laid back club where I can find a regular game, and meet a few people. A pool for the wife would be a plus. Have played a few of the high end courses in the area, but a little to strict/uptight for me - and probably out my ideal price point. Grew up in the Phoenix area, and am used to something a little more relaxed. Appreciate any recommendations.

I would highly recommend Walnut Creek in South Lyon. It's located directly behind South Lyon East HS on Johns Road and 10 Mile
    Posted:
  • bnfrostbnfrost Members  11WRX Points: 47Posts: 11 Bunkers
    Thanks I’ll definitelt check Walnut Creek out!  Didn’t know it was so close to me. Enjoyed playing Coyote (and right across the street doesn’t hurt), but am looking to meet a few people and find a regular game. 
    Posted:
  • Fried SliceFried Slice Golf Hack Extraordinaire Members  162WRX Points: 62Handicap: 8.3Posts: 162 Fairways
    Oak Pointe and Lakelands are great clubs. I've played both in Pro-ams and hey were well maintained with courteous staff. 
    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 9.5* HZRDUS Red 62
    Cobra F8+ 16.5* HZRDUS Red 75

Ping G410 22* Alta CB 70 Red

Scratch DW Custom Grind AR1 2i-7i, SB1 Diamondback 8i-PW
    Bridgestone J15 53*, 57*
    Evnroll 5 Hatchback

Advertisement
  • njspencenjspence ClubWRX  315WRX Points: 93Posts: 315 ClubWRX

Anyone here have any connections to get on a few of the following courses. We are members at Oak Pointe and have reciprocating with some courses but not the ones I’m trying to put together for a spring trip with some members.

Meadowbrook, Walnut Creek, Franklin Hills, Orchard Lake CC, Red Run, Detroit Golf Club, indianwood

If anyone has a connection to any of these and wants to help out we can work something out

Thanks!

Posted:
  • JPXGJPXG Members  14WRX Points: 15Handicap: 3.0Posts: 14 Bunkers

Are there any Red Run GC members on here? I live in Berkley, and am considering becoming a member somewhere like RRGC or DGC. I have heard great things about Red Run, and I am curious how busy the course is during the year, and do they have a Trackman simulator in the clubhouse?

I am a 3 HC and looking to play with some other young professionals that LOVE the game!

Thanks!

Posted:

Driver: PING G410 Plus 9° w/ ACCRA TZ6 Tour Proto65 M5

2-Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ HZRDUS Smoke 100 6.5

3 Wood: Titleist 917F 15° w/ Fujikura Speeder X-Stiff

Hybrid: 20.5° Titleist 818 H1 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 6.0

Irons: PXG Gen2 0311P 5-PW w/ Project X 125g LZ 6.5

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 50/54/58 w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 "Circle T"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

• rybi728rybi728 Members  5WRX Points: 0Posts: 5 Starters

Hey JPXG,

I am a member at Red Run and on the membership committee. I’d be happy to show you around the club and answer any questions you may have.

Matt

Posted:

Hey JPXG,

I am a member at Red Run and on the membership committee. I’d be happy to answer any questions or set you up with the membership coordinator.

Matt

Posted:

Hey JPXG,

I am a member at Red Run and on the membership committee. I’d be happy to answer any questions or set you up with the membership coordinator.

Matt

Posted:

Advertisement

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.