We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Scotty Cameron Phantom X Putters

JStang ·  
JStangJStang  2637WRX Points: 266Members Posts: 2,637
Just saw this on golf.com. Looks like a nice, modern approach to the Futura line. The 5.5 looks good.

Posted:
'16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 | T-MB 3, 718 CB 4-PW | Vokey SM6 52, SM7 58 | Toulon LV
Post edited by pga43 on

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2165WRX Points: 661Members Posts: 2,165
    He's really running out of ideas
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Rig14PortRig14Port  884WRX Points: 210Members Posts: 884

I don't see where it's going to be possible to modify these with the welded flow neck that has been so popular with the X5 and 5W heads.

The topline and face are one piece aluminum with stainless wings. Unless the heel wing has a stainless stub protruding up through the top that the flow neck could be welded too I'm not sure it can be done.

I imagine this could impact sales if not an option for an aftermarket customization

UPDATE: It does look like a stainless steel stub up through the aluminum topline but not going to be much room for welding. Mod capabilities TBD
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    WITB... Ha. Depends on what day it is
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28970WRX Points: 5,467Members Posts: 28,970
    At some point acushnet board members have to take away his decision making provledges. He’s hurting the brand at this point.
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• Golfer_1993Golfer_1993  614WRX Points: 100Members Posts: 614
    It's driving me nuts they offer so few putters for lefties. Of the 18 putter models they will sell this year, only 4 are available for lefties: Newport 2, Newport 3, Phantom X7 and X7.5. I'm not asking for all 18, but I think he would sell more X5/5.5 than X7/7.5, and probably the Squareback would be popular too.
    Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5624WRX Points: 1,084Members Posts: 5,624
    The colour scheme, is just absolutely horrific! It's like they are trying to make more business for the custom shop with this release.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Big BenBig Ben  9239WRX Points: 453Members Posts: 9,239
    I really like the X7 but that shabby yellow isn’t good man. I hope it’s much brighter in hand.
    Posted:
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1

Advertisement
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker  3745WRX Points: 169Members Posts: 3,745
    giphy.gif
    Posted:
  • DRRicksDRRicks  2444WRX Points: 20Banned Posts: 2,444
    It looks like the insert is gone...so, baby-steps to making quality putters again?
    Posted:
  • madaboutgolfmadaboutgolf  1014WRX Points: 66Members Posts: 1,014
    churning out models like spaghetti ...
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 D type 12*
    Taylormade M2 3 wood
    Taylormade M4 5 wood
    Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid/Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
    Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
    Callaway PM grind mack daddy 60 wedge
     taylormade Burner speed/RBZ soft balls
    Odyssey 7s black
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX  3598WRX Points: 413Members Posts: 3,598
    The 8X looks a lot like

Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • VNutzVNutz  6442WRX Points: 482Members Posts: 6,442
    DRRicks wrote:

It looks like the insert is gone...so, baby-steps to making quality putters again?

The entire black portion of the head is the insert material. They haven't done away with it, they've made it bigger.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jtitleist12jtitleist12  3093WRX Points: 214Members Posts: 3,093
    The best part is these are going to retail for $429!

- Josh
    Posted:
  • Lacey UnderallLacey Underall  1209WRX Points: 107Members Posts: 1,209
    I'd like to see the 12 from the top line view. Looks pretty crazy.

Scotty is obsessed with his putter lab and trying to get a better "roll." Meanwhile, its a putter for crying out loud. Just go back to making stuff that looks and feels good.
    Posted:
    2019 WITB
    Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Max 75x
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x
    2-PW: Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted
    52* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    58* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth Versa
  • BrizamBrizam Junkie  976WRX Points: 137ClubWRX Posts: 976
    Scotty for me has got to the point where the only ones that are desirable are the Circle T blades and mid mallets. And I'm sure not dropping that much coin on a putter. That would be my whole putter buying budget for the year.....
    Posted:
    VNutz wrote:

DRRicks wrote:

The entire black portion of the head is the insert material. They haven't done away with it, they've made it bigger.

yeah, still an aluminum face like the inserts of late.

BTW... this is A LOT more aluminum and A LOT less stainless than the previous models. That means the material costs should have decreased substantially yet the MSRP seems to be increasing. Designs also look like there will be considerably less stainless "waste" from the milling process (SS components not as deep or intricate so smaller blocks of SS and less cut-away material). Scotty trying to pick up some serious margin here...
    Posted:
  • VNutzVNutz  6442WRX Points: 482Members Posts: 6,442
    Rig14Port wrote:

I don't see where it's going to be possible to modify these with the welded flow neck that has been so popular with the X5 and 5W heads.

The topline and face are one piece aluminum with stainless wings. Unless the heel wing has a stainless stub protruding up through the top that the flow neck could be welded too I'm not sure it can be done.

I imagine this could impact sales if not an option for an aftermarket customization

In looking at the Cameron website, it looks like there are .5 models for several of these heads. The standard model is what they are calling a mid bend and near face balanced, where the .5 model is a low bend shaft offering the putter head more flow. Sounds similar to the 5.5M heads.

I'm no welder but it does seem you're right in that there might be challenges faced with trying to weld necks to aluminum heads.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jrshelbyjrshelby  1286WRX Points: 179Members Posts: 1,286
    VNutz wrote:

Rig14Port wrote:

In looking at the Cameron website, it looks like there are .5 models for several of these heads. The standard model is what they are calling a mid bend and near face balanced, where the .5 model is a low bend shaft offering the putter head more flow. Sounds similar to the 5.5M heads.

I'm no welder but it does seem you're right in that there might be challenges faced with trying to weld necks to aluminum heads.
    the necks are all steel if you look close.
    Posted:
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD  1270WRX Points: 464Members Posts: 1,270
    He's increasing is margins for sure, has enough collectors to keep him happy, and now makes the production putters targeted at people who are gonna buy anything that says Scotty Cameron regardless of how repulsive or lackluster it may be.
    Posted:
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    TOULON Garage San Diego

• cforseliuscforselius  395WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 395
    Rig14Port wrote:

VNutz wrote:

DRRicks wrote:

BTW... this is A LOT more aluminum and A LOT less stainless than the previous models. That means the material costs should have decreased substantially yet the MSRP seems to be increasing. Designs also look like there will be considerably less stainless "waste" from the milling process (SS components not as deep or intricate so smaller blocks of SS and less cut-away material). Scotty trying to pick up some serious margin here...

I dont know how it is on your side of the pond but here aluminum is more expensive than Stainless steel. So you got that wrong. He is still using the same weight system i.e 10g/15g/20g so the ratio should be approximately the same.

From a manufacturing standpoint I dont think he has optimized the "waste" any more than before. All designs are optimized to keep manufacturing costs down. Thats a big part on why they look like they do.
    Posted:
  • Lancj1Lancj1  925WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 925
    I think they look superb - are you seriously telling me any of you prefer the look of a TM spider...... ?

With this and the Pings yesterday I better book some extra shifts!
    Posted:
    cforselius wrote:

Rig14Port wrote:

VNutz wrote:

DRRicks wrote:

I dont know how it is on your side of the pond but here aluminum is more expensive than Stainless steel. So you got that wrong. He is still using the same weight system i.e 10g/15g/20g so the ratio should be approximately the same.

From a manufacturing standpoint I dont think he has optimized the "waste" any more than before. All designs are optimized to keep manufacturing costs down. Thats a big part on why they look like they do.

Price per pound for aluminum may be more expensive but you get a larger block of aluminum at equal weights to stainless. I will differ to someone that knows more about market prices for 6061 Aluminum vs 303 Stainless...

He has definitely reduced the starting block size needed for the milling of the SS parts in these putters as compared to past Futura model releases. Again, I will differ to someone that knows more about milling...

In an economy that is seeing major margin compression across every industry you would be crazy to think they aren't looking for ways to reduce costs by using lower cost materials, optimizing production, and/or reducing waste
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • EquiptoEquipto  405WRX Points: 36Members Posts: 405
    Really aren’t my cup of tea, but he is limiting the market for these even more by not offering a variety of neck options.
    Posted:
  • jordanrookiejordanrookie USA 164WRX Points: 54Members Posts: 164
    Is the yellow highlight for these slightly different than the accent color used on the tour models we saw last week? Looks slightly more brown/muted and frankly worse.
    Posted:
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK  4639WRX Points: 143Members Posts: 4,639
    Can’t think where he got the idea for the shape of that X12.
    Posted:
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy  8671WRX Points: 201Members Posts: 8,671
    I’m in the like camp if the paintfill is changed.
    Posted:
    Cobra King F9 10.5*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • golf9596golf9596  2111WRX Points: 152Members Posts: 2,111
    I do like mallets and Scotty has always delivered with quality in my opinion. I'm in for the 5.5 or 7.5...
    Posted:
    Driver..Ping G410 LST-PO-70S
    3 Wood Cally Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* w/Smoke 70 gram-S
    Cally Flash Hybrid 18.* Speeder VC8-S
    Adams MB2 4-PW w/110SteelFibers
    Putter.....Scott Cameron Select 1.5 Squareback
    Bettinardi BB1F (2020) on order 
    Mac Daddy... PM..52* & PM 58*
    Titleist 4up Carry
    TM TP5-X

Advertisement
  • BigSky59BigSky59  456WRX Points: 51Members Posts: 456
    I want to see the ones that DIDN'T make it to the production stage...

alAx0zM.gif?noredirect
    Posted:
  • eagle2838eagle2838  187WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 187

Bringing this back from the dead a little bit: I agree with most of the comments here that the Phantom X's look garbage in photos, but they are far, far better in person. I want to hate them (and the bigger ones in the series do look ridiculous to me), but I was playing around with them in the shop this evening and the 5.5 sets up to the ball and rolls so, so well. The colors aren't great, but I can get past that.

I agree that it feels wrong to pay $400+ (!) for something that is mostly aluminum, but frankly this putter had a more pleasing setup and a fantastic combination of alignment/stability and toe flow than pretty much anything I have seen. The Betty Queen Bees right now are 100x more beautiful to look at and have that expensive feel, but for me the Phantom X are almost definitely better putters for getting the ball in the hole. There might be something to these...

Now, if we're talking modern Scotty retail blades, there is a reason I play one that is 11 years old...and the ones older than that were even better.

Posted:
    TM M3 460, HZRDUS Black 65 6.0
    Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White 75 6.0
    Titleist TS2 HY 19*, EvenFlow White 90 6.0
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 5.5
    Mizuno MP59 4-6 PX 5.5
    Mizuno MP69 7-P PX 5.5
    Miura New Wedge 51* PX 5.5
    Miura K-Grind 56* PX 5.5
    Scotty Studio Select NP2 2008 33" / SeeMore X2 Black 33"
    ProV1x

• SuperBombinSuperBombin  206WRX Points: 105Members Posts: 206

Agree with some here that it looks terrible in photos but looks better in person. Rolled them today and just didn’t suit my style and felt they are way over priced. I’m thinking they should be around 350 range.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • eagle2838eagle2838  187WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 187

On -, @SuperBombin said:

Agree with some here that it looks terrible in photos but looks better in person. Rolled them today and just didn’t suit my style and felt they are way over priced. I’m thinking they should be around 350 range.

“Should be” and “what Scotty can get away with” are two different things! I totally agree with you that $350 feels much more palatable, but on the flip side if Scotty can get $429 for it from a whole bunch of people, then I guess capitalism wins.

Doesn’t feel special but works super well and priced accordingly? Feels like the TM MO the past few years.

Posted:
    TM M3 460, HZRDUS Black 65 6.0
    Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White 75 6.0
    Titleist TS2 HY 19*, EvenFlow White 90 6.0
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 5.5
    Mizuno MP59 4-6 PX 5.5
    Mizuno MP69 7-P PX 5.5
    Miura New Wedge 51* PX 5.5
    Miura K-Grind 56* PX 5.5
    Scotty Studio Select NP2 2008 33" / SeeMore X2 Black 33"
    ProV1x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.