Scotty Cameron Phantom X Putters

Comments

• Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 1:46pm #32

These putters roll the ball very nicely and feel excellent. I like the low profile as well, would agree definitely look better in person. BB

Post edited by Big Ben on
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • mrmikeacmrmikeac Members Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love my 8

Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 10.5 Degrees set at 9.5, Weight Neutral, Tensei Orange 60 Gram Stiff
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, HZRDUS Smoke 70 Gram 6.0
    3 Hybrid: Ping G410 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
    2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
    5-PW: Taylormade P760’s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
    50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Putter: 34” Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8 
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
  • NJGolfer0624NJGolfer0624 Members Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

Any more feedback on these? I rolled a few models on a small putting green. Hard to tell much from that.

• SteelheadSteelhead Orlando, FloridaClubWRX Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went in the day before release and Edwin Watts had all to roll. Loved the feel and the new pistol grip of the 12. I was slightly pulling everything but not enough to keep me away from the cash register until, I grabbed a Spider X Navy (Like mine) and was dropping everything from all distances. :-(. Went back to the Phantom hoping I was not warmed up. Nope. Not as consistent for me. I may buy anyway :-).

• GolfdoctorGolfdoctor Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Was at Carls Golfland here in Michigan on friday, and they had all the model's. I was there for about a hour and they sold three, couldn't believe it. Two guys got a #12 and one picked up a #7.5. I myself liked the #6 with the straight shaft, didn't like the three dot's on the top.

• JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers Posts: 330 ✭✭✭✭

I just got the X 12 phantom the other day and I’ve been using a 2.0 flatso super stroke grip on all my clubs so I wanted to take my hands out a little more and I put the 3.0 on but it felt so light I could not get nothing to the hole so I put the stock Scotty grip back on it and now it’s probably one of the nicest putters I’ve ever rolled. very good distance control, I got it in 33 inches, it sets up really well with those alignment aids on top and I love the color. I really couldn’t believe that the stock grip would feel good after years of using a super stroke.

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • DFDLTDFDLT Members Posts: 116 ✭✭

I tried a few at a local store today. They feel nice but I would be interested in one of the short bend models which they did not have. So I can’t really say yay or nay. I like the idea of having a nice expensive putter that I can stick with for many years but I’m not sure one of these is it. Want to try the Toulon Las Vegas and Atlanta too.

• Jeffyr11Jeffyr11 Denver, COMembers Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rolled them in store the other day. I like the look of the dots, easy to align. What got me is how light the felt. Did anyone else feel the same way? Just didn’t feel like an MOI putter but maybe it was just one of those days.

Taylor Made M5 9* w/ Diamana D+ Limited 70 TX
    Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* w/ Diamana D+ Limited 80 TX
    PXG 0317X 19* w/ Matrix Black Tie HM4 95 X
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4) w/ Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-P) w/ Project X LZ 6.5
    Taylor Made Hi Toe (54 / 58 / 64) w/ KBS Hi Rev 2.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M Welded Neck
  • FlyOverFlyOver SoCalMembers Posts: 394 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 4:49am #40

I have the 7 and I really like the feel and roll. This coming from a first time mallet player.

Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M6 3W-GD AD IZ 8S shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Scotty Cameron modified Detour Newport 2 putter
    Scotty Cameron Black Mist Notchback Putter
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob ClubWRX Posts: 1,002 ClubWRX

I’m in the minority these days but I just can’t come at these satellites on sticks - give me an old blade any day. :-)

Rob

• onetime19onetime19 Members Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have the 12 in 33, only have played 9 with it, but it does look and feel great! It does not feel light to me at all YMMV mine with a SS Traxion Pistol GT 2.0 SW is E0. I was playing with a 5.5M and I do find this easier to point and shoot.

Titleist TS3 8.5 GD AD BB 6S
    Titleist TS3 15 GD AD BB 7S
    Titleist 818 H2 GD AD DI 85X
    Titleist AP3 4-P AMT Black S300
    Tileist Vokey SM7 F 5012 SM7 S 5810
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    Titleist Pro V1X
    Dos Equis Lager
    Balls deep
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rolled the 5.5 or the 5 model in store last week, can’t remember which one, and it felt great. Not crazy about the colors but it doesn’t look as bad in person. I like the dot alignment more than I thought I would. I’m more of an older SC model fan as the most recently made SC I owned was the first X5 which was a great putter.

Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - TBD
    TBD
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.11 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers Posts: 330 ✭✭✭✭

I had to go back to the flatso 2.0 that I have had on all other past putters. Tried the 1.0 which was a little bigger than stock grip, but short putts the fingers and hands take over too much so 2.0 seems to help on those 5 footers now.
    Below I saw this on an article I was reading about the X12, I’m not stating this just sharing...........He’s not giving up the blade after winning The masters?
    Alignment is easy with bright visual cues. Scotty Cameron explains the magic behind Tiger Woods's putter Phantom X 12: With swept-back wings precision milled from 303 stainless steel, this near-face balanced, high-MOI mallet with a single mid-bend shaft employs the continuous alignment features of the Phantom X line’s full leading-edge-to-flange construction — crafted from aircraft grade aluminum, anodized black and accented with neon yellow sight cues. The ultimate in technology, stability and forgiveness.

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • dwp10mmdwp10mm Members Posts: 262 ✭✭✭✭

I tested some of them at the PGA Superstore this week. I really like the look of the 5.5. But the face seems rather small compared to my Newport blades. Maybe in a few years I’ll pick one up cheap. They felt good but certainly not kicking out my current putter.

One thing I noticed was how bad the black on the bottom of all the demo putters was scratched off. I’m sure this store gets a lot of traffic, but these things looked like they were drug on concrete. I’ll be interested in seeing long term feedback on how the finish holds up.

