Starting the down swing, which leg do you "drive" off of?

PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)Members Posts: 8,211 ✭✭
When I start my downswing, do I drive off of my rear leg, pushing my rear hip through the swing or do I drive off the front leg, clearing the front hip out of the way?

Or both?
SLDR 460 8.5° - Rogue 60x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62- S300
SC X7M - P2 Aware
RZN Platinum

Comments

• copperjeffcopperjeff Members Posts: 917 ✭✭
    I don't drive off of either leg to start the downswing.

Often times (as is my case) driving with either leg to START the downswing leads to the lower body getting to far ahead.
    Golfing Ginger
    So glad I picked an outside activity...
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Sponsors Posts: 18,178 ✭✭
    Neither.

You’re going to early extend doing that.

You’re supposed to push down to start the downswing and your body will react by pushing off near impact.

• Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,972 ✭✭

Neither.

You’re supposed to push down to start the downswing and your body will react by pushing off near impact.

You beat me too it
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • spacecraftspacecraft Members Posts: 68 ✭✭

Neither.

push down what the grip?
  • ezpzezpz Posts: 461 ✭✭
    spacecraft wrote:

Neither.

push down what the grip?

Move pressure into the ground.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,219 ✭✭
    spacecraft wrote:

Neither.

push down what the grip?

Squat.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • jamiejamie Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,132 ✭✭

Neither.

I agree but I think "pushing down" could be misinterpreted as "pushing off."
    PING G400 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G400 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
    PING I200 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
    PING Cadence Ketsch TR CB 35"
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. Posts: 543
    When I start my downswing, do I drive off of my rear leg, pushing my rear hip through the swing or do I drive off the front leg, clearing the front hip out of the way?

Or both?

I don’t normally think about it, possibly the rear foot pressure is higher at the top Then it transfers over by the time I’m at impact-ish?
  • GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Posts: 1,648 ✭✭
    jamie wrote:

Neither.

That's a good point. Could you perhaps say: push down and go up in the back swing, free fall into a squat and push down again to go up into impact?
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,599 ✭✭
    I like to move my right knee to the left, good trigger .. for me anyways ... ymmv
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • glkglk send it in jerome Members Posts: 3,288 ✭✭
    edited Jan 21, 2019 10:12pm #12
    I think you can feel the linear move ( drift, surf, etc) as a push from the trail or a fall onto the lead. Certainly not a drive. Or a fire.

I like the downhill thought.

Believe the vertical force applied to the lead foot during this time is ballparked, at least, as 150%+ of weight. Like a jog step. Sets the stage for the “ jump” done so well by Thomas and bubba. Single lead leg swings, flamingo, are great for this. As are step drills that help with getting that pressure shifted too.

To me the trail foot pushes away like a hockey skater while the lead does the oppsite. Generates the torque to rotate the hips .

I like this view of how the feet work to produce rotation. Walk backwards with the trail foot in backswing and forward in downswing. Then reversed with the lead foot.

https://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/

More info here. https://www.swingcatalyst.com/learning-center/articles/ground-reaction-force

Easy Peasy. Do that, chew gum, in a second or so.
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,211 ✭✭
    I am having a problem or I'm not feeling much from the belt down causing my hips to clear last instead of first. I did see a drill where you try and rotate your front knee towards the target line and I was doing that in practice swings in the backyard and it felt really good so I think I'm going to try that instead of worrying about how to push off
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    SC X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum
    Post a swing, there is a missing detail or two.
  • buntabunta Members Posts: 540 ✭✭

Neither.

Can you define "push down" ?

i have an idea what you mean, just making sure im right. Im hoping for a detailed explanation of what to do..
    TS3 9.5
    s55 4-P
    Glide 50/54/60
    Anser 2
  • oikos1oikos1 Posts: 2,240 ✭✭
    Golfbeat wrote:

jamie wrote:

Neither.

That's a good point. Could you perhaps say: push down and go up in the back swing, free fall into a squat and push down again to go up into impact?

No, no, and just no. Stop messing it up. Monte was very clear.
  • OTTOTT Members Posts: 186 ✭✭

I'd listen to Monte as well...

Post a swing..

There's no point looking for movements in certain areas if the ones before it are wrong.

You talk about the hips clearing. They'll do that naturally of everything before it is good. Same as your knee drill.

If you clear the hips to start the swing and you have a cast or are OTT and haven't any shallowing in the club your just going to make things worse..

If your trying to get power from the ground do as Monte says. Otherwise you will early extend, trust me I was an expert at that..

• glkglk send it in jerome Members Posts: 3,288 ✭✭
    edited Jan 22, 2019 3:00pm #18
    Video worth x many words.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BorJ4SKFh98/
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • AtraynAtrayn ClubWRX Posts: 2,049 ✭✭
    I'll call the imagery of the "push down" the lower body lie. Most people think of it in the feet when you should think of it in terms of the hips. Monte has a video called the zipper away drill. It cures several issues but to execute it correctly, the hips that are controlling the action. The lowering "effect" is the push down. This movement as well as the left knee separating from the right lowers the entire upper body and initializes the forces into the ground. Think of it is cocking the hammer on a gun.
    "Someday, it may even be possible to construct some kind of machine
    that will swing a golf club as well as it can possibly be done." "That is probably as close to
    the perfect swing as it would be possible for human beings to get." Ben Hogan 1965 SI

2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
    2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
    2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
    2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
    2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ KBS tour S
    2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
    Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter
    My post will go up a bit later, but here is a feel from a great player and the first 6 words are the important part.

• Very often I think lots of golfers focus too much on technique/mechanics than what is really needed for the golf swing. I know you've probably read or heard this before, but try to make your movements as natural as possible. When you throw a baseball, or swing a bat, or serve a ball in tennis are you actively thinking about which body part does what.

Swinging a baseball bat to hit a ball off a tee for example, when you are about to start the baseball swing does mind first think, "ok lead foot steps slightly forward, then I rotate my hips, then my rear leg drives into the ground etc etc". No batter thinks like that because the movement is natural. A baseball swing hitting a ball off a tee which is roughly waist height is not much different than hitting a golf ball off a tee. The plane of the swing is just different.

Hammering a nail, using an axe to chop a tree, these movements naturally happen because your brain knows what the objective is. Now I understand the golf swing is not particularity a natural movement, but once you get the basic fundamentals down your brain knows what the objective is. Certainly things like hand eye coordination help with the task as well, but I feel lots of golfers try to over complicate the swing.
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Diablo Octane Tour
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • johnrobisonjohnrobison In endless pursuit of P6 Posts: 737 ✭✭

Swinging a baseball bat to hit a ball off a tee for example, when you are about to start the baseball swing does mind first think, "ok lead foot steps slightly forward, then I rotate my hips, then my rear leg drives into the ground etc etc". No batter thinks like that because the movement is natural. A baseball swing hitting a ball off a tee which is roughly waist height is not much different than hitting a golf ball off a tee. The plane of the swing is just different.
    Perhaps a batter playing tee-ball doesn't think about it, but a batter who wants to play at a much higher level spends a lot of time learning correct sequencing and mechanics.
  • Timbo929Timbo929 Posts: 384 ✭✭

Perhaps a batter playing tee-ball doesn't think about it, but a batter who wants to play at a much higher level spends a lot of time learning correct sequencing and mechanics.

Exactly.
  • johnrobisonjohnrobison In endless pursuit of P6 Posts: 737 ✭✭
    I really love the feel of pushing off my trail foot. LOVE IT! Unfortunately, as Monte showed me on the pressure mat, it doesn't get me to the right place at the right time. I suppose I prefer that feel because I grew up with a pretty good throwing arm and, through baseball, ingrained those mechanics. But the pressure trace doesn't lie, and now I have to work on more of a falling feeling. The downhill thing.
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,211 ✭✭

Sorry I dont have a recent side view slow mo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTq_DFkrxE
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    SC X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum
    OTT wrote:

I'd listen to Monte as well...

Post a swing..

There's no point looking for movements in certain areas if the ones before it are wrong.

You talk about the hips clearing. They'll do that naturally of everything before it is good. Same as your knee drill.

If you clear the hips to start the swing and you have a cast or are OTT and haven't any shallowing in the club your just going to make things worse..

If your trying to get power from the ground do as Monte says. Otherwise you will early extend, trust me I was an expert at that..

I may have been less clear than I needed, my hips/mid section are not leading the down swing, at impact they have barely rotated and I look stuck
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    SC X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum

• Swinging a baseball bat to hit a ball off a tee for example, when you are about to start the baseball swing does mind first think, "ok lead foot steps slightly forward, then I rotate my hips, then my rear leg drives into the ground etc etc". No batter thinks like that because the movement is natural. A baseball swing hitting a ball off a tee which is roughly waist height is not much different than hitting a golf ball off a tee. The plane of the swing is just different.

You're are correct, I don't disagree with that. My point was though that during practice sessions high level baseball players (college & pro) still do tee work. It's a way to work on your swing without the need for someone else throwing you batting practice.
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Diablo Octane Tour
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • AtraynAtrayn ClubWRX Posts: 2,049 ✭✭

My post will go up a bit later, but here is a feel from a great player and the first 6 words are the important part.

And call this "pulling the trigger!"
    "Someday, it may even be possible to construct some kind of machine
    that will swing a golf club as well as it can possibly be done." "That is probably as close to
    the perfect swing as it would be possible for human beings to get." Ben Hogan 1965 SI

2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
    2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
    2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
    2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
    2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ KBS tour S
    2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
    Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter
  • smdykassmdykas Members Posts: 150 ✭✭

Neither.

Bump, dump and turn?
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,630 ✭✭

Neither.

Monte, where do you stand on ideal posture for the golf swing? Athletic or more Ping-man style like Genkas?
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • BigBadBigBad Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited Jan 22, 2019 2:25pm #31
    Golfers....LOL....Only this sport has guys trying to concentrate on every part of the body. Imagine golfers trying to help each other dunk a basketball. There would be a MILLION topics on jump thoughts. Do you squat more? Do you push into the court or jump off it? Did you try to flex your big toe?!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file