Hosung Choi @ AT&T

Comments

• imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,623 ✭✭
    Some golfers ranked lower than Hosung Choi in the World Ranking:
    • Kevin Streelman
    • Padraig Harrington
    • Rory Sabbatini
    • Ollie Schniederjans
    • Kelly Kraft
    • Andrew Johnston
    • Bill Haas
    • Ryo Ishikawa
    • Scott Stallings
    • Jim Furyk
    • Bud Cauley
    • Graeme McDowell
    • Juan Sebastian Munoz
    • Steve Stricker
    • Grayson Murray
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,624 ✭✭
    gators78 wrote:

Malvern wrote:

GolfWRX: "Golfers never speak their minds in interviews"

Golfer: "Speaks mind"

GolfWRX: "Get him!"

True TSM, I'm conflicted as I'm one prone to making the first comment...........................….nevertheless just seems like Rory is going down the Greg Norman rent-a-quote path. Greg is too far gone, Rory is salvageable.

I'm all for players speaking their mind but his argument doesn't make sense. If he just left it with "I don't like all the antics he does after his shot," totally fair. Taking spots from Tour Players? Well a boatload of events invite top college players to play in events, I'll look for him to tell Jack the same thing at the Memorial that Jack is taking spots from Tour players.

Concern trolling at its finest. As if Rory all of sudden actually cares about the plight of bottom-ranked tour players.
  • jasonfish11jasonfish11 Members Posts: 429 ✭✭

gators78 wrote:

Malvern wrote:

True TSM, I'm conflicted as I'm one prone to making the first comment...........................….nevertheless just seems like Rory is going down the Greg Norman rent-a-quote path. Greg is too far gone, Rory is salvageable.

I'm all for players speaking their mind but his argument doesn't make sense. If he just left it with "I don't like all the antics he does after his shot," totally fair. Taking spots from Tour Players? Well a boatload of events invite top college players to play in events, I'll look for him to tell Jack the same thing at the Memorial that Jack is taking spots from Tour players.

Concern trolling at its finest. As if Rory all of sudden actually cares about the plight of bottom-ranked tour players.

Didn't Rory once say something like growing the game is not his responsibility?
  • jasonfish11jasonfish11 Members Posts: 429 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

Some golfers ranked lower than Hosung Choi in the World Ranking:
    • Kevin Streelman
    • Padraig Harrington
    • Rory Sabbatini
    • Ollie Schniederjans
    • Kelly Kraft
    • Andrew Johnston
    • Bill Haas
    • Ryo Ishikawa
    • Scott Stallings
    • Jim Furyk
    • Bud Cauley
    • Graeme McDowell
    • Juan Sebastian Munoz
    • Steve Stricker
    • Grayson Murray

Some of those people do hold PGA tour cards, or have lifetime exemptions into most PGA tour events.

But I get your point.
  • iKOH423iKOH423 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I am all alright with him being there. Give him some air time and let us see what he's about. I don't want flak for saying this given how the media is with Tiger and other stories. I just don't want him to be the entire story of the tournament, I personally think he has a funky swing which is unique to watch but let the guy play his game.
    Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 Deg.
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15 Deg
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic 3 19 Deg.
    Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 4-AW
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged Wedges 56/60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 18' Select Newport 2
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,826 ✭✭
    If guys on the PGA and Web are mad about this exemption, they should be livid about Dru Loves 15 or so exemptions. Dude is ranked 1,260th and has like 3 made cuts.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 828 ✭✭
    Honestly sponsor exemptions peeve me sometimes how they get used , HOWEVER an exemption being given to 194th best golf according to the owgr in no way shape or form is a stretch. I mean a lot of foreign players take their 7 or so sponsor exemptions and try to get there card that way and that’s a pretty decent avenue for euro/foreign players if you can get the invites. Even tho Choi was invited for his finish , his resume certainly holds its own in that field of players
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,669 ClubWRX
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Resume weak.

Entertainment strong.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,669 ClubWRX
    iBanesto wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Resume weak.

Entertainment strong.