Cobra F8 Tour Length with Tensei Blue
    Cobra F8 3 wood
    Titleist 913f 17 degree
    Titleist 816 h2 20 degree
    Titleist 913H 23 degree
    Mizuno Fli-hi 5, MMC 6-P
    Cobra Black Tour Trusty 54, 60
    Scotty Cameron 2011 Studio Select NP2
  • snagy2000snagy2000 Members Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dwp10mm said:
    I tested some of them at the PGA Superstore this week. I really like the look of the 5.5. But the face seems rather small compared to my Newport blades. Maybe in a few years I’ll pick one up cheap. They felt good but certainly not kicking out my current putter.

One thing I noticed was how bad the black on the bottom of all the demo putters was scratched off. I’m sure this store gets a lot of traffic, but these things looked like they were drug on concrete. I’ll be interested in seeing long term feedback on how the finish holds up.

They drag all Cameron demos on concrete to avoid them being stolen. Not sure how that's a deterrent, but that's what Titleist tells them to do.

• golf9596golf9596 Members Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just received my X12 and put a SS GTR Tour 1.0. The stock grip just felt a little small and have been playing the GTR for over a year. The head is much smaller in appearance than the pics made it look. I'm loving the balance and feel and am looking forward to taking it to the course ( snowing today..LOL)

Driver..Ping G410 LST-PO-70S
    3 Wood TM M6 Project X 75-S
    TM Stage 2 18.5* Speeder VC7-S
    Apex Forged...4-PW $-tapper-S
    Putter.....Scott Cameron Big Sur Pro Platinum 46
              ......Swag. Suave one. 33.4”
    Mac Daddy PM..51* & 57*
    Titleist 4up Carry
    Pro V 1 (2017

Anyone rolling the #6 str model?

• HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭

@Jeffyr11 said:
    I rolled them in store the other day. I like the look of the dots, easy to align. What got me is how light the felt. Did anyone else feel the same way? Just didn’t feel like an MOI putter but maybe it was just one of those days.

I was basically at golf galaxy to test these out and buy either the 7 or 12. I though they seemed very light as well and that totally turned me off.
    Was so disappointed in how light it was and would have liked if it was firmer as well. Love the look though and started hitting the SC squareback 1.5 and loved that so torn on which of these to buy now.

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW - TT DG X7
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can custom order them with heavier weights.

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1

When I was at Carls Golfland testing the Phantom X, I put a few of these on the swing weight scale (all putters were 33" with 20 gram weight) and the X-12 was the lightest at D3. The heaviest was the X-6 STR at D5, everything else was around D4.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i rolled these last week and have to say -- i'd be interested in getting one. when price comes down.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

@snagy2000 said:

@dwp10mm said:

They drag all Cameron demos on concrete to avoid them being stolen. Not sure how that's a deterrent, but that's what Titleist tells them to do.

LOL. Are you being serious? So I guess that gigantic alarm tag on the shaft that is so annoying to test a putter with doesn't help.

Cobra F8 3 wood
    Titleist 913f 17 degree
    Titleist 913H 23 degree
    Mizuno Fli-hi 5, MMC 6-P

@dwp10mm said:

@snagy2000 said:

@dwp10mm said:

LOL. Are you being serious? So I guess that gigantic alarm tag on the shaft that is so annoying to test a putter with doesn't help.

Yes, very serious. All the ones for sale are locked up. Store employee who told me they did this said it was the weirdest feeling to be scraping brand new putter bottoms on concrete.

• onetime19onetime19 Members Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Which retailer drags them on concrete? In all my years I have never seen this at any big box store, I'm in DFW, is this for certain stores only?

Titleist TS3 8.5 GD AD BB 6S
    Titleist TS3 15 GD AD BB 7S
    Titleist 818 H2 GD AD DI 85X
    Titleist AP3 4-P AMT Black S300
    Tileist Vokey SM7 F 5012 SM7 S 5810
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    Titleist Pro V1X
    Dos Equis Lager
    Balls deep
  • JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is getting weird...

M4 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | Nike VR Pro Combo | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Scotty SS Newport 2 350
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I putt a few with the 8. To my surprise, it looks great at address and is very stable throughout the stroke. I like it and will keep my eye out on one for a decent price. I scoffed at the release, but the 8 was very nice for me.

Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

@onetime19 said:
    Which retailer drags them on concrete? In all my years I have never seen this at any big box store, I'm in DFW, is this for certain stores only?

Both PGASS in Houston drag the bottoms on their SC demos.

@snagy2000 said:

@onetime19 said:

Both PGASS in Houston drag the bottoms on their SC demos.

I was at the PGASS in Kennesaw and all the Phantom X putters were very clearly scrapped on the bottom. Excessively so. I didn’t look at the bottom of the regular Newports.

Cobra F8 3 wood
    Titleist 913f 17 degree
    Titleist 913H 23 degree
    Mizuno Fli-hi 5, MMC 6-P
  • hanbergbhanbergb Stride and glide Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

These have been slowly getting into our local shop here, I was able to roll a few yesterday. I agree that they look a little ridiculous, but whatever gets the ball in the hole! I thought they felt better than I expected, firmer maybe? I noticed when using the X 12 that when I thought I had "missed" a stroke the ball still managed to catch an edge and find the hole. I will most likely add one to the rotation, pleasantly surprised.

PXG 0811 X Gen2 9* Tour Green ATX Proto 70TX

Callaway Rouge SZ 15* Tensei PRO White 80TX

PXG 0311 T 3-9 KBS C Taper X

Vokey SM7 Raw 46* 51* F grind 56* K grind 60* V grind

Piretti GSS 801

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file