Agree on that.
  • y2zary2zar Members Posts: 3
    I think Rory fears that HoSung's swing will distract him from his putting image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
  • tphilptphilp Members Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Can’t wait for this. I hope he is in the featured groups for coverage on Thursday and Friday should make for an electric tournament.

Also for those who are on Dru Love wasn’t him and pops the two that got chirped by Jack about their win at the father son? I believe the quote was “get your tour card and get out of here”
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,826 ✭✭
    tphilp wrote:

Can’t wait for this. I hope he is in the featured groups for coverage on Thursday and Friday should make for an electric tournament.

Also for those who are on Dru Love wasn’t him and pops the two that got chirped by Jack about their win at the father son? I believe the quote was “get your tour card and get out of here”

Them playing in the father/son event was an absolute joke.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,304 ✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2019 12:01am #76
    Will certainly be pulling for him and hope he enjoys himself!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    Mr Choi didn't pick up golf until he was 25. Start to play at 25 and end up playing at a top PGA Tour event. How COOL is that?
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,748 ✭✭
    Tee times now confirmed. He will be playing in the A group that plays Pebble Beach on Saturday (weather permitting). His amateur partner is Chris O'Donnell. They will be playing with Jerry Kelly and Aaron Rodgers.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭

Tee times now confirmed. He will be playing in the A group that plays Pebble Beach on Saturday (weather permitting). His amateur partner is Chris O'Donnell. They will be playing with Jerry Kelly and Aaron Rodgers.

The Fisherman and Robin together.

Interesting.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2019 5:11am #80
    Hope he has a great week, I'd love to see him contend. Very much looking forward to watching him play.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1092870832865579008
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,994 ✭✭

gators78 wrote:

Malvern wrote:

Didn't Rory once say something like growing the game is not his responsibility?

Yes he did. 2016 PGA. At the time he was the PGA Tour Ambassador of PGA Junior League. Great choice of words
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭
    Now that I see Hosung's name in Chinese character. It means Tiger (Ho) Star (Sung).

anyways, here is bonus video. Hosung's putting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc68Gm4rck4
    WWG1 WGA
  • KaTooMKaTooM Members Posts: 1,360 ✭✭

“I'm not sure a golf shot should mean that much to you that you're doing that after you hit it, like it's just trying a little too hard,” McIlroy said

Source: golfchannel.com

Touché my friend...very well played!
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    Serious question here, as the tournament starts today I am left to ponder if people are laughing at or with Hosung Choi? There is this fascination, almost novelty, to his game and persona that I wonder if people are more interested in the product than the man himself.

I'm going to root for him, he seems genuine and very appreciative to be at PB.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    CAT GOLFER wrote:

Serious question here, as the tournament starts today I am left to ponder if people are laughing at or with Hosung Choi? There is this fascination, almost novelty, to his game and persona that I wonder if people are more interested in the product than the man himself.

Can't speak for others but no laughing at all on any level from me.

He's a highly competent player with a unique approach and an interesting back story so it makes him a very intriguing character.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,260 ✭✭
    CAT GOLFER wrote:

I know I'm laughing at Rory. I hoping he posts more fake weight deadlift pics on his Instagram.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 702 ✭✭
    Not sure why anyone is upset about sponsor's exemptions...if I decide to put up between 5-10 mm to put up a tournament, asking for players who will draw the highest ratings/admissions is a reasonable request...also, didn't realize it's the tournament director not the sponsor who generally does the selections:

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-are-sponsor-exemptions-in-golf-1565726
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,363 ✭✭
    Rory is just trying to keep his name in the media so he can promote his new company
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange CountyMembers Posts: 2,426 ✭✭
    edited Feb 7, 2019 12:25pm #90
    It’s one thing if they gave the sponsors exemption to a athlete or celebrity but this dude has game and people want to see him play. I think it’s a smart move on pebbles part.

As for Rory, I’m finding myself disliking him more and more. The guy is more whiny than my 2 year old.

Callaway Epic SZ - Project X Smoke
    TM M2 15* - Diamana S Ltd
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• leejohnkiehleejohnkieh Members Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Parred the 1st!
    Team NIKE
    Titleist TS3 9.5 - GD AD-BB 7X
    Titleist TS2 15* - Diamana LTD D+ 80X
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